WOW! I got RDX as a loaner today!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
WOW! I got RDX as a loaner today!

I took my TSX in for a service and some routine work today, and to my surprise, they gave me a new (4900 miles only) RDX as a loaner! I was ecstatic to say the least!!! LOL!

Anyway, this was the first time that I had ever driven an RDX. To be honest, I lost interest of the RDX after it came out because of the changes in the body styling from the concept car, and that the gas mileage was a bit disappointing. However, today's experience totally changed my mind! :-)

First, what a nice car to drive! It was more like a sporty sedan than an SUV. Coming from the TSX, the handling was quite similar. The turbo lag did not bother me much. The ride was firm, but not harsh at all - in fact, sometimes I felt that my TSX felt even firmer!!! LOL! I don't agree with some people who said that the ride was too harsh. I think it was just right! I love the much better power and acceleration in the RDX than my TSX! Now, I just can imagine what the new 2009 TSX would be like with this sweet turbo engine... it would be even faster with less weight and better aerodynamics as a sedan! Can you imagine!?

Then the second thing that REALLY impressed me was the sound system! Very, very nice indeed. I wonder if the MDX audio is just as good, or even better?

The navigation system (yup, they gave me a loaner with the tech package!!!) was not as easy to use as the touch screen system in the TSX. However, after a short time, I got used to the joystick and then it was OK. The radio though, was a bit low in the console, making it a bit less easy to control when you are driving.

The size of the car was just right. I wished that the trunk was a bit larger though... but I guess the rear seats would fold down! Anyway, the MDX now seems too big for me.

Regarding the exterior styling, I am still not a huge fan - much rather have all that chrome trim etc. that the concept car had. I got a NBP today - though I usually love this color, I just don't think that it looks right on the RDX. It's strange to have the dramatic contrast between the chrome grille at the front and the black paint, and then there would be no chrome throughout the rest of the body, and the tinted glass makes everything just merge into a black blob. For a change, I actually prefer the lighter colors on the RDX.

Now, my TSX is 4 years old at the end of November... should I keep it, or get another vehicle? If I do, the RDX is certainly now back on my shopping list! Wait, I need to test drive the Infiniti EX too when it comes out.... :-)
Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 TSX - getting turbo engine, w/ also a possible COUPE version
and SH-AWD, w/ 240-260 HP

2009 RL - REDESIGN OF WHOLE BODY, w/ possible v-8 engine.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyjumpman23
2009 TSX - getting turbo engine, w/ also a possible COUPE version
and SH-AWD, w/ 240-260 HP

2009 RL - REDESIGN OF WHOLE BODY, w/ possible v-8 engine.
Wow, good news on the Acura front! Glad to hear it too, Infinity has been getting a good lead on them in terms of performance...

Ostrich, isn't it funny how the RDX sells you the moment you start driving it? I tested it out of curiosity, having my mind set on the Highlander, but it can really blow ya away.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:03 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
We are waiting for the 09 RL....cant wait for it! I was speaking with the manager of our dealership the other nite, as long as the "promised" back seat is big..the RL will be the ride. We would have gotten one already but for a 50 k car and a smaller than midsized back seat, just not worth it yet.

I was also talking with our friend who owns a body shop. His cars are an S-Class and an 06 RL. Any day he said hed take an RL...quite a statement with an S class in the garage as well. anyways.....in 2009, Acura is stepping its game up BIG TIME in every department
Old 11-01-2007, 12:02 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

the 09 RL is totally redesigned..
(like wuh they did the w/ the 08 accord..making it roomier...TL like..)
this new one..si going to be extended...
u figure, bigger engine..
and more roomier space..
OH wellz...they def. gona step it up..
Dont be surprised..if they might make a COUP outta the RL also.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:33 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,510 Likes on 1,178 Posts
I've heard the 09 TSX will be the same non-turbo 2.4L I-4 with about 220-230 HP increase and no sh-awd. Not until the Type-S version in 2010 or more likely 2011 we will see 2.3L Turbo and sh-awd for the TSX, just the rumors I’ve heard.

I'm waiting for the 2009 RDX to see if they have any mid model make over like they did for the TSX and TL. Drop the Hondata reflash on the RDX and you have one of the best Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) on the road. Only V-8 SUV/CUV/SAV can compare to a Hondata RDX for performance.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 84 Posts
Thanks for sharing your impressions, ostrich! It's funny, because I thought the TSX was a total disappointment until I had one as a loaner when my CL was in for service. After that I was a believer, and even got a coworker to buy one because it was such a perfect vehicle for her. The RDX (IMO) really is a niche vehicle, but for people who fit the niche it is just about perfect!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Black RDX in N. VA.

I was pretty happy with my TSX until I drove the RDX - now I have the RDX and couldn't be more in love with a vehicle! Granted my first motivation was a lack of cargo space in the TSX, but once I tried the RDX - and felt the greater power, the awesome handling/traction, the Tech pkg - the TSX seemed like a pretender. I had also liked the TSX, but never loved it...not quite enough power/acceleration to ever be exciting, although the handling is certainly impressive for a FWD sedan.

I'll admit the RDX's back end design needs work...too much like a bubble that doesn't go with the aggressive front end...but from the inside I'm a very happy camper.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 AM
big shot.

What I love most about Honda/Acura is their progression through their model line up. Unlike some other car companys....i feel that each model in Honda/Acura is different and unique. My gf did the same thing, has a CL (loved it), drove a TSX (loved it and bought it). When she drove my car, she was like WOW, this is fast. The TL is everything more youd want in the TSX, and the MDX is everything more youd want from the RDX....the fact that Acura does this without price overlapping their models is commendable. You cant say the same about BMW/Merc, and Infiniti, where say for instance a 3 series can move quite nicely into 5 series pricing, etc.

im digressing...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Drifting

You know, since I returned my RDX last week and got my TSX back, I am really missing it...

I missed the power and the handling.

However, a couple of things that my TSX definitely does better is the navi screen, which is much brighter and has much more vibrant colors, and of course the gas mileage! :-)

I like the MDX too, but it does look too big for me...

Now, I am thoroughly confused - should I keep my TSX for a couple more years, or go ahead and get myself and RDX? Or perhaps I should also wait for the EX35? Or even the Q5???

Too many great choices these days!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:44 PM
07 MDX Base

Originally Posted by ostrich
Now, I am thoroughly confused - should I keep my TSX for a couple more years, or go ahead and get myself and RDX? Or perhaps I should also wait for the EX35? Or even the Q5???Too many great choices these days!
I would say wait. Check out the EX35 and the Q5, then decide. My
Old 11-08-2007, 04:27 PM
mrgold35

I was narrowing down my choices of adding a garage mate to the TSX of either a MDX or RDX. I just can't see what I can do with the MDX that I can't do with the RDX for $4,000- $15,000 cheaper (depending on the models).

http://www.vtec.net/modelmatrix/

I don't know how accurate this model matrix is for Honda/Acura vehicles from TOV. Sounds like a mid-model year make over for 2009/2010 RDX and maybe a Type-S version for the RDX (A-spec suspension?, MDX adjustable suspension?, 6MT and/or DSG tranny?, more turbo power?, different colors inside & out?, more aggressive styling?)

I have time to wait for the 2009/2010 RDX if a Type-S version is planned.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
B A N N E D

Other sources said that a RDX Type-S is highly unlikely, and if they drop it even more, or stiffen it more, nearly no one would buy it, especially if it went up higher in the price range.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I don't know how accurate this model matrix is for Honda/Acura vehicles from TOV. Sounds like a mid-model year make over for 2009/2010 RDX and maybe a Type-S version for the RDX (A-spec suspension?, MDX adjustable suspension?, 6MT and/or DSG tranny?, more turbo power?, different colors inside & out?, more aggressive styling?)

As much as I would like the MRF suspension in every Acura, I doubt it will show up any time soon in the RDX. The fluids are too expensive and apparently not in great supply. Dealers are very limited in what they can order for Sport packages in the MDX right now.

The RL on the other hand with the option of a V8 and the MRF suspension, that would kick some 5 series ass (all 5 series' except the M5).
Old 11-08-2007, 06:20 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by black label
The RL on the other hand with the option of a V8 and the MRF suspension, that would kick some 5 series ass (all 5 series' except the M5).
??? I'm sorry, where did you get that from? Because of SH-AWD??
I don't think so, this fancy sounding AWD system doesn't do miracles.
The day the 5, we will say 45 gets knocked off its perch by an RL will be the day BMW stops making the 5 series.
The RL in its current form gets smacked up on the track by an A6.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 AM
big shot.

I was narrowing down my choices of adding a garage mate to the TSX of either a MDX or RDX. I just can't see what I can do with the MDX that I can't do with the RDX for $4,000- $15,000 cheaper (depending on the models).

unless space is an issue, id go RDX and see what comes up for an '09...my guess would be something pretty decent
Old 11-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Not an Ashtray

I'd go for an MDX over an RDX under most circumstances. For a few thousand more, you get a larger vehicle with a high torque V6. Unfortunately, those "most circumstances" do not include my own. The MDX is simply too big for me. I live in a very high traffic, densly populated city, with narrow parking spots, a garage inside a townhouse complex that is hard to reach, and streets that aren't wide enough for more than one car at a time. On some levels, the MDX is a better buy. But, I couldn't live with a car that is is nearly a foot wider than my TSX.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
if a type-s rdx comes out, i am so all over that!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darth62
I'd go for an MDX over an RDX under most circumstances. For a few thousand more, you get a larger vehicle with a high torque V6. Unfortunately, those "most circumstances" do not include my own. The MDX is simply too big for me. I live in a very high traffic, densly populated city, with narrow parking spots, a garage inside a townhouse complex that is hard to reach, and streets that aren't wide enough for more than one car at a time. On some levels, the MDX is a better buy. But, I couldn't live with a car that is is nearly a foot wider than my TSX.
I have no interest in the MDX either.
Heavy and sluggish on narrow winding mountain roads.
Hard to drive on congested city roads.
Hard to park in small parking spaces.

Sure, the extra room does allow you to carry more people or cargo than with the RDX, but I do not need that much space.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:12 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by MMike1981
unless space is an issue, id go RDX and see what comes up for an '09...my guess would be something pretty decent
The only space issue I might have with the RDX is being 6'3" and 315lbs with size 14 shoes. This hasn't been an issue with my TSX 5AT around town and on long drives to Denver, Phoenix and Tucson from Albuquerque.

I know the RDX will be perfect around town, just not sure how comfortable it will be for those long trips. Might have to move up to a MDX for that reason;but, I just like the styling and size of the RDX over the MDX.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:18 PM
big shot.

yea....u may need that extra room...i find the cabin to be just find, the only thing that aggrevates me is the low door handle, takes away from your left leg knee room. but who knows, the district manager that drove my RDX was around 400 lbs, 6,2' and he actually owns an rdx, judging by the looks of him in the front seat, id say he would have needed a Minivan but if it works for him u prob will be good!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:34 PM
07 MDX Base

The only space issue I might have with the RDX is being 6'3" and 315lbs with size 14 shoes. This hasn't been an issue with my TSX 5AT around town and on long drives to Denver, Phoenix and Tucson from Albuquerque.

I know the RDX will be perfect around town, just not sure how comfortable it will be for those long trips. Might have to move up to a MDX for that reason;but, I just like the styling and size of the RDX over the MDX.
I would say, test drive the RDX and MDX to see which is more comfortable.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:41 PM
mrgold35

Anyone with an RDX living in Albuquerque want to trade for one week an 06 5AT TSX w/ Navi for an extended test drive?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The RDX is almost a perfect all around vehicle. Good size, good power (not enough for me, but more than the competition), AWD, lots of features not available in the competition Bluetooth, HID's, memory seat etc. and they still maintain a decent handling. Price is decent and actually cheaper than optioning out cars like a Murano or Edge.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Drifting

It's just as comfortable as the TSX

mrgold, I have a TSX too and I have found the RDX to be just as comfortable - all those criticisms about its ride being too harsh was in my opinion, completely over-exaggerated. If you don't find the ride of the TSX too harsh, then the RDX is just fine. For those who prefer a Toyota/Buick sort of ride, then they would have a problem with both the TSX and RDX.

I found that the RDX had more headroom than the TSX too.

The only thing is, perhaps because it is a much taller car with a rather higher center of gravity, it felt a bit less grounded than the TSX.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Black RDX in N. VA.

I agree about the spaciousness of the RDX - very comfortable inside, with a smooth ride (assuming you like Acura's firm ride). Having come from TSX to RDX, I actually feel more "grounded" in the RDX. Although it obviously has a higher center of gravity, I think the SH-AWD (and maybe more weight in the rear end?)produces a sense of confidence and grip that the TSX didn't have...I always felt like the TSX's rear wheels could break free any moment in hard turns -- whereas the RDX always feels "glued to the road."...just my opinion.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:20 PM
mrgold35

Thank you all for the input about the RDX! I like the firm ride of the TSX and I ordered the A-spec suspension and a progress RSB to improve the ride just a little bit more for my (the wife's) TSX. I know I will love the ride of the RDX also.

I'm going to wait for the mid model change in 2009 or 2010 to see what updates are instore for the RDX. If no significant changes, I will go for 2008 model late next year. I have to fight with the wife on who gets which car.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FitnessCC
I agree about the spaciousness of the RDX - very comfortable inside, with a smooth ride (assuming you like Acura's firm ride). Having come from TSX to RDX, I actually feel more "grounded" in the RDX. Although it obviously has a higher center of gravity, I think the SH-AWD (and maybe more weight in the rear end?)produces a sense of confidence and grip that the TSX didn't have...I always felt like the TSX's rear wheels could break free any moment in hard turns -- whereas the RDX always feels "glued to the road."...just my opinion.
I feel completely opposite. I would throw my TSX anywhere and not worry. Even with SH-AWD I will not do the same. My TSX with just a RSB handles very well.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
I have no interest in the MDX either.
Heavy and sluggish on narrow winding mountain roads.
Hard to drive on congested city roads.
Hard to park in small parking spaces.

Sure, the extra room does allow you to carry more people or cargo than with the RDX, but I do not need that much space.
Johnny99:
Have you test drove the new MDX to back up your opinion? I have both an 07 MDX "Sport/Entertainment" and a 07 RDX Tech. Heavy and sluggish on winding roads? I think NOT ! Easy to drive, infact its a pleasure to drive and parking is a breeze exp with the back up camera. I'm single and love all 7 seats. Oh I also own an 04 RL......test drive these vehicles before making false statements....
Ole timers out......
Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 PM
07 MDX Base

MrGold, in regards to your height, I found this consumer response for the RDX on KBB.com

"This car really blew away all expectations. I am 6'5" and over 300 lbs and fit comfortably in the RDX - The passenger seat is a little tight as the dash comes back toward you on the left side. Two stage turbo is incredible and shows little to no lag. SHAWD is incredible, those who don't drive it hard enough, will probably never feel it but you can actually select to "see" it working with the tech package and info center. We got the Tech package and find it WELL worth the money and highly reccomend it. Was surprised to see that nobody mentioned one of the 'coolest' features when I read through other reviews - the Paddle shifters are awesome! Again, you need to be driving aggro to really feel the benifits of this and the SHAWD but it handles with the best of the luxury sport coupes we have owned."
http://www.kbb.com/kbb/NewCars/Consu...00&ModelId=947
Old 11-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Advanced

I am 6'5" (185 lbs) and the RDX fits me like a glove. Hours in the seat with no fatigue or pains.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:52 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

I'm 6'1 220, size 13/14 shoe...
i fit fine..actally great..
u'll have no problem
Old 11-16-2007, 03:15 PM
mrgold35

I know for most of us that are +6 feet tall, we get use to stuffing ourselves in most cars/truck/SUVs. It is good to hear I can make the car fit me instead of me fitting to the car.

I might have to take a test drive of a RDX w/ Tech to get a feel for the CUV.