DIY Mister System for Reduced Heat Soak

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
DIY Mister System for Reduced Heat Soak

I got this idea from Doug back from the Flash Pro beta testing. This is a work in progress but the only a few steps remain. I started test fitting this last night and it worked so well that I kept it in place until I finish up the bracket to secure the reservoir, install the hobbs switch, and tidy up the setup.

Here's the parts list:
ebay - mister system http://goo.gl/zEfIHQ
atpturbo - hobbs switch http://goo.gl/ICusfI
ebay - windshield wiper kit (there are cheaper, but this one is made in Japan.) http://goo.gl/CMSLrs

Parts list notes: The mister system and wiper kit above will work together perfectly. You can probably find cheaper locally but the tubing is decent and the misters feel top notch. Otherwise plan on getting 1/4" tubing, some misters from home depot, and the above windshield wiper kit and everything should match up nicely. I hold my reservations on the reservoir pump not being large enough and that the misters may not produce enough air in the ratio. Can't wait to test it out.

This exact configuration may only work with a K&N Typhoon intake. Other intakes may require mounting the water reservoir in a different location.

You need to remove the stock intake tube that connects to the OEM/stock air intake if you haven't already. I kept mine in place thinking it might provide a little more fresh air but after disassembly it doesn't look like much air could travel through it without suction from the intake.

I'm planning on securing the reservoir to my ecu bracket with a custom made tab of steel/aluminum that will extend over to the reservoir bracket. The final pic below shows a zip tie securing the reservoir. This is temporary until the bracket is made. In this pic, you can see the bolt from the bracket that I will tap into.

I routed the water hose/tube behind the ecu and up under the seal next to the shock tower cover. Next run it through the firewall(?) of the hood. It's a bit tough and be careful because you can damage the firewall if you don't do it patiently. There is a catalyst sticker and gap in the firewall that makes the fishing a little easier. Keep running it up through to the top and it should pop out near the indent in the hood.

From there you can run the tubing over the fresh air grill and plan out your mister placement and use some zip ties to secure the tubing.

If you don't want to go the hobbs switch route, the windshield wiper kit does come with a switch if you'd like to manually turn the misting system on. The hobbs switch is an adjustable boost switch which will turn the system on under specified boost.

DIY Mister System for Reduced Heat Soak-42f3adp.jpg

DIY Mister System for Reduced Heat Soak-vlw1vik.jpg
nice channel for the tube to run through.

DIY Mister System for Reduced Heat Soak-zjov0g6.jpg
Add a zip tie here to prevent the tube from slipping out of the compartment. You could run it behind the hinge, but when I test fit the tube that way it was rough and seemed to add more of a bend in the tube when the hood was closed.

DIY Mister System for Reduced Heat Soak-f4udzwx.jpg

DIY Mister System for Reduced Heat Soak-77cgsm9.jpg
notice the indent mentioned previously.

DIY Mister System for Reduced Heat Soak-rqnxa4w.jpg

DIY Mister System for Reduced Heat Soak-dmz26qv.jpg

DIY Mister System for Reduced Heat Soak-m0kpzb2.jpg
I will tap into the ecu bracket bolt and extend a piece of aluminum/steel to connect to the reservoir bracket.

Here's a link to some more pics:
http://imgur.com/a/6OMrO#0
The following users liked this post:
josiahmgillespie (01-06-2021)
Old 12-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very interesting.. you will have to do a video to show it working.. i would be curious on the end result..
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
that is a pretty cool mod... why not use the sprayers found on the STI's, for example?. Is the mist from these foggers a lot finer?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Cool!

Be sure to use only distilled water. Anything else and you will build up scale on the I/C.

Are you planning to do anything to keep the water off the block? An aluminum diverter may be easy and helpful.

Does it work? Have you monitored you intake temps with and without it pumping?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
no different than rain passing through... probably finer.

but yes, distilled so you don't clog up your misters and pumps and IC
Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Pro

user65 how about sharing an update?

AEM (30-3301) V2 5-Gallon Water/Methanol Injection Kit with HD Controller and Internal MAP Sensor : Amazon.com : Automotive AEM (30-3301) V2 5-Gallon Water/Methanol Injection Kit with HD Controller and Internal MAP Sensor : Amazon.com : Automotive

This is an AEM system and Banks also make them. You can inject water or water and methanol for intake cooling.
http://www.bankspower.com/products/g...ol%20Injection
Anyone? I'm sure the switch, pump, tank, feeders and tubing could be used and cost way less than injecting into the intake as these two systems do. Mount the 5gal tank in the back (where the spare would be if I carried it) More wt at the back will help a bit to balance frt/bk wts.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:43 AM
Pro

user65? user65? Buehler? Ferris Buehler?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 AM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
like^
Old 03-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Sorry fellas, I've been pondering letting the RDX go since shortly after starting the project. If anyone wants to see it through, I'll send em the parts for free + shipping. It includes all the hosing precut with misters attached, the reservoir with pump, and a hobbes switch for activating the pump.

Would love to see someone continue what I couldn't, so hit me up via PM. I can explain the rest of the install from what Doug at hondata told me.