[bluetooth] how do I transfer from headset to phone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[bluetooth] how do I transfer from headset to phone?

I have a TMobile Blackberry, and I was curious if there is a way I can switch from my handset to the HFL while already on a call? The handset automatically goes to BT, but how do I pick up the call from HFL?

-N
Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hit the handsfreelink button and say "transfer".

edit: by the way, that "transfer" command goes both ways...
Old 02-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
With my T-Mobile Blackberry Pearl I have to wait for the other party to answer before I can transfer. That may be Pearl specific or it may be Blackberry specific as others report that they can transfer as soon as they hit Send.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:19 PM
5th Gear

Is there a way to default incoming/outgoing calls to the phone without having to use the "transfer" method?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gatorbob
Is there a way to default incoming/outgoing calls to the phone without having to use the "transfer" method?
I'm not sure if this is the answer to your question, but if you answer the phone normally (w/o HFL button) you can just use your phone to talk. I am not sure if a headset would work this way since your phone is already paired with the car, but if your phone allows multi-pairing, it should work.
When you have an incoming call:
1. Hit the HFL button to talk in speaker mode.
2. Answer normally with your phone to use the phone.
3. Answer using headset to use headset.
I hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:35 AM
5th Gear

The problem is that when the phone is paired (you can see the "phone" icon on top display) and we make a call from the blackberry or one comes in it does not automatically go through the car's stereo. You have to hit the button and say "transfer" to get it to do so.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Yes, gatorbob, that is the unfortunate way it works at this point for outgoing calls. Even worse with my Blackberry Pearl I have to wait until the other party answers before it lets me transfer - otherwise I get a very polite voice telling me "There is no call in progress".

I've had to train the HFL to learn the names and numbers of my closest friends and coworkers and it is clunkier to use than my Pearl's voice recognition, but at least I don't have to do the transfer very often...

But, on incoming calls they get picked up automatically by the HFL every time for me. Check the HFL settings. I think there were settings for "alert vs. no alert" and "voice alert vs. ringtone". Depending on how they are set it may not be ringing on the HFL and you may have to manually transfer. After I set those up, when my phone rings I get a nice voice telling me "You have an incoming call", I hit the HFL button and I'm talking to the other party - easy as any BT device.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Racer

It would be nice if I could transfer than saying "Transfer." I can stand the RDX HFL, for whatever reason it doesn't always recognize commands and seems awkward to use.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

The problem is that when the phone is paired (you can see the "phone" icon on top display) and we make a call from the blackberry or one comes in it does not automatically go through the car's stereo. You have to hit the button and say "transfer" to get it to do so.
I prefer mine this way. If I have passengers in the car, I want to be able to pick up the phone and use it standalone as a phone for privacy reasons.

A transfer button would be cool though.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:45 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by flar
Yes, gatorbob, that is the unfortunate way it works at this point for outgoing calls. Even worse with my Blackberry Pearl I have to wait until the other party answers before it lets me transfer - otherwise I get a very polite voice telling me "There is no call in progress".

I've had to train the HFL to learn the names and numbers of my closest friends and coworkers and it is clunkier to use than my Pearl's voice recognition, but at least I don't have to do the transfer very often...

But, on incoming calls they get picked up automatically by the HFL every time for me. Check the HFL settings. I think there were settings for "alert vs. no alert" and "voice alert vs. ringtone". Depending on how they are set it may not be ringing on the HFL and you may have to manually transfer. After I set those up, when my phone rings I get a nice voice telling me "You have an incoming call", I hit the HFL button and I'm talking to the other party - easy as any BT device.
Thanks, I am used to the system in my BMW that does route incoming/outgoing calls through the car automatically (and downloads the entire phonebook as well).

Where the these settings for the HFL found? We have only had the car a week and I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Thanks, I am used to the system in my BMW that does route incoming/outgoing calls through the car automatically (and downloads the entire phonebook as well).

Where the these settings for the HFL found? We have only had the car a week and I'm still trying to figure it all out.
There is no phonebook download in case you weren't already aware.

To setup the HFL, press the HFL button and say "System", then I think one of the options is "Setup" - press the HFL button again before you say "Setup", then it will list other options, including control of notifications.

One of the things I found annoying with the HFL and other voice systems in the car is that it asks you a question, but you have to hit the button again to answer. (By contrast when my Pearl's voice recognition needs more input it asks me and I just answer - like a conversation.) For the first day I was trying to just answer the question and having no luck and getting frustrated.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Originally Posted by sasair
I prefer mine this way. If I have passengers in the car, I want to be able to pick up the phone and use it standalone as a phone for privacy reasons.

A transfer button would be cool though.
I think the flexibility to answer on handset or by HFL is cool, though I don't have any use for it personally.

It's a shame that there isn't an easy way to either change the default for calls placed by the phone because HFL would be my 99.5% preference - or an easier way to transfer (like a button).

For example, if there is a call being placed by the phone, it would be nice to just hit the HFL button to have it transfer (what else are you going to do with the HFL at that moment - make another outgoing call?). Or, double tap the HFL button means transfer, but single tap means wait for my command (not sure what command that would be, though, other than transfer). This would make it consistent with incoming calls as well - you just hit the HFL button to answer on the HFL if there is a call in progress.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by flar
I think the flexibility to answer on handset or by HFL is cool, though I don't have any use for it personally.

It's a shame that there isn't an easy way to either change the default for calls placed by the phone because HFL would be my 99.5% preference - or an easier way to transfer (like a button).

For example, if there is a call being placed by the phone, it would be nice to just hit the HFL button to have it transfer (what else are you going to do with the HFL at that moment - make another outgoing call?). Or, double tap the HFL button means transfer, but single tap means wait for my command (not sure what command that would be, though, other than transfer). This would make it consistent with incoming calls as well - you just hit the HFL button to answer on the HFL if there is a call in progress.
I totally agree with you. HFL seems broken or limited usability. It works for Sasair but it a step back for me compared to other stuff I've used. Worst updating or using the phone book is a pain. I rather a list to scroll through. The nav address books seems a little better to use.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm not saying there couldn't be some major improvements to the HFL system, but I make do with what it presented to me. I am very used to initiating phone calls from my cell phone and transferring the call to HFL. I am most used to using the phonebook on my cell phone as I used it inside and outside the vehicle. Kind of like navigating the ipod on the ipod. It's the best interface to deal with.

It's certainly better than nothing at all or a third party after market device IMO. Like I'm sure the Motorola Bluetooth kit is pretty good and better integrates with my motorola phone, but I wouldn't want to have it installed in my vehicle....
Old 02-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

And it is interesting that the Nav phonebook has an entry for the phone number, but you can't access that through the HFL (like assigning a voice tag to it). It's mostly an empty gesture, or possibly a waste of my time, but I end up entering my friends' phone numbers twice - once in Nav and once in HFL. I guess if I use nav to "Show destination" I then have the option to call them by clicking the button instead of having to use a voice prompt, but it's just silly that they would maintain the two databases separate like that...

(And you may ask why I bother entering my friends' addresses in Nav - precisely to trump all of those "what's the best way to get there from here" conversations one can have as the default chauffeur in a non-grid city. It also gives my OCD tendencies a Zen feeling of completeness when my car knows all of my friends... )