What is this sound !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 10:49 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this sound !!

Hello, new member here ! I have had my 2010 RDX for a while now and just starting to see a few things happening. The major issue is this awful sound when you start the vehicle. I have attached a video for reference.

I have been scrolling through past posts for a while and thought it was the air circulation box thing, but this is more of a screeching sound coming from behind the CD player / Navigation screen area. I never use the CD player, only FM, so nothing was recently messed with ion regards to that part. The navigation screen works normally, no issues. I am at a loss, so any input would be great !

https://streamable.com/wacbc0
Old 01-30-2024, 07:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 206 Posts
1. Does it do this constantly, or only when starting the car (and/or turning it off)? If so, once it stops, try playing around with the air routing (cold to hot, feet to face, defroster, etc). I've had a similar sound in a different car, and it ended up being the motor that controlled the air flow between floor and face.

2. If definitely not the above, are you certain there is no CD in there that the system is trying to read, even if you never use it yourself? Hell, maybe even left by a previous owner?
Old 01-31-2024, 08:28 AM
4th Gear

Thank you for your reply ! The sound only comes on , 20seconds aprpx, when you start the car up. I can play aroudn teh with air routing, but what would I specifically be looking for ? To my knowledge , everything was working fine, but I can look closer next time. My thought was that every sound clip I heard of the air motor failure, did not sound like my issue. All the boxes tick off the same, excpet the sound. This is such a high pitch screech that I assumed it was something else.

Now, there COULD be a CD in there. I have never tried using it, but thats an easy check so I will see. Lets just say it is fact a CD issue. If I have never used the CD player, why would this start now, and what do you think may be the issue making it do this. When I start the car, it is alway son FM radio, so it is not like I adjust the input to CD and only then does it make the noise.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:38 PM
4th Gear

OK i got more information out of my wife now.

It is definitely the CD player. She never told me there was a CD stuck in there from years ago. She never used it so she forgot , but there was one in there. At first the noise only came on when starting the car, every time and and no matter whether it was on FM , CD, Sirus, etc. The noise comes on. Now, the noise can also come on again, if you change from FM to CD. So this kind of reassures me that it is the CD player.

Now, what do I do ? I have tried a few tricks, but this is a 6 disc changer, so I don't think this will be easy to remove a stuck CD from. IO have gone to Crutchfield trying to just replace the dash, but it says that this is a custom stereo or something and no stereo will replace it ? I find that odd, is that true ? I am not paying OEM pricing and buying another factory stereo to replace a 14 year old car.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 206 Posts
Are you able to move the changer to a different disc so it doesn't keep trying to play with the stuck CD? At this point neither of you use the player, right? Just trying to stop the noise? Baring that, if you know the stuck CD is in the active slot, maybe you can tweezers or something to assist in pulling it out?
Old 02-05-2024, 12:02 PM
4th Gear

I have tried changing discs but nothing changes. It just says Error now, I think I played with it too much ! Neither of us use the player, so yea we just want the noise to stop. I will try tweezers. My wife tried a few things but had no luck. I'll give it a try too.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by rdx1-0
I have tried changing discs but nothing changes. It just says Error now, I think I played with it too much ! Neither of us use the player, so yea we just want the noise to stop. I will try tweezers. My wife tried a few things but had no luck. I'll give it a try too.
It's a multiple disk player so you probably won't be able to grab the disk with tweezers.