Thule T2 bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thule T2 bike rack

I've been looking for a way to carry my bikes around on the RDX. One bike barely fits inside with the front wheel off, but also gets the interior dirty. I didn't get the roof rack because I knew I did not want to mount the bikes up there and also did not want to remove the wheels. So I went with the Thule T2 917. I installed it today and thought I would share my pictures.

When I bought the RDX last month, I installed a Hidden Hitch. This hitch is alot more stealthy than the factory Acura hitch. It was also much easier to install. There is a thread here about the Hidden Hitch.

The only problem with the Hidden Hitch was that it is a bit too far under the bumper. This kept me from being able to fold up the rack when not in use. To remedy this, I had to also buy the hitch extender made by Spotworks (now owned by Thule).

Sportworks hitch extender

Here you can see with the extender added there is enough clearance to fold up the rack.

Pictures of the rack folded down with no bikes.

One bike

Two bikes

The T2 also tilts down to allow for access to the tailgate.

I haven't really done any driving yet with the rack installed, but the from the reviews I've read, the rack is very stable.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Nice. How many inches does the Sportworks extender extend the hitch?
Also, I couldn't tell from the photos-- does it use a standard hitch pin to secure it to the hidden hitch? Thanks!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by steev
Nice. How many inches does the Sportworks extender extend the hitch?
Also, I couldn't tell from the photos-- does it use a standard hitch pin to secure it to the hidden hitch? Thanks!

It extends it about 6 inches. The Sportworks extender comes with a bolt and washer. The extender itself is threaded like the rack. This is nice because it keeps the rack stable.

Although I still think this is the best, most sturdy bike rack available, I recently sold it and bought the Saris Thelma. It is much lighter at 26 lbs vs. the 48 lbs of the T2. I will post pictures of the new rack this weekend.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:06 PM
8th Gear

hard to find extender

I've had some trouble finding the extender, Thule does not make one, and SportWorks has changed their business and no longer sells consumer products. The typical extenders on e trailer all are help in by a pin which makes them prone to bouncing around. I did find one on Amazon: The HitchMate 6000. I'm hoping it fits securely.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:36 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by boulderrdx
I've had some trouble finding the extender, Thule does not make one, and SportWorks has changed their business and no longer sells consumer products. The typical extenders on e trailer all are help in by a pin which makes them prone to bouncing around. I did find one on Amazon: The HitchMate 6000. I'm hoping it fits securely.
Hi boulderrdx,

Did you get the HitchMate 6000 to work?

Thanks,
Shelley
Old 07-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question, Does the 1.25" stinger from the extender slide into the hitch easy or did you have to use a mallet to tap it into the receiver?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RedGSX - You mentioned you got the Hiddent Hitch 1 1/4" and then got the Sportswork Hitch Extender. The only problem is that I've noticed all of the hitch extenders I can find are from 2" to 2" so how did you find one that was 1 1/4" to 1 1/4" inch? It looks like the one you have is the latter but can't find it on Hidden Hitch or eTrailer.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Here's the one I just ordered - hopefully the pasted URL works:
http://www.etrailer.com/p-hes6.htm
Old 04-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MattG42C
Here's the one I just ordered - hopefully the pasted URL works:
http://www.etrailer.com/p-hes6.htm
Perfect. Thanks so much MattG42C. I'll definitely order this since I believe you have the same rack that I'll be getting...or close to it...http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=914
Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phoward_15
Perfect. Thanks so much MattG42C. I'll definitely order this since I believe you have the same rack that I'll be getting...or close to it...http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=914
It's actually an older Hollywood rack, but it appears to be the same style as the Thule shown. I am buying it from a friend in exchange for a case of beer ...

-Matt.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Pro

Damn a case of beer???? Hopefully he's asking for something nice and not just a case of Golden Anniversary or Schlitz. Enjoy!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Meat Popsicle

No picture from below?

;-)
Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Racer

I have the Etrailer hitch extender. It does not have a threaded bolt like the Sportworks extender, so it is not as stable. Since the car end of the extender is sealed, there is no way to insert a threaded locking mechanism, either. I guess a little wobble in a bike rack isn't too bad. I've been using the extender with a Saris Thelma bike rack with no problems.

If I were to do this again, I would get the Acura hitch that supposedly sticks out a little more so that the extender is not necessary.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by johnny99
I have the Etrailer hitch extender. It does not have a threaded bolt like the Sportworks extender, so it is not as stable. Since the car end of the extender is sealed, there is no way to insert a threaded locking mechanism, either. I guess a little wobble in a bike rack isn't too bad. I've been using the extender with a Saris Thelma bike rack with no problems.

If I were to do this again, I would get the Acura hitch that supposedly sticks out a little more so that the extender is not necessary.
So where can I get the sportworks extender? I tried there site but it doesn't really look like they do consumer products anymore. More just commercial and corporate sales. If someone can give me the link to buy the Sportworks hitch extender that would be great. THen I'll be all set I believe.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Cruisin'

I picked up the Sportworks extender at my local bike shop. It is very nice to have the threaded hole. Since my original post I have switched to the Saris Thelma bike rack. I really liked the Thule T2 and I still think it is the best rack out there. My only problem with it was that it was so heavy. It weighed about 54 lbs, while the Thelma only weighs 27 lbs. This makes it much easier to take on and off.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RedGSX
I picked up the Sportworks extender at my local bike shop. It is very nice to have the threaded hole. Since my original post I have switched to the Saris Thelma bike rack. I really liked the Thule T2 and I still think it is the best rack out there. My only problem with it was that it was so heavy. It weighed about 54 lbs, while the Thelma only weighs 27 lbs. This makes it much easier to take on and off.
RedGSX thanks for the feedback you've been very helpful. I'm going to stop by my local bike shop and see if they have one as well. I'd much rather have the threaded hole so it's secure. I'm assuming it's a common item that a bike shop would have so hopefully not too hard to find. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:06 AM
10th Gear

Uhaul Hitch Install

I was wondering if anybody get a hitch installed by U-Haul? I got a quote of $174 (all-in price) for the hitch and the installation. I have heard good things about the U-Haul hitch, but not from any RDX owners. However, the Hidden Hitch is a nice idea too. Great to keep it out of sight.

But, I also would like a really secure bike rack to fit on that hitch and not have it rattle around. I live in the NYC area, and with all those potholes and bumps on the road, it would get really annoyning to listen to that rattle.

So, wondering what the pros and cons are for the U-Haul hitch compared to the hidden hitch.

I would love to hear any thoughts on this. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

To follow-up on my previous posts, I have been using the 6" extension I bought from etrailer.com with the draw-tite hitch with no problems whatsoever. The rack moves around slightly, but that's not much different than without the extension. Nothing rattles that I can tell. Unless you forget the hitch pin(s), it's not going anywhere.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Pro

MattG42C - Thanks for the update. I'm just getting my Hidden Hitch installed by my dealer today. It was in the shop for a minor bumper repair and they said they would hook it all up for $50 for me so I said hell ya. Saves me time.

I'm going to get the Thule 914 bike rack. The guy at Eastern Mountain Sports says that he can order me the hitch extender from Thule at the same time. He also said the same thing that you mentioned which is that it moves a little but you'll hardly even notice it. Plus he said there's almost no noise from the movement. It's that time of season again. Getting really excited to no longer have to use my crappy bike hitch that went on the back of my Civic Sedan.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Pro

So I am having the hardest time finding a hitch extender for my Thule 914 bike rack. I've installed the Hidden Hitch onto my car and I went to Eatern Mountain Sports to get rack. They called Thule about a hitch extender and they said "we don't recommend one" and didn't provide a vendor or anything.

So right now I'm on my own and not sure what to look for. I found these http://www.prolineracks.com/hitch-extenders.html

The Hidden Hitch is 1 1/4" so I would need that one obviously but is 10" too long? Will it stick out too much? For those of you who have bought a hitch extender how long was the one you purchased (i.e. the Sportworks one in this forum)?

Thanks,
paul
Old 04-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Cruisin'

The Sportworks extender is 10 3/4 inches long. The holes for the bolts are 7 1/2 inches apart, which will be the extension length. I really wouldn't recommend the hitch extenders from the site you listed above. From what I can tell, they are not threaded like the Sportworks extender. The threaded bolt hole really helps to keep the rack stable. I have made several 300 mile trips with my rack driving on the interstate. At speeds above 60mph, it's nice to not have your rack bouncing around.

If you can't find the Sportworks extender, maybe you get just get a regular extender and have a welding shop attach a threaded bolt hole.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedGSX
what are your thoughts on the thelma bike rack so far? are you still using the hidden hitch? do you need an extender in order to fold this rack into the up position?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Racer

I have the Saris Thelma bike rack. Yes, you do need a hitch extender if you want to fold up the rack. The Thelma is very lightweight (compared to other racks), so it is easy to install and remove.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Cruisin'

I have the Saris Thelma bike rack. Yes, you do need a hitch extender if you want to fold up the rack. The Thelma is very lightweight (compared to other racks), so it is easy to install and remove.
Thanks for your reply. I like the idea of the thelma-- a much lighter option.

i am strongly considering the valley hitch since it sticks out a bit further. should i go with it, i'll post my findings.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fegnomashic
Thanks for your reply. I like the idea of the thelma-- a much lighter option.

i am strongly considering the valley hitch since it sticks out a bit further. should i go with it, i'll post my findings.
Are you sure "it sticks out a bit futher"? Looking at the photos on various web sites, all the 3rd party hitch racks look identical to me (as in made in the same factory and just packaged differently).
Old 03-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Cruisin'

Are you sure "it sticks out a bit futher"? Looking at the photos on various web sites, all the 3rd party hitch racks look identical to me (as in made in the same factory and just packaged differently).
i found pictures of the various hitches mostly on the etrailer.com site. when comparing pictures of the valley hitch to the others on an image of the RDX shot from underneath the car, looking directly up (car may have been on a lift) it looked like the receiver end stuck out a bit further. valley i guess is a division of thule, and the hitch has a different appearance than the others. i suspect that it will not be as well hidden as the much more popular hitches are. i ordered one today, i will post my findings once i have a chance to install it.