eBay intakes ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2023 | 12:57 PM
10th Gear

eBay intakes ?

What’s up with these eBay intakes and filters ?

some are 90 bucks some are 500 bucks??

Why the price difference, is there a difference? Are these a rip off ? They look just like other RDX after market intakes?

should I buy the 80$ one and see what happens ??

someone explain please

Expensive one

Cheap one

Old 03-26-2023 | 10:47 PM
I ain't right In the head

I wonder the exact same thing. AEM and Injen are very well known CAI manufacturers, and they are quite expensive. Not $500. More like $350
Old 03-31-2023 | 11:38 PM
Intermediate

There is no real difference between the two intakes. What eBay sellers often do, is when a specific item is out of stock, rather than take the listing down and put it back up when the item is back in stock, they leave the listing up, but jack up the price to an almost unreasonable amount, to keep people from purchasing that specific item. Once its back in stock, they lower the price back down to the normal level. Its a lot less work to change the price, than delete and create new listings every time, especially on a large scale when you're managing an eBay store with thousands of listings.
Old 04-07-2023 | 09:20 PM
10th Gear

Ok thanks for that info corweena

should I buy one??? Lol.

it looks just like the K&N ?! What could be the dangers ?
Old 04-07-2023 | 11:42 PM
Intermediate

The biggest difference between the K&N and a cheap ebay intake will be the filter. Simply put, those no-name filters are trash, and I wouldn't trust them to filter any harmful particles that the intake may suck in. The K&N design is much cleaner as well, its a smoothly curved intake arm vs the clunkier tube & elbow design of the generic one. Is the K&N nicer? No doubt, but is it worth $400? Not in my opinion. Even the generic intake arm isn't worth it to me....you can easily build yourself a similar designed, but better quality intake for a bit more money. A good AEM or K&N filter is $70-80, then say $40 for the MAF sensor tube + another short tube, and then $20 for a silicone elbow and coupler. That puts you in the $130ish range for an identical intake with a far superior quality filter.

I've actually been working on building myself a true cold air intake (filter in the bumper, not the engine bay), and I'm currently sitting at bout $220 total for the project. I got a few things left to tweak fitment wise, as well as paint the tubing, but it was overall super easy to build.

Old 04-08-2023 | 12:23 AM
I ain't right In the head

Originally Posted by Corweena
The biggest difference between the K&N and a cheap ebay intake will be the filter. Simply put, those no-name filters are trash, and I wouldn't trust them to filter any harmful particles that the intake may suck in. The K&N design is much cleaner as well, its a smoothly curved intake arm vs the clunkier tube & elbow design of the generic one. Is the K&N nicer? No doubt, but is it worth $400? Not in my opinion. Even the generic intake arm isn't worth it to me....you can easily build yourself a similar designed, but better quality intake for a bit more money. A good AEM or K&N filter is $70-80, then say $40 for the MAF sensor tube + another short tube, and then $20 for a silicone elbow and coupler. That puts you in the $130ish range for an identical intake with a far superior quality filter.

I've actually been working on building myself a true cold air intake (filter in the bumper, not the engine bay), and I'm currently sitting at bout $220 total for the project. I got a few things left to tweak fitment wise, as well as paint the tubing, but it was overall super easy to build.
Did you find a place that sells bent tubing or do you have a way to bend the tubing yourself?
Old 04-08-2023 | 10:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Igotissues666
Did you find a place that sells bent tubing or do you have a way to bend the tubing yourself?
I actually purchased a cheap generic intake kit for an older Honda Accord, and cut up the pipe to fit, and tossed everything else in the trash.
Old 04-08-2023 | 11:10 AM
10th Gear

Veeeery cool

thanks for the info and inspo. It does seem like a task that’s not too hard with a little know how.

I get the idea, get cold air into the engine.

not too complicated.

I’ve seen people say certain intakes will throw codes.

I don’t want to throw any codes but I do want the fun swoosh sound.

Any info on why certain intakes throw a code and how to avoid?

I know it has to do with air to fuel mix.

sounds like this may become a fun summer project.
Old 04-10-2023 | 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jbnyc
Veeeery cool

thanks for the info and inspo. It does seem like a task that’s not too hard with a little know how.

I get the idea, get cold air into the engine.

not too complicated.

I’ve seen people say certain intakes will throw codes.

I don’t want to throw any codes but I do want the fun swoosh sound.

Any info on why certain intakes throw a code and how to avoid?

I know it has to do with air to fuel mix.

sounds like this may become a fun summer project.
As long as you keep your intake piping at 3in diameter, (at least for the MAF housing), you should be good. The only time I've read people have issues is if you step up to a larger diameter MAF housing.

Here's some updated pics of the intake. Swapped out the silicone elbows for another brand with much better quality (and longer ends). I also painted the aluminum tubing with wrinkle black paint to finish it off, and keep it a little less flashy.

If you want links to any of the parts I used, let me know. That way you won't have to do as much trial and error as I did, if you don't want to.
The following users liked this post:
Igotissues666 (04-11-2023)
Old 09-24-2024 | 11:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corweena
As long as you keep your intake piping at 3in diameter, (at least for the MAF housing), you should be good. The only time I've read people have issues is if you step up to a larger diameter MAF housing.

Here's some updated pics of the intake. Swapped out the silicone elbows for another brand with much better quality (and longer ends). I also painted the aluminum tubing with wrinkle black paint to finish it off, and keep it a little less flashy.

If you want links to any of the parts I used, let me know. That way you won't have to do as much trial and error as I did, if you don't want to.
i'm interested in the links, if you don't mind, if you're still on this forum lol thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-2024 | 05:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 98ej8
i'm interested in the links, if you don't mind, if you're still on this forum lol thanks in advance!
I actually would sell the intake to you if you'd be interested....I swapped to a front mount intercooler, and had to modify my intake....I ended up only re-using the filter itself. All the piping and elbows are just sitting. All you'd need to buy is a fresh filter (which I can link). I'll even include an AEM Hydro Shield wrap for the filter, which protects it from sucking in any water.
98ej8 (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 09:08 PM
Intermediate

Hmm I'm interested I'll dm you. What did you have to do to make it work with the front mount? Also which intercooler are you running? I'd like to swap mine as well. Thanks
Old 09-25-2024 | 09:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 98ej8
Hmm I'm interested I'll dm you. What did you have to do to make it work with the front mount? Also which intercooler are you running? I'd like to swap mine as well. Thanks
With the front mount intercooler, all I have now is a 90 degree elbow (see below). Planning on getting a custom welded intake in the future.

The FMIC setup is a custom one I got from another RDX owner. It was made by J Fletcher, a member here (forget his username, its "thewrench" or something similar). Not sure if he makes them anymore. I found this one for sale on one of the RDX Facebook groups.

98ej8 (09-26-2024)
Old 10-06-2024 | 04:27 PM
1st Gear

New Owner

Hi,
I test drove and decided to purchase this bad boy today, a 2010 with 118k on it. I am looking to do this air intake and I definitely need the links. If you add the FMIC too does it all fit? I also saw a cool video of someone setting up a nice blow off valve on youtube. Can't wait to start this journey.

UOTE=Corweena;16880687]As long as you keep your intake piping at 3in diameter, (at least for the MAF housing), you should be good. The only time I've read people have issues is if you step up to a larger diameter MAF housing.

If you want links to any of the parts I used, let me know. That way you won't have to do as much trial and error as I did, if you don't want to.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-06-2024 | 08:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Isaacl86
Hi,
I test drove and decided to purchase this bad boy today, a 2010 with 118k on it. I am looking to do this air intake and I definitely need the links. If you add the FMIC too does it all fit? I also saw a cool video of someone setting up a nice blow off valve on youtube. Can't wait to start this journey.
This intake setup didn't quite clear the design of my FMIC piping, which is why I just sold it. Some other kits it may, it just depends on the route the intercooler piping takes. I also plan on getting a custom welded cold air intake arm in the future, so I'm not worried about it anymore.

Here are the links for the setup:

2x of these 3" 90 degree silicone elbows
Amazon Amazon

1x of these 3" extension pipes
Amazon Amazon

1x of these 3" silicone coupler
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175625467351

1x of these 3" MAF pipes
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131397399474

1x pack of these 3" hose clamps
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184781585670

1x of these 6G Accord intake arms (which will need to be cut to become the cold air extension)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382255092920

This is approximately where you will cut the intake arm.

I highly recommend you DO NOT use the cheap filter that comes with the intake. I tossed all the hardware that came with it. I used a quality AEM Dryflow filter....this one:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Corweena; 10-06-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2024 | 10:07 PM
4th Gear

Hey! Just tested out an aftermarket Blow off valve on mine and would not recommend going anything but stock. My blow off valve was impossible to adjust in any way that didn't cause flutter and slight backfiring/running rich. Adding an intake will make the recirc that comes stock plenty loud (You can check my recent post in the 1G performance parts for a video).