my cd player died...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my cd player died...

so this is what happened... i got home...parked... ejected cd 3... pressed disc so it jumps to 4, changed to 5, ejected 5... and turned off car....

next morning... loaded back cd into cd3 slot... and i got this message on the upper lcd display... "check disc"...flash a few times... and ejected.. same happened to all the new discs i put in and the others already in there... it wouldnt read any of my disc's

so i went to dealer this morning and they are ordering me a new cd player... i guess im relieved that its under warrenty... but i hope they dont make a million scratches taking apart the damn units...

so i would advice, to make sure you load up the next disc before you turn off the car... im afraid thats what messed up my thing
Old 12-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that sucks, what a pain in the a$$.

If it is any comfort to you, it is easy to remove and replace the head unit. I have done it several times with no scratches or adverse affects to the interior. plus if the dealer scratches something, just make them replace it!

Oh and make sure they give you the unlock code for the new head unit you get!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by sasair
that sucks, what a pain in the a$$.

If it is any comfort to you, it is easy to remove and replace the head unit. I have done it several times with no scratches or adverse affects to the interior. plus if the dealer scratches something, just make them replace it!

Oh and make sure they give you the unlock code for the new head unit you get!

yea it is a pain in the butt... now i gotta listen to the crappy radio and xm... ughh

really? its easy to take out? thats a little reassuring... but i mean is ur car... of course ur gunna take care of it... the idiots at the dealer dont care for your stuff

yea thanks for the heads up... i already made a post it in the car to remind me to get that code
Old 12-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
chyllin...what, no mp3 player?

Ah, don't be so quick to assume your Acura dealer is full of idiots (unless you have proof)...I would think since these are Acuras, they would be a little higher up on the "take care of it all" ladder. That's been my experience from both Acura and Honda dealers for the most part. Sorry to hear of your headache, though. Be sure to update us when all is said and done.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by Pacer
chyllin...what, no mp3 player?

Ah, don't be so quick to assume your Acura dealer is full of idiots (unless you have proof)...I would think since these are Acuras, they would be a little higher up on the "take care of it all" ladder. That's been my experience from both Acura and Honda dealers for the most part. Sorry to hear of your headache, though. Be sure to update us when all is said and done.
sorry man, but i have to disagree with u... when i picked up my car... my drivers auto up down window didnt work and they took off the door panel.. and it was ALLL banged up... but luckily the scratches wasnt visible when the door is closed... so i just gave up on it...
Old 12-16-2006, 07:41 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

I have to agree, unfortunately. I haven't gone to any dealer, of any brand, that has done "finesse" work well. If something requires removal of interior panels/parts, I know I will do a far better job myself. I just don't have a lot of confidence in dealer techs for stuff like that -- I have seen them really botch-up jobs in the past.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by c_hunter
I have to agree, unfortunately. I haven't gone to any dealer, of any brand, that has done "finesse" work well. If something requires removal of interior panels/parts, I know I will do a far better job myself. I just don't have a lot of confidence in dealer techs for stuff like that -- I have seen them really botch-up jobs in the past.
yup my point exactly
Old 12-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Sorry to hear that, but thanks; I'll certainly be careful if I ever get anything done.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Missin my TSX =(

yea please do.... they rape our cars out there!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Missin my TSX =(

yea so i got my radio replaced today, surprisingly, i didnt get one scratch anywhere... not that ive seen so far... gave me the new code an everything... 2.5 hours... out.. not bad
Old 12-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Glad you got your ride fixed ok eric.

So you guys that have had failed head units, do you listen to CDs/DVDs most of the time? I hardly use the disc player since I have my ipod in there, just wondering if I used it alot if it would lead to failure as well.

What do most people here listen to in the RDX?

I'm 95% iPod, and the rest could be split between XM, FM, and DVD.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:01 AM
Intermediate

I was listening to DVD-A for about 2 hours when mine failed (LOUD too). Thats all Ive been listening too for the past couple of weeks. Im fasinated by the quality for now and went out and bought 6 of them. Normally I listen to XM (Ethel, Lucy, Upop, etc) and my iPOD (60GB video).
Old 12-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mostly listen to sirius using aux jack. Haven't even tried the CD player yet, guess i'd better. Glad they fixed you up Chyll.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brad G
I was listening to DVD-A for about 2 hours when mine failed (LOUD too). Thats all Ive been listening too for the past couple of weeks. Im fasinated by the quality for now and went out and bought 6 of them. Normally I listen to XM (Ethel, Lucy, Upop, etc) and my iPOD (60GB video).
Loud as in 15 or loud as in 25+. My normal loud range is 15-20, sometimes I go to 25, but rarely ever higher than that. my normal listening range though is about 8-15.

of course it depends on the source too. my ipod sound level is higher than FM or XM. Don't remember how the CD/DVD compares. Probably about the same as ipod.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Chyllintsx, glad to hear you got it worked out and that they didn't beat up your car. Thanks for posting your trouble here, it's something we all can do to help each other watch for bugs, etc. especially this first year.

My listening would normally be iPod and FM, with the occasional "jam" at extreme volume -- but I've never had sat radio so I may just get hooked.

Not to thread-jack...but it would appear that I am going to grab my RDX this week if I can get this Element deal to work out...that way, I can do an "in-and-out" trade and save a good chunk of cash on the RDX sales tax. Wish me luck; this buyer seems really interested and I am giving her a super sweet deal that she would be insane to pass up.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Smile

Update: My dealer just called and said everything was fixed. They got the headunit in and swapped it out, and said everything was just dandy. I pick it up in a couple hours. Now my only problem is getting the 6 DVD-A's out of the dead headunit.

When I say loud, I mean LOUD. Like 25+ on most DVDs. 15 is normal for me. I know, I know, bad for my hearing. The particular DVD-A I was listening to (Linkin Park) is recorded at a very high level, so I was only listening at like 15-20, but it was loud nonetheless.

PS. For the N.C. Folks. Want to give props to Performance Acura in Chapel Hill. I called Friday, they got me in on Monday, and a new headunit delivered and installed by Tuesday. Also, because of the short notice they didnt have any loaners, but worked through my salesman to get me a sales loaner (demo car). Im impressed.
This is compared to Leith Acura in Cary, who were not nice on the phone, could not fit me in until later in the week, and refused to give me a loaner because they were just "diagnosing" a problem and not fixing one.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Now my only problem is getting the 6 DVD-A's out of the dead headunit.

When I say loud, I mean LOUD. Like 25+ on most DVDs. 15 is normal for me. I know, I know, bad for my hearing. The particular DVD-A I was listening to (Linkin Park) is recorded at a very high level, so I was only listening at like 15-20, but it was loud nonetheless.
Do you think that it was so loud that you blew something? or was do you think it was more a mechanical problem? or have no clue why it just stopped working. I'd recommend cranking it up extra loud to see if the new one blows before leaving the dealership just to see. The system should operate fine within it's own parameters right?

How bought you eric? were you cranked up really loud when it stopped working? I thought I remember you saying it was while you were switching discs and yours never died completely, just stopped reading discs.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

The thought had occurred to me that the volume might of had something to do with it. But it seems unlikely. It could of been much louder than it was and there was no distortion at all. I cant be the only one who rocks out in this car. Acura would have had a whole lot of blown headunits if volume were the factor I think. They market they system as a high powered system for audiophiles so thats how I use it.

I got the car home and everything seems OK. Unfortunately all my DVDs are still stuck in the old headunit, so I dont have anymore to test the system until I go buy another tomorrow After a few weeks, acura is supposed to get my dvds out of the unit and send them to my dealer. If the problem happens again, which Im assuming wont happen, Im gonna go nuts.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Damn that Linkin Park!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by sasair
Do you think that it was so loud that you blew something? or was do you think it was more a mechanical problem? or have no clue why it just stopped working. I'd recommend cranking it up extra loud to see if the new one blows before leaving the dealership just to see. The system should operate fine within it's own parameters right?

How bought you eric? were you cranked up really loud when it stopped working? I thought I remember you saying it was while you were switching discs and yours never died completely, just stopped reading discs.
first off... Brad G... glad to hear that ur car is all hooked up!!

pacer... no prob man... thats wat the forums are for haha

randy... my loud is 35 HAHAHA.... when im in a bad mood (most of the time) i crank it to 35 and cruise (fast) .... then im in a good mood or just in need to get things done or going to work... 10-15 .... for me , i only using the cd player and they are all CD-RWs (mp3 or reg) the volume isnt the case for me... and i dont see it as a case for anyone else either... if anything were to blow out... i think it would be speakers... which i have heard a slight pop or static coming form somewhere in the rear... my case, like i mentioned in post 1... it was probably the way i ejected the discs... so watch out everyone
Old 12-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Cruisin'

i'm glad to have found this thread!

my experience sounds identical to brad g's. i noticed distortion out of the rear passenger speaker while listening to sufjan stevens (cd) at a moderate volume (10) thursday night (12/28). the next morning (12/29), i went out to the car to install my ipod to find the stereo and upper display dead. checked all the fuses, everything looks fine. i should note that i've only had the vehicle for a little over a week! i've got a repair scheduled for thursday (that was the soonest leith acura in cary could get me in and get me a loaner).
Old 12-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Man that sucks. What's the last 5 of your VIN just out of curiosity. Even though the more usefull info would be the serial number of the headunit which I doubt anyone has handy. Hope you get it fixed good. Must suck driving around with no sound system.

So far the only commonality I see on the head units that have died is that they all died while playing CDs or having just played CDs or loading/unloading CDs. I'm usually using my ipod which is probably the easiest on the head unit. I might start listening to CDs just to make sure mine is solid....

Welcome to the board rob....be sure to sign in and let us know what you got!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by robbhamilton
i'm glad to have found this thread!

my experience sounds identical to brad g's. i noticed distortion out of the rear passenger speaker while listening to sufjan stevens (cd) at a moderate volume (10) thursday night (12/28). the next morning (12/29), i went out to the car to install my ipod to find the stereo and upper display dead. checked all the fuses, everything looks fine. i should note that i've only had the vehicle for a little over a week! i've got a repair scheduled for thursday (that was the soonest leith acura in cary could get me in and get me a loaner).
sucks to hear that man, hope they fix u up right!
Old 12-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by chyllintsx
sucks to hear that man, hope they fix u up right!
thanks, guys!

on a positive note, i finally got in touch with my salesman at leith (tom king), whom i had sent an email to a week ago and left a vm for yesterday -- apparently, they have significant communication issues at leith). he stepped up and provided the service i've been looking for... i now have an appointment first thing tuesday.

apparently, the head units going bad is a known problem. the guy in the service department at leith (jeff) said he's seen this problem in two other instances. they do not keep replacement units in stock because "there wouldn't be room for anything else." that said, they are required to run the unit through a twelve point diagnostic before they can order a new unit, so it'll likely be a couple of days before i'll have my new car back and fully operational.

for what it's worth, the last five digits of my VIN are 08363.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Intermediate

Good luck rob, sounds like the exact same thing that happened to me. Sort of a coincidence that we are the only two people that have posted this specific problem, and both live in the same city and it happened at nearly the same time.

Leith Acura offered you a loaner? Man they suck. They refused to give me a loaner for the exact same problem!
Old 12-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Cruisin'

Good luck rob, sounds like the exact same thing that happened to me. Sort of a coincidence that we are the only two people that have posted this specific problem, and both live in the same city and it happened at nearly the same time.

Leith Acura offered you a loaner? Man they suck. They refused to give me a loaner for the exact same problem!
yeah. that is an interesting coincidence. it makes you wonder.

leith offered a sales loaner, so i am doubt it will be an rdx, but i'll take what i can get. it's not like you can go wrong with anything acura offers.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Cruisin'

an interesting twist... i went out to the car this afternoon to fetch the ipod. upon unlocking (via the remote) and opening the door, i noticed the stereo was running through its CD/DVD load sequence. upon putting the key in the ignition and cranking the vehicle, i discovered the stereo and upper display are working again! i immediately pulled all my discs out of the stereo to avoid brad's fate. i still plan on taking it in for the service appointment tuesday, but am glad to have my stereo back in the mean time. weird, weird, weird.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Missin my TSX =(

an interesting twist... i went out to the car this afternoon to fetch the ipod. upon unlocking (via the remote) and opening the door, i noticed the stereo was running through its CD/DVD load sequence. upon putting the key in the ignition and cranking the vehicle, i discovered the stereo and upper display are working again! i immediately pulled all my discs out of the stereo to avoid brad's fate. i still plan on taking it in for the service appointment tuesday, but am glad to have my stereo back in the mean time. weird, weird, weird.
yea def bring that shyt in... and good news that u got ur cds
Old 01-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Cruisin'

for those of you following along at home... leith was unable to do anything about my stereo because it was not in failure. that said, it's back there right now for a separate issue (i'll post that in another thread), but they gave me a loaner RDX this time. i'm now convinced there is something significantly wrong with the audio system in mine (as if not working at all wasn't an indicator). when i compare the same music from the same source (ipod) in the loaner, i don't get any of the rattle out the speakers i get in mine (no matter how loud i go). it's hard to believe it's even the same system, frankly. i immediately let leith know of the difference, but was told "they can only do what they can do." i'll keep you posted.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Missin my TSX =(

that sucks man, tell them that where have been several reports of the same issue on the forums..
Old 01-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

while at leith acura for a separate issue, the head unit went dead again. fortunate timing! they've ordered a new one and will replace it tomorrow. i hope this resolves the "noise" i'm hearing out of the rear passenger "satellite" speaker. fingers crossed!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by chyllintsx
yea it is a pain in the butt... now i gotta listen to the crappy radio and xm... ughh

really? its easy to take out? thats a little reassuring... but i mean is ur car... of course ur gunna take care of it... the idiots at the dealer dont care for your stuff

yea thanks for the heads up... i already made a post it in the car to remind me to get that code
If the idiots at the dealer don't care, you need to find a new dealer!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Cruisin'

well, after 9 days at leith acura, i now have a new head unit. it appears to have resolved the noise out of the rear speakers!
Old 01-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Intermediate

Why 9 days? Mine was diagnosed in one day, a new headunit overnighted, and installed the next day. I hope you are happy with Leith, because 9 days would not be acceptable to me.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:22 AM
Cruisin'

yeah, it was a bit disappointing, but i was driving the service loaner rdx with a tank full of gas that leith provided, so i really shouldn't complain.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by black label
If the idiots at the dealer don't care, you need to find a new dealer!
haha well all the dealers around me are like that... and the one i go to is the one i bought it at... if they dont take care of me... how do you think the other r gunna care haha
Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Missin my TSX =(

yeah, it was a bit disappointing, but i was driving the service loaner rdx with a tank full of gas that leith provided, so i really shouldn't complain.
at least u got a loaner haha i had to drive mine till they got the part cuz im 20... bastards... but im glad u got ur stuff cleared up =)