Way to deal with rising gas prices and still enjoying my RDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Way to deal with rising gas prices and still enjoying my RDX

So far, I have been using the public transportation during the week day to work, and only use the RDX on the weekends and occasional night outs.

And after 4 weeks, I only used slightly more than 1/3 of the tank. So I can imagine only pumping the gas once every 2 months. It costs about CAD90.00 for a fill with 91 octane, and so in 12 months only spend approx. CAD600.00 on gas on the RDX. For the occasional trip to Washington State or up to the ski area, will probably add to CAD1000.00 in gas.

There is no way the gas prices will recede to it's glory days of $1 per litre (and that was expensive then), so can only adapt the lifestyle.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
thats a good attitude to have man, it makes u less angry and frustrated about the rising gas prices, unfortunately for me public transportation isn't an option because of the distance i have to travel weekly so gas prices are raping me
Old 06-22-2008, 06:36 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Here's how I enjoy my RDX: I love to pop accelerate getting the turbo to kick-in; I love handling those curves putting the SH AWD to work; 55mph on a freeway":? No way. Getting sucked behind some truck to take advantage of the alleged drag - No way. Gliding along instead of accelerating, no way. I just want to have some fun and saving a few hundred dollars while driving my RDX like some old lady (sorry mom ) isn't my idea of fun.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Racer

If you think keeping your rapidly depreciating car in the garage most of the time is your best way to enjoy it, then more power to you.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fishbulb
If you think keeping your rapidly depreciating car in the garage most of the time is your best way to enjoy it, then more power to you.
I agree. If I drove that little I would have leased a Porsche Caymen or a Corvette for the weekends. Payments would be the same as financing an RDX. If gas prices are a concern for you then you definitely bought the wrong vehicle.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drive normally, but a few extra dollars for gas don't really matter to me.

I'm glad I didn't buy the GC SRT-8 now, though it would be a hoot to drive.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sluday
I agree. If I drove that little I would have leased a Porsche Caymen or a Corvette for the weekends. Payments would be the same as financing an RDX. If gas prices are a concern for you then you definitely bought the wrong vehicle.

True indeed...

But my driving to work daily involves sitting in the traffic, and inching along congested highways as well.. .I am not sure that it would be very enjoyable... but now that I am taking the public transportation, I am actually less stressed when I get to work, and when I do drive the RDX, mostly evenings and weekends, I really get to enjoy the vehicle... and not burn all that money in gas by idling away in congested traffic...

When the price of gas hits $2.50 a litre (which could happen sooner than you think, given the way it is rising now) or $8 a gallon, I wonder if you still have that same sentiment...
Old 06-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mav238
True indeed...

But my driving to work daily involves sitting in the traffic, and inching along congested highways as well.. .I am not sure that it would be very enjoyable... but now that I am taking the public transportation, I am actually less stressed when I get to work, and when I do drive the RDX, mostly evenings and weekends, I really get to enjoy the vehicle... and not burn all that money in gas by idling away in congested traffic...

When the price of gas hits $2.50 a litre (which could happen sooner than you think, given the way it is rising now) or $8 a gallon, I wonder if you still have that same sentiment...
You are fortunate to have such a wonderful public transit system available. For many of us, riding public transit invoices (i) driving to the train station (ii) hunting for and paying for a parking spot - if you can find one (iii) maybe getting a seat and if you do, most likely being croweded next to some nerd who yaps on his/her cell phone the whole way; (iv) being late due to delays (v) maybe switching to a second train or bus etc. etc.

Just to make the point that neither driving nor riding public transit is a panacea. Each has its share of stresses.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Instructor

I have pumped the tires on my RDX to 33 PSI, just 1 PSI above what is recommended and have noticed that I get slightly better fuel economy.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by portwashguy
You are fortunate to have such a wonderful public transit system available. For many of us, riding public transit invoices (i) driving to the train station (ii) hunting for and paying for a parking spot - if you can find one (iii) maybe getting a seat and if you do, most likely being croweded next to some nerd who yaps on his/her cell phone the whole way; (iv) being late due to delays (v) maybe switching to a second train or bus etc. etc.

Just to make the point that neither driving nor riding public transit is a panacea. Each has its share of stresses.

Yup, the drawback with public transportation is having to be on-time with the schedules, while driving a car gives more flexibility to when you go to work and when you leave the office. Stressful? Well, initially it was a little, but once you get used to it, just have to plan out smartly your work day to make sure you get everything done in the 8 hours you spend at the office.

With driving, there is no getting around the congested traffic... actually when I drove to work, I get more stressed out with crazies and idiots who drive like they own the road... on the public train and mass rapid transit system, I simply sit back and enjoy the train ride... and getting some exercise back into my system (with the walking required) as well...
And on the weekends, when traffic is less congested, get to enjoy the RDX so much more... the feeling is the "can't wait to drive you!" ...
Old 06-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mav238
Yup, the drawback with public transportation is having to be on-time with the schedules, while driving a car gives more flexibility to when you go to work and when you leave the office. Stressful? Well, initially it was a little, but once you get used to it, just have to plan out smartly your work day to make sure you get everything done in the 8 hours you spend at the office.

With driving, there is no getting around the congested traffic... actually when I drove to work, I get more stressed out with crazies and idiots who drive like they own the road... on the public train and mass rapid transit system, I simply sit back and enjoy the train ride... and getting some exercise back into my system (with the walking required) as well...
And on the weekends, when traffic is less congested, get to enjoy the RDX so much more... the feeling is the "can't wait to drive you!" ...
Seems kinda silly to buy a new $35k+ car and then use public transportation. You are essentially paying for your transportation costs twice. Would make more sense to keep an older car (that is already paid off) or buy something cheaper if you spend most of your time on the bus or train.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by creativeguy
Seems kinda silly to buy a new $35k+ car and then use public transportation. You are essentially paying for your transportation costs twice. Would make more sense to keep an older car (that is already paid off) or buy something cheaper if you spend most of your time on the bus or train.
Depends on the price of gas + parking and the value of your productive time on the train. A train ride into a congested city may be very cost effective.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:19 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I prob drive it harder than ever before. If im spendin 60-70 bucks to fill up, u bet ur ass im gonna enjoy the ride to empty
Old 06-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnny99
Depends on the price of gas + parking and the value of your productive time on the train. A train ride into a congested city may be very cost effective.

Exactly...

I didn't say I don't drive my RDX... just that for my regular transport to work, I take the public transportation, and enjoy my RDX in the evenings or weekends.

There are many people who own cars like Porsche or BMWs and yet take the public transportation, because of the congestion and also cost-effectiveness.

If I don't use the RDX at all, yup... I am paying twice the cost... but I do use the RDX, only not to work...
Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Intermediate

I'm with you mav238, I too take public transportation to work (GO train Burlington to Toronto Union). While it is of course cost-effective, and a green thing to do yada yada. But for me it comes down to this:

From home to work by car via QEW = 45-50 mins
From home to work via public transport (GO followed by a quick on the TTC) = 60 minutes

It's not that much quicker to drive to work - so, rather than sit in a car with nothing to do but stare at the other cars around you and avoid the crazies that drive like maniacs in order to shave 3 minutes off of their commute, I take a nice comfortable ride on the GO, which gives me an hour each way to catch up on journal articles, or attend to e-mail on my blackberry. I end up getting a lot of work done during my commute, which allows me to go home earlier.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oilerfan
I'm with you mav238, I too take public transportation to work (GO train Burlington to Toronto Union). While it is of course cost-effective, and a green thing to do yada yada. But for me it comes down to this:

From home to work by car via QEW = 45-50 mins
From home to work via public transport (GO followed by a quick on the TTC) = 60 minutes

It's not that much quicker to drive to work - so, rather than sit in a car with nothing to do but stare at the other cars around you and avoid the crazies that drive like maniacs in order to shave 3 minutes off of their commute, I take a nice comfortable ride on the GO, which gives me an hour each way to catch up on journal articles, or attend to e-mail on my blackberry. I end up getting a lot of work done during my commute, which allows me to go home earlier.
Thank you for your concurring feedback, oilerfan.

I am not against folks who choose to drive their RDX to work, through congestion and dealing with skyrocketing gas prices. If they choose to do so, and not complain or wince at the gas prices, then all power to them. I love to drive my RDX, but just personally, I find that I need to adapt to the rapidly changing global economic situation.

morever, after making the change, I find that I am less stressed going to work, I miss driving my RDX a lot more, making my weekend and evening outings in it so much more gratifying. I enjoy the RDX now by not idling in congestion, rather, crusiing through congestion free traffic... much better...

Oh... yes... I don't have to detail my car as often too...
Old 07-02-2008, 12:27 PM
08 RDX Tech, PMM

I've been thinking of switching back to public transit also. The insurance is paid for either way, but I do save the difference between a bus pass to a downtown parking spot + gas. And with the climbing gas price, this gap is getting bigger and bigger.

My only justification for the time being is that I am trying to break in with my engine so I should drive more often. I've had the car for a month now driving to work everyday and I am still just over 600 km. At this pace my first oil change will come in like 9 months?

And this got me thinking. I believe engine oil life goes down as a combination of mileage used and time. If I drive my car very little over a long period of time, does this mean I will need to do oil changes at much shorter mileage intervals? They always say like every 5000 km or 3 months (or whatever the numbers are). My previous car was an older vehicle with an NA engine so I wasn't too worried about the 3 months thing. But now that I have a turbo, I am not sure if I can (or should) get away with it. I guess the maintenance reminder will let me know. Any advice?