Would you do the A service at a Honda dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you do the A service at a Honda dealer?

Since I'm due for my first A service, I called my local Acura and Honda dealers and Honda was about $15 less.

Both said that either could do the service as the oil filter is not unique for the RDX.

But I forgot to ask if it gets captured into a Honda/Acura database, are they one in the same?

Bigger question is..... is there anything else I should worry about??

And yes, a local mechanic or myself would be less, but I plan to stick with a dealer for now.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
its an oil change, anyone should be able to do it. i would be more concerned what oil they are giving you and make sure thats wut they are putting in it. its the only Honda motor that calls for synthetic.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by ozwaldo
Since I'm due for my first A service, I called my local Acura and Honda dealers and Honda was about $15 less.

Both said that either could do the service as the oil filter is not unique for the RDX.

But I forgot to ask if it gets captured into a Honda/Acura database, are they one in the same?

Bigger question is..... is there anything else I should worry about??

And yes, a local mechanic or myself would be less, but I plan to stick with a dealer for now.
just curious why this decision?
Old 04-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DNPhotography
just curious why this decision?
I'm a long time Honda owner, and believe that I get better warranty service at the dealer when they can see that I've been a regular customer and there are no doubts that the required service has been done. I don't have any solid evidence, as I haven't been a "DIY" or have a local mechanic to prove otherwise. It's just my perception that if they can see in their database that I've been loyal, they give me the benefit of the doubt if anything comes up down the road.

With that said..... I reckon that I could be dead wrong, it's just my two cents as a customer and not a dealer insider.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by ozwaldo
I'm a long time Honda owner, and believe that I get better warranty service at the dealer when they can see that I've been a regular customer and there are no doubts that the required service has been done. I don't have any solid evidence, as I haven't been a "DIY" or have a local mechanic to prove otherwise. It's just my perception that if they can see in their database that I've been loyal, they give me the benefit of the doubt if anything comes up down the road.

With that said..... I reckon that I could be dead wrong, it's just my two cents as a customer and not a dealer insider.
i feel exactly the way you do.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Most importantly make sure the Honda dealership is using Mobil 1 as this isn't a normal procedure at a honda dealership, but they probably have it.

But for that matter, you may as well have your service done at an independant shop. For the reason you gave for using the dealer, it wouldn't help your future warranty claims any to use the Honda dealership to change your oil since each service shop is run independant to each dealership. As far as your Acura dealership is concerned, you took your service dollars somewhere other than their facility whether it was at a Honda dealership or a Jiffy Lube.

For the reason you gave, just stick with your Acura dealership and pay the extra $15.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Instructor

I have had my MDX serviced at my local Honda dealer for significantly
less than my Acura dealer w/o any problems.Have not had service yet
on my RDX.Like Sasair stated make sure it is Mobil 1 being used.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:09 AM
Instructor

I agree with others that I go to the acura dealer for my oil changes. This way when something goes wrong and it is out of warranty they can push to get it covered or partially covered because you have built a relationship with the service writers/manager. If you only go to the dealer for warranty work they will not be as inclined to help you in those situations.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I just got my B service done at the local Honda dealer, as they are a no appointment needed shop. The local Acura dealer was going to make me wait a week.