Disable DRL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:40 AM
newbsauce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disable DRL?

Anyone know of a way to disable the DRL without setting off any warning lights or flags to the ECU? I can't stand DRL, their just ugly and unnecessary.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
you try the fuse?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kthxbi
Anyone know of a way to disable the DRL without setting off any warning lights or flags to the ECU? I can't stand DRL, their just ugly and unnecessary.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=disable
Old 10-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Instructor

And also https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=disable
Old 10-04-2007, 10:25 AM
newbsauce

Schweeet.. Thanx!
Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonia

I'll have to agree with the posters, its a safety feature and honestly it doesn't affect the look of the car (maybe try those hoen bulbs and see if it will look better)

Hefty fine up here in Canada if you don't have DRL's on. Heck for people importing cars from the US, DRL is one of the mandatory modifications that must be done in order to be able to drive that car on Canadian soil.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kthxbi
I can't stand DRL, their just ugly and unnecessary.
The DRL's are for the safety of others. If you deem that unnecessary, that speaks volumes about you.

Plus, how often are you outside of your vehicle while it's running and looking at the DRL's? You don't even see them 99.9% of the time, so how are they ugly to you?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:12 AM
newbsauce

Originally Posted by Tripp11
The DRL's are for the safety of others. If you deem that unnecessary, that speaks volumes about you.

Plus, how often are you outside of your vehicle while it's running and looking at the DRL's? You don't even see them 99.9% of the time, so how are they ugly to you?

Well then consider me an unsafe person, because i pulled my fuse yesterday.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

hahaha, safe for other people, now its my responsibility to ensure others safety, for christ sake cant people take some responsibility for their own actions. Yet another example of poor drivers relying on others to compensate for their short comings
Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
It's not likely to improve the aesthetic appeal if you clip someone who pulls out right in front of you because they didn't notice your car without DRLs.

But it's your call.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tillithz
hahaha, safe for other people, now its my responsibility to ensure others safety, for christ sake cant people take some responsibility for their own actions. Yet another example of poor drivers relying on others to compensate for their short comings
DRL's are just as much for your own safety as anyone else's. They make you more visible to everyone.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mau108
Hefty fine up here in Canada if you don't have DRL's on. Heck for people importing cars from the US, DRL is one of the mandatory modifications that must be done in order to be able to drive that car on Canadian soil.

It may be mandatory that a car owned and registered in Canada have DRL, but to say you must have them to drive in Canada is far from the truth. I made weekly drives to Toronto from Michigan over the summer (in a car with no DRL) and not once did I get a ticket, violation, warning, or even a slap on the wrist. Hell, I got flagged at customs over a dozen times and after doing a thorough inspection of my vehicle, even they didn't say anything about my lack of DRLs.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Well, as a motorcyclist, I'll say that I think DRL's on a car are a very bad thing. All motorcycles have their lights on constantly, this is so they would stand out and you'd be less likely to be killed.

Now with all these cars having their lights on constantly, I no longer stand out in my motorcycle and I'm now more likely to be killed by some idiot on their cell phone or whatnot.

I'm picking up my new RDX in the next few days and the first thing I'll be doing is disabling the DRLs.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Racer

Wink

Originally Posted by tillithz

Exactly, well put....

So if we all go by his logic then that means I'm unsafe for owning couple cars that aren't equipped with DRL (pretty dumb isn't it)?!?!?!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Irvine, CA

Originally Posted by JGard
Well, as a motorcyclist, I'll say that I think DRL's on a car are a very bad thing. All motorcycles have their lights on constantly, this is so they would stand out and you'd be less likely to be killed.

Now with all these cars having their lights on constantly, I no longer stand out in my motorcycle and I'm now more likely to be killed by some idiot on their cell phone or whatnot.

lol what?? You explained on your first paragraph that having lighs on constantly is a good thing because it makes other drivers more likely to see you.

Doesn't having other cars around you with DRL then make other drivers even more aware??

DRL stands for daytime running lights, if some driver can't distinguish your motorcycle from a car because of the other car's drl DURING THE DAY.... then wow.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Instructor

Right...So you've missed my point that a motorcycle will now just blend in with all the cars on the road and that's exactly what I fear.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:45 AM
Irvine, CA

Right...So you've missed my point that a motorcycle will now just blend in with all the cars on the road and that's exactly what I fear.
I didn't miss the point. Unless all the drivers in your area are wearing beer goggles, I don't see how lights will suddenly make motorcycles indistinguishable during the day time from other cars.

At night, I understand. But seriously, during the day? I live in LA and go against crazy drivers each day. At least I give them a little bit of credit.

Anyways, I could care less whether you hate drls or not, I just found your reasoning behind it far reaching. Just say you hate DRLs instead of assuming that it causes an increase of accidents for motorcycles because other drivers think motorcycles are like cars with DRLs on. Like I said, wth?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Newbie for Life

Yep. You're perfectly correct. I'm now going to pull out in front of all motorcycles as I now think they're just cars with DRL's on. After all, getting hit by a car would be far less dangerous to me and my family than a motorcycle.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by vrflyer
Exactly, well put....

So if we all go by his logic then that means I'm unsafe for owning couple cars that aren't equipped with DRL (pretty dumb isn't it)?!?!?!
Airbags or no airbags?

Anti-lock brakes or no anti-lock brakes?

Seatbelts or no seatbelts?

LATCH system or no LATCH system?

Car seats or no car seats?

DRL's or no DRL's?

All have been devised to increase your safety and others while out on the roads. Cars with airbags, seatbelts, ABS, LATCH systems, car seats and DRL's are overall safer than those without - for you and others.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:10 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Airbags or no airbags?

Anti-lock brakes or no anti-lock brakes?

Seatbelts or no seatbelts?

LATCH system or no LATCH system?

Car seats or no car seats?

DRL's or no DRL's?

All have been devised to increase your safety and others while out on the roads. Cars with airbags, seatbelts, ABS, LATCH systems, car seats and DRL's are overall safer than those without - for you and others.
hey our insurance companies think so!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Racer

..... and again, you can't retrofit any vehicle and call those "unsafe" or "dangerous" to society - yep, I believe you both missed the point.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by vrflyer
..... and again, you can't retrofit any vehicle and call those "unsafe" or "dangerous" to society - yep, I believe you both missed the point.
LOL

The "point" is, why disable something which could possibly save your life or others?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Yep. You're perfectly correct. I'm now going to pull out in front of all motorcycles as I now think they're just cars with DRL's on. After all, getting hit by a car would be far less dangerous to me and my family than a motorcycle.
That's not exactly my point, either. It's more that once things become commonplace, people ignore them. So yes, headlights make it easier to see a car, but that's because they stand out from the norm. Once every vehicle on the road has them and has for a while, people will begin ignoring them just like they've managed to ignore 3-ton SUVs and the like.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Newbie for Life

That's not exactly my point, either. It's more that once things become commonplace, people ignore them. So yes, headlights make it easier to see a car, but that's because they stand out from the norm. Once every vehicle on the road has them and has for a while, people will begin ignoring them just like they've managed to ignore 3-ton SUVs and the like.
Every day when I pull out of my parking garage in a downtown, big city area, I pull out onto a one-way street where traffic is coming from under a large, covered railway bridge - so vehicles traveling towards you as you try to pull out onto this street are in a dark area. You know how many times there have been accidents at this location because of vehicles traveling without headlights on or DRL's and the driver pulling out couldn't see them? A ton...

Thus, I'm thankful when those cars having DRL's are coming at me because I can see them...just like I can see a motorcycle because the headlight is on. For those cars without DRL's or running with their lights on, it is MUCH more difficult to see them.

You think your motorcycle will blend in with all the other cars w/ DRL's, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I can SEE those cars with DRL's MUCH BETTER than without - how is that a bad thing?

I see where you're coming from, but just disagree. So, we'll agree to disagree, how about that?

Plus, having my MC endorsement as well and having ridden sport bikes and touring bikes most of my life, I can relate to a motorcycle rider wanting to be extremely visible. I'll watch out for you, even if some of the general public does not.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Racer

LOL

The "point" is, why disable something which could possibly save your life or others?

It's really a double edge sword debate, disable if you wish or not - it's not going to hurt anyone.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:29 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
fargin dorky children.... IQ levels of all of you are quite evident in this thread....