2009 Navi Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catnippants
I bought my RDX in Aug of '06 - and it was so new that it came with the 2006 disk. I convinced my dealer to buy me the 2007 update since I had technically purchased a 2007 car. I just updated to 4.73A - and I don't see much of a difference at all. There are 1M more points of interest, but basic stores like Best Buy that have been in my area for years still aren't there. Don't get your hopes up for anything amazing...

I only caved in because of the price break, and the fact that I was getting sick of manually setting my clock to handle the new DST dates. At least I got SOME new data from it.

Mike
Actually, Acura has a software patch for the DST for 4.56 or earlier. This is described in Service Bulletin 07-22 "Navigation Software Updates for Daylight Saving Time (DST), DVD Read Error Message, and Other Listed Symptoms (see Table on Page 2)" It's a .3 hour warranty procedure.

The Table list a slew of other things that affect 4.31, 4.55, and 4.56 that relates to the backup camera and stuff. So you're really getting more than a few POI's from the update
Old 03-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Here's a direct link to the bulletin:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-022.pdf

I guess it wasn't my imagination then! I upgraded from 4.55 and experienced every listed error/issue. Nice to know I got more than just a Nav update....and I guess it stings a bit to know that I could have had those fixes for free. Thanks Acura for not letting me know about this.

Mike
Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Racer

Nice link posting - good job!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Instructor

This talks about a fix for the camera taking so long to come on when selecting reverse, that would be great. I usually back up and select drive before the camera ever has a chance to come on.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:15 AM
Racer

I don't think I would pay $150 for the nav update. It's worth maybe $30 a year at the most to me. My problem with the nav update is there is just way too many errors with the POI. Try looking up Startbucks or Best Buy. Too many times I try to look for the nearest big brand store and get something 2000 miles away. I should see if the nav can find the nearest McDonalds just for kick. If some one could just tell me if they corrected the error in the POI and maybe I will buy one update.

I have a buddy of mines who have a Honda Civic with Nav., I got in his car one day and I noticed he got a portable nav inside also. I asked why do you have the portable nav and he said it was easier to use than the car nav and he can find POI better. He was having the same problem I was having where the car Nav has lots of POI but trying to find the address or number of the POI you want can be difficult. So now I'm thinking to get getto and put a portable <$150 nav in my RDX with the Tech package.

I'm not sure if make sense to buy a car with a nav anymore.

Also, I wish the RDX nav system would actively give you the nearest Starbucks or other store you specify as you are driving. What's a good portable Nav?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SolidState
I don't think I would pay $150 for the nav update. It's worth maybe $30 a year at the most to me. My problem with the nav update is there is just way too many errors with the POI. Try looking up Startbucks or Best Buy. Too many times I try to look for the nearest big brand store and get something 2000 miles away. I should see if the nav can find the nearest McDonalds just for kick. If some one could just tell me if they corrected the error in the POI and maybe I will buy one update.

I have a buddy of mines who have a Honda Civic with Nav., I got in his car one day and I noticed he got a portable nav inside also. I asked why do you have the portable nav and he said it was easier to use than the car nav and he can find POI better. He was having the same problem I was having where the car Nav has lots of POI but trying to find the address or number of the POI you want can be difficult. So now I'm thinking to get getto and put a portable <$150 nav in my RDX with the Tech package.

I'm not sure if make sense to buy a car with a nav anymore.

Also, I wish the RDX nav system would actively give you the nearest Starbucks or other store you specify as you are driving. What's a good portable Nav?
Garmin - their higher end models are excellent. I used to be a fan of the built in Nav until I bought my wife a Garmin Nuvi. It did everything my built in Nav did (including bluetooth, music, etc.) and the interface was better. Now we take hers when we go places, just in case the built in Nav doesn't find what we want. Garmin's POIs just seem more relevant for exploring. In some small towns around here, my Nav will find exactly 0 places to go shopping or eat, while my wife's Nuvi will find 10-20.

I was disappointed to see that the 4.73 update didn't fix any POI issues for me. There may be a million more, but I guess they are just gas stations or Acura and Honda dealers.

For what it's worth, Garmin uses NavTeq street data, which the RDX uses as well. In my area, I find NavTeq to be more accurate than TeleAtlas - which is what TomTom uses.

Mike
Old 04-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by catnippants
Garmin - their higher end models are excellent. I used to be a fan of the built in Nav until I bought my wife a Garmin Nuvi. It did everything my built in Nav did (including bluetooth, music, etc.) and the interface was better. Now we take hers when we go places, just in case the built in Nav doesn't find what we want. Garmin's POIs just seem more relevant for exploring. In some small towns around here, my Nav will find exactly 0 places to go shopping or eat, while my wife's Nuvi will find 10-20.

I was disappointed to see that the 4.73 update didn't fix any POI issues for me. There may be a million more, but I guess they are just gas stations or Acura and Honda dealers.

For what it's worth, Garmin uses NavTeq street data, which the RDX uses as well. In my area, I find NavTeq to be more accurate than TeleAtlas - which is what TomTom uses.

Mike
Thanks Mike, that's good to know. I'm in the market for a new car for my fiancee. I was going to get the TSX but the 2009 TSX is so fugly outside and she thinks it's too big. She drives a civic and likes small cars, but not me. She doesn't even like driving my RDX. I was going to get the nav and HFL, but the portable navs are looking better everyday and I don't want her to get furstrated with the acura nav. I wish she knew how to drive a manual, then I can dig a civic si.

Is it me or do the new acuras (TSX, TL) look so ugly. It's like a bunch of Ford and GM designers and marketing poeople got jobs at acura. I'm even considering a 2008 TXS if it had Ipod connection.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Pro

I'm not crazy about the new Acura design direction either. Unfortunately, I think the new TL is butt ugly. I actually think the new TSX is the nicest looking of the bunch - but that's not saying much. For some reason, I had it in my mind that the TSX was based on the Civic, and the TL was based on the Accord - are both the TSX and TL based on the Accord frame?

One thing to be aware of though. Even though the Garmin Nuvis support bluetooth, etc. (specific models), there is something to be said for the convenience of having it totally integrated. With any portable Nav, the best you can do is run the output into the car stereo aux jack - which is inconvenient at best. Add in the power cord, and the wires add up. Also, even though I prefer Garmin, I'd still recommend that you spend some time comparing the portable units - not only features, but brands. In some areas of the country, the TeleAtlas street data IS more accurate, and you may find TomTom to be a better fit. The TomTom units tend to have more settings and options when compared to Garmin - and can be confusing to some people. The Garmin interface is very simple and straightforward - but it works so well that it just doesn't need all the additional bells and whistles. If your fiance is not a tech nerd, then there's a good chance she'll appreciate the simplicity of the Garmin. As I said, my wife LOVES hers.

Good luck,
Mike
Old 04-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Advanced

The TSX and TL are both based on the Accord. I'm not sure about the 09 TSX, but the 2004-2008 were based on the European Accord (hence the smaller size). As for the design, I would agree that the TL is overstyled. To me, it looks like the car is driving in reverse, as the rear looks like it should be a front-end. I had a 2008 TSX with Navi before trading it in for a 2007 RDX Tech. Primary reason for the trade was comfort for my wife who has a bad back (post purchase). Also was not crazy about the build quality of my 2008 TSX. Many swear by the "Built 100% in Japan", but it truly doesn't matter. If you're considering a 2008 or older, keep in mind that you'll find a substantial difference in the materials between your current RDX and the TSX. The 2004-2008 are the same car, with very few changes throughout the years, and as a result, the doors are very light, with a hollow clunk when they close, road noise is pronounced (greater than most Honda products), you can feel the vibration of the windshield wiper motor on the gas pedal, and many others.

I'm not in any way saying the 2004-2008 TSX is a bad car, but for someone in an RDX, there are substantial differences in quality --- then again there is nearly a $10K difference as well when new.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SolidState
My problem with the nav update is there is just way too many errors with the POI. Try looking up Startbucks or Best Buy. Too many times I try to look for the nearest big brand store and get something 2000 miles away. I should see if the nav can find the nearest McDonalds just for kick. If some one could just tell me if they corrected the error in the POI and maybe I will buy one update.

It can do this, it has been able to do it since the beginning, but you have to use the right part of the system.

I forget how I used to do it when I had the same problem as you, but I did the "most obvious" thing and always ended up with really bogus search results. But then someone on here pointed out how to do a search and I tried it and now I always get the closest stores. Now I use this method without even thinking about it.

Basically choose Places, then Category, then choose a category and select "All types" from the sub-category menu, then select By Keyword, then Closest, then type "Starb" for starbucks or "Best" for best buy, or "Walg" for walgreens, etc. then hit Up and voila - very useful searches every time...
Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Thank you a TON for that SB info.
My camera has been slow forever, the color has been bad and a little washed out and I was just dealing with it. I will be so much happier with color the same as my MDX !!