Enjoying the ELS system...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enjoying the ELS system...

Irregardless of the negative point about ELS with DVD-audio in the RDX, namely the companies are not really following up with this format readily at all, I really enjoy listening to the incredible sound from it.

Lately, I have been collecting a bunch of DVD-audio discs from local electronics stores and also amazon.ca, mostly Classicals... I believe the ELS sound system is simply awesome for classicals, and for live stage perfomances for artists like Chicago, Bee Gees (hmmm, wish they would come out with their album on DVD-A).
The stock of DVD-A discs in the market is not that much, so I thought I better start collecting them ahead of time...

Another way of extending the utility of the ELS system in the RDX, as one poster pointed out, is to use a commercially available software to convert DVD audio tracks from DVD music discs (playable only on DVD players), onto DVD-audio format. That should work.

The imaging accuracy and clarity on the ELS system is amazing...
Old 05-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ELS rules! One of my favorite RDX features. Just got the Doors LA Woman today off ebay. Pump up the volume! WOW awsome DVD-A.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turboted
ELS rules! One of my favorite RDX features. Just got the Doors LA Woman today off ebay. Pump up the volume! WOW awsome DVD-A.

Can't agree more...

I put in Celine Dion's Gold collection disc, and man... the speakers never complained a peep when that lady reaches those highs... the bass in some of the songs were strong, and the subwoofer was awesome sounding... deep heavy distortionless low bass punch... All Kudos to Panasonic... will never surpass Bose or those higher end speakers, but it is pretty darn good...
Old 05-02-2007, 10:47 AM
07 RDX w/Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"will never surpass Bose or those higher end speakers..."

Bose, despite the price, is NOT high end.

Ever heard, "no high's...no lows...must be Bose..."?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah...Bose is one of those companies that I tend to avoid. Regardless of the quality of their components (good or bad), most of what they make relies heavily on 'audio trickery'. They rely on reflections, delays, etc. to make things sound decent in the sweet spot - but when it comes down to it, it can't compare to a decent system with real subs, woofers, mids and tweeters. In addition, I find everything very tuned to the typical home stereo user - accentuated highs and lows, with NO mid. I actually like listening to music through a decent set of studio monitors tuned flat - so I hear how it was actually recorded/mixed. I don't want my stereo overly coloring the sound for me.

Mike
Old 05-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kenjr
"will never surpass Bose or those higher end speakers..."

Bose, despite the price, is NOT high end.

Ever heard, "no high's...no lows...must be Bose..."?

oops... you are right... Bose not the most high end for car audio...

How about Nakamichi, or infinity? Boston acoustics?

in any case, my point was really that the Panasonic speakers sounded really good... for my "non high fidelity" ears, I think it comes quite close to the high end stuff...
Old 05-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mav238
Irregardless of the negative point about ELS with DVD-audio in the RDX, namely the companies are not really following up with this format readily at all, I really enjoy listening to the incredible sound from it.

Lately, I have been collecting a bunch of DVD-audio discs from local electronics stores and also amazon.ca, mostly Classicals... I believe the ELS sound system is simply awesome for classicals, and for live stage perfomances for artists like Chicago, Bee Gees (hmmm, wish they would come out with their album on DVD-A).
The stock of DVD-A discs in the market is not that much, so I thought I better start collecting them ahead of time...

Another way of extending the utility of the ELS system in the RDX, as one poster pointed out, is to use a commercially available software to convert DVD audio tracks from DVD music discs (playable only on DVD players), onto DVD-audio format. That should work.

The imaging accuracy and clarity on the ELS system is amazing...
Any reccomendations on classic DVD-A's? I'd like to add some to my collection.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turboted
Any reccomendations on classic DVD-A's? I'd like to add some to my collection.
check out cduniverse. They hav lots of selections...
Old 05-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Racer

I'm not much of a classical music fan, but I'm willing to try one DVD-A in my RDX. What do you think is the single best classical DVD-A for a beginner? I suppose it should be a famous symphony and a great performance and recording.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnny99
I'm not much of a classical music fan, but I'm willing to try one DVD-A in my RDX. What do you think is the single best classical DVD-A for a beginner? I suppose it should be a famous symphony and a great performance and recording.
I'm not a classical fan either so I just ordered the Metallica "Black" album DVD-A to test out the ELS. This may sound stupid to some people but one of my friends in the music biz tells me Metallica's early stuff was actually written in the style of composers like Beethoven so hopefully this is a good test.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeRDXNJ
I'm not a classical fan either so I just ordered the Metallica "Black" album DVD-A to test out the ELS. This may sound stupid to some people but one of my friends in the music biz tells me Metallica's early stuff was actually written in the style of composers like Beethoven so hopefully this is a good test.
The black album is not their early stuff. In fact, it defines the beginning of their later more commercial stuff. "Enter Sandman" was the first video that got regular air time on MTV.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brizey
The black album is not their early stuff. In fact, it defines the beginning of their later more commercial stuff. "Enter Sandman" was the first video that got regular air time on MTV.
yea i know but its the only DVD-A i could find from them. If I could have found master of puppets or And justice for all I would have bought those
Old 06-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Looks like most of the sites out there have between 250 and 500 titles. That is probably the entire shebang.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dvd-a

WOW. I am not sure if I will ever be able to listen to another regular CD again. Has my library of a couple hundred CDs become useless?

I just played my first DVD-A in the RDX. Yes, Fragile. OMG, it was like it was the first time I had ever heard it. Beyond words how frickin amazing it sounds.

Why oh why aren't there more titles??
It is so amazingly superior to anything I have ever listened to.

So far - Yes, Fragile
Steely Dan - Goucho
Doors - LA Woman (on order)

Where is Pink Floyd the Wall?????

:gheywave:
Old 07-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by XIS
WOW. I am not sure if I will ever be able to listen to another regular CD again. Has my library of a couple hundred CDs become useless?

I just played my first DVD-A in the RDX. Yes, Fragile. OMG, it was like it was the first time I had ever heard it. Beyond words how frickin amazing it sounds.

Why oh why aren't there more titles??
It is so amazingly superior to anything I have ever listened to.

So far - Yes, Fragile
Steely Dan - Goucho
Doors - LA Woman (on order)

Where is Pink Floyd the Wall?????

:gheywave:
Welcome to the club. I have all 3 of your DVD's plus 10 others. ELS makes all other CD's and XM sound like s**t. I wish there was more releases.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:44 PM
10th Gear

XIS- I couldn't agree more. I'd also love to see Pink Floyd's THE WALL on DVD-A, but I'm afraid it will probably never come to pass. In the meantime, to hear GREAT DVD-A versions of old favorites, you may want to hunt down these:

The Who- Tommy
Queen- A Night at the Opera

I had to order the Queen disc from E-bay, but I got amazingly lucky and found Tommy on the shelf at a local Best Buy. Both of these sound absolutely incredible in the RDX. You'll swear that Roger Daltrey and Freddy Mercury are sitting right on the dash (I mean that in a good way). I also love LOVE by the Beatles, and that is readily available. And Barenaked Ladies have released a number of DVD-A's that sound great without being too flashy.

My wish list for DVD-A or DTS discs would be any of the original albums by the Beatles, Alan Parsons Project, Yes, 10cc, ELO, Kraftwerk, Level 42 or Rush. Just got the new DVD by Rush, but alas, it does not play in the RDX as it is DVD-V based. I plan to try to rip a copy to DVD-A using the instructions on other messages on this board. I also keep hoping the ELS himself, Elliot Scheiner, will go back and remaster the entire Steely Dan catalog.

On a positive note, I've found that the Dolby II sound can come close to making standard CD's have a surround sound. I'm not a major audiophile but I am particular about how things sound, and while I'd prefer the real thing at least this setting comes close.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:17 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
You can make your own 5.1 DVD-Audio of "The Wall" from the 5.1 DVD Movie disc. Just edit out the few spots where there is no music of note and there you go. It works great!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
for you guys that love the dvd-a, adobeman created a free program that can convert 2.1 music to 5.1 and can be burned onto a dvd, or you can burn 2 channel audio onto a dvd so you can store much more stuff onto it. go to the 3g section for the TL and it should be stickied there, if not, search for the term adobeman GUI
Old 07-14-2007, 09:59 AM
JHF
8th Gear

When listening to a DVD Audio should Dolby Pro Logic II be on or off? Or does it matter?
Old 07-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Advanced

I am pretty sure that when playing a DVD-A, the Pro Logic stuff is automatically disabled in favor of the audio encoding on the Desc itself.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rpeete
I am pretty sure that when playing a DVD-A, the Pro Logic stuff is automatically disabled in favor of the audio encoding on the Desc itself.
True.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by XIS

Fragile is on DVD-A? Where can I find it? I love Nine Inch Nails. So far I have With Teeth and Closer on DVD-A and they are wonderful to listen. I'm hoping Marilyn Manson re-release Antichrst Superstar on DVD-A for the 10Th anniversary.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:35 PM
10th Gear

I bought "Fragile" by Yes from a vendor associated with Amazon. That's probably one of the few places you'll see it, and be prepared to spend $50.00 or more.