You Are Not Welcome At Radley Acura In Arlington Va!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weeeerd
You guys must have piss poor dealers and for that, I apologize. I didn't realize some of you had to wait an hour for an oil change, had your cars scratched, and have 6 or 7 miles on your car. For the guy spending 55 dollars on an oil change, apparently you have no common sense or your dealer is raping you, bad. Ours is 29.95 and we run coupon specials at 23.95 all day long.

Maybe you guys should come here, I'm not going to say we are perfect but apparently, we are MUCH better then where alot of you guys may go.

I'm only here to defend dealers under certain circumstances, because I work in one. I understand what goes on. I'm not telling the OP to give a 5 if he had to go back. That's crap. I want to take my car in and have everything taken care of at once. I have better things to do then repeat appointments at dealers.

Jeesh, weeeerd against Acurazine.

weeeerd

no sweat.. I don't think it's exactly Acurazine vs. weeeerd

But, I think people are finding it interesting that -- since you apparently work for a dealer -- you're so convinced that the "gimme a 5" or "gimme a 10" idea is a good thing. It just CAN'T be. The apparent evidence that your experience at a dealership has led you to accept -- without question -- that dealerships should get the highest mark for doing adequate work tells us a lot about the mindset.

If customers aren't free to rate based on their ACTUAL experience, then the rating system is doomed. It can't do what it's supposed to do. In fact, I'm going to ask Acura (in a letter, which I here -- formally -- invite all Acurazine members to do), to INSTRUCT their dealers NOT TO COMMUNICATE RATING INSTRUCTIONS TO CUSTOMERS AT THE RISK OF HAVING THEIR RATING REDUCED IF THEY DO.

Dealers can do a lot of creative things to push the EXCEED EXPECTATIONS ideal.

Examples:

1) Make a committment to meet or beat all time estimates. (Yesterday, I took my week-old 2008 Tech RDX into the dealership and was told it would take 2 hours. Four hours later (waiting in the dealership wait room), I had to go out to the service area to ask how much longer it would take to finish the work on my RDX.

2) Stop making customers feel like dealerships get nothing for their warranty business. Geesh. We all know that's not true.

3) Give a QUALITY wash job (streaks, lint, and half-@ssed work is common).

4) Provide loaners even if the work isn't overnight. (Some people have errands to run during the day. I did yesterday).

5) Send vehicles back with EVERYTHING set exactly the way it was when you received it. (I hate having to reset seats, mirrors, radio, a/c, etc., back to my settings after some tech. reset it all. Yesterday, I got my car back with one of the presets CHANGED to a radio station I would never listen to!)

6) Feed customers a REAL MEAL in a local restaurant if they are inconvenienced enough to have to wait through a meal.

7) use your imagination.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Instructor

For anyone wishing to write Acura asking them to instruct dealers not to communicate rating instructions to customers:

American Honda Motor Company Inc. Acura Div.
700 Van Ness Ave., Torrance, CA, United States
(310)783-2000, USA (310)783-3273 fax
Old 10-09-2007, 03:30 PM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a question. Why are the dealerships given the information of specific customer's responses to the surveys? I assume so they can try to fix the problem, if there was one? How about making the surveys anonymous, or at least give the survey respondent the opportunity to opt-out of the personal information?
I can not imagine a dealer getting a survey response they did not like and then going through the steps of linking the results to a customer's account and blacklisting them. We as consumers have choices! I hate when a company (thinks) they are so successful they do not need your business and treat you poorly. Companies like that are either a monopoly or will not last very long. The "you don't have to spend your money here" attitude gets old real fast.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Instructor

some of you guys are making this into weeeeerd vs. all thread. Let me break it to you guys.. "NOT ALL DEALERS ARE ASS HOLES"

I think you'll run into different dealership and experiences. When we used to go to lexus dealership, we had night and day different experiences. Same with Honda dealerships.

I specifically take my car to dealer near by although I didn't buy my Accord there. Although it did sound bit unreasonable when Wweeerd said "take care of dealer, then they'll take care of you", it is true. Not necessarily take care of the dealer, but act as professional and get to know your service advisor. I always found it helpful to stick to just ONE supervisor at service dept.

My lexus dealer supervisor was great. He was very helpful with all the problems we had, which we did end up getting rid of the car. He even gave me free brake pad/rotors+installation labor for service. I didn't even go in to complain.. it was just time for new brake pad. What a nice guy!
Same with Honda, I got to know the supervisor and he hooks me up with free oil change time to time. If they do something wrong, I'll tell them that its wrong. If they do a good job, I let them know that they did a great job.

I'm sorry that this dealership is giving you crap. I say move on from that dealership, definitely complain to honda of america.

(sorry if my punctuation or sentence structure is horrible. Watching a movie and typing gets bit confusing!
Old 10-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by flags
Just a question. Why are the dealerships given the information of specific customer's responses to the surveys? I assume so they can try to fix the problem, if there was one? How about making the surveys anonymous, or at least give the survey respondent the opportunity to opt-out of the personal information?
I can not imagine a dealer getting a survey response they did not like and then going through the steps of linking the results to a customer's account and blacklisting them. We as consumers have choices! I hate when a company (thinks) they are so successful they do not need your business and treat you poorly. Companies like that are either a monopoly or will not last very long. The "you don't have to spend your money here" attitude gets old real fast.
If don't know who the customer is, then you don't know the situation. The first thing I do when I get to work is check to see if I have had any surveys come back. Sometimes the customer has a problem that they mentioned on the survey that they haven't contacted me about, if that's the case, I call them first to get things straightened out.

I think this turned into Azine vs. Weeerd because he condoned the "hook me up with a good survey" approach.

When I explain the survey to my customers, I never ask for anything I didn't earn. If I didn't earn 5's, I don't expect them.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Advanced

I actually don't live anywhere near where you guys are. But i've done business with 3 different Acura dealerships across the midwest. I've been pleased with the service and treatment of 2/3. This last experience was my worst. I have a 04 TSX and I took it in to get the brakes changed due to warped rotors. I also took the car in because the seat was loose and it would slide forward everytime i hit the brakes. They took care of my rotors and gave me new pads...but the guy told me that all he could do to fix the seat was replace the brackets. I figured he had done this, but he then told me "i don't feel that it's necessary to replace them" and right there I was shocked. I mean isn't the reason we take our vehicles in to a so-called luxury dealership is to get luxury treatment? Shouldn't he replace it then let me be the judge of whether it was needed or not? To top it off...this dealership was co-joined with mercedes and porsche. They gave me a F---ing hyundai as a loaner...I had to pay 10$ to drive a hyundai?????! Everyother Acura i've went to or i should say luxury dealerships, give you a vehicle of the same make at least. I just got the call from corporate about the survey. I gave em a 3, i'm kind of embarassed that they gave me a hyundai when I spent good money for a good car.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Instructor

I never got a concept of these luxury dealers giving cheaper cars as loaners.

My sister's BF took his M5 to BMW for service. They gave him a courtesy car Toyota Camry as they have an "agreement" with Toyota dealership..

What the F is up with that? don't they want to put their own customer in "their" own better car so they can consider it as future model??? when we take our ML to mercedes, they give us a C class as a loaner. We actually enjoyed driving it and my parents are considering it for their future... that makes much more sense.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:26 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Stealerships

This is kinda a repost from something i posted previously. But I think this gives the mentality some dealers take when it comes to these surveys. The messed up part is this was after they severly messed up multiple times, and they still expect a amazing recommendation??? Good news is I wrote and called Acura. Things have been much better including free loaners for most services. I still think its crap you have to "ask" for the wash and vacuum even though the sign says its specifically included.

I bought two brand new 07' Acuras there. My RDX/Tech, and my mothers 07' TL w/nav. We had remote start installed by the dealer for the TL. the remote start only cycled twice, unlock, start. We were told it would cycle three times and relock the doors as anyone would expect. We bought the car in Nov 06 and made this known in early December 06. I got the run around from the Sales Manager, so finally I was in for service (which i will get to in a minute why they cant be trusted) and spoke to the owner. He said "$1 or $80,000 your a customer and you need to be taken care of" I received a call from the sales manager two days later, and explained I understand stuff happens, suppliers whatever, but just keep me in the loop with a weekly phone call. Well a month later I had to call back again. Spoke to the same owner, and this time he had a much different tune. Because he saw in my customer survey I did not plan to use them again for servicing due to the many issues with them he says "well i thought you didnt plan on using us anymore" So I told him you still need to fix this, his reply was "well i checked you file and you already received a remote start." Responded with the issue, and he said well do you have anything in writing to this effect! I couldnt believe what he was saying. So I explained we have on the sales contract that we paid and received a remote start, and then said that in NY a verbal contract is binding, and numerous employees at your dealership acknowledged there was a problem, if I need to call a lawyer and handle it that way we can. He then changed his tune and long story short it is getting fixed this friday. Another note about their service dept. Three times we brought mine or my mothers car in for standard maint. We asked for the complimentary car wash and vacuum. First time they didnt put in any windshield washer fluid in the car, i knew this becuase it was still bone dry. Ok maybe an oversight. then they didnt do the wash or vacuum, after that same incident they only washed it. next they didnt do the wash or vacuum again, and took 3 hours of the car actually IN the garage too change the two mid range rear speakers
Old 10-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Advanced

I manage a business solely built on customer service. When a customer comes in with a question/problem I have a solution...not an answer...a solution. I hate being the guy that has to take it to a higher level than management to get something done, but when push comes to shove and I didn't feel that I should have been treated that way, I will do what's right for me as a consumer to make it right. I just don't understand why they can't live by what I live by in my business. My repeat clientelle is phenomenal. Granted i'm in the shoe business...but I sell high end shoes. I have customers that wear their shoes for 9 months and because they didn't like the color, I gladly replace it with another shoe. That's an everyday thing with what I do. Does my company take an initial hit on the product? yes. Is it right that the customer gets their way no matter what? no. But in order to keep a business functional and working smoothly without gripes from customers...you have to give that extra niche of customer service...thats what these guys forget.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:58 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

i hear ya, it seems that they lose the big picture, we pay their salaries!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Advanced

i just don't understand it. maybe its cause i'm young? i mean its not like i was dressed like a bum...more than likely my watch costs more than most of them make in a month. i've learned from the service biz, u cant judge a book by its cover. but apparently they do!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 PM
10th Gear

Angry Karen Radley---are you reading?---speak to your customers

TO OP(bballer) great job bringing this hot topic to the forefront. You have clearly hit a nerve with all of us.

Weerd, why dont you tell us what delaership your from. I am Sure the service and deals you describe would like to be tested by many of us.

Finally is anyone from Radley reading? Love to hear you respond. Karen Radley, what say you??????????
Old 10-09-2007, 10:22 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by flags
good idea
Old 10-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ACURascal
weeeerd

no sweat.. I don't think it's exactly Acurazine vs. weeeerd

But, I think people are finding it interesting that -- since you apparently work for a dealer -- you're so convinced that the "gimme a 5" or "gimme a 10" idea is a good thing. It just CAN'T be. The apparent evidence that your experience at a dealership has led you to accept -- without question -- that dealerships should get the highest mark for doing adequate work tells us a lot about the mindset.

If customers aren't free to rate based on their ACTUAL experience, then the rating system is doomed. It can't do what it's supposed to do. In fact, I'm going to ask Acura (in a letter, which I here -- formally -- invite all Acurazine members to do), to INSTRUCT their dealers NOT TO COMMUNICATE RATING INSTRUCTIONS TO CUSTOMERS AT THE RISK OF HAVING THEIR RATING REDUCED IF THEY DO.

Dealers can do a lot of creative things to push the EXCEED EXPECTATIONS ideal.

Examples:

1) Make a committment to meet or beat all time estimates. (Yesterday, I took my week-old 2008 Tech RDX into the dealership and was told it would take 2 hours. Four hours later (waiting in the dealership wait room), I had to go out to the service area to ask how much longer it would take to finish the work on my RDX.

2) Stop making customers feel like dealerships get nothing for their warranty business. Geesh. We all know that's not true.

3) Give a QUALITY wash job (streaks, lint, and half-@ssed work is common).

4) Provide loaners even if the work isn't overnight. (Some people have errands to run during the day. I did yesterday).

5) Send vehicles back with EVERYTHING set exactly the way it was when you received it. (I hate having to reset seats, mirrors, radio, a/c, etc., back to my settings after some tech. reset it all. Yesterday, I got my car back with one of the presets CHANGED to a radio station I would never listen to!)

6) Feed customers a REAL MEAL in a local restaurant if they are inconvenienced enough to have to wait through a meal.

7) use your imagination.
I'm glad this was brought up. Apparently, most Acura dealerships are NOT the same and work nowhere near conjunction with what we do.

1) We always give the option on anything that takes more then an hour, to provide a loaner vehicle. I mean, we don't have the best waiting room and frankyl, I would be quite bored sitting for more then an oil change and tire rotation.

2) We do make some money on warranty, however it is VERY low compared to what it should be. If it's legit, that's perfectly fine but don't bring your vehicle in claiming it to do one thing, go on a test drive, and not be able to duplicate it. It's not that we don't want to work on your car, it's that we lose our ass in trying to verify your complaint. best thing to do, if possible, figure out when/where (usually close to the dealership) that it makes the noise or acts up. You have just helped us out tremendously.

3) Our wash jobs are run through the wash and dried off. However, when you bring in a horribly messy car with stuff all over the inside and the outside looks like it hasn't been washed in ages (or isn't taken care of), we feel there is no need for a dry.

4) See #1. We always provide loaner cars when necessary, assuming we have them. We have 9 cars and they all go out every single day. Make it possible to schedule out a couple days at some dealers. They do tend to get busy.

5) When the car comes in.. it typically goes out the same way. The radio gets shut off, the mirror don't ever need to be adjusted, and we hope there is a seat memory programmed. Sometimes, we can't get in the car off a 4'8 old lady so we need to move the seat back.

6) We do not have food, besides pop-corn, and the occasional doughnuts but we offer juice, water, pop, coffee.. which is all free to the customer.

7) We try. It's not always easy, which is the reason I always ask for ideas.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acuraTHREE
Weerd, why dont you tell us what delaership your from. I am Sure the service and deals you describe would like to be tested by many of us.
Dave White Acura, in the HUUUUUGE metropolis area of Sylvania Ohio.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by black label
If don't know who the customer is, then you don't know the situation. The first thing I do when I get to work is check to see if I have had any surveys come back. Sometimes the customer has a problem that they mentioned on the survey that they haven't contacted me about, if that's the case, I call them first to get things straightened out.

I think this turned into Azine vs. Weeerd because he condoned the "hook me up with a good survey" approach.

When I explain the survey to my customers, I never ask for anything I didn't earn. If I didn't earn 5's, I don't expect them.
I'm not saying give me a good survey if you had a bad experience. That is the reason Acura does 2 survey opportunities. The phone survey and the e-mail survey. Obviously, you know well enough the e-mail is greatly reflected upon more then the phone survey so you have your chance to make whatever was not acceptable in the customer eyes, right.

I guess I'm just a little easier to please, or like I said before the things that happen at other dealers, do not happen at ours.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Advanced

You know on my seat problem with my car...the tech said right when i brought my car in that "he can see what i was talking about" because he was shifiting the seat front and back. When i got my car back and asked "so theres absolutely nothing you can do" he goes, "well we can replace the bracket, but i dont think its necessary" i then told him how my wife doesn't feel safe in the car because of it and...check this out..he shrugs his shoulders??!! who does that???
Old 10-09-2007, 10:48 PM
10th Gear

Dave White Acura, in the HUUUUUGE metropolis area of Sylvania Ohio.
thanks weerd too far to travel but if friends in ohio i will send them your way. are you close to columbus or cleveland? appreciate your info/ pls talk to you siter dealership in arlington
Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Meat Popsicle

Originally Posted by sho0z
i just don't understand it. maybe its cause i'm young? i mean its not like i was dressed like a bum...more than likely my watch costs more than most of them make in a month. i've learned from the service biz, u cant judge a book by its cover. but apparently they do!
They do not need to look at the cover. The know your credit rating.
;-)
Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Intermediate

In my experience, most dealer reps.. be it sales people, service people, or management, shy away from telling you about the survey and what it means to get a notch below perfect. They have explained they have worked towards making me comfortable in answering perfect but do not typically go into how it affects their pocket book either.

Also, the survey is almost ALWAYS "how WAS your experience....." not "how WILL it be" meaning once the time has passed you cant fix it, you get one shot for that particular incident. I got a call from a dealer in cerritos california asking how my service of my brakes were on a MDX, it was my wifes car and i did not know where she kept the wheel locks. I asked the service adviser to look in the center console while i look in the glove box to find them. He said they werent there and he couldnt do the brakes. I then asked him to remove the locks, i know there is a way. He said yes and said the charge was $35. He inspected the brakes and said they were just dirty, charged me $75 + the $35 and when i picked up my car and put the receipt in my center console I see the wheel lock sitting right there on top. Still in the plastic package it was purchased in back in 2003. So when i get the call for survey, what do you suppose should be my response? Not to mention the brakes were just done 30 days prior by a dealer up north in california. So now they keep calling me with reminders to visit them.

I would suggest to the OP, to call management at the dealership, maybe even gm and explain to them what happened with your "not welcome" and ask him if he really doesnt want your money the next time you have a service or sales need. Surely he will apologize and hold accountable whomever treated you that way. Afterall, he doesnt want his sales people and sales managers pushing you away and not having the chance to make some money off you in the future all because one guy didnt get a bonus. If that doesnt yield anything, call acura tell them you WERE in the market for a new acura but since thats the closest dealership to you, that you just dont feel right purchasing another vehicle made by acura, see if they can rustle a few feathers. Or better yet, the owner of the dealership, Im positive he would love to hear how someone is pushing you away because they didnt get some measly bonus.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Originally Posted by lilfeat
They do not need to look at the cover. The know your credit rating.
;-)
not if you pay cash!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by neo1738
not if you pay cash!
Some dealers around here want to pull a hard regardless of the way you are paying, to "confirm your identity", I don't go to those dealers, they have no right to pull your credit if you are not going through them for financing.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Instructor

I'm glad this was brought up. Apparently, most Acura dealerships are NOT the same and work nowhere near conjunction with what we do.

1) We always give the option on anything that takes more then an hour, to provide a loaner vehicle. I mean, we don't have the best waiting room and frankyl, I would be quite bored sitting for more then an oil change and tire rotation.
This is great dialog, and it's dialog I bet every customer wishes he/she could have with his/her dealer service manager. For me, the things you list are a good start, but -- at the risk of offending -- I'd like to point out how my examples mutated when you read them.

Giving the option for a loaner is a very important thing. But my example recommended that you meat or beat time estimates. Giving a loaner isn't the same thing as this. Knowing a reliable time that YOUR car will be BACK FROM THE DEAD is NOT THE SAME as having a loaner.

Your read of this item and the way you interpreted it is one of the problems with dealers. They think that customers should be satisfied if they do X. But X doesn't address the issue sometimes -- as in this case.

2) We do make some money on warranty, however it is VERY low compared to what it should be. If it's legit, that's perfectly fine but don't bring your vehicle in claiming it to do one thing, go on a test drive, and not be able to duplicate it. It's not that we don't want to work on your car, it's that we lose our ass in trying to verify your complaint. best thing to do, if possible, figure out when/where (usually close to the dealership) that it makes the noise or acts up. You have just helped us out tremendously.
From the customer's perspective, warranty repairs are repairs for which he or she has ALREADY PAID. Sometimes the most irritating things about a new car are those which are difficult to reproduce. If dealers ALREADY think they "lose their ass" when a customer brings in such a problem, then I can see why dealerships often appear hostile to these types of customer complaints. Customers should never feel that it's their responsiblity to do first run diagnosis of any problem for the dealership.

3) Our wash jobs are run through the wash and dried off. However, when you bring in a horribly messy car with stuff all over the inside and the outside looks like it hasn't been washed in ages (or isn't taken care of), we feel there is no need for a dry.
Go back and re-read that one. Forgetting how the inside of the car looks, if you commit to wetting down a customer's car (sometimes called a wash), then you should also dry it.

4) See #1. We always provide loaner cars when necessary, assuming we have them. We have 9 cars and they all go out every single day. Make it possible to schedule out a couple days at some dealers. They do tend to get busy.
Great. So, this is a big plus until that 10th customer comes in and now he or she doesn't get a loaner. Last visit he or she got one, so this time they're left feeling like they got dissed. Once a loaner--- always a loaner. Even if you have to have an agreement with a local car rental company for a day rate.

5) When the car comes in.. it typically goes out the same way. The radio gets shut off, the mirror don't ever need to be adjusted, and we hope there is a seat memory programmed. Sometimes, we can't get in the car off a 4'8 old lady so we need to move the seat back.
Does Acura have any corporate training or standards for dealerships? Why does there seem to be such variance in the way that techs return vehicles?

6) We do not have food, besides pop-corn, and the occasional doughnuts but we offer juice, water, pop, coffee.. which is all free to the customer.
Good start. Still, a proper meal in a local restaurant could be inexpensive, and a nice little token to make a customer feel special -- and to earn an exceptional rating.

7) We try. It's not always easy, which is the reason I always ask for ideas.
You're way ahead of some of your competition, then, I think. Thanks for the dialog weeeerd.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Obviously you guys are failing to realize anything I said in my post. Say you come in for an oil change.. what are WE as a dealer suppose to do besides give you a free oil change. We do our job, you don't have to come back, and you get a car wash and a vacuum. I'm not saying things couldn't be better on something major but alot of phone calls that Acura makes, really focus on the oil change portion of it. I do not work at Radley and am in no way affiliated with them.

Really, I want to know, can someone explain to me..
I think you're missing the main point here. The point is that if the customer is unhappy with the service and gives the dealer a bad rating, then the dealer retaliates by telling them to go elsewhere.

Personally, I will give the top rating if the dealer does everything they're supposed to in a courteous and professional manner. They don't have to "exceed" my expectations.

Just to clarify, are you siding with the dealer who refuses to service someone because of a bad rating (due to a bad service)?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
I'm setting myself up to be attacked here, but what the hell, why not.

Looking at both sides of the picture, the problem is in the way it is set up. As pointed out by some one, the employees bonuses are based on these surveys. You don't have to give them a one to get the point across. In Acura's eyes anything less than a 10 in service or a 5 in sales is unacceptable. That being the case, it souldn't be a multipoint scale, it should be pass fail.

When you give a one on a survey, there is no recovery from that, it kills their entire month in terms of income and that really is unfair. An 8 or 9 is enough to get the point across and still damages their ability to hit their bonuses but it doesn't kill them entirely.

Obviously I work for Acura, my CSI through todays date is 99.6% (that's pretty fucking good BTW). I don't beg customers for 5's on the survey, I tell them it is my expectation of myself to "earn" fives on the survey, if I haven't earned them that is OK, but I would like an explanation of what went wrong in their eyes so I prevent it from happening again.
Total agree with you on this. It's the way the manufacturer's (not just Acura) set this up and that's why I have no problem giving top ratings if they meet expectations!
Old 10-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Intermediate

So far so good

My wife purchased her TSX at Radley. Really good service for the past 3 years. Our new RDX hasn't been in yet but I will post the good AND the bad believe me. Great customer service is what it's all about.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I've been to over 5 Acura dealers in different provinces in Canada. My verdict applies to all 5: Acura needs to sharpen up at the dealers to be considered "luxury", walk in Lexus (any lexus) and see the service you are getting. If most Acura dealers can meet half of that it'll be a big improvement. Acura dealers are like misbehaving kids. They behave when they have Honda Canada on their asses, and the attitude returns to original once nobody's looking over them.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Black RDX in N. VA.

I think we need a balanced view from both sides:

1) The OP was correct to be outraged; there is NO excuse for turning away a customer based on a survey response, which after all is designed to IMPROVE your customer service. I run a service business; the only customer I would ever turn away is one who is unnecessarily rude, deliberately hurting my business, or suing me Acura should definitely hear about this, as should the Radley ownership.

2) As customers, let's be sensitive to the employees at the dealerships. While Acura should probably change their survey scoring, the fact is that 10 (or 5 - whatever the highest score is) typically indicates service that MEETS expectations [Acura is a LUXURY dealer - the EXPECTATION IS EXCELLENT service]. If your car is serviced right, delivered on time, and employees are helpful/cheerful - then give a 10 (or 5). Please don't hurt them because Acura didn't give you a free meal, a mug, a massage, or a free oil change! For crying out loud, are you so privileged that you need a special prize every time you go for professional service? I'm not saying to lie on surveys; but be fair. It's not Jiffy Lube: it does take a little more time to show care with your vehicle. And if you don't make an appointment [which by the way can be done with incredible ease by phone or online], do you expect the dealer to drop every other car in the shop and start on yours NOW?...come on....Finally, some of the service intervals include system checks WHICH REQUIRE DRIVING THE VEHICLE - are you sure that isn't why a few miles are added? Do you really think service dept. employees have time [since you're waiting so impatiently] to joy ride in your vehicle?

3) I've had very good service at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA as well as another dealer in Maryland. I've ALWAYS been offered a loaner, though I typically make an appointment for service [why not?!]. I hold them to high, luxury standards - but I also treat them with courtesy and respect....

4) If you get GREAT service, which EXCEEDS your expectations, have you ever sent a note or compliment to the dealership or Acura? For all of you who LOVE your service (or sales) rep - try it sometime. Nothing does more to enhance the life of a true service professional than a customer compliment or testimonial. Is this your duty?...NO...but why not treat other employees as you'd like to be treated?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:35 AM
10th Gear

Oh where Oh where is OP????

This is a great discussion and been very helpful but I am curious to know what the oucome for the OP is. Did you get your RDX serviced and if so where? Has Radley contacted you are they standing by their "your not welcome here" attitude. Update please
Old 10-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FitnessCC

... the fact is that 10 (or 5 - whatever the highest score is) typically indicates service that MEETS expectations [Acura is a LUXURY dealer - the EXPECTATION IS EXCELLENT service]. If your car is serviced right, delivered on time, and employees are helpful/cheerful - then give a 10 (or 5)
I politely AND EMPHATICALLY disagree. (And I'm surprised that anyone who claims to have a service business background would say anything similar to the statement, quoted, above.) Here's why:

When service industries first started to take notice of the ideals of Total Quality Management (this is going back nearly 25 years) one of the fundamentals of that entire train of thought was how to build into the quantification and appraisal process a means to propel quality ever higher (continuous improvement.)

These concepts expanded into various ISO (international standards organization) specficiations that determine how quality is quantified (measured), appraised or scored by consumers (that's us). Then, to keep improvement in services a continous process, that quantification and scoring must be ACTED UPON by managers.

The concept of continuous improvement is now well received in quality and service management circles and it RELIES UPON NO STATIC ENDPOINT OR STATUS QUO in order to motivate continuous improvement in the quality of goods and services.

A static endpoint or status quo exists when doing the same thing at the same level of quality every day yields appraisals that suggest that the thing that is being done is as good as it can possibly ever get.

This means that the IDEA behind scoring (appraising) is that what are acceptable levels of service today must be judged only AVERAGE and NOT EXCEPTIONAL if we are to continuously propel service levels to improve.

So, to earn our highest marks, service organizations have to beat their yesterday's best, or last year's best, or last month's best. And, for my money, doing everything that I expect is not the BEST experience possible. It's still JUST AVERAGE.

-ACURascal
Old 10-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

wow, and i thought i was anal!!! dude its not average by any sense of the word. You are being asked to give a rating on your past dealings NOT THE FUTURE, so you can get the future expectations, and all the dumbing down you did with the () out of your head. Honestly, if you are going to guess what is average or how things might be handled then you are not answering the survey properly. While I do agree you shouldnt be treated poorly cuz of a bad review, the last post was just way out there.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Instructor

1.) who said anything about rating the future? (maybe i needed to put in even more ()s for you).

2.) clear communications was my goal. I really can't take responsiblity if your insecurity gets stimulated by trying to be clear.

3.) where (and how) did the guessing you mention come into this exchange?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Incidentally, this is also Honda of America Manufacturing, Inc.'s commitment:

From the beginning, our focus has always been on our associates, efficiency, continuous improvement, teamwork and exceeding the expectations of our customers for quality and value.

found here:

http://ohio.honda.com/Company/mfg.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Intermediate

for 1. -- T
his means that the IDEA behind scoring (appraising) is that what are acceptable levels of service today must be judged only AVERAGE and NOT EXCEPTIONAL if we are to continuously propel service levels to improve.
with words like 'today' and 'propel service levels to.." suggests actions for the future, not the past.

for 2. -- no insecurity at all, just looking at you being silly and talking down to everyone as if you need to explain ever fucking line you say. Honestly, you look retarded.

for 3. -- The guessing was in response to your suggestion that somehow the rating should include ANYTHING other then the incident for which the survey was for. Example being
When service industries first started to take notice of the ideals of Total Quality Management (this is going back nearly 25 years) one of the fundamentals of that entire train of thought was how to build into the quantification and appraisal process a means to propel quality ever higher (continuous improvement.)
while that may be accurate history, it really has NO baring on when and what you give for a response to the survey. The survey's in my experience have never asked "taking in account what might occur if you give a bad response in this survey, how would you rate the service experience on the 2nd?" Its not a question of improved service, its about even considering that somehow properly executed service/sales should somehow be devalued just because its normal.

So before you continue your bs rant, your looking silly suggesting that theres is or should be anything more to the responses to survey then the particular incident, who cares what the management level or research company wants to propel. Also, if you continue with your jabs, it only makes you look more foolish as not one of your () was needed and suggested that the reader couldnt understand. So, take this and try to be clever or do the right thing and learn from it so that future readers dont have to be punished in reading it.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:59 AM
Instructor

So, again, who said anything about RATING the future?

And, how can you hope that I might take you seriously when you use words like "retarded?"

Finally, how rating systems are used to guide customer service levels has substantial bearing on this subject -- despite what you, apparently, think based on what you're struggling to say here.

As for your last paragraph, you seem intent on making what I've said say that rating as I suggest is about something chronologically other than the incident being rated. This is a contrivance of your reading skills or your imagination. I've neither written -- nor have I implied -- anything of the kind.

For what it's worth, if you would try to keep your responses articulate and commonly decent, it would make it easier for me to take them seriously, and to respond in kind. Otherwise, I'll probably stop treating your responses as though they're worth reading.

Thanks.

-ACURascal
Old 10-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

regardless, youve been informed of the 'future' implication you made, while wiggling out of it now could be as easy as editing your comments .... again.. maybe questioning to see the actual word 'future' being quoted is easier for you. But to reaffirm the point, your welcome to reread what you posted
So, to earn our highest marks, service organizations have to beat their yesterday's best,
which again suggest somehow that other then the incident itself, or future dealings should somehow be considered and valued at other then what they WERE. Thats the insinuation of FUTURE. Again being untrue. Sorry if your dumbing down with the () didnt make it to the writers comprehension.

Youve demonstrated that you can insult the reader as if it was necessary for clarity. But your other posts did not contain such comments for clarity. Again, for your efforts you still have made a misstep by suggesting that a rating should be based at all on anything but the incident at hand. THATS NOT THE SURVEY. As you try to cleverly insult us and me further, you can do it alone. At least I dont pussyfoot around with my retarded comment.

AGAIN AND FINALLY, one should not be treated poorly for a poorly review, that review should only contain experiences from that single incident for which the review is for. Anything else is reckless and a breakdown in the rating system itself.

Being closed minded about that fact has earned no further attention. Enjoy
Old 10-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Instructor

OK, so we see here that we can talk about the idea behind rating systems fueling continuous improvement, as Honda of America commits (see above), without doing "predictive" rating which seems to be what you repeatedly have tried to say that I'm saying. Since that's not what I'm saying and has never been, it's seems possible, if not apparent, that you're confusing the concept of TALKING about the past or future with the suggestion that's what we should be RATING.

We rate the experience. If it fails to meet our expectations, we should see it as lower than average. If it meets our expectations, it's likely an average effort. If it exceeds our expectations it's better than average (good?), and deserves a better rating than average. If it exceeds our expectations wildly it may even deserve a superior or best rating.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by ACURascal
We rate the experience. If it fails to meet our expectations, we should see it as lower than average. If it meets our expectations, it's likely an average effort. If it exceeds our expectations it's better than average (good?), and deserves a better rating than average. If it exceeds our expectations wildly it may even deserve a superior or best rating.
The problem here is by your rating method,to earn top marks, they have to step up their game everytime you bring your car back.

You go in for an appt, they tell you the car will be ready in an hour and it's ready in 45 minutes, they get a top mark right? Now what? The next time you go in you expect more, now it has to be 15 minutes early and what you get a free mug. What next, 20 minutes early and a steak dinner?

Under your rating system, by the time you are out of warranty, they are going to have to give you a free car to earn a top mark on the survey.

Top marks should be given if they do what they said they would do and do it in a timely fashion.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

exactly black label!! ty for chiming in to help displace the myth of the rating system having to improve. I knew i wasnt going nutts!

The SURVEY, is for the VISIT in question, nothing to do with previous to that visit, or future visits!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:09 PM
B A N N E D

I thought the goal of a luxury car maker as to provide Customer Service that exceeds expectations, not meeting them, if they want to be Tier 1, they will need to Exceed expectations, not meet them. Every time I call Merrick Bank, the reps are nice, and quick enough, they meet my expectations, but when I call Nordstrom, they exceed my expectations with peppy C/S reps that are out to have you grinning at the end of the call, not something you get with a regular CC company like Merrick Bank, Which is why I love my Nordies card and it is my most used CC, the hoot card stays in the sock drawer for the most part, just because I they don't make me want to use their card.

My point? If Acura wants to be on the Same level as Lexus, they need to exceed consumer expectations, not just meet them, and that is adaptive to each customers expectations, having your car out earlier than promised is exceeding expectations, giving out a free mug when you come in is exceeding what you have may expected from Acura, and thats what will keep people coming back to the brand and boosting the consumers overall outlook on the brand, Exceeding expectations, and for some, Just getting their car to them on time is all they need, but most consumers want more, not the same.

Quick Reply: You Are Not Welcome At Radley Acura In Arlington Va!