DIY Replacing the field coil on the Air conditioning compressor - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine RDX Community > First Generation RDX (2007-2012) > 1G RDX DIY & FAQ
Reload this Page >

DIY Replacing the field coil on the Air conditioning compressor

Notices

DIY Replacing the field coil on the Air conditioning compressor

Old 06-24-2016, 05:16 PM
"Like None Other"

Ok, so I just got my parts in (coil and clutch) from acura and I also did some small diagnostics while waiting for the fed ex guy. It seems the clutch engages just fine when the car has been sitting a while but then after about 5 mintues (maybe less), the clutch doesnt engage/cycle anymore. I replaced and swapped the relays already but this doesnt change the clutch behavior. Any insight on this? A mechanic friend of mine is leaning toward the a/c pressure switch being bad but are they know to go bad? I am think the coil is shot? Any thoughts?
Old 08-13-2016, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Did this job today, replacing the field coil, ugh. The TSB said to replace it while down at the bottom through the wheel well but pulling the compressor up to the top is easier. Of course as I was putting it back down I knicked the radiator and sprung a leak, ugh. Have JB weld on it right now, hope it holds. Thanks for the writeup, it was great. I bought a 3 jaw puller from harbor freight and it worked perfect to pull the pulley.

After I was talking to a friend, he told me next time put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to avoid damage, great advise, too late for me.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:09 PM

Any one have tips on putting the pulley back on? Mine is not going on easy and I don't want to damage the bearing or compressor shaft. I tried using a rubber mallet, but with the limited working area and nothing really holding the compressor firmly, it's not going in easily.

For anyone planning to try this replacement, be sure to get the correct ring plier to make the job easier. So far I would have to say the most difficult part was getting the last snap ring off holding the field coil in place. I tried a bunch of pliers, but the only one that finally worked for me were the Knipex 4911A2 External Straight Precision Retaining Ring Pliers

Old 08-31-2016, 01:31 AM

Finally got the pulley in. Took a while, but it's finally in. Now to put everything else back together. Wish me luck.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:09 PM
"Like None Other"

I just finished replacing the field coil. What a job that was! Smh. Biggest hold ups for me was running to the parts store looking for a bigger snap ring pliers (grabbed husky 8" - worked great) and replacing the radiator. When I removed the fan I noticed ALT of coolant residue at the bottom ledge of the radiator. Last year I changed the coolant and noticed it was low it was when I drained it but couldnt find a leak. Still cant find the leak but after knicking the radiator while wrenching on the compressor (compressor slipped off the coolant reservoir mount....sigh) it was a done deal.

I will say to anyone that wants to complete this on their own should also remove the alternator (gives you more room) and remove the radiator or put a large thick piece of cardboard over it to protect the unit while working on the compressor.

Originally Posted by Battousai View Post
Any one have tips on putting the pulley back on? Mine is not going on easy and I don't want to damage the bearing or compressor shaft. I tried using a rubber mallet, but with the limited working area and nothing really holding the compressor firmly, it's not going in easily.
I held the compressor almost vertical with one hand and pressed the pulley back on with a rubber mallet. Its good to have someone helping while doing this but if not, it can be done with some patience.

Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Did this job today, replacing the field coil, ugh. The TSB said to replace it while down at the bottom through the wheel well but pulling the compressor up to the top is easier. Of course as I was putting it back down I knicked the radiator and sprung a leak, ugh. Have JB weld on it right now, hope it holds. Thanks for the writeup, it was great. I bought a 3 jaw puller from harbor freight and it worked perfect to pull the pulley.

After I was talking to a friend, he told me next time put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to avoid damage, great advise, too late for me.
Lol, same here. I initially thought I should do that but started digging in and before I knew it, the compressor fell and the radiator sprung a leak. I tried JB weld but wasn't successful plus I had another leak somewhere as there was coolant residue that built up over time.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by djbonsu View Post
I just finished replacing the field coil. What a job that was! Smh. Biggest hold ups for me was running to the parts store looking for a bigger snap ring pliers (grabbed husky 8" - worked great) and replacing the radiator. When I removed the fan I noticed ALT of coolant residue at the bottom ledge of the radiator. Last year I changed the coolant and noticed it was low it was when I drained it but couldnt find a leak. Still cant find the leak but after knicking the radiator while wrenching on the compressor (compressor slipped off the coolant reservoir mount....sigh) it was a done deal.

I will say to anyone that wants to complete this on their own should also remove the alternator (gives you more room) and remove the radiator or put a large thick piece of cardboard over it to protect the unit while working on the compressor.

I held the compressor almost vertical with one hand and pressed the pulley back on with a rubber mallet. Its good to have someone helping while doing this but if not, it can be done with some patience.

Lol, same here. I initially thought I should do that but started digging in and before I knew it, the compressor fell and the radiator sprung a leak. I tried JB weld but wasn't successful plus I had another leak somewhere as there was coolant residue that built up over time.

My hat's off to you for even attempting this, bro. I will dive in a do a lot, but at this point in life, I'll be taking mine to the shop if the a/c goes.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:41 AM
"Like None Other"

Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post

My hat's off to you for even attempting this, bro. I will dive in a do a lot, but at this point in life, I'll be taking mine to the shop if the a/c goes.
Thanks! I should have gotten this done a long time ago but clearly I needed half to a whole day to complete this. I pondered taking it to acura but I just didnt want to pay atleast $1000 or more to get it done when I KNEW i could do it myself. Time was always my enemy as my side business keeps my super busy on the weekends in the summer.

I will add that I initially measured my field coil resistance and I got about 8.3 ohms or so. New one measured in at 3.8 ohms. I did have to shim the new clutch (to get a gap between .25mm-.65mm) a bit because I pressed the new pulley back quite a bit. I honestly cant see how anyone could do this in the wheel well of the vehicle.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:38 PM

Thanks BIT359 for the instructions. I just finished replacing my AC clutch last night (took me 2 nights to finish). During the job, I would say it was difficult as i had some complications during some of the steps. Looking back on it, i probably would have paid someone to do it than to take on the challenge.

Also, I would add a 4th trouble shooting step is to check if your car is low on freon. The ac clutch will not engage if the car is low on freon.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:02 PM

I just finished doing the ac clutch, pulley and field coil replacement. So a big shout out to Bit359 and the other posters that made this possible. A little history. My RDX started having intermittent ac outages a few summers ago. It got more frequent each summer until this year it got to where it happened every trip. Field coil tested at 5.7 ohm. Decided to replace clutch and pulley while I had it off. Bought the complete set, clutch, pulley and coil off ebay for $35. Ordered it to fit a CRV as the 07-14 models will fit my 09 RDX. Much more buying options without paying the "Acura" premium. New field coil tested at 3.4 ohm. Used the loaner tools from Autozone listed in the original post, except the 27008: AC Clutch puller jaw, which they don't offer so I bought it on amazon. For snap ring pliers I used the Knipex pliers referenced in earlier post. I had to shave the plier body down (not the tips) with a grinder to get them to work. They were a little thick. Besides the field coil being bad the clutch plate was shot as well. Got it all together with the replacement parts and now I have nice cold ac that does not cut out anymore. Much thanks!
Old 08-27-2018, 09:39 PM

I never saw where anyone actually just replaced the compressor. Did anyone get to that point?? Is that harder than the clutch and field coil??
Old 08-30-2018, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bamahooty View Post
I never saw where anyone actually just replaced the compressor. Did anyone get to that point?? Is that harder than the clutch and field coil??
I didn't consider replacing the compressor. Mine was still good. It cooled well when the coil and clutch would let it engage. It was not noisy, it wasn't leaking and obviously had not seized. It would cost a lot more to replace the compressor. To do that job you need the compressor and since you are opening the system up you need to replace the receiver drier as well. Also, you need a set of o rings, refrigerant, and oil. You will need a vacuum pump and a decent set of gauges and hoses to do leak testing, remove moisture and refill the refrigerant. I have done compressor replacement before (not on this vehicle) so I don't think its necessarily harder, but it takes more time and costs more money.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:27 PM
Carmine S.

I got my complete AC system replace this summer for around six hundred from the dealer after working for 130,000 plus miles.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Oldrusty View Post

I didn't consider replacing the compressor. Mine was still good. It cooled well when the coil and clutch would let it engage. It was not noisy, it wasn't leaking and obviously had not seized. It would cost a lot more to replace the compressor. To do that job you need the compressor and since you are opening the system up you need to replace the receiver drier as well. Also, you need a set of o rings, refrigerant, and oil. You will need a vacuum pump and a decent set of gauges and hoses to do leak testing, remove moisture and refill the refrigerant. I have done compressor replacement before (not on this vehicle) so I don't think its necessarily harder, but it takes more time and costs more money.
ok, I was just curious. I used to be quite the shade tree mechanic but I donít know that I could do this repair. Thanks

Old 09-05-2018, 11:10 AM

That was cheap..
Old 09-06-2018, 06:11 PM
Carmine S.

I bought my vehicle at this dealership and serviced it there for itís whole life including now. So everyone knows me their and usually tries to do the best they can with the numbers.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by CSmoney28 View Post
I bought my vehicle at this dealership and serviced it there for itís whole life including now. So everyone knows me their and usually tries to do the best they can with the numbers.
good for you. Thanks. I have replaced all the relays and itís still going out. My wife said a few times last week so itís past every now and then to almost every other time she drives. She is not like me and does not like the windows down to experience hot, humid summers in the South.

One question: where should I get the new field coil. I did a search on the part number listed above and. I see options for over $100 and some for $30....

thanks to all