Installing the roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing the roof rack

Has anyone done a DIY for the roof rack on the RDX? Would it be doable by yourself? My primary concern is the cutting section of the whole installation process.

Please advise!
Old 10-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Instructor

i have the same question!
Old 10-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

Wink

Just did the DIY for the roof rack. Couple things you should be aware of if you decide to install the rack yourself.

When pulling out the liner, be extremely careful. If you lift the liner a little bit, you should be able to see the clips attached to the liner. Only pry where the clips are at. Otherwise, you would crack the clips. Not that it is a big problem, but it hurts to hear that noise.

You should always leave some extra space in the cutting section. When you install the actual roof rack by yourself, the measurement they provide are perfectly aligned. Any cutting short or too long would show a space in between. Definitely should be aware of the cutting section.

If you worry about cutting the liner, you can always take the liner to some automotive stores and ask them to cut it for your for maybe $10 - $20? I got mine cut at a local store. Luckily, they did not charge me anything.

Now comes the most important part... I am not sure whether it only applies to me or what.

The roof rack I purchased is OEM from an Acura dealership. You would expect it to be a perfect fit installation. But when I try to install the roof rack, the screw that installs the front and the rear end of the rack fits perfectly. However, the center section screw was a bit off. I had to enlarge the hole bigger to make it into an oval shape in order to install the roof rack. Minor adjustment, but kills the mood.

Whether you decide to DIY the roof rack, or take it out to install it. Personally, I think the mechanics outside would install the same way as I did. Or maybe I just happen to be the unlucky one.

Good Luck!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:03 PM
9th Gear

here are the instructions for all the RDX and any other acura accessory. nice prices too.

https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.c...tructions/rdx/
Old 12-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Racer

i just recieved mine today. Going to put it on tonight. I already tried to take the moulding up, and it's not easy. You gotta take your time and go slow.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Racer

Okay. Well, spent the night in my garage installing the roof rack. Time to install: 3 hours. It would have taken horter, but I ran into some issues.

First, pulling up the moulding wasnt easy. The clips are tough, but I managed. Taking my time. Cutting the moulding was a pain, but not difficult either. Just all that sawing was a pain.

The problem area was lining up the welded bolts on the frame to the rails. The instr say to attach the rails to the center stays first, then bolt down the front and rear. I had a real hard time lining up the bolts. So, I loosened up the center ones, then shifted around the rail until all the torx nuts would grab on to the bolts. Then tighten down the front and rears, then the center.

One other thing. The front cross bar was short by a half inch. It wouldnt make it to the threaded holder on one side. I found out that the cross bar can actually slide out from the end caps. It pulled out, and I was able to tighten it down.

It's late and dark, so I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CSpaR
Okay. Well, spent the night in my garage installing the roof rack. Time to install: 3 hours. It would have taken horter, but I ran into some issues.

First, pulling up the moulding wasnt easy. The clips are tough, but I managed. Taking my time. Cutting the moulding was a pain, but not difficult either. Just all that sawing was a pain.

The problem area was lining up the welded bolts on the frame to the rails. The instr say to attach the rails to the center stays first, then bolt down the front and rear. I had a real hard time lining up the bolts. So, I loosened up the center ones, then shifted around the rail until all the torx nuts would grab on to the bolts. Then tighten down the front and rears, then the center.

One other thing. The front cross bar was short by a half inch. It wouldnt make it to the threaded holder on one side. I found out that the cross bar can actually slide out from the end caps. It pulled out, and I was able to tighten it down.

It's late and dark, so I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up.

Pretty much the same experience that I had. I just installed it last Tuesday...
Old 12-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Racer

Seems to be a reacurring issue with these racks. Maybe the next guy will have an easier time after reading these posts.

Last edited by CSpaR; 12-03-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Intermediate

How is the moonroof deflector treating you? I was thinking of getting one... But then I was thinking the moonroof on the RDX is very small already... getting a deflector would cover it even more ... What do you think? Worth it or not?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Instructor

jamezckf, while you didn't pose the question to me, I'm going to chime in anyway.

I would advise against it. They tend to damage the paint (only noticeable upon removal, but man, that was a bummer), they cover too much of the roof (as you suggested) and tend to add a degree of wind noise.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jamezckf
How is the moonroof deflector treating you? I was thinking of getting one... But then I was thinking the moonroof on the RDX is very small already... getting a deflector would cover it even more ... What do you think? Worth it or not?
Yes, it's a matter of personal preference. I like the look of it and wont be taking it off. It does cover some of the moon roof, which is small in the first place.

The visor is more of a look vs any great benifits.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamezckf
I too like mine. It certainly quieted the wind noise while open vs not having it on there. That little shield that pops up when you open the sunroof to deflect the wind over the opening just didn't cut it for me. And I like the look of it as well. Didn't really bother me much that it covered up some of the opening. Cutting down the wind noise was more important. Just my
Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 AM
9th Gear

i like the deflector too. i helps block the sun (tinted) from hitting you in the eyes when the moon roof is open on a sunny day.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Advanced

I was so close to ordering one until i saw one in person. The roof visor is HUGE. Check out the photos of my neighbor's rdx next to mine.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AcuraRDX...76128542758882

Scroll through the album for more photos. I'm thinking of the hood deflector but if its the same material as the roof visor, i'm hesitant.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by scryana
I was so close to ordering one until i saw one in person. The roof visor is HUGE. Check out the photos of my neighbor's rdx next to mine.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AcuraRDX...76128542758882

Scroll through the album for more photos. I'm thinking of the hood deflector but if its the same material as the roof visor, i'm hesitant.

Love the album lots of pics to get some insight. thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 AM
1st Gear

Hello -
I just bought a used 2007 RDX (black) and have been searching the internet for a chrome/silver roof rack. The standard black roof rack is okay but does not standout in a black car.

Does anyone know where can I get a chrome/silver roof rack?