Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Transmission Question

I know a lot of you on here drive the RDX. How do you all find the 5 speed gear box? I read an article that Acura plans on a 6 speed gear box next year. I am really curious on what comments you all have on that. I drive an RSX Type S now, and I love the 6th gear, but haven't driven an automatic in probably 10 years. I am currently working on trading my car in for a 2010 RDX Tech!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gungho_15
I know a lot of you on here drive the RDX. How do you all find the 5 speed gear box? I read an article that Acura plans on a 6 speed gear box next year. I am really curious on what comments you all have on that. I drive an RSX Type S now, and I love the 6th gear, but haven't driven an automatic in probably 10 years. I am currently working on trading my car in for a 2010 RDX Tech!
I don't believe they are working on a 6....actually I don't believe much of what I read in the Auto world anymore. Until I see actual proof and documentation....I'm not buying it.

As far as the 5 speed box...I like it, it shifts just fine to me. Plus if you want to drive it in Manual mode you can....you just don't have to worry about the clutch. So really you don't have to drive an Automatic
Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Hello -- new member, longtime lurker. I also own an RSX-S (2006) and am planning to get an RDX, but not for another year or so. Had an RDX loaner 3 times and loved it, but it does sound somewhat loud at highway speed (70+ mph). However, from what I've read, the 2010 is supposed to be quieter inside than prior year models. In any case, it's a little strange going from a manual to an automatic, even in a ride as sweet as the RDX (and even using the paddle shifters) -- I feel more connected in the RSX. Not quite ready to say goodbye to that (or my money), so think I'll wait until they come out with a 6AT, better colors, and better interior materials. A V6 would be nice too, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Also, I see a lot of people write about the "harsh ride" of the RDX, but it feels softer than the RSX-S, while remaining nearly as planted. Steering also feels better to me -- lighter than the RSX, but still crisp and responsive.

Hope this helps, but the best thing to do is go for a test drive. If you don't want to deal with sales pressure, request an RDX loaner next time you take your car to the dealer for service (have to make an appointment in advance to do that, and then get there a little before they open -- even with an advance request, it's first come first serve).
Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The new MDX has the 6 speed and I'm guessing the RDX won't get it for another 1-2 years. This year would have been the time to do it (since it's a mid model refresh).

The 5 speed is ok. I think the paddles are a bit slow and the first to second shift seems sloppy/delayed. Not sure if it's the programming trying to make it smoother, or the trans slipping. My Maxima's 5 speed is far more responsive.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cwepruk
The new MDX has the 6 speed and I'm guessing the RDX won't get it for another 1-2 years. This year would have been the time to do it (since it's a mid model refresh).

The 5 speed is ok. I think the paddles are a bit slow and the first to second shift seems sloppy/delayed. Not sure if it's the programming trying to make it smoother, or the trans slipping. My Maxima's 5 speed is far more responsive.

Ya I knew the MDX was getting the 6 speed gear box this year and unfortunatelly they have had some major issues with it. The MDX will not show up until at least december now! Maybe a good thing the RDX didnt get it!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to make sure you get a balanced set of opinions, the transmission is the first (and probably only) thing I'd dump on my RDX. It shifts up and down way too often - which is probably due to the 4cyl having to work fairly hard. In addition, the paddle shifters are nothing but a kids toy. There's way too much lag on upshifts, and the car takes over and shifts when the RPMs hit a certain point anyway - LONG before redline. It kinda limits the amount of fun you can have. They are somewhat useful when you want to downshift, but that's about it.

I REALLY wish this thing had a standard. It would be MUCH more fun. As to the poster that mentioned not having to worry about a clutch, what is there to worry about? The clutch is the best thing about having a stick! These auto stick thingies are just stupid in my opinion. Without a clutch, you lose most of the fun associated with having a stick.

Mike
Old 09-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda has never really made a very great automatic. One of the weak points on almost every vehicle that has one. Their manuals usually rock and are among the best in automotive world.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Pro

I don't have a big issue with the timing of the upshifts, but i find it's a bit reluctant to downshift. A good example is when you are turning and you slow to about 10 mph, then step on it. I think it stays in about 3rd gear even at half throttle. I think it needs to be a bit more aggressive since off boost, the engine is a slug.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:48 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by catnippants
There's way too much lag on upshifts, and the car takes over and shifts when the RPMs hit a certain point anyway - LONG before redline.
You can bounce off the limiter all day when you put the transmission in sportshift mode, and I also notice the shift speed is pretty fast when you're past 4000 rpm in S mode, i.e. driving like you're on a racetrack.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by corduroygt
You can bounce off the limiter all day when you put the transmission in sportshift mode, and I also notice the shift speed is pretty fast when you're past 4000 rpm in S mode, i.e. driving like you're on a racetrack.
I have never been able to shift when I want to in sport mode. It always shifts long before I want to. Maybe the '07s were more conservative? I do have one of the first 1000 RDXs built....

Mike
Old 09-06-2009, 06:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by catnippants
I have never been able to shift when I want to in sport mode. It always shifts long before I want to. Maybe the '07s were more conservative? I do have one of the first 1000 RDXs built....

Mike
I have 09 and it behaves the same way. The downshift is okay, but upshifts are too slow regardless the rpm/speed.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't have a big issue with the timing of the upshifts, but i find it's a bit reluctant to downshift. A good example is when you are turning and you slow to about 10 mph, then step on it. I think it stays in about 3rd gear even at half throttle. I think it needs to be a bit more aggressive since off boost, the engine is a slug.
I just tap on the downshift paddle twice if I want it it to downshift quick

Last edited by mau108; 09-06-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Pro

I've done the paddle flick before and sometimes it still doesn't downshift.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've done the paddle flick before and sometimes it still doesn't downshift.

Same thing happens to me. I think it is because I flick it too fast. I find that if I flick it moderately, it will register. Then again, it could all be in my head.