I'm replacing front door speakers. How important is 2 v 4 ohms? Component vs 2/3-way?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm replacing front door speakers. How important is 2 v 4 ohms? Component vs 2/3-way?

I've read through the posts on here about the common problem of front door speakers blowing, and my passenger side definitely is. There's been lots of threads about the lacklustre quality of the stock speakers, but not that much discussion on specific brands/models. And many of the threads are several years old with dead links. So, some people apparently installed 2/3 way speakers for the front door woofers, others maintained the component system with separate woofers and tweeters. The factory stereo as-is is generally fine with me; I might consider some modest upgrades to improve sound but I'm not a golden ear and I won't be spending big money on sound. Here's my questions:

1. How important is it to find 2 ohm speakers? They seem to be very rare and I've found very few options on Crutchfield.
2. How important is it to use component speakers?
3. Can I just buy woofers and leave the factory tweeters in place and still have the stereo working as it should?
4. Any recommendations on particular speakers would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my understanding is you will need 2 ohm replacement speakers if you are keeping the stock amp (you could use 4 ohm but will not be as loud).

I just purchased infinity primus pr6512 2.7 ohm for all 4 door speakers (2 way speakers)

I assume the stock system will not send high freq to the door speakers so the woofers are driven and the stock pillar tweeters produce the high end.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HABH8R
my understanding is you will need 2 ohm replacement speakers if you are keeping the stock amp (you could use 4 ohm but will not be as loud).
I just purchased infinity primus pr6512 2.7 ohm for all 4 door speakers (2 way speakers)
I assume the stock system will not send high freq to the door speakers so the woofers are driven and the stock pillar tweeters produce the high end.
Hey, did you get those speakers installed?
Old 08-12-2020, 07:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nemoD
Hey, did you get those speakers installed?
yeah, i installed them last week and im happy. Testing them with multiple sources (bought new dvd-a’s vs spottily thru the aux input). So far so good, clear and no more buzzing from the dead stock als speakers.