Acura's New Audio Connections in RDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura's New Audio Connections in RDX

I was looking at the new TL's website and was viewing the new audio connections in the center console - http://www.acura.com/InteractiveShow...nt_connections

How difficult do you think it would be for an Acura dealer to add this to the existing '08 RDX? I know there are the Neo's/Dice's out there but I like this set up. Do you think an Acura dealer could enhance the system in the RDX with the new system they have with USB connection?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know that the dealer would be able to do it for you but it can probably be done. That being said, I doubt it would be worth the cost. It would take quite a bit of work to be able to wire it to convert the existing hardware to be able to read from a USB port.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura has something called MusicLink where you can plug in your iPod, and you will be able to control it from your steering wheel and oem controls. This is an option for the RDX. You can't do the hard drive or USB thumb drive from acura, that's some new tech.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Snowman...thanks for the advice. I was thinking that would probably be the case.

Also Plausible, Acura/Honda doesn't produce the MusicLink anymore. It had a lot of problems so most people use a Neo or Dice product which I've heard are pretty good but I'm just looking at various options.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It stinks that the RDX does not have this technology built into it yet when other 09s do. Even the 09 Pilot has the USB connection. What happened to being "Technocharged"?

It works very nicely too. Plug your iPhone/iPod into it and it reads everything. Displays the info on the nav screen. navigate the playlists, artists, songs, albums, etc all through the nav screen and jog wheel. It would be really slick if it showed the album art, but that might be asking too much...
Old 02-18-2009, 08:48 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by plausible
Acura has something called MusicLink
nope, this died over a year ago
Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

I got a bunch of stuff on the wiring. Also the USB box that is used by the TSX is purchasable and I have it. Saddly just hooking it into the radio didnt work. I think its beacuse the "AUX" button on the TSX has a specific voltage that selects the USB box over the Line in.

Also the RDX radio has a "DISC/AUX" button but both the "line in" and "changer" are integrated so I would think that the button just switches internally between the internal inputs. The XM button uses the CD Changer interface but there is no way to select the USB interface instead of the XM interface.

I can post the wiring diagrams I have if anyone is interested and wants to pitch in?

The cost of the box was only about 130 bucks.

- SK
Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SiliconKnight
I got a bunch of stuff on the wiring. Also the USB box that is used by the TSX is purchasable and I have it. Saddly just hooking it into the radio didnt work. I think its beacuse the "AUX" button on the TSX has a specific voltage that selects the USB box over the Line in.

Also the RDX radio has a "DISC/AUX" button but both the "line in" and "changer" are integrated so I would think that the button just switches internally between the internal inputs. The XM button uses the CD Changer interface but there is no way to select the USB interface instead of the XM interface.

I can post the wiring diagrams I have if anyone is interested and wants to pitch in?

The cost of the box was only about 130 bucks.

- SK
Here are some files on how the wiring works for the HU and USB ports for the TSX / RDX / Honda Fit

FIT_USB.pdf
FIT_USB_NAVI_CONNECTOR.pdf
TSX_AUDIO_SWITCH_PANEL1.pdf
TSX_AUDIO_SWITCH_PANEL2.pdf
TSX_MIXC.pdf
TSX_USB-HU.pdf
TSX_USB_NAVI_CONNECTOR.pdf
TSX_XM-AUDIO.pdf
Old 02-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Racer

I had an '09 TSX loaner with the "MusicLink" connector. It worked half the time on my iPhone, needless to say it's garbage at best.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:45 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
really....if it was in the car, the dealer installed a left over accessory...because acura shelved the whole thing after the 08's came out and the system was basically incompatable
Old 02-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

I've been able to swap the Honda Fit USB adapter with my TSX USB Adapter and they both work interchangeably so I think its a safe bet that its the same part.

The big difference is that the Audio HU on the TSX has a "AUX" button thats used for selecting the Audio Line IN and the USB adapter. The RDX does not.

I think thats the problem. I would love for someone to correct me, but I think until we get a "AUX" button on the Audio HU then it wont work.

I know that their is an AUX button thats shared with "DISC" but as I said above both the CD Changer and the LINE IN are integrated into the HU directly so we cant tap into that to select the USB Adapter.

I have the USB Adapter on the same 14Pin CD Changer as the XM radio (XM still works) but no dice with the USB Adapter, I'm guessing its because it isnt active.

I thought perhaps it was because the NAVI didnt register it, but their is no sound at all and I assume that at least audio should play. I've tried a bunch of thing even just plugging in the USB jack dosnt work (TSX it automatically selects the USB Input).

So thats where I stand right now trying to get the USB adapter to work on my car. Any hints or general ideas? I'm sure you guys are better at this stuff then I am.

- SK