What did you have to "give up"/"get rid of" to get the RDX? Previous car discussion.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did you have to "give up"/"get rid of" to get the RDX? Previous car discussion.

Hello all! Proud and happy owner of new RDX.
Just curious to see what you've traded in to get the RDX.
I had to give up my G35 Coupe for the RDX. My G was a beautiful and fun car to drive but was not practical. Wife was not happy to see the G take up garage space during winter. I was very sad to let her go.... G35 that is.. :P

Only time will tell if RDX will be a worthy replacement for the G, but so far I'm happy with the RDX.

What did you trade in to get your RDX? Any story behind your previous car?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Instructor

2000 CRV. Faithful workhorse and was my third Honda. It was simply time to let her go and move on up in the automotive world to something more contemporary. Given the choice of maintaining the CRV for another couple of years or getting a nice car like the RDX now, it was a relatively easy choice.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Instructor

My mom dumped her '87 Volvo 740. Finally has a car that is not a pain to drive (literally, the lumbar support in those seats deteriorates to nothing over time). Total opposite ends of the spectrum as far as fun-to-drive factor. Both very safe though (probably one of her top criteria even though she bought the RDX before the crash test results came out).

The other car she was considering was the Mercedes B200 Turbo, but with similar options on the B200 the price goes up to more than an RDX, for a smaller, less powerful car with non-Honda reliability (although its still very nice).
Old 01-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Advanced

Happily parted with a Mazda Protege5.

It wasn't a bad car, but I desperately needed something with more power. Also, I am a big fan of AWD systems so I'm really happy to get back into a car that has one.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skeandhu
Happily parted with a Mazda Protege5.

It wasn't a bad car, but I desperately needed something with more power. Also, I am a big fan of AWD systems so I'm really happy to get back into a car that has one.
92 chevy cavalier. MAJOR PoS.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:26 PM
4th Gear

'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 - nice car and it got the same mileage as my RDX
Old 01-24-2007, 07:09 PM
boostin'

2005 RSX Type-S, an awesome car, it just wasn't practical anymore.
The RDX is a great compromise though! It has the space and everything needed, and it's just as fast as the RSX Type-S was!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Instructor

I had to give up 9 year old passat without air and a tape deck that ate tapes. Kept it though as a present to my spouse. Wasn't that thoughtful?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmm...let's see. I didn't trade in anything, but I did get rid of a couple.

1. I dropped my '91 Plymouth Laser off at the dump. That was a sad story. That car was amazing. Had a bad gas tank/line, and the body was falling apart, but the engine drove like it was brand new at 170K miles. Always started on the first crank, even for the drive to the dump. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone that wanted it...

2. I gave my 2001 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCrew XLT to an extended family member. What a truck...I loved it, but the gas was killing me.

Well at least I have room in the garage now for my shiny new RDX....

Mike
Old 01-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
traded my 2002 jeep grand cherokee overland. that was my 4th jeep. i will never go back! acura has won my heart & business for many years to come!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The dealer took my 04 TL off my hands with five payments left on the lease. I got an NBP RDX and I'm not looking back. I thought I'd really miss the bluetooth, but so far I don't. I'm trying to be good and not beat on the engine until after 600 miles, so I don't know if I miss the power of the TL yet or not.

Joe
Old 01-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Hey! I sold a G35 Coupe as well. 6MT. It was a great car but I also needed something practical. I was sad at first but Im glad I made the switch. Its like the RDX was designed for me personally! Heres the G:
Old 01-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
G35 coupe, nice ride, fellas! I have been eyeing those for a few years now. I didn't "give up" per se: sold my '03 Element ("in and out" trade saved me some cash on sales tax and gave me more $ for the E) which was a great ride -- except for the bumpy ride! I was starting to see them everywhere and that bummed me out. What I gave up for the E, however, was a subject of some regret: my '93 Stealth, aka The Batmobile. I miss that one, still! Drove it for 10 years.

My RDX will make up for it, though! Ha.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

2 vehicles:

2002 BMW 330Ci:

2006 Ford Ranger STX:

Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Advanced

For me it was the original Honda SUV, the ever so practical 1997 CR-V, never ever had a problem (other than a new radiator the week before I traded it in :angryfire ), but it was time to move up. I do miss it some, but it the RDX is SO MUCH MORE, 1000 miles and lovin it!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Racer

I am surprised that so many people switched from the G to the RDX.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Intermediate

Keeping it within the family...

I parted ways with a 2003 Honda Accord for the RDX. I've owned Hondas since high school; 4th Honda since then. My first Civic ran 460,000 km until someone crashed into it.

I was in the market for a new car late last year hoping that Honda would release their next generation Accord, but it was not in the cards. The RDX is my first SUV/CUV/light truck - still getting used to the dynamics, but very satisfied with it.

Cheers
Old 01-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I still can't believe I all but abandoned my 2000 S4 on the dealer's lot without so much as a goodbye kiss...

It was a great car - drove like a sports car, accelerated like a jet, but still sat 4 1/2 adults with 4 doors and a trunk. When it was running great I wouldn't have had more fun in anything else on the road. It was getting old though - it had 140K miles on it and service was expensive (I paid double the street value of the car in maintenance alone over the last 18 months). It was running fine for that age, but a lot of little things were starting to get annoying "quirks"

Now very happy with my RDX Tech. It cannot compete with the S4 in terms of driving, but is fun in its own way and much more practical on a day to day basis. Hopefully it will be more reliable in the long run and have much better resale value. And I do love all the gadgets... :wink:
Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

1st-I Had a Nissan Maxima 1998.I sold it to get my Honda Odessey.My Gf Wasnt happy to drive a Manual Transmission.
2nd-I Had An Honda Odeyssey.We Had it for 6months and then my Gf said that she seems to be old in it.
3rd-We Sold The Maxima And The Odeyssey For A Mercedes-Benz ML500.The Car Is Great.great technology,comfort but my daughter dosnt like it cuz the leather smells bad for him.
4th-I Kept my M-B But I Leased The RDX cuz it looks like a fun car,I like the Rdx Cuz It has a good security Rank,Turbo Engine in 4cylinder etc..everything that Rdx Owner Likes.
that;s all
Old 01-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 Integra GS-R that I owned since 11 miles. It was an amazing car that drove like a go cart yet could swallow a coffee table with the seats down. And when I sold it, it held a lot of value. I didn't want to get rid of it, but some little things were starting to go and I really wanted some tech in my car. I basically missed the entire CD era. If I had room to keep it, I would. I'll miss it for a while.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Tech RDX

2006 Honda Civic Si

Ordered it in February, rcvd it in March -- trying to recapture my CRX si days. It was sweet w/ 18" wheels, but RDX is more practical and still fun to drive.

A ~$3,500 lesson on living in the present.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brad G
Hey! I sold a G35 Coupe as well. 6MT. It was a great car but I also needed something practical. I was sad at first but Im glad I made the switch. Its like the RDX was designed for me personally! Heres the G:
Since I've only driven the RDX twice now (Three including the test drive), I need to get comfortable with the RDX. I do miss the G, but I am reminding myself thay I got rid of it in good time before the new coupe is out. If I miss it enough, I will sell my integra and upgrade to the new G.

Originally Posted by Pacer
What I gave up for the E, however, was a subject of some regret: my '93 Stealth, aka The Batmobile. I miss that one, still! Drove it for 10 years.
My RDX will make up for it, though! Ha.
Man.. 93 Stealth, was it the R/T with AWD? I've always love that car.

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
2 vehicles:
2002 BMW 330Ci:
2006 Ford Ranger STX:
Gave up some nice rides for the RDX. Do you think the RDX will fill the gap for both cars?

Originally Posted by flar
I still can't believe I all but abandoned my 2000 S4 on the dealer's lot without so much as a goodbye kiss...
I was looking at a used S4 few years back. What turned me away was that fact that it was V6 Twin Turbo. I heard that if anything when south on those turbo's, it costed an arm and a leg to fix. It still was a very nice ride though.

Originally Posted by creativeguy
1996 Integra GS-R that I owned since 11 miles. It was an amazing car that drove like a go cart yet could swallow a coffee table with the seats down. And when I sold it, it held a lot of value. I didn't want to get rid of it, but some little things were starting to go and I really wanted some tech in my car. I basically missed the entire CD era. If I had room to keep it, I would. I'll miss it for a while.
For me it ultimately came down to selling between my boosted teg and the G. G lost the battle, cuz my teg was just too hard to let go.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:35 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buri73
I was looking at a used S4 few years back. What turned me away was that fact that it was V6 Twin Turbo. I heard that if anything when south on those turbo's, it costed an arm and a leg to fix. It still was a very nice ride though
That's likely why I got so little money for it in the end (that and the 140K miles). But, mine was impeccably maintained and never chipped and the turbos never even gave a hint of trouble. It was things like the center display which lasts only about 25K miles seemingly by design before the rows and columns of pixels start flaking out as the glue on the ribbon cable dries up, and all of the suspension parts have to be replaced periodically due to wear and tear (very complex multi-link setup with lots of CV joints working very hard).

But, going up the grapevine or up 80 to Tahoe on a steep grade and only having to nudge the gas in 6th gear to start passing the other cars without even blinking while they were all struggling to maintain speed by downshifting - priceless... ;-)

It's odd, the RDX certainly seems to want to jump out of the gate - it reacts very quickly to the gas, but when it comes time to deliver at speed on the highway it has to take a deep breath and grunt really hard. The S4 was only 250 pounds lighter and only had about 15 horsepower on it, but the torque curve was such that it never had to think about accelerating no matter what speed or gear or incline.

OK, now, don't get me started. I'm loving the RDX... I'm loving the RDX... (Don't sleep, clown will eat me...)
Old 01-25-2007, 04:37 AM
6th Gear

traded a 2002 bmw m3 for the rdx tech. great car and still occasionally miss it but it was out of warranty. i did own a 2000 s4 for a couple years but had turbo problems. speaking of turbo problems has anyone noticed their rdx turbo making a low pitch whistle rather than high pitch especially when cold ? my s4 made the same kind of noise and was indicative of an imbalance like from a bent or broken impeller blade.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
My G/F traded her 98 Accord EX 5 Spd with 120k miles....great car that served her well.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:54 AM
Instructor

I traded in my 2001 MDX(loved the car but wanted something a little smaller and more fun to drive)
Old 01-25-2007, 06:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by buri73
Hello all! Proud and happy owner of new RDX.
Just curious to see what you've traded in to get the RDX.
I had to give up my G35 Coupe for the RDX. My G was a beautiful and fun car to drive but was not practical. Wife was not happy to see the G take up garage space during winter. I was very sad to let her go.... G35 that is.. :P

Only time will tell if RDX will be a worthy replacement for the G, but so far I'm happy with the RDX.

What did you trade in to get your RDX? Any story behind your previous car?
I traded a 2002 Ford Escape. It was a good little SUV for the first 40k miles, but the transmission died after 42k and it was all downhill from there. I am so glad i traded it for the RDX...
Old 01-25-2007, 06:55 AM
Cruisin'

Traded in a '99 RAV4

I miss it once in a while... quite frumpy but reliable... but certainly not when I'm driving the RDX, which is superior in every conceivable way.

I didn't get rid of the Porsche, though .
Old 01-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Instructor

Picked up a 2005 RL a year ago for cash, and am waiting on taking delivery of my 07 RDX. People think I'm crazy to dump a brand new RL for the RDX, but I really feel like a 50 yo man driving the RL (I'll have to feel that way when I'm 50).

My only complaint about the RDX is that there is no 6cyl motor option, the brakes are a little underpowered for this car, and the lack of memory and a power passenger seat. If the 08 model comes with these options I may trade up. I just drove another RDX yesterday while I'm waiting for mine to come in, and I find that this car out-handles the RL. It's more nimble and responsive then the RL, and once the turbo has spooled it really does go. However, from a dead stop it is considerably slower then the RL. With the RL I lauch by bringing the RPMs up with my left foot on the brake, and then taking my foot off the brake and mashing the gas -- the RL takes off like a shot! Repeating the proceedure in the RDX has ho-hum results. I don't see me smoking any surprised Mustangs in the RDX because of an incredible launch.

-N
Old 01-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Advanced

I semi-retired my 1997 RL. Not permanently mind you. When I feel like revving things up a bit I take the RDX for ultimate fun. When I want the "Old Guy" pillowy ride, I take the RL.

Rusty
Old 01-25-2007, 08:35 AM
07 RDX Tech - Blue/Ebony

almost got rid of the STi. they were actually going to give me a decent price for it...but i just couldnt do it. i put way too much time, effort and money into it to let go of it just yet. plus, the RSX-S doesnt handle the snow very well at all...and its my wifes car, so i dont want her to get stuck again...so when it snows, i take the STi and she takes the RDX.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:37 AM
4th Gear

Talking

Traded in a 2004 fully loaded Mountainer with 36K on her. Besides it being in the dealers over 10 times for electrical gremlins in the dash/electronics, it wasnt too bad. Great in the snow, but I will never buy another Ford (any big 3 actually again, and my bro works for Ford, but drivers an Accord), especially after they still couldnt fix the electrical problems.

Now we have a 06 Ody and the RDX.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Cruisin'

I gave up a 2003 BMW SMG M3.

Lightning fast, fun to drive, but as a commuter car started to feel cramped in it.
(I am 6 foot, 2 inches).

The RDX is more practical, still fun to drive, and isn't in the shop nearly as much.

R
Old 01-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Intermediate

Traded in an 03 VW Jetta - best decision ever. Never have I had so many car troubles as I did with that Jetta. Still loving my RDX - I can definitely say that after my 98 Integra and the RDX, Acura has my business. I'm never going back to VW!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Within 3 months, I sold an 04 Expedition and an 06 Camry and bought the RDX and an RSX-S.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Instructor

1995 Honda Prelude SI

I traded in my '95 Honda Prelude with a little over 140K miles. I loved that car I bought it used in '97 and it was great. I'd probably still be driving it if my husband hadn't started in about how it would soon be due for some costly maintenance/repairs. It did start giving me a little trouble in the last year. The oil light and check engine light would come on sporadically, but the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with it. Plus my husband has a TL and we wanted something with a little more utility. I love the RDX, but I still get the occasionally pang for the Prelude - especially when I'm parking :wink:
Old 01-25-2007, 12:04 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Sold an 05 Outback XT to CarMax (my 3rd Outback and 5th Subaru).

Took me 2+ months to really decide if I wanted to sell that car, as it was great and was like a faithful old dog to the family. Fast, powerful, unstoppable in snow, good off-road capability, and great utility. I finally fell for the ride and handling of the RDX, and more comfortable interior. The looks of the RDX, inside and out, were also appealing to me. I have given up a good amount of utility with the RDX however, and still think the Outback is far better in that category.

It's funny, as much as I had a hard time parting with the OB XT, I am equally thrilled with the RDX. I dare say the RDX has become the new lovable puppy....
Old 01-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Cruisin'

'04 Lexus RX330, fully loaded. Came off lease -- far too soft ride; screetching tires at every turn. Did like those memory seats and automatic lift gate. Much prefer size and handling of the RDX.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Originally Posted by glug
.......traded a 2002 bmw m3 for the rdx tech..........
Did you have to replace the main bearings in the engine under the recall ?
That would have really ticked me off..........
Old 01-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I let the lease on my RX-8 expire. I loved that car and do miss it in particular ways. It still is among the best handling cars I've ever had.

But it was impractical for my purposes and I have no buyer's remorse. I've loving my ownership of my RDX for a whole two weeks now

Quick Reply: What did you have to "give up"/"get rid of" to get the RDX? Previous car discussion.