RDX audio/speaker issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX audio/speaker issues

I love my RDX - love everything about it. Just rolled over 3000 miles and am about to take it on a good drive next week to Los Angeles (from NorCal).

Anyway - I just got it back from the dealership because I was hearing what I thought was distortion in one of the passenger side rear speakers. I have been hearing it for weeks, but it wasn't terrible, and I put off taking it in thinking maybe I wasn't really hearing it.

Until I discovered the wonderful world of DVD-A. I got a few of these babies, and wanted to really play the audio system. Unfortunately, I noticed the distortion on these, too (my previous example was on an MP3 CD, which could have been an issue with the actual music).

Long story short, the Acura dealership tested it and realized it wasn't something loose, but rather a faulty speaker. They replaced it free of charge and under warranty - and I had a loaner for 2 days.

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else thought they might be hearing slightly buzzing/distorted audio but thought it was in their head. I went a few weeks before I came to grips that there was actually something wrong with the car...

Cheers!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for the post, tinnie16. i'm experiencing the same thing. when my stereo is functional (it's at the dealer right now being replaced), i am hearing the "distortion" out of the rear passenger "satellite" speaker. i think it's actually a harmonic vibration of the speaker grill as applying a bit of pressure on the grill stops the noise. but perhaps i should get them to replace the speaker? i don't notice the problem in the loaner i'm driving right now. and the fact that i have a defective head unit makes me wonder if that isn't part of the problem.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:59 PM
5th Gear

Unhappy

This kills me. I could swear I am hearing distortion from one of the rear speakers again. Whatever they replaced 2 weeks ago solved part of the problem, but not all.

I am afraid to really crank up to audio to show someone what the car can do if there is a chance it will be distorted or buzzing.

Not to mention the frustration when I am driving alone.

Arrggghhh...

Does anyone else have one or more "lemon" speakers? This is unacceptable for a car that features such a high-end surround sound DVD-A (which are excellent, btw) system.

Killer.

I love this car sooooo much but this is so disheartening.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:36 PM
5th Gear

im experiencing the same problem. the funny thing is.. i took it around Nov. to get it checked out. they thought it was something loose but a new speaker was ordered anyways. i call him two weeks later he says its on backorder. he said he'd call me when to bring the car back to get it installed.. and i have yet to get a call. been leaving messages on his answer machines and got no response. i plan on heading over there tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:37 PM
5th Gear

and the part where i called him two weeks ago.. i meant in nov. after i got it checked out from that date.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Cruisin'

i finally got my rdx back yesterday (they had it for 9 days). it appears that replacement of the stereo's head unit solved the rattle/distortion out of the rear speakers! tinnie16 and others, you might want to let your dealers know. based on my experience, i'm skeptical that they will replace your head unit unless it goes dead, as mine did. good luck with it. i know how frustrating it can be. on the plus side, the stereo sounds like acura intended it to now. and, wow, it's incredible!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:19 AM
5th Gear

robbhamilton you may be right. i just got mine back today. they replaced the rear speaker. but guess what.... it still rattles. im going to take it back tomorrow and DEMAND they replace the stereo's head unit. thanks a lot for the info. robb!
Old 01-17-2007, 02:43 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by robbhamilton
i finally got my rdx back yesterday (they had it for 9 days). it appears that replacement of the stereo's head unit solved the rattle/distortion out of the rear speakers! tinnie16 and others, you might want to let your dealers know. based on my experience, i'm skeptical that they will replace your head unit unless it goes dead, as mine did. good luck with it. i know how frustrating it can be. on the plus side, the stereo sounds like acura intended it to now. and, wow, it's incredible!
robb which speakers exactly were making those rattling noise? was it the one on the door or the one above the rear seat near the trunk?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:17 AM
5th Gear

Yep, it's a bit ridiculous.

Per my earlier post, they did replace a rear speaker - and I think that fixed part of the issue.

But now there is definite distortion on other songs - I am making a list. Worse, there is one that was distorted and now seems not to be, which just tells me it is probably the head unit and NOT the speakers.

I am so disappointed. All I want to do is turn hard and play my music. (sniff, sniff).

How many people does it take to have an issue with this before they do a recall?

(wink.)

3542 miles and counting. Trip to LA this weekend (first long distance trip - 350 miles or so).

Ciao!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by kprob7
robb which speakers exactly were making those rattling noise? was it the one on the door or the one above the rear seat near the trunk?
Speaking for myself, it seems to be the right rear speaker at ear height in the back back. I am not sure which speaker they replaced 2 weeks ago - the work order says "rear speaker replaced".

The only two "rear" speakers on the passenger side would be that one, and the one on the rear passenger door.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm getting a slight rattle coming from the front driver side door. Its not from the speaker. I believe its somewhere in the door panel. Its not loud but can hear it just enough to annoy me. I need give the dealership a call.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:54 AM
5th Gear

Hey Pang, i have the same issue with the same speaker...it on my driver side door panel...it a slight rattle/blown out but it get louder as the bass of the music get louder...funny thing was that when i brought it to the dealer where i bought my RDX from....he was like ummm i dont see a problem....you have the best bass that i have ever heard....~_~ but it not until i found that when i play the diana Krall song on the DVD Audio demo that the distortion shows the most........but anyways...my appointment is on Friday*at a different dealer*...i pray to god it is not the head unit's problem......cause i bet that shit gonna take forever to fix..........*cross my fingers*
Old 01-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kprob7
in my case, it was the rear satellite speakers (the ones near the trunk).
Old 01-19-2007, 03:23 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rukawax
Hey Pang, i have the same issue with the same speaker...it on my driver side door panel...it a slight rattle/blown out but it get louder as the bass of the music get louder...funny thing was that when i brought it to the dealer where i bought my RDX from....he was like ummm i dont see a problem....you have the best bass that i have ever heard....~_~ but it not until i found that when i play the diana Krall song on the DVD Audio demo that the distortion shows the most........but anyways...my appointment is on Friday*at a different dealer*...i pray to god it is not the head unit's problem......cause i bet that shit gonna take forever to fix..........*cross my fingers*
Exact same issue i'm dealing with. Please report back what they tell you. I'm gonna try and get mine scheduled it sometime soon, just a pain in the a$$ because closist dealer is about 20 miles away!
Old 01-19-2007, 08:00 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by PANG_CO
Exact same issue i'm dealing with. Please report back what they tell you. I'm gonna try and get mine scheduled it sometime soon, just a pain in the a$$ because closist dealer is about 20 miles away!
So yeaaaa, the dealer spent 6hours trying to insulate the speaker.......6 HOURS.......but in the end they decided it was a faulty speaker so they are ordering the part and gonna try to replace the faulty speaker....since the nearest dealer is so far away from you....i suggest you call the dealer and see if they are willing to order you a new speaker....i mean since your car is under warranty....i dont think they have anything to lose by giving you a new speaker......and just try to schedule an appointment to have the speaker replaced....
Old 02-08-2007, 05:06 PM
10th Gear

I am so glad there are forums like this because I am having the exact same problem, but I thought it was in my head. The rear right speaker seems distorted by different music sources. I was going to install the neo car adapter this weekend, but now I am going to wait until this issue is resolved before I do anything. Would installing the neo ipod adapter void the warranty?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, the neo will not void the warranty.

Acura sells a audio system test disk to test individual speakers. It plays a frequency sweep to each individual speaker one at a time. What I don't know is if the latest version of this disk is made to test the 5.1 speaker setup. They use the disk to find rattles and blown speakers or other issues with speakers.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:16 AM
5th Gear

well i got my speaker replaced (the one that was making the rattling noises). it pretty much fixed the issue. now any kind of music at whatever volume i put it at sounds really good now.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by sasair
No, the neo will not void the warranty.

Acura sells a audio system test disk to test individual speakers. It plays a frequency sweep to each individual speaker one at a time. What I don't know is if the latest version of this disk is made to test the 5.1 speaker setup. They use the disk to find rattles and blown speakers or other issues with speakers.
Sasair,
I've got a couple of speakers that are giving me some minor vibrations/rattles at specific frequencies (different frequencies for different speakers), at relatively low volumes (10). Can I get my hands on one of these discs to do some diagnostics? If so, where can I get one?

At this point, I think it's just resonant frequency/vibrating grill kinds of things. I'm not ready to call it the head unit yet. BUT....since I have another oil change coming up, if I find problems, I might as well put together a punch list...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by catnippants
Sasair,
I've got a couple of speakers that are giving me some minor vibrations/rattles at specific frequencies (different frequencies for different speakers), at relatively low volumes (10). Can I get my hands on one of these discs to do some diagnostics? If so, where can I get one?

At this point, I think it's just resonant frequency/vibrating grill kinds of things. I'm not ready to call it the head unit yet. BUT....since I have another oil change coming up, if I find problems, I might as well put together a punch list...

Thanks,
Mike
I think they listed the part number for the CD in one of the Acura ServiceNews bulletins. then you can contact either your dealer or Tim at HondaAcura World to order one.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:08 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I too had a "distortion" in my right rear upper satellite speaker at certain frequencies. I had my son sit back there while I played a song which brought it out. He was sure that the speaker was vibrating the cover and/or housing of the cover. 3 weeks ago I gently pried open the plastic cowling which holds the speaker cover at the rear where it attaches to the support post. I put two pieces of 2" square soft foam at points I thought would support the cowling and buttoned it back up. Guess what? Distortion, noise, and vibration gone. My son was correct.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Pro

I'm pretty confident that that's what's going on with mine as well. That's why I want the frequency sweep CD - so I can find the resonant frequency and check out each speaker as independently as possible...

Mike
Old 04-02-2007, 08:44 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
funny when i brought mine in for the B1 i mentioned my right rear mid range sounded funny at times and they said both mids were blown....which is odd because i honestly dont usually put the volume above 10 and rarely above 20? shouldnt these speakers at least b able to handle the max voltage the radio puts out without blowing?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by drewboy
I too had a "distortion" in my right rear upper satellite speaker at certain frequencies. I had my son sit back there while I played a song which brought it out. He was sure that the speaker was vibrating the cover and/or housing of the cover. 3 weeks ago I gently pried open the plastic cowling which holds the speaker cover at the rear where it attaches to the support post. I put two pieces of 2" square soft foam at points I thought would support the cowling and buttoned it back up. Guess what? Distortion, noise, and vibration gone. My son was correct.
I noticed the same thing. I "fixed" the problem by wedging a small piece ( 1/8" wide by 3/4" long) of paperboard (from a pasta box) between the grill and the housing. The downside to this solution is that the paperboard is visible if you look closely. But i can live with it as it's not obvious, and i don't look at the speakers when I'm in the car anyway.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:04 AM
RiDiX w/ Tech

I also noticed distortions coming from my rear driver side satellite speaker recently. I brought it to the dealership and of course they could not duplicate the problem. Passenger sitting in the rear usually notice the buzzing when I am playing music from XM.

Where can I get a copy of the frequency sweep CD. Is it available for download?

I will try the paperboard fix or maybe gooping it with soft adhesive.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Cruisin'

I think I have something similar with my tweeters in the front doors. I've caught it a few times, and to my ears it's the speaker covers rattling, not an issue with the speakers. Not sure it's related to the issues here, but wanted to post my experience.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tinnie16

Anyway - I just got it back from the dealership because I was hearing what I thought was distortion in one of the passenger side rear speakers. I have been hearing it for weeks, but it wasn't terrible, and I put off taking it in thinking maybe I wasn't really hearing it.

Long story short, the Acura dealership tested it and realized it wasn't something loose, but rather a faulty speaker. They replaced it free of charge and under warranty - and I had a loaner for 2 days.

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else thought they might be hearing slightly buzzing/distorted audio but thought it was in their head. I went a few weeks before I came to grips that there was actually something wrong with the car...

Cheers!
I knew I wasn't crazy!! This is the problem I'm having in both front tweeters.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:05 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by PANG_CO
I'm getting a slight rattle coming from the front driver side door. Its not from the speaker. I believe its somewhere in the door panel. Its not loud but can hear it just enough to annoy me. I need give the dealership a call.

I have the same problem so I had the dealer look at it while I'm getting the front passenger door speaker replaced.

As always, the dealer can't replicate the rattle.

So annoying.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ try playing the song that you know will duplicate the noise to the technician that will be working on your car.

If you are having a rattle in the doors or panels, try taking the panel off and sticking some foam behind panel.

and anyone that wants test tones can download them from here. http://ampguts.com/cmps_index.php?pa...udio_downloads if you are trying to isolate the noise, just use your radio settings for balance and fade..
Old 03-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone know of a guide to replace the rear satellite speakers yourself? Im afraid to just mess around there because it has srs airbag on the pillar near it.