What did you do with your acura today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Came back from vacation to a lot of work responsibilities. Naturally, my partners car chose this time to throw up an issue.

After 10 days of sitting the cars coolant was low so I topped it up. Started the car and was greeted to a smokescreen coming from the exhaust manifold area. Checked the tailpipes and noted no smoke from the tailpipe nor bubbling consistent with a blown head gasket. No chocolate milk oil nor mixed up transmission fluid. Took the car for a spin and noted that it initially went 1 segment above its normal temperature then settled back to its standard temperature. After 5km i noted a fairly significant amount of coolant gone, however there does not appear to be a noticeable drip. There is a strong smell of coolant from the engine bay.

Didnt see indications of a leak at the water pump nor the radiator. I have a conference tomorrow so I told my partner to take it to a nearby mechanic to diagnose/isolate where the leak is coming from. From there i can do the change when I order the parts and have time.

It could not have happened at a worse time, and it seems to empty half the coolant reservoir in about 10-15 kms. That meant the car is parked until it can be fixed.

I see some other users have run into issues with the coolant bypass hose for the exhaust manifold. I believe through process of elimination that my issue is there, and hope the mechanic will confirm it once they get it on a lift.

Hoping it will be fixed by changing Acura 19555-RWC-A00 (Exhaust Manifold Water Outlet Connecting Pipe) on the exhaust manifold along with the o ring.

I do not suspect a head gasket or coolant in the intake as the engine runs great and there are no DTC's stored. The car has not been overheated up to this point and i would like to keep it that way.

Old 06-10-2024, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Did an oil change yesterday and put on the summers. We might push one last summer out of these tires as we want to see how the car lasts.

Might make a note to change the drivers axel as we hear a slight shifting sound on light braking with the winter tires. Unfortunately i have not been able to replicate this with the summer tires as of yet.

Minor coolant leak somewhere (0.5CM per 100km of the coolant reservoir). Might invest in a pressure tester later.

Will need to rust proof the car again and power wash accumulations of dirt off. Rust progressed a little but my partner had to park her car on grass for the last 2 years. The new parking lot is pavement so hopefully it means we can eek out some more time.