(Opinions Wanted) All Mid-Range Speakers Dead - Time for an Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question (Opinions Wanted) All Mid-Range Speakers Dead - Time for an Upgrade!

Hey there! First-time poster 🙂

My family recently acquired a 2008 RDX base trim (no nav, non-tech, 7 speakers total). At first, only the tweeters + subwoofer + driver door speaker worked. However, after turning up the volume a bit while on the highway, the driver door speaker quit on me as well!

I don't know shit about car audio. All four mid-range speakers are now dead quiet, not even a buzz. I've tested the impedance between the terminals of the two front speakers and both appear to be cooked (OL Ω). Haven't checked the rear speakers yet. Affordability and simplicity are the names of the game for me up here in Canada. As of now, I know at least some of the speakers are dead, so I'd like to start by replacing just the front speakers.

I'm now deep down the rabbit hole of trying to pick out new speakers and would appreciate some opinions. Here's what I've learned:
  • The factory speakers (unable to verify part number, either 39120-STK-A11--now replaced by A12--or 39120-STK-A01) are 2 ohms and are known to die pretty easily.
  • The front components consist of two mid-range door speakers and two tweeters. However, the crossover location is seemingly unknown/unclear. Some say it's built into the amp, others say it's built into the tweeters via a capacitor.
  • 2-ohm speakers for the RDX on Crutchfield are non-existent in 2024.
  • Upgrading to 4-ohm speakers yields lower maximum volume (but some say higher quality).
My goal is reliable and affordable audio with quality comparable to (or better than) the stock 7-speaker configuration. My big questions are now:
  1. 2-ohm or 4-ohm? Is the volume drop that significant?
  2. Can the factory amp safely handle 4-ohm speakers?
  3. My tweeters still work, can I grab a pair of coaxial door speakers and use them in tandem with the factory tweeters? Coaxials seem like the cheapest configuration.
  4. If I go with coaxial door speakers, could the mystery OEM crossover ruin their output?
  5. Given the symptoms described above, is the amp possibly fried?? Super worried about this one.
Some smaller questions:
  1. Will I need to turn down my subwoofer to match the reduced response from 4-ohm door speakers?
  2. How much attention do I have to pay to the power range wattage listed on speaker product pages, considering my use of the factory amp?
I'm open to and excited to receive all sorts of opinions and feedback! Feel free to ask for questions or clarification, I'll certainly be doing the same 😅