Cruise Control..Automatic off/on..??

Old 04-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control..Automatic off/on..??

I love my cruise control. On long drives it allows me to arrive at my distination much less tired and more "refreshed" than otherwise.

But.

Driving, say, from Seattle to north central montana there are often times, lots of them actaully, when I am much more confortable taking control, temporary control, of the vehicle's speed.

That happens mostly in the mountains on the freeway and with long sweeping curves, Fourth of July Pass in Idaho. I find my self somewhat uncomfortable allowing the cruise control to do the driving through that upcoming curve.

So I find myself tapping the brake pedal lightly so as to disengage cruise control, driving through the curve under MY speed control (most likely not allowing the speed to decline even a smidgen) and then re-engaging the cruise control system once clear of the curve.

So with DBW, E-throttle, why not have the cruise control system "sense" that I have a significant level of pressure on the gas pedal, drop out of speed control mode until I again fully release the gas pedal, and then automatically resume control..??

Thoughts..??
Old 04-02-2008, 04:50 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
because the pedal cant sense your pressure, unless you accelerate...even with dbw you will notice the pedal is depressed to the level to maintain your speed with cruise control. it does not sit at the start position (for lack of better term). however you can accelerate more by depressing the pedal further... when you let go it will resume the previous speed
Old 04-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neo1738
because the pedal cant sense your pressure, unless you accelerate...even with dbw you will notice the pedal is depressed to the level to maintain your speed with cruise control. it does not sit at the start position (for lack of better term). however you can accelerate more by depressing the pedal further... when you let go it will resume the previous speed
With DBW there is NO mechanical coupling between the gas pedal and the throttle plate. The gas pedal uses a simple and light return spring to resist your foot pressure and has a pedal position sensor, two actually, for redundancy, and the throttle plate is driven by a servomotor in response to the position sensor signal from the gas pedal.

It is possible that some vendor has a servomotor at the gas pedal to keep it's position in synchronization with the throttle plate position but I don't know of one and don't really see the need.

Oops...

Oh...

Are there any cruise control systems out there in the market that actuate the DBW gas pedal directly/mechanically instead of separately, directly, control the throttle plate..??

Hadn't thought of that until I realized that my '99 911/996 C2 probably operated that why.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not RDX specific, take it to car talk....

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/