Considering aftermarket bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering aftermarket bluetooth

I have a 2007 non-tech RDX (as well as a 2007 Tech) that I am considering putting an aftermarket bluetooth system in. The laws in Ontario are changing so I will have to find an option for this vehicle that can be accessible for all the drivers.

I have been looking around but haven't found much. I did find the Honda/Acura Vizualogic CigBlue BlueTooth Kit Combo. Has anyone installed this unit? How does it perform? Are there other aftermarket units for the RDX?

As well, I know that there is already a physical loation for the mic in the RDX, but I don't actually know where it is. Does anyone know where the mic in the Tech is located? I would likely install the aftermarket mic in the same location to maintain the sleek asthetics of the RDX.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Racer

RDX microphone is in the ceiling, near the rear view mirror.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Instructor

how about those rear-view mirror bluetooth setups? i just stumbled upon these recently and they look decent.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:43 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
What about an in-ear bluetooth headset?

Jawbone makes the best one on the market!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Cruisin'

I was thinking of the other portable, but more fixed options. The earpiece ones are probably best, but since there are multiple drivers of this RDX it doesn't lend itself to the vehicle use so well.

Johnny99 do you recall the rear-view mirror model? If I find one I will post it here.

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motorola IHF-1000 kit is installed in my TSX. I like the interface better than the RDX because when it needs more information, it waits for you to answer instead of pushing the button to make it listen to what your next command is. Buy a couple of additional parts and it mutes the radio just like the factory and has the voice some through your speakers. Ebay is a good place to look and get it for far cheaper than the $250+ new.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

fast1, thanks. This looks like a real good option.

Did you install it yourself? If so, is it an easy install?

Where did you buy your unit, and additional parts from?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
these what i found on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-L...1%7C240%3A1318

and the rear view mirror

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wirel...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 AM
Racer

gubby,

I did the install myself... it was really easy as I was able to get premade harnesses so it was truly plug and play. The most labor intensive aspect was routing the microphone and hiding the wire behind the A-pillar pieces as well as finding a place to mount the control unit (I'm a little OCD with making the install as clean as possible)

Now the bad news.... I just checked the website and I cannot find the applicable harness for the RDX for the same seemless install I have on my TSX. I'll list the parts you'll need anyhow in the event that an existing harness works or one is made in the future.

-IHF-1000: This is the brains of the whole thing; I got this on Craig's list for a significant discount; Ebay has them frequently for under $100 if you keep looking

-MSS (Motorola Speaker Switcher): This is the part that lets you ditch the big bulky speaker in the IHF-1000 kit and interfaces with the factory radio and speakers (this mutes the car speakers when the bluetooth is being used)

-Interface harness: this is what I cannot verify for the RDX; my part number was Peripherals PPH1721 but I have no clue what the RDX wiring is like and whether this one will work. It looks to be a standard Honda/Acura wiring harness for most of the recent vehicles uses a 20 pin connector.

I hope this helps... I've turned it into a bit of a scavenger hunt to find out what harness you need but this is by far the best bluetooth option that I could find for my TSX. One caveat, you don't get any display with this option but it will announce who is calling (if you've programmed the person into your system) or announce the incoming number. The voice prompts are good and with the included manual, there is little to figure out - a very well designed piece of gear!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by fast1
gubby,

I did the install myself... it was really easy as I was able to get premade harnesses so it was truly plug and play. The most labor intensive aspect was routing the microphone and hiding the wire behind the A-pillar pieces as well as finding a place to mount the control unit (I'm a little OCD with making the install as clean as possible)

Now the bad news.... I just checked the website and I cannot find the applicable harness for the RDX for the same seemless install I have on my TSX. I'll list the parts you'll need anyhow in the event that an existing harness works or one is made in the future.

-IHF-1000: This is the brains of the whole thing; I got this on Craig's list for a significant discount; Ebay has them frequently for under $100 if you keep looking

-MSS (Motorola Speaker Switcher): This is the part that lets you ditch the big bulky speaker in the IHF-1000 kit and interfaces with the factory radio and speakers (this mutes the car speakers when the bluetooth is being used)

-Interface harness: this is what I cannot verify for the RDX; my part number was Peripherals PPH1721 but I have no clue what the RDX wiring is like and whether this one will work. It looks to be a standard Honda/Acura wiring harness for most of the recent vehicles uses a 20 pin connector.

I hope this helps... I've turned it into a bit of a scavenger hunt to find out what harness you need but this is by far the best bluetooth option that I could find for my TSX. One caveat, you don't get any display with this option but it will announce who is calling (if you've programmed the person into your system) or announce the incoming number. The voice prompts are good and with the included manual, there is little to figure out - a very well designed piece of gear!

Will the Peripherals PPH1721 & MSS (Motorola Speaker Switcher) work with a 2005 TSX with an 8 speaker system?? Is the 8 speaker set up considered an applied audio system?

The MSS is a speaker level audio switcher designed for NON-AMPLIFIED AUDIO SYSTEM and not recommended for factory amplified audio system.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Racer

As long as you are stock Dave, you should be fine. I think they are refering to folks that have installed aftermarket amplifiers and because of where the MSS intercepts and mutes the radio outputs. Depending on where the amplifier is located in the sound signal, it may render the MSS ineffective.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:04 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by fast1
As long as you are stock Dave, you should be fine. I think they are refering to folks that have installed aftermarket amplifiers and because of where the MSS intercepts and mutes the radio outputs. Depending on where the amplifier is located in the sound signal, it may render the MSS ineffective.
Thanks fast1! So, as long as the stereo is stock I will only need the parts you detailed above??
Old 09-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Racer

That's all you need.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveCandy
Thanks fast1! So, as long as the stereo is stock I will only need the parts you detailed above??
Dave, send me an email... I can't send you a PM. r_radak@hotmail.com
Old 10-09-2009, 09:32 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
a more affordable option that is portable and not wired into the system are some of the Parrot products...
www.parrot.com