Tech Package in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:37 PM
08 RDX CBP/Taupe/Base

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tech Package in Canada

To canadian RDX owners with Tech Package my question is how useful/accurate is the Navigation system in Canada( please state your city)? I keep reading in this forum of people in the US not getting accurate information or that it is complicated to use(and might as well get a portable one).Also, no traffic alerts in Canada.
I also understand that the back up camera is not that great.
Trying to decide if it is worth getting the package here in Canada( $ 4,000 ???) on a 2008 model..
Portable GPS and back up sensors might be a cheaper alternative.The stereo part I can take it or leave it.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Racer

You bring up some good points....I wish you had posted this before I purchased my tech yesterday....j/k

I did try the camera in another test drive, it's as good as the Murano's rear camera. Your biggest enemy is the weather. Rain and snow can cover it up pretty easily. That said, I STILL prefer rear sensors. That way you can use your eyes to watch your surroundings (i.e. parallel parking on a crowded street) as well.

If you're getting a 2008, I'd recommend sticking with the base. With a lot of the features from the 07 tech making it's way to the 08 base, $4000 just isn't worth the nav, camera, and audio. If you can live without the nav, then you can buy a GPS system for under $1000 and backup sensors for $500. Is voice control still exclusive to the Tech only?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:30 AM
08 RDX CBP/Taupe/Base

That's what i figure with the rear camera about dirt on the lense.Not sure how the Murano is so i don't have any basis to compare to that one but did test drive the FX35 one and felt that the colour and markings on the screen were good.
As far as voice command, in reading the 2008 manual that is available here on line the HFL for the phone works on voice control also on the base.

Let me know how you find the navigation in Toronto-accurate re maps and stores/restaurants ,etc? . Not sure how it would work outside major cities.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by casa7
That's what i figure with the rear camera about dirt on the lense.Not sure how the Murano is so i don't have any basis to compare to that one but did test drive the FX35 one and felt that the colour and markings on the screen were good.
As far as voice command, in reading the 2008 manual that is available here on line the HFL for the phone works on voice control also on the base.

Let me know how you find the navigation in Toronto-accurate re maps and stores/restaurants ,etc? . Not sure how it would work outside major cities.
You know what? The more time I've had to think about my purchase, the more I think I may have "rushed" into it. I was never interested in the '07 Tech...but because the changes are so minimal between that and the '08 (where memory seats and auto-dim mirrors are no big deal) I thought I'd try to get a great deal on a Tech now for a few thousand off rather than an '08 Base in February (when i was originally going to buy) for maybe $1000 off...and have nav, the backup camera, and premium sound for just a tiny bit more. I also really only like the RDX in CGP so that was another incentive.

Here's what I totally forgot:
- That in Canada nav doesn't really work that well outside of the city
- we don't get live traffic feeds.
- Voice control is avail in the '08 base.

So that leaves the camera and stereo system. Premium sound is a must for me at home but I've never been one to blast music when driving. And you know my stance on the backup camera vs rear sensors.

I'm sure I'm gonna love my RDX regardless and I got it for a good deal and in my favourite colour. But had I been a little more logical, I think I probably would've waited til February to grab an '08 base if I wanted to save $1000-2000 and forgo the extra amenities.

Also if the rumours are true and I end up getting an early '07 with the stiffer suspension, I'm probably gonna regret it for maybe a month...where after I'll have learned to survive without coffee on my morning commutes.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

RDX in Canada

Just ask yourself what is needed from tech package for yourself. Stereo, GPS, Bluetooth, etc.

I was one of the first RDX owners in Toronto (got the base in Sept 2006). I have owned it for almost a year. I would say I only need to use the GPS from my cell phone for less than 3 times. So, I know I don't really need GPS that much.

Stereo, to me, 350 W to 400 W, 7 speakers vs 10 speakers really does not make big difference to me.

And personally,I love the backup sensor

Only thing I really like from tech is bluetooth connectivity, which you can always install an aftermarket system for less than $500.

Just remember, we Canadians already pay so much premium as comparing to US buyers, so you don't want to pay even more for something you don't need or doesn't work well. Don't forget any extra you pay, you will have to pay another 14% taxes (if you live in Ontario)
Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acurardx
Just ask yourself what is needed from tech package for yourself. Stereo, GPS, Bluetooth, etc.

I was one of the first RDX owners in Toronto (got the base in Sept 2006). I have owned it for almost a year. I would say I only need to use the GPS from my cell phone for less than 3 times. So, I know I don't really need GPS that much.

Stereo, to me, 350 W to 400 W, 7 speakers vs 10 speakers really does not make big difference to me.

And personally,I love the backup sensor

Only thing I really like from tech is bluetooth connectivity, which you can always install an aftermarket system for less than $500.

Just remember, we Canadians already pay so much premium as comparing to US buyers, so you don't want to pay even more for something you don't need or doesn't work well. Don't forget any extra you pay, you will have to pay another 14% taxes (if you live in Ontario)
Hey acurardx! Good to see another post from you again. You make some pretty good points, especially on the speaker system. I've been hunting for DVD-A's and the selection really blows. I heard the base model's stereo system is more than enough for non-audiophiles.

I bought into the hype of the tech. Should've waited for the '08 base. But we'll see how I feel after driving it for a few weeks (it arrives Aug. 18th).
Old 08-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Rdx

Originally Posted by Boon
Hey acurardx! Good to see another post from you again. You make some pretty good points, especially on the speaker system. I've been hunting for DVD-A's and the selection really blows. I heard the base model's stereo system is more than enough for non-audiophiles.

I bought into the hype of the tech. Should've waited for the '08 base. But we'll see how I feel after driving it for a few weeks (it arrives Aug. 18th).
It is ok, the price you paid (CAD41,900) is only $900 above most of us who bought the RDX a year ago.

Anyway, I still feel our Canadian price is crazy!!! If I knew the Canadian $ keeps getting stronger (some analysts said it will probably go par by the end of this year), I would just go to the States and buy there. Probably save $10 grand !!!

Anyway, enjoy your new RDX. I enjoy it since day one last year. I do see a lot more RDXs on the road in GTA in the last few weeks. I guess we can form a GTA RDX meet soon
Old 08-06-2007, 12:02 PM
08 RDX CBP/Taupe/Base

I will probably be buying the 2008 model so the HFL is also on the base.
I also asked Acura Canada if a car purchased in the US would have its warranty honoured here. They don't hounor it so decided to let that go.
I wish they get the 2008 prices posted on their web. Dealers still don't know,even though it was established Aug. 1.

Maybe at some point there will be an Acura or RDX Car Club of Canada.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Intermediate

rdx in canada

buy your rdx in the states. you will get the tech package for about 35000 all costs in except taxes. especially now.
that is like getting a crv for the price of the rdx.
we are being taken to the cleaner. look at the vehicle delivery charge. 590 dollars in the usa vs 1750 in canada.
the invoice in canada for tech is 41700 approx
the invoice in usa is about 33700 aprox.

write honda and compleain. in the mean time buy your car in the usa
Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 PM
08 RDX CBP/Taupe/Base

Originally Posted by rdxon
buy your rdx in the states. you will get the tech package for about 35000 all costs in except taxes. especially now.
that is like getting a crv for the price of the rdx.
we are being taken to the cleaner. look at the vehicle delivery charge. 590 dollars in the usa vs 1750 in canada.
the invoice in canada for tech is 41700 approx
the invoice in usa is about 33700 aprox.

write honda and compleain. in the mean time buy your car in the usa
I was told by Acura Canada that the warranty on the US car is not honoured in Canada.Also, did you have to pay the 6.1 % duty or did it fall under the free trade exclusion? I am curious how you went about getting it?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Intermediate

importing the car

there is no duty. i paid no state tax. i did pay the registrar of imported vehicles their 190 dollar fee, plus 51 dollars for canadian tire to certify it.
then the ontario plates, pst and gst.

i figure you are getting an rdx for the price of the crv.
we should be boycotting honda for the way they treat canadians.
or as canadians we should just take it on the chin, pay more and dont complain.

you decide.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Racer

there is no duty. i paid no state tax. i did pay the registrar of imported vehicles their 190 dollar fee, plus 51 dollars for canadian tire to certify it.

you decide.
Wow, that's a great deal. We totally are getting gouged here in Canada...not only with Acura, but pretty much any car you buy.

I did dig around, just like casa7 did, and was told the Acura warranty was void if it was purchased in the U.S. Same goes for Lexus. I was considering getting a Subaru for a while since they don't have that problem.

Have you taken your RDX in yet and have them confirm the warranty is still good? I mean, with the amount you save I guess you can just pay for your repairs...but I also like the piece of mind knowing essential repairs are covered.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:58 AM
08 RDX CBP/Taupe/Base

you decide.

If I would be as close to your American dealer(Buffalo) then it might work regarding warranty work,but I am not. So the trade off for the savings would be that you would have to take a chance that nothing will go wrong for the first four years( 5 years for power train).Knowing Acura's reliability the chances are good, but the RDX not being out that long plus the new Turbo motor makes it somewhat more risky.
What would you do if you are travelling through Canada and have major breakdown?

This is not to say that we as Canadians should not complain about teh prices here now that our dollar has gone up. It is not just Honda, just about any manufacturer is ripping off the Canadian public.
You can however get Toyota, Hyndai,Subaru(?) and BMW warranties honoured here( BMW 4 year maintenance free is not covered in Canada though) . In the case of BMW, dealers in the US won't sell new cars to Canadians as they get in trouble with BMW USA. They will however sell you a demo or used one