NAV screen and polarized glasses

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAV screen and polarized glasses

Have you noticed that if you wear polarized glasses/sunglasses, the nav screen seems to disappear? Try turning your head at an angle,, as close to sideways as you can. if you can see the screen better, it's because your sunglasses are polarized 90 degrees diffferent from the nav screen.

Does anyone know if the screen overlay can be replaced with a different polarization?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's definitely not my issue. The screen just plain sucks in the cold and with any kind of sunlight....

Mike
Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 AM
JohnnyV8

Yeah it sucks. Apparently there were 2 different makers of the unit. It should have horizontal instead of vertical lines to be compatible with all polarized sunglasses.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts
This is the one unforgivable mistake Acura made with the RDX. It was either due to inattention or incompetence, and either way they should probably make it right by replacing everyone's nav screens with ones that have the proper polarization. That will never happen, but I hope they at least corrected the flaw with the '09.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:01 AM
Ukrainian RDX

AFAIK there is a possibility to install a touch-screen over RDX's Tech Pack display and also connect RGB input w/switch so You may enjoy DVD/iPod/3rd party Navi etc. on U'r stock display. We have one dealer in the city who dared to perform this once. I'll be the next to try ...

PS: Touchscreen thin film should cancel the polarization effect.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Banned

So you're saying there's a kit that will convert the stock Navi screen to touch-screen?

If so, how much is it? And please take detailed pictures and notes of the conversion as I'm very interested in this conversion.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Ukrainian RDX

Originally Posted by Alexandros
So you're saying there's a kit that will convert the stock Navi screen to touch-screen?
Well, there is one russian company that makes some MFUs including Navi called Mircom . There are embeddable gadgets by Garmin & EasyGo also.

Here is their translated web-page, but I'm sure that there are numerous touch-screeen adapters on eBay/Amazon.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Ukrainian RDX

Today I've also learned that it's a piece of cake to connect any other source to the built-in NTSC display via the RGB-commutator.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
This is the one unforgivable mistake Acura made with the RDX. It was either due to inattention or incompetence, and either way they should probably make it right by replacing everyone's nav screens with ones that have the proper polarization. That will never happen, but I hope they at least corrected the flaw with the '09.
I have been complaining about this ever since I got my '07. The dealer would just say that's the way it was designed, and wouldn't (couldn't) do anything to improve the situation. Contacting Acura's regional customer service was a bigger joke, as they are in total denial that it is even a problem!
Old 09-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by appzter
I have been complaining about this ever since I got my '07. The dealer would just say that's the way it was designed, and wouldn't (couldn't) do anything to improve the situation. Contacting Acura's regional customer service was a bigger joke, as they are in total denial that it is even a problem!
At least the dealer knew what you were talking about. I agree there's probably nothing they can do, as it's a design flaw. And I guess I'm not surprised that corporate customer service was unhelpful, as whatever rep you spoke with has probably never sat in or even seen an RDX.

BTW, this is one thing that separates Lexus from Acura. My dealings with their customer service have been MUCH more professionally handled. Lexus "gets it", while Acura seems to be trying to get by with a minimal bump up from your typical Honda/GM/Ford customer disservice.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With my sunglasses (Polarized Oakley Felons), it just adds a little bit of pinkish/purplish cast to the screen. Still readable. No big deal for me--I may just be lucky with my glasses and seating position (my legs are pretty short, so I am probably a bit closer to the screen, so my angle of viewing is shallower).
Old 10-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an '07 Tech and my display flat out sucks, and I don't use polarized sunglasses! I love my RDX but in bright daylight (even when Sun isn't hitting it) I can't read it at all. Changing the brightness, contrast and black-level settings doesn't help and when the dealer checked it out they said 'it meets spec' and there's nothing they can do.

Has anyone lodged a complaint about this issue directly with Acura?

Last edited by pvsurfer; 10-04-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Pro

I haven't, but I would love to. Do you know how?

I tried to get my dealer to file a complaint for me, and they said 'they'd mention it', but that most Acuras are the same way. I know the older ones were better...

Mine gets darker every year. I'm going to make a BIG stink right before the end of my warranty to see if I can get it replaced (likely another year or two).

Mike
Old 10-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by catnippants
I haven't, but I would love to. Do you know how?

I tried to get my dealer to file a complaint for me, and they said 'they'd mention it', but that most Acuras are the same way. I know the older ones were better...

Mine gets darker every year. I'm going to make a BIG stink right before the end of my warranty to see if I can get it replaced (likely another year or two).

Mike
Based on my attempts, I would say don't hold your breath waiting for Acura dealers to help because as far as they are concerned it's not a problem since all 2007's & 2008's are that way. From what I've read, Acura finally fixed the display in the 2009 model. Imho if Acura had any integrity, they would issue a recall to fix the problem (but of course, that would cost them a bundle)!

In any case, here is where to write or phone...

Acura Customer Relations Dept.
1919 Torrance Blvd. 500-2N-7E
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
Toll free: 1-800-382-2238
Old 10-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Pro

Well again, based on how mine has gotten worse every year, I'm hoping I can build a case right before my warranty runs out. I fully expect my display to be next to useless by that point.

Mike
Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Advanced

My nav disply is no worse now than when I bought the RDX, but it's still next to useless! Any usefulness during daylight driving comes about only as a result of its voice directions.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:25 AM
10th Gear

Nav Screen

Originally Posted by catnippants
That's definitely not my issue. The screen just plain sucks in the cold and with any kind of sunlight....

Mike
I lightly tinted (35%) my entire windshield, this tint is what is legal in Florida for the front door windows. I tinted the front door windows to 20% to match the back windows. This helped take the glare off the nav screen and it helped take the glare off of the metal trim. I know this is illegal. However I am very light sensitive. I rather pay the ticket than have a headache. Don't really notice a difference at night.

I have noticed the screen changing with my polarized glasses.