Remote Start Rdx, Non-tech

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start Rdx, Non-tech

HELLO EVERYONE JUST PICKED UP MY SILVER RDX. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF A REMOTE START CAN BE PUT ON THE RDX. WE WANT TO KEEP THE EXISTING KEY PAD AND JUST ADD THE REMOTE START FUNCTION, DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS OR KNOW WHAT IS THE BRAND OF REMOTE START, AND WHO COULD INSTALL IT WITHIN THE PHILADELPHIA AREA. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE OTHER INFO ON THIS SITE, KEEP ON TURBOIN' !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Advanced

Yes, there is an Acura factory installed remote start available for the RDX. I had it put on mine before pick-up. It requires a separate FOB. It's pretty cool though, it has an LCD that tells you if the engine started or not. It also will tell you how much longer that it will run before it times out. One drawback is that when you go out to your RDX you have to unlock it with the starter FOB and that shuts the engine off. You then have to restart it when you get in with the key.

Rusty
Old 04-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Bostonbr77
Yes, there is an Acura factory installed remote start available for the RDX. I had it put on mine before pick-up. It requires a separate FOB. It's pretty cool though, it has an LCD that tells you if the engine started or not. It also will tell you how much longer that it will run before it times out. One drawback is that when you go out to your RDX you have to unlock it with the starter FOB and that shuts the engine off. You then have to restart it when you get in with the key.

Rusty
Your dealer is one of the ones that gives dealers a bad name. there is no factory remote start for any Acura Vehicle. For 2007, you don't really want to put a remote start in anything other that a TSX or RDX. All other Acuras have a one touch start system that cranks the engine as long as necessary to start it. When you install a remote starter, you have 2 systems competing with each other to do the same thing.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by black label
Your dealer is one of the ones that gives dealers a bad name. there is no factory remote start for any Acura Vehicle. For 2007, you don't really want to put a remote start in anything other that a TSX or RDX. All other Acuras have a one touch start system that cranks the engine as long as necessary to start it. When you install a remote starter, you have 2 systems competing with each other to do the same thing.
That's odd Black label...the remote starter that was installed on my 2007 RDX prior to me taking delivery has the Acura insignia on it and the FOB matches perfectly with the other 2 Key FOB's that came with my vehicle. I would be surprised if Westside Acura in Edmonton would go to such detail to counterfeit a remote starter.

Rusty
Old 04-09-2007, 02:40 PM
2007 RDX CGP/Taupe

Originally Posted by Bostonbr77
That's odd Black label...the remote starter that was installed on my 2007 RDX prior to me taking delivery has the Acura insignia on it and the FOB matches perfectly with the other 2 Key FOB's that came with my vehicle. I would be surprised if Westside Acura in Edmonton would go to such detail to counterfeit a remote starter.
I called two dealerships after purchasing my RDX in February. One told me they can outsource the installation to a maintenance shop but the actual remote starter and key fob was not Acura. The other dealer told me they did not recommend installation of aftermarket remote starters and that Acura did not offer one as an accessory or add-on.

If they are offering remote starters, maybe only offering them to Canadians and not to the U.S. market. Anyone else in Canada inquire about a remote starter for their vehicle?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:08 PM
ds-
3rd Gear

I bought mine last week and had the remote car starter installed too.
I also live in Edmonton and bought it at the Southside Acura dealership.
It matches the regular keyfob but has a little screen on it.

Only thing that is weird is that when I start the car with the remote, I can't unlock the doors unless I stop the car first with the remote, which requires me to turn the car on again when I get in the car with the key. If I plug the key in after I start the car with the remote, the car stops the engine.....

Edit: Also, there's a manual that comes with the remote and I'm pretty sure it has Acura all over it. (well not all over, but you get what I mean)
Old 04-09-2007, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear

Hi Guys,
Yes, when we got ours, we were told there was a OEM Acura remote starter available, but it was around $900 installed!! How much was yours in Edmonton guys? Is there anyway you could post a picture, or at least send me a picture of what the remote looks like? My email is johnddsmith@gmail.com. We are very interested in getting one this fall, but I just want to be clear on the OEM one. Specifically, that really sucks that you have to turn OFF the vehicle and then restart it with the key? Yikes. Our integra's remote is not setup like that. It would be great if you didnt have to shut off the vehicle for sure...thanks guys.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:08 PM
ds-
3rd Gear

It is $900 but I haggled it down half the price for $450.
Comes with 2 remotes. It looks almost like the regular key fob, except it has a little display screen on it. There is no key built in, but it has the lock, unlock, and panic buttons just like the regular one.
Has a Acura logo on the front. Says "Made In Japan" on the back.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the reply...was the $450 haggle during buying the RDX, or afterwards? Thats seems like a heck of a deal! Thanks again!!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:06 AM
ds-
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by manitoba_boy
Thanks for the reply...was the $450 haggle during buying the RDX, or afterwards? Thats seems like a heck of a deal! Thanks again!!
It was a deal while buying the RDX
Old 04-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grooks1
If they are offering remote starters, maybe only offering them to Canadians and not to the U.S. market. Anyone else in Canada inquire about a remote starter for their vehicle?
Acura factory remote start is a canada only offering. Retail is $899.39 CAD.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Advanced

I bought my RDX in October and my remote start was included in my purchase. I paid $350 over MSRP...so, I paid for it in the long run. If looking to purchase the remote, remember the downsides that I and DS pointed out, you need to carry both FOB's...I guess you only need to carry both in the winter, but in the Prairies in the winter, it's worth it!

Rusty
Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 AM
10th Gear

For what it's worth, I also asked my dealership about remote start and they quoted over $600 - line about warranty etc. He also said if I didn't buy it from them I would void my warranty. Which I knew wasn't true - but just laughed and walked out. Next time I was in the area i gave him a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Act.

I did speak with Owner Care and any remote start installed in the RDX is not covered buy the US Acura warranty, because it is not an genuine Acura option - so anything the dealer is offering is on their own - because it's an aftermarket product. So, if you were to move - no other dealer is obligated to warranty the remote start.

They also indicated that this does not void the warrnaty - ie warranty can not be denied just because a remote start is installed. If there ever was an issue it would have to be directly attributed to the remote start causing the problem for warranty service to be denied.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
We were told it would be available as a Factory Accessory in the US, but a month after the RDX's arrival, they said it would not be available (they did the same thing with the 07 MDX). It looks like Canadians can get a Factory remote start and the folks in the US can't.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hurl03
For what it's worth, I also asked my dealership about remote start and they quoted over $600 - line about warranty etc. He also said if I didn't buy it from them I would void my warranty. Which I knew wasn't true - but just laughed and walked out. Next time I was in the area i gave him a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Act.

I did speak with Owner Care and any remote start installed in the RDX is not covered buy the US Acura warranty, because it is not an genuine Acura option - so anything the dealer is offering is on their own - because it's an aftermarket product. So, if you were to move - no other dealer is obligated to warranty the remote start.

They also indicated that this does not void the warrnaty - ie warranty can not be denied just because a remote start is installed. If there ever was an issue it would have to be directly attributed to the remote start causing the problem for warranty service to be denied.
Hey hurl, do you know what brand remote the dealer was going to install for $600? For that much I could get a reputable local installer to put in the top of the line DEI brand like Viper or Clifford; and who is your dealer? I got my RDX in Ramsey and when I asked about remote start they said there is none available at all.