Pictures of my 09 RDX with custom Church exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as I know, there isn't an independant dyno of just exhausts on a stock vehicle.

The church gains are combined with the Hondata flash and ATLP's own exhaust dyno on their website was stock but it didn't add much in the import tuner mag test.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Check it out this is what there saying when Church and Hondata dyno there RDX [ The dynopack revealed baseline numbers at 210 hp and 243lb-ft of torque with the reflash a quick dyno pull showed a peak of 237hp and 268lb-ft of torque - a gain of 27hp and 25lb-ft of torque over baseline then with the Church custom exhaust netted 40- plus horsepower and torque increase over stock and like I said this is coming from them look it up at Turbo magazine but the way that I feel my car I would not doubt it but I wont know fro sure till next month when I take it to get DYNO . http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/tu...ash/index.html
Old 02-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Hey CWEPRUK what do you think of your k&n typhoon thinking of getting an intake next week before I get it dyno but not sure between K & n and CPE did you remove all your plastic parts off your stock intake box to get it installed like with the CPE .
Old 02-14-2009, 10:54 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Right, so the Church exhaust made an additional 14hp on top of the re-flash to make 40hp overall!!
That sounds about right!
Whats also intresting is that the article says that church has a flash that moves the rpm limit to 8600rpms. Wow!!
Old 02-15-2009, 02:16 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crazycated
Hey CWEPRUK what do you think of your k&n typhoon thinking of getting an intake next week before I get it dyno but not sure between K & n and CPE did you remove all your plastic parts off your stock intake box to get it installed like with the CPE .

I'm happy with it, but IMO, they are both the same basic idea (metal tube, cone filter). I did remove all the plastic parts, though you can leave the stock "snorkel"/silencer with the K&N if you want (no real point). The K&N has a heat shield but the CP-E extends further to behind the headlight.

I personally think there would be zero performance difference between these, but K&N is a reputable/recognized name brand. These are both priced a bit similar as well.

IIRC, CP-E did actually play with the MAF housing a bit to trick AFR's to lean out the pig rich stock program a tiny bit - so it could be a bit better for power. With the Hondata, it gets even leaner though Hondata commented that they thought it was still safe.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
I did not realize that the performance section of the RDX forum was still going.

First, major apologies on my end. We originally had produced two prototype systems for the RDX, but both of the testers that we had prototype our exhausts, never came back with me with a review that was promised. One of them even worked for Import Tuner. After that incident, I didn't really hear much as far as interest and figured it wasn't a worthwhile project.

Until recently when a few clients started calling with interest in this exhaust, we decided to make a small limited batch. We are producing a batch of 5 right now, and there are 2 spots left. I hope one or two of the people will be able to give some individual feedback out of the few pre-ordered.

They will be available within a month, and if there is someone local, feel free to give me a PM if you want to check it out in person.

Finally, I never saw or heard the Church's exhaust in person, but I don't think the OP has heard or saw the ATLP exhaust in person, to be able to make a fair statement.
As far as power, please note that the dyno we used was a chassis dyno, four wheel drive, as well as in both times the atmosphere was constant. The dyno facility has it's on atmosphere controlled room. The dyno's used be Church were hub mounted which show less % loss on the results vs a chassis dyno. Our goal is not to net peak power, as we didn't feel the RDX was going to be used as a drag car. A lot of users prefer a usable power increase through the powerband, not just something that's suited for WOT only. We also wanted to keep in mind that this was a family SUV, where at times noise control will be important.

As far as the Church exhaust, I can't comment on it as I haven't seen or heard it in person. In general, dual mufflers, and dual pipes are just heavier and it's like having two full exhausts sytems in terms of weight.

Anyway, I wanted to give an update on what has happened during this period, as I realize no progress has been made. We will have a few left over when this batch is made, so feel free to e-mail or call me with questions. 818 746 6997.

I'll try to frequent this section more often.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Instructor

I just purchase my CP-E INTAKE from http://www.ExceleratePerformance.com it ships on Monday hopefully I could have it installed by the end of the week can't wait 3 more weeks before I go down to SO CAL to Church Automotive to have it dyno anybody in the SO cal area is more than welcome to come down with me to check it out .
Old 03-03-2009, 06:25 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
40 whp from a catback??? id will go a trade in my 294whp TL-S right now, if i can make 300whp/300wtq with an RDX with just a reflash, intake and exhaust

if the RDX is making that much power, and weighs under 4k lbs?? you should be running 13's

i like the church product, looks quality.. i like the ATLP product... looks quality too... exhaust is an exhaust, is an exhaust system....

the true dual of church may provide a few extra ponies (like noted above) but that thing has GOT to weigh 15-20lbs more than the ATLP....
I guess we will go to the dealership together Allon. Nice exhaust system.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Cruisin'

If I were looking at simply replacing the stock muffler with a Magnaflow muffler because I'm looking for just a little more growl, I think I need the model that has an in and out pipe on one end of the muffler and just an out pipe on the other end, correct? Does anyone know the diameters of the stock in/out pipes of the stock muffler? I'd like to go up in size a touch and add a slightly larger exhaust tip.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Ukrainian RDX

I've read this article about Church RDX very long time ago and still very fond of the results they gained from just reflash & exhaust. Still there were no news regarding the fact they sell their exhausts and as I could see there is no downpipe in their offer?

So they offer just only midpipe, catback & the muffler so far, yes?

Crazycated, did You have a chance to feel the effect from just the exhaust upgrade?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Hey Azzie, and everyone else, put your name down for the CP-E Down-pipe. Thats where all the power can be gained!!

Here :- https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...1#post10675451
Old 03-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Ukrainian RDX

Okay, mate. I'll sign in, but Church's exhaust still remains very interesting mod so far. And the most important thing: it does REALLY exhists and makes effect.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Maybe so, but it seems to weigh twice as much, which in my opinion is an unnecessary trade off.
It has been proven that by just deleting both cats, you can gain up to 30hp!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Azzie
I've read this article about Church RDX very long time ago and still very fond of the results they gained from just reflash & exhaust. Still there were no news regarding the fact they sell their exhausts and as I could see there is no downpipe in their offer?

So they offer just only midpipe, catback & the muffler so far, yes?

Crazycated, did You have a chance to feel the effect from just the exhaust upgrade?
No Azzie I did not I bought and installed both the reflash and the exhaust at the same time .
Old 03-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Instructor

Alright I finally dyno the RDX last week I actually lost some horsepower and some torque due too removing the piping from the stock air box and it sucking to much hot air not a good thing to do but sounds good . I lost 7.2 hp and 20 lbft of torque . I dyno the RDX with Hondata reflash and Church Exhaust creating 241.9 hp and 272 lbft of torque to the wheels the RDX should have dyno at 249.1 hp and 292.9 lbft of torque this is what Church's RDX dyno at with the same mods at first they were not sure why it was loosing the horsepower till they saw the piping missing from the air box . Later in the run we grabbed a plastic piece of tubing and stuck it facing up to get cold air and made it gain 6 hp just by adding a plastic tube back were the original piping was at . I did get a chance to add the CP-E intake while I was there but did not to get a chance to put it back on the dyno since it got late and other people were waiting. So I did not see the how much horsepower it made of a difference on it but it did lean it out more but Hondata said it would be fine due to the high altitude where I live at .
Old 03-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Instructor

Old 03-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Instructor

This is what Church Dyno their RDX with the same mods .
Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 AM
Instructor

Old 03-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Instructor

Here are some pictures of my old exhaust and new Exhaust .
Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Any video clips w/ a church exhaust???
Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Ukrainian RDX

Hey, Eddie. Few more Q's if You don't mind.

Did You buy this: K23A1-RDX-Church ECU flash program 8,600rpm rev limit: $595? I am asking this because Hondata insists that only THIS program will do for the modded exhausts. http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/tu...magnaflow.html

I could not find the catless downpipe at any of the pics? Was it there and is it legal to delete upstream catalytic converters in Cali?

Didn't Shawn himself or any of his employees tell You that any CAI (and CP-E especially) will terribly lean the mixture so that they'll need to fix their reflash or even offer to install the stock ECU.

Don't think I'm sarcastic. It's just weird that there are too many thoughts on one matter... TIA
Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Hey, Eddie. Few more Q's if You don't mind.

Did You buy this: K23A1-RDX-Church ECU flash program 8,600rpm rev limit: $595? I am asking this because Hondata insists that only THIS program will do for the modded exhausts. http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/tu...magnaflow.html

I could not find the catless downpipe at any of the pics? Was it there and is it legal to delete upstream catalytic converters in Cali?

Didn't Shawn himself or any of his employees tell You that any CAI (and CP-E especially) will terribly lean the mixture so that they'll need to fix their reflash or even offer to install the stock ECU.

Don't think I'm sarcastic. It's just weird that there are too many thoughts on one matter... TIA
Well there is no such ECU flash with 8,600 rev limit that was a typo 1 ECU only and it's at 7,200 rev limit . As for the the catless downpipe I have the stock piping with the first cat my exhaust system only deleted the second cat which would be the midpipe and I would probably not try to add one at all since it would lean the mixture more than what it is with the mods I have already would not be safe . On the CP-E question yes I was told but too late I already had it and no I did not know it would lean the mixture till after I had bought the intake I found out all the problems I was going to have since there was nobody else on here with these mods on there RDX . But Doug from Hondata was suppose to have been there the day I dyno my car to see if something could be done to fix the problem but never showed up instead he called and said it would be fine to go ahead and install it since I live in a high altitude area . That did not give me to much assurance so I have been running octane booster or 93 and higher octane on my car which fells real good if I continue to this but I wont to costly and I ran it once with 91 octane when I was down in SO CAL and it did not feel good and gutless . After all this I will be removing my CP-E intake and going back to stock or with the K & N INTAKE when I have the funds. The CP-E intake is only good if you use it alone or with 1 other mod only .
Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Ukrainian RDX

Thanks for Your prompt & detailed answer. In fact I learned about that misterious 8'600rpm reflash from this article, but I heard before that there is SOME reflash adopted for 3" exhaust and designed by Hondata in collaboration with Shawn Church. That's why I asked You what kind of reflash does Your car have now. The regular one offered by Hondata here or the one describe like
A custom reflash has been designed in conjunction with Church Automotive to work with with their 3" exhaust system. The exhaust + Church Auto reflash adds 40 HP over stock. Read about it on the Temple of VTEC. This reflash is only available for purchase from Church Automotive Testing.
I am wondering just because I do already have the reflashed ECU and now buillding custom 3" exhaust. Won't install any CAI too. Stock air filter element or K&N 332382.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:26 AM
8th Gear

wow nice car and nice mufflers
Old 05-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Thanks for Your prompt & detailed answer. In fact I learned about that misterious 8'600rpm reflash from this article, but I heard before that there is SOME reflash adopted for 3" exhaust and designed by Hondata in collaboration with Shawn Church. That's why I asked You what kind of reflash does Your car have now. The regular one offered by Hondata here or the one describe like

I am wondering just because I do already have the reflashed ECU and now buillding custom 3" exhaust. Won't install any CAI too. Stock air filter element or K&N 332382.
Yeah that's just a typo no such thing only one reflash available for our car .
Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Also I would not go with a downpipe not recommended .
Old 05-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Ukrainian RDX

Thanks again, Ed. It's all because of TurboMagazine article Hondata refers to at their official web-site and rumors-rumors, You know

Here's what Doug said:
Your air fuel ratios (12.5) look good to me - about what I would expect. The Church Automotive exhaust reflash never made it to market.

Do a custom exhaust with the K&N filter. The ECU will compensate by adding extra fuel for the extra air from the intake and exhaust.
I'd prefer Shawn Church exhaust, but it's too far from me and too heavy to ship and, moreover, I've been inquiring them several times and there were no answer that they are able to ship within the continental US not even speaking about export to Eastern Europe...

That's why the only option available to me is to clone PANG_CO solution - to manufacture custom 3" catless downpipe & midpipe. Will dynotest my car later with all those mods and fresh new spark plugs installed.

BTW, what do You think 'bout Hondata manifold gasket? I learned that K20A will fit but I still don't know is it efficient and is it hard to install?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Yeah I have that to it's great you wont notice any HP but the intake will be cooler which creates more power but again not noticable . This is my second intake manifold gasket and reflash from Hondata had one on my 2006 CIVIC SI . As for installing it it's easy had more problems with the install with my SI .
Old 05-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Ukrainian RDX

I think that car performance is less laggy with their gasket. That's my first aid to the volcano heated TMIC until I find smb to produce FMIC.

When you descend a hill with the throttle closed or drive around town on a light throttle the temperature climbs quickly. It takes a good 15-20 seconds for the temperature to drop again when you open the throttle. So if you start your 1/4 mile drag with a hot intake manifold - you are only starting to develop maximum power near the end of the run when the intake has been cooled. The Heatshield gasket kit gives you 4-5% more power immediately by lowering the intake temperature.
http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html#Details
Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 AM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Crazycated, my exhaust came in! I'll pick up my car from the body shop Monday. I can't wait!!! I'll take pics of the exhaust when I get it. I'll get the reflash later this month, I hope. I'm going to take your advise and get the regular K&N air filter to use with it.