2009 RDX non-Tech / add navigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2009 RDX non-Tech / add navigation

Hey there everyone, you'll have to excuse me if I'm repeating something that has already been posted elsewhere but I could not find it. Here is my situation:

I bought my mom a 2009 Acura RDX non-tech package but she wants the factory navigation in the vehicle. I told her there were probably other ways to go buy she's all about factory. So here is my theory. In order for this to happen, I would have to replace:

- 6 disc changer (because of the DVD and control differences)
- Climate Radio Navigation Control bezel (did I spell that right?)
- Have to add the DVD navigation drive
- Install the GPS antenna? (unless it's already included in the base model for the XM)
- Replacement navigation display to accompany the new bezel.
- And possibly a replacement harness for the Technology Package because the non-tech package harness might not be the same.

So basically this is what I am trying to accomplish. If someone has some insight on this, I would be more than appreciative. If I'm missing something, need to add or remove something, etc, please help me make this job go a lot easier (if it's possible). Thank you all!!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
I don't think the swap has ever been done
Old 06-02-2012, 07:31 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face :)

No idea where I might find information on the subject huh?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Try asking the dealer for an estimate. You'll have a parts list that way. My guess is even doing the work yourself the cost will be too high. Get a phone or pad or garmin.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^easier and cheaper to get a smart phone with a gps and she has a phone and camera to boot. otherwise you might mess it up if and when you do decide to trade it on down the road. I wanted a tech when I bought my 2008 and I am glad I did not...Smart phone technology is alot better.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by DanRDX
^^easier and cheaper to get a smart phone with a gps and she has a phone and camera to boot. otherwise you might mess it up if and when you do decide to trade it on down the road. I wanted a tech when I bought my 2008 and I am glad I did not...Smart phone technology is alot better.
Um... Your smart phone wont do half of what the Honda/Acura Navi's do. I mean everything the navi does.

I digress to this question... Didnt you know before you bought that she wanted navi before you locked in on a purchase?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Um... Your smart phone wont do half of what the Honda/Acura Navi's do. I mean everything the navi does.

I digress to this question... Didnt you know before you bought that she wanted navi before you locked in on a purchase?
^^ um...what else do you need it to do? get you from point A to point B and not get you lost. What do you use your GPS for, surfing the internet in your car, transcontinental driving and traversing along rugged terrain to places unknown...sound like an intelligent and awesome thing to do in a TL
Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Advanced

^^ um...what else do you need it to do? get you from point A to point B and not get you lost. What do you use your GPS for, surfing the internet in your car, transcontinental driving and traversing along rugged terrain to places unknown...sound like an intelligent and awesome thing to do in a TL. I am sure you can do more with the $$ you would spend on all that stuff put a GPS in the car. Great idea in theory...I got a bridge to sell you if you are interested
Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 PM
PM me if you need a reply

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I always thought about doing this. I want bluetooth, better stereo/speakers, upper-dash mounted display (above the additional center speaker), backup cam and USB. Not interested in the navi because, yes, my smartphone can do much more than Acura's navi.

A dealership quote sounds like a good place to start for a DIY parts list.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by InfamousJamous
I always thought about doing this. I want bluetooth, better stereo/speakers, upper-dash mounted display (above the additional center speaker), backup cam and USB. Not interested in the navi because, yes, my smartphone can do much more than Acura's navi.

A dealership quote sounds like a good place to start for a DIY parts list.
I'm sorry but if you were educated on what the total Acura Navi does you'll soon understand that your Android (which i have)/iPhone dont come close to doing.

Can your phone:

- Change your radio station or cd track by voice? No
- Does your smartphone place the current wx radar over you nav map? No
- Can your smartphone callin and schedule your next service or tell Acura what wrong with your car wirelessly? No
- Can your smartphone change the thermostat or fan speed of the car by voice? No
- Does your smartphone give you the ability to select a specific song on you iPhone or USB thumb drive by voice? No

Now with all this said, for those that want to drop money to convert your vehicle to have navi you'll end up paying more out of pocket than flat out buying an acura with tech pkg.

Oh and another thing. When trading or reselling your car, you'll never see any of that money back. On the used market a honda/acura with nav is only a $500-700.00 difference.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:29 PM
PM me if you need a reply

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm sorry but if you were educated on what the total Acura Navi does you'll soon understand that your Android (which i have)/iPhone dont come close to doing.

Can your phone:

- Change your radio station or cd track by voice? No
- Does your smartphone place the current wx radar over you nav map? No
- Can your smartphone callin and schedule your next service or tell Acura what wrong with your car wirelessly? No
- Can your smartphone change the thermostat or fan speed of the car by voice? No
- Does your smartphone give you the ability to select a specific song on you iPhone or USB thumb drive by voice? No

Now with all this said, for those that want to drop money to convert your vehicle to have navi you'll end up paying more out of pocket than flat out buying an acura with tech pkg.

Oh and another thing. When trading or reselling your car, you'll never see any of that money back. On the used market a honda/acura with nav is only a $500-700.00 difference.
I only posted because I want to add the other features listed in my previous post. Did you notice that I didn't want Acura's navi? No.

We can argue point by point and list all different the features or pros and cons, but everyone has their own interests. I could care less about the features you mentioned and have never been interested in factory navigation systems. They get outdated so fast while smartphones continue to get updated. There are far more things that "Droid does". Sure, it doesn't do it all but a smartphone is still smarter more cost effective for most of us.

If the OP wants to do it, show some support. I don't think it's cost effective but the RDX community would benefit from this regardless. I've always wanted to know the parts/labor involved. Maybe we can throw in other Tech pkg features like the MID.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Op has not been on az since 6/3...when he made all 3 of his posts. He may not be real serious about this conversion.

And while Nav systems have some nice car related functions, until they become portable, and more powerful, our phones are better in many ways.
Nav has limited potential while this phone I am using to post this will continue to have upgrades in os and apps. I look forward to the day you can ask Siri to turn up the boost.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up Lets accomplish this!

I have a Base 08 and she would also enjoy a stock nav unit. I have an iPhone and the ipad both running the NAVTEQ Navigation app, which is a very reliable method; but I honestly feel that it is also very distracting while driving.

I would say we/I might go get the dealer-install part list/ "quote" for install.

Apparently people enjoy striping the RDX... if you jump on ebay.com you can find a plethora of OEM parts for our cars.

With the right parts the install should be a breeze, hopefully a Plug and play type of deal.

Def keep this thread going guys!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vaprea
I have a Base 08 and she would also enjoy a stock nav unit. I have an iPhone and the ipad both running the NAVTEQ Navigation app, which is a very reliable method; but I honestly feel that it is also very distracting while driving.

I would say we/I might go get the dealer-install part list/ "quote" for install.

Apparently people enjoy striping the RDX... if you jump on ebay.com you can find a plethora of OEM parts for our cars.

With the right parts the install should be a breeze, hopefully a Plug and play type of deal.

Def keep this thread going guys!
Don't think like other cars there's an aftermarket dash unit for the RDX. I did see a few OEM GPS units on ebay, but one seller said that if you're looking to install this unit in a non-gps RDX don't bother as there are to many more parts you're going to need.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Dude you're better off with aftermarket GPS. Stock RDX GPS sucks. plus you'll spend thousands of dollars getting a non tech RDX to a Tech RDX ... Go to acuraparts and see how much the GPs unit cost. In my opinion its not worth it.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
+2
I'll chime in here.

I'll admit I TOYED with the idea, but the MONEY involved in doing it, and yeilds a major lose in cash in return. If any problems arise Acura will tell you you are on your own-- FYI: Acura's service dept won't install it-- as well.

Anyway it gets highly-technical the parts are not plug and play, harnesses can be made, salvaged,or bought. Some of the exsisting harnesses will need to be spliced and lenghtened. The 5volt and data lines need to be soldered and re-ran. IIRC $600-700 is not even close to the parts amount, but if I were to charge for labor that is what you'd be looking at. Even if the parts are handed to you, for that amount a removable GPS is still better decision.

Be advised. Today's cars are frustrating once the car is in drive or it senses movement it shut's down GPS input. Try finding a Taco Bell while driving (reverse, in drive, indrive with foot on brake) with a in car Navi. My wife's nav in her Juke is a POS although it has a better integration with the car, I'd never part with a "removable" GPS.

Also, my wife complained to me that she wanted hand's free for the RDX so she could talk and drive, and I know that Aftermarket recievers for cars are starting to integrate BT as a standard feature. I wired a H/U up and now the center controls she was SOOO used to are now in operable. And until recently I just got the Steering wheel controls working, actually acura's fualt as the pinouts are miss-labled and PAC Audio used Acura's ETM.

Well my thought is a decent GPS unit is sufficent. I own a Garm nuvi, and i can take it with any vehicle, bicycle, or on foot to get where I want to go. My Garmin has BT for handsfree operation. Some food for thought.
The following users liked this post:
InfamousJamous (07-02-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
forgot there is a voice command for nav, if you have an accent your SOL, if you talk like a robot your good tho.
The following users liked this post:
MPBRDX (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaze66218
forgot there is a voice command for nav, if you have an accent your SOL, if you talk like a robot your good tho.

Voice command on the RDX is useless. I could say change radio to 101.5 and the damn thing comes back saying "raising temp 2 degrees.

Haven't used voice commands since day 1.