How do I clear error messages?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do I clear error messages?

I have an 08 RDX. There are 2 error messages on the acuralink computer system. How can I clear them?

The first was an air bag message that I was able to fix by shaking the wires under the passenger seat. The light went away, but the message is still there.

The second is code P0847 (a tranny code) which must of been a little glitch since the check engine light went out a few starts later and the message is still there in the system.

I would like to clear these messages. I also hooked up a OBD II tester and there are no codes (I know the airbag won't show up) shown.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Press and hold Menu Guide and Cancel at the same time for a few seconds to enter diagnostic menu.

Then select XM (lower right button).

Then select XM ECU.

There should be a menu item for messages. You can clear it there.

Not sure why it is hidden in the XM ECU menu--the XM module must control the messaging.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Intermediate

I tried that with no luck. This is for a 2008 RDX.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try it. I've got a VSA error message dated December 2004 that is annoying me.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ptrapper65
I tried that with no luck. This is for a 2008 RDX.
I have 4.63...should be the similar. I'll check it again when I get my car back later today.

The dealer can clear it for you, too.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eilros
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try it. I've got a VSA error message dated December 2004 that is annoying me.
That is what I had. I think they drive the car during prep without it active and forget to clear the message.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Intermediate

Hey brizey - The directions you gave above don't seem to work on my RDX. Is there something I'm not seeing or doing right???
Old 06-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ptrapper65
Hey brizey - The directions you gave above don't seem to work on my RDX. Is there something I'm not seeing or doing right???
What does not work? On the last menu I think you select diagnostic info if I remember correctly. I'll try to get screenshots at some point.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Intermediate

When I Press and hold Menu Guide and Cancel at the same time for a few seconds nothing happens. Plus there is no "menu/guide" button. ???
Old 06-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Brizey for the message clearing info. It removed those annoying messages.

Howard
Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Thank you Brizey. This was very helpful.

It is in the Service Manual, but I never tried looking under Navigation System, do-oh, (page 23-169).

For anyone having trouble:
1. simultaneously press "Map/Guide" "Menu" and "Cancel" until it enters the Select Diagnosis Items screen.
2. click on XM (HIP) lower right, then XM (HIP) ECU to reach the Select Telematics Diagnosis screen.
3. six items should be displayed; choose number 3, Diagnostic Info
4. click on your trouble message to follow the prompts to delete it.

Last edited by 737 Jock; 06-27-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:02 PM
haole kama'a-ina

This deletes the trouble code from the XM message bank, (HIP is AcuraLink) but does not delete it from DTC logdata, which is Item 2, directly above Diagnostic info.

Click on that and you can see a time/temperature snapshot of when the code was stored. Not sure how to clear the DTC log yet.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
Thank you Brizey. This was very helpful.

It is in the Service Manual, but I never tried looking under Navigation System, do-oh, (page 23-169).

For anyone having trouble:
1. simultaneously press "Map/Guide" "Menu" and "Cancel" until it enters the Select Diagnosis Items screen.
2. click on XM (HIP) lower right, then XM (HIP) ECU to reach the Select Telematics Diagnosis screen.
3. six items should be displayed; choose number 3, Diagnostic Info
4. click on your trouble message to follow the prompts to delete it.
737 Jock - Thanks so much. It worked!!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Hey 737 Jock. I have a follow up question...

I'm having problems with my nav system. It can't find my home anymore and it takes a long time to boot up after I start the car. I noticed a data rest under the XM (HIP) ECU menu. I will need to reactivate something after the reset. Is this rest something I should try?

Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:28 PM
haole kama'a-ina

The short answer is no.

XM (HIP) ECU is the AcuraLink system. If you have registered for AcuraLink service the car will automatically communicate trouble codes and maintenance minder info to AcuraLink. Selecting "Data Reset" will erase the AcuraLink registration and it will have to be reactivated by calling Acura Client Services. At any rate, it is unrelated to GPS or navigation.

So the system is slow to boot, but then does the map come up and move with the car?
Can you enter a destination and navigate to it?
Not sure what you mean by "it can't find home". Did you try re-entering the "go home" location?

Under the "Select Diagnosis Items" menu you can run checks on a few pertinent systems. DO NOT INTERRUPT any diagnostic in progress. Let it finish.

"Navi System" checks the cars hard wiring and cable connections, but you have to interact with it using the "Talk" and "Back" buttons. I doubt that you have a bad cable or it wouldn't work at all.

"GPS Information" will display the number and location of satellites, current position, date and time, etc. It should all be accurate and you should have at least three satellites. (Don't check it under a roof.)

"Unit Check" opens 5 items to check. Item 3, "Navi ECU" runs diagnostics on the navigation unit. It should give you a list of "OK"s when done. A "NG" means that item needs attention. DO NOT SELECT "Mem Clear" in this screen. That is memory clear and it erases a whole bunch of stuff .

If you haven't started a diagnosis, or the diagnosis is done you can leave any of these screens by clicking "Return"
Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Intermediate

You are the man for responding. Thanks for saying no to the data rest because I may have done it and would have had to spend time at the dealer explaining what I did.

The map works fine. I comes up and moves with the car. The system seems to take around 4-5 seconds to come up after I start the car which is longer than it use to take, but it doesn't realy matter, I just thought a rest would erase all of the waypoints and previous address's which would make it boot up faster.

What I meant by it couldn't find home was... The last couple of times I was a few hundred mile from my home, I hit the go home function and it would say it couldn't finish the route and to try again from a different location. I tried it a few times after the message with the same results. I then would put in my brothers address which was saved and was only a few miles from my house and it worked. After reading your response, I deleted my home address and re-entered it. It works fine from a few miles from home, but I'll have to wait until I'm in another State to see if I get the same error, however, I think that may be the fix.

Thanks again!!!

The short answer is no.

XM (HIP) ECU is the AcuraLink system. If you have registered for AcuraLink service the car will automatically communicate trouble codes and maintenance minder info to AcuraLink. Selecting "Data Reset" will erase the AcuraLink registration and it will have to be reactivated by calling Acura Client Services. At any rate, it is unrelated to GPS or navigation.

So the system is slow to boot, but then does the map come up and move with the car?
Can you enter a destination and navigate to it?
Not sure what you mean by "it can't find home". Did you try re-entering the "go home" location?

Under the "Select Diagnosis Items" menu you can run checks on a few pertinent systems. DO NOT INTERRUPT any diagnostic in progress. Let it finish.

"Navi System" checks the cars hard wiring and cable connections, but you have to interact with it using the "Talk" and "Back" buttons. I doubt that you have a bad cable or it wouldn't work at all.

"GPS Information" will display the number and location of satellites, current position, date and time, etc. It should all be accurate and you should have at least three satellites. (Don't check it under a roof.)

"Unit Check" opens 5 items to check. Item 3, "Navi ECU" runs diagnostics on the navigation unit. It should give you a list of "OK"s when done. A "NG" means that item needs attention. DO NOT SELECT "Mem Clear" in this screen. That is memory clear and it erases a whole bunch of stuff .

If you haven't started a diagnosis, or the diagnosis is done you can leave any of these screens by clicking "Return"
Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 PM
5th Gear

Hello all! New member and owner of a used 07 RDX Tech...I had the same 2 message show up when I went under the "diagnostics" tab on the messages screen... "...Air bag will not operate properly due to incorrect battery voltage..."
Is this something I should get taken in to the dealer to repair? Or is this an error message I can just clear? Thanks in advance...
Old 11-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Intermediate

I couldn't clear the airbag code , but the tranny code was cleared. The airbag light went off after I wiggled wires under the drivers seat. I've done this 3 times in the past 2 years.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:01 PM
5th Gear

^^ Is that safe? I mean, just to "wiggle" the wires to clear the code? I mean, I don't see how the voltage could be affected unless your alternator is bad and not charging the battery...do airbags have its own power source? any more info is greatly appreciated. Thanks again...
Old 11-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

^^ What I did was this...

The first time the airbag light came on, I banged on the passenger seat. I shut the car off. Started it and the light was off. The light came on a month or two later so I did the same thing but the light stayed on, so I shut off the car and wiggled the wires under the passenger seat and restarted the car and the light did not go on. I assumed it was a loose wire or connection somewhere in the passenger seat assembly. It happened a third time and I wiggled the wire under the seat and the light went off. The light has not come on for months.

The way I see it, and I could be wrong, is the computer goes thru a check when you turn on the ignition and start the car. If there is a problem, the light goes on. If there are no errors, the light does not go on. I think of it like the check engine light. If there is a problem, the light goes on and stays on until the problem is fixed. If you ignore it, it the light stays on. If it was a temporary malfunction (like having to reboot your computer because of a blue screen), the light will not stay lit because the computer does not see a problem when it does it's check. Imagine having to take your comuter to the shop every time you had to reboot it... If the light is off, the problem is solved. My light is off, so I feel safe.

So, my theory is if the light does not illuminate the problem is fixed.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM
5th Gear

^^ Thanks for the response...my airbag light is NOT on, the message just had me a bit skeptical...I'm assuming, since it was dated before I purchased the vehicle, that the message popped up due to them clearing/rebooting the system... will keep you all posted ...thanks again
Old 03-16-2015, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

Clearing messages

Hi guys, i have the sh-awd and emmision errors and want to clear. 08 mdx and ive tried the map/menu/cancel and i do get to a diagnostics menu but i dont see anything relayed to xp

This is the screen i get sorry cant seem to attach picture but it lists as below

Navi system Gps info
Monitor check yaw rate
Unit check Tire calibrate
Car status Functional setup
Version

Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-27-2022, 10:14 AM
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
How to clear the 100s of DTC datalog

This deletes the trouble code from the XM message bank, (HIP is AcuraLink) but does not delete it from DTC logdata, which is Item 2, directly above Diagnostic info.

Click on that and you can see a time/temperature snapshot of when the code was stored. Not sure how to clear the DTC log yet.
Were you able to find out how to clear the DTC datalog? Been looking every where….nada!