Fog Lights w/ Parking Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008 | 11:47 PM
3rd Gear

Fog Lights w/ Parking Lights

Does anybody know how to wire the fog lights to come on with my parking lights?
Old 05-22-2008 | 04:22 PM
Banned

Anyone???? Bueller???? I'd like to do this also.
Old 05-28-2008 | 10:38 AM
ddb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alexandros
Anyone???? Bueller???? I'd like to do this also.
Why?
Old 05-28-2008 | 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ddb
Why?
Because.
Old 05-30-2008 | 07:26 AM
Instructor

If anybody has a wiring diagram for the RDX, I'm sure I could figure it out. I made the change on my old Subaru back in 2000...it was a simple matter of cutting and splicing some wires around a relay or two in the dashboard... It took maybe 20 minutes of effort once I knew which wires were which.
Old 05-30-2008 | 10:47 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

umm if you leave your fog light switch in the on position wont it come on with parking lights? or only with headlighs?
Old 05-30-2008 | 11:12 AM
Banned

Factory setting is for the fogs to come on only when the headlights have been turned on. That's why the question in the first place.
Old 05-30-2008 | 12:00 PM
ddb
Instructor

Because.
Allow me to re-phrase my question. What function is gained in having the ability to turn on just the fog lights and parking lights? Is there some sort of environment in which such a light setup is useful, or is it due to a desire to look cool?

Thanks!
DDB
Old 05-30-2008 | 12:05 PM
Pro

Man I didn't know so many people lived in areas with a lot of fog. Don't quite understand the use of fog lights when there is no fog. Hence why they are called "fog" lights. I find them very annoying at night when people have them on with no fog. Just like Europe I think there should be fines for having them on if not necessary.
Old 05-30-2008 | 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ddb
Allow me to re-phrase my question. What function is gained in having the ability to turn on just the fog lights and parking lights? Is there some sort of environment in which such a light setup is useful, or is it due to a desire to look cool?

Thanks!
DDB
The function gained (for me) is the ability to control the amount and kind of light that my vehicle projects onto the road. There are times when I'm just going to make a short trip to the grocery store, etc. when I don't want to use the HIDs because of the shortness of the distance and the DRLs just aren't bright enough to do any good.

Also, I feel that the use of fog lights should be limited as much as posible (see exception above) to when there are foggy conditions. When that is the case, and I have to turn on the HIDs, it greatly diminishes the usefulness of the fogs due to the fog reflecting back a lot of the output from the HIDs.

It's got nothing to do with "looking cool" as you put it but more to do with preference, control, and safety issues. Does that answer satisfy your curiosity?

Alex
Old 05-30-2008 | 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phoward_15
Man I didn't know so many people lived in areas with a lot of fog. Don't quite understand the use of fog lights when there is no fog. Hence why they are called "fog" lights. I find them very annoying at night when people have them on with no fog. Just like Europe I think there should be fines for having them on if not necessary.
Where I live it's not uncommon to have foggy conditions so while it's not a must to have fog lights to drive around here, it is safer often times. Unfortunately that still doesn't stop most folks from turning them on all the time. Some manufacturers even choose to use the fog lights as the Daytime Runnin Lights (Acura does that on the MDX).
Old 05-30-2008 | 07:30 PM
Racer

Unless the fog lights run brighter than the headlights I really don't care if people use them all the time.
Old 05-31-2008 | 09:14 AM
3rd Gear

Correct me if I am wrong, but they are technically not fog lights because they have no yellow bulbs to pierce through the fog. Aren't they driving lights unless you change the bulbs.
Old 06-04-2008 | 07:09 PM
Pro

many people have asked this question in the 3G TL forums..assuming that the TL & RDX have the same setup.. the general consensus is that its not possible since the fogs, parking lights, headlights are all controlled through a computer. let me rephrase that..its not an easy switch. it is possible if you put another switch and hardwire your fogs to that switch - then just manually turn them on/off
Old 06-05-2008 | 11:01 AM
ddb
Instructor

The function gained (for me) is the ability to control the amount and kind of light that my vehicle projects onto the road. There are times when I'm just going to make a short trip to the grocery store, etc. when I don't want to use the HIDs because of the shortness of the distance and the DRLs just aren't bright enough to do any good.
The above parapraph is a joke, right? Apparently, you feel that the amount of light needed to operate your vehicle is somehow dependent upon the length of your trip? I assume you are aware that DRLs are not intended to (ever) provide enough light by which to operate the vehicle - that they are intended to make you visible to others during daylight operation (that's why they're called "Daytime RUNNING Lights", as opposed to, say for example "Dusk Headlamps").

Also, I feel that the use of fog lights should be limited as much as posible (see exception above) to when there are foggy conditions. When that is the case, and I have to turn on the HIDs, it greatly diminishes the usefulness of the fogs due to the fog reflecting back a lot of the output from the HIDs.
More joking, I hope?! If not, I would suggest that you have the aim of your headlamps inspected. If you are in a situation where the fog is such that you feel the only way you can safely operate your vehicle is by turning off the low-beam headlamps, you might consider pulling to the side of the road and waiting for conditions to improve, particularly if you are concerned about the your safety and that of others on the road around you.

Don't know the laws up in Canada, but it is illegal in several US states to operate fog lights independent of headlights (despite the fact that many cars actually allow you to do such). California law, for example, states that "A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps."

It's got nothing to do with "looking cool" as you put it but more to do with preference, control, and safety issues. Does that answer satisfy your curiosity?Alex
Hmm, I'm still not sold that the motivation is anything other than looking cool. But hey, here's hoping somebody tracks down that wiring diagram and actually tries to mess with the wiring. No doubt it will lead to some comical new threads along the lines of "HELP: lots of electrical problems, dealer wants $2,800 to repair!"

- DDB
Old 06-05-2008 | 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ddb
The above parapraph is a joke, right? Apparently, you feel that the amount of light needed to operate your vehicle is somehow dependent upon the length of your trip? I assume you are aware that DRLs are not intended to (ever) provide enough light by which to operate the vehicle - that they are intended to make you visible to others during daylight operation (that's why they're called "Daytime RUNNING Lights", as opposed to, say for example "Dusk Headlamps").
Boy do you ever like to read in a lot of extra meaning in plain statements. Where did you read me state that "the amount of light needed to operate my vehicle is somehow dependent upon the length of my trip"? Are you delusional or something? And I am perfectly aware what DRL's are for since they have been mandated in Canada since 1991 and hence my statement that the DRL's DO NOT provide enough light. Clean the shit out between your ears.

Originally Posted by ddb
More joking, I hope?! If not, I would suggest that you have the aim of your headlamps inspected. If you are in a situation where the fog is such that you feel the only way you can safely operate your vehicle is by turning off the low-beam headlamps, you might consider pulling to the side of the road and waiting for conditions to improve, particularly if you are concerned about the your safety and that of others on the road around you.
If I am ever joking, you'll know it. Well....maybe not you since logic, intelligence, and common sense seem to completely elude you. Since you don't live where I do and have no idea of how much fog we get or how thick it is, I'm not even going to dignify the above ridiculous paragraph with a response.

Originally Posted by ddb
Hmm, I'm still not sold that the motivation is anything other than looking cool. But hey, here's hoping somebody tracks down that wiring diagram and actually tries to mess with the wiring. No doubt it will lead to some comical new threads along the lines of "HELP: lots of electrical problems, dealer wants $2,800 to repair!"
Since I can't convince you, then do me a favour and simply stay out of the thread. No one asked for your condescending remarks (certainly not I) and if you don't have anything constructive to add then go away. All I ever see from you is posts where you disagree with a point or opinon someone is making. Get a life and find some other hobby to keep you busy.
Old 06-06-2008 | 08:11 AM
ddb
Instructor

Boy do you ever like to read in a lot of extra meaning in plain statements. Where did you read me state that "the amount of light needed to operate my vehicle is somehow dependent upon the length of my trip"? Are you delusional or something? And I am perfectly aware what DRL's are for since they have been mandated in Canada since 1991 and hence my statement that the DRL's DO NOT provide enough light. Clean the shit out between your ears.
Well, I guess since you've now abandoned the actual topic and resorted to insults and swearing, I can consider this discussion with you over. Maybe somebody else will be able to have a level-headed discussion about the need for fog lights without headlights.

Thanks in advance to anybody here who is able to have an adult conversation.

- DDB
Old 06-06-2008 | 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ddb
Well, I guess since you've now abandoned the actual topic and resorted to insults and swearing, I can consider this discussion with you over. Maybe somebody else will be able to have a level-headed discussion about the need for fog lights without headlights.

Thanks in advance to anybody here who is able to have an adult conversation.

- DDB
The discussion here was completely civil and adult until you got involved with childish questions like "Why?". You then proceed to insult me by stating that my opinion must be a joke. Simply because you don't agree with me. An adult doesn't act like that. An adult listens, takes time to process the other person's point and makes an informed decision whether or not they agree.

If you don't have anything constructive to add, then stay out of the thread or go troll on some other board. Just because you don't agree with someone else's point of view, it doesn't give you the right to to be rude, condescending, and insulting to another forum member.

Your opinion isn't the ony one and it certainly isn't the only correct one just because it's yours. If you want a discussion....an adult one as you put it......then calm down with the attacks and learn to get along with the rest of us here that are looking to learn more about our RDXs, do some of our own work on them, customize them to our liking and tastes, and increase our general knowledge.

Alex
Old 06-09-2008 | 12:59 PM
Instructor

actually, this thread got derailed pretty early on...as do all threads of this nature on this forum.

Someone is asking HOW to do something to his car. He shouldn't have to suffer the arrogance of 50 people telling him he's stupid for wanting to do it! He didn't ask for opinions on it, he asked for how to do it. If you don't know, shut the F up...seriously. this forum annoys me because it happens with EVERYTHING someone asks about.
Old 09-06-2008 | 11:51 AM
8th Gear

Like someone said earlier, if the wiring diagram is posted for the switch in the steering stalk, I, as well as others, can figure it out. It shouldn't be that complicated...I did it on my STi....

Why, because I wanted to.
Old 09-06-2008 | 03:52 PM
Pro

i believe that the fogs are run through the computer of the car. as you turn on the fogs from within the car, it send a signal to the computer and the comp will turn on the fogs. if you want ur fogs to turn on with your DRLs you need to bypass the computer and put a switch on the interior with different wiring to the fogs. similar to installing fogs on a car that did not come with them.
Old 09-06-2008 | 04:14 PM
Safety Car

Where did you read me state that "the amount of light needed to operate my vehicle is somehow dependent upon the length of my trip"?
Well, I read that in this statement:

There are times when I'm just going to make a short trip to the grocery store, etc. when I don't want to use the HIDs because of the shortness of the distance...
But whatever, it's your car, so to build on what playa4real posted:

All of the electrical funtions -- from security to windows to lighting -- is controlled by the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit, which is a part of the under-dash fuse/relay box.

When you use the combination light swich (the turn signal stalk), you are actually sending a request to the MICU, which in turn will power the relays for the parking lights and the fog lights. In the case of the fog lights, the MICU must see that "on" conditions are met, ie: headlights on and high beams off.

The CLS only communicates with the MICU, so the fog light relay would have to be cut from the MICU and powered by parking light relay output to avoid MICU fog light logic, and still control the fogs from the CLS parking light position. The problem is that the parking lights are on a 15A fuse and the fogs are on a 20A fuse.

As playa4real said; it may be better to run power from the under-hood fuse/relay box to a dedicated fog switch, and cut out the MICU and under-dash fuse/relay and CLS altogether.

Last edited by XLR8R; 09-06-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2008 | 09:06 AM
User-approved

Actually I find the need for illumination to be inversely proportional to the shortness of the distance. So, when going to the corner mailbox, instead of using HIDs, fogs, parking lights, whatever, there is no better device than a Petzl Ultra. No special wiring needed!