2009 RDX - USB Port?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 RDX - USB Port?

So quick question. I know the 09 TSX has a USB port in the center console and the TSX and RDX both share the same (i assume) Navi head end. Do you think it would be possible to get a replacement cable/connector for the TSX an put it into the RDX?

I really hate burning CDs / DVDs to play in the car and from all accounts the MusicLink / iLinc isnt all that good.

I'm thinking about just going to acura and getting the cable / adapter from the TSX and going to a car audio place to connect it into either my glovebox or ideally the center console like the TSX.

Thanks,
SK
Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Silicon - I think the cheapest and fastest thing to do is buy a cable from Cables To Go for an iPod and play your music that way. I do that and the sound is great. Just make sure the cable connects the iPod from the docking part and not the headphone part as the sound is better this way.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Racer

I think he's looking for a way to see your play list (or at least the current song info) on the RDX nav screen. I'd like a product like that, too, for either a USB drive or iPod, and without breaking the XM radio.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnny99
I think he's looking for a way to see your play list (or at least the current song info) on the RDX nav screen. I'd like a product like that, too, for either a USB drive or iPod, and without breaking the XM radio.
Yea pretty much. I see a lot of products that go into the bus DIN connector on the back of the head unit but I'm not exactly sure of how compatible they are with the on-screen navigation unit.

Here is what I would like it to do:
- Integrate into the center console (like the TSX)
- Show artist, playlist, song, etc... on the head unit
- Support USB (not just an iPod dock)
- Not break any existing functionality (XM, etc...)

I've done a lot of searching and even found the replacement USB controller (Edit: From the TSX) that connects into the navi but its all schematics. Can anyone tell me how this may work? Or have any high quality images of the ports on the back of the nav unit?

Thanks for you help guys & Happy New Years,
SK

Last edited by SiliconKnight; 12-31-2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: More Detail
Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SiliconKnight
Yea pretty much. I see a lot of products that go into the bus DIN connector on the back of the head unit but I'm not exactly sure of how compatible they are with the on-screen navigation unit.

Here is what I would like it to do:
- Integrate into the center console (like the TSX)
- Show artist, playlist, song, etc... on the head unit
- Support USB (not just an iPod dock)
- Not break any existing functionality (XM, etc...)

I've done a lot of searching and even found the replacement USB controller (Edit: From the TSX) that connects into the navi but its all schematics. Can anyone tell me how this may work? Or have any high quality images of the ports on the back of the nav unit?

Thanks for you help guys & Happy New Years,
SK
Hey - did you ever figure this out? I'd like to be able to use USB and get the info/control up on the screen (like an iPod adapter) for my 2008 Tech.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I recall the USB port on the TSX (had it as a loaner), pretty neat.
I was also perplexed to find out that the TSX has a way better stereo (better sound, better display and interface) than the RDX, which is supposed to be the hi tech model of Acura... :^(
Old 03-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stathis can you explain the differences you know of between the two stereos? Because when I look at the specs with the TL compared to the RDX they are exactly the same. Both are a Panasonic ELS system with 10 speaker sound, 5.1, WMA, DVD-A, Dolby Pro Logic II, etc. The stereo system is exactly the same. Looks like they've improved the interface a little but that's it. Speakers are exactly same make as well. So possibly the interior dimensions of the car are putting off a "better" sound but I doubt the stereo is.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Teledatageek
Hey - did you ever figure this out? I'd like to be able to use USB and get the info/control up on the screen (like an iPod adapter) for my 2008 Tech.
Me too! What's the best product out there?