Thinking about RDX, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009 | 07:42 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Thinking about RDX, couple questions

I'm thinking of trading in my 2003 S2000 on an '08 or '09 RDX. I have a couple questions:

-I know the most common complaint is ride quality, but I'm coming from a sports car. Is the bad ride quality compared to luxury cars, or is it bad overall? Anyone have any S2000 experience and care to compare?

-I commute in bad traffic, often stop and go. If you are in stop and go and off the boost, how bad is the gas mileage?

-Dealers around here (Chicagoland) have '08 and '09 Tech packages with ~20k miles for around $30k. Does this seem fair? Is it likely to come down in the spring? I hope to get closer to $25k than $30k.

-Anyone have a trailer hitch receiver installed (factory or otherwise?) I want to use a hitch-mounted bike carrier, if possible.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-25-2009 | 09:07 PM
Advanced

I don't own an RDX (yet), but have had one several times as a loaner and plan to get one in the future. I drive an RSX-S now and had a Mini Cooper-S before that, both of which I'm guessing are nowhere near as stiff as an S2000 (thought about getting one of them too -- yum!). Compared to those two cars, the RDX is not harsh at all. I think it has a nice ride -- supple compared to what I'm used to, but still crisp and tight. Just feels weird going from manual to automatic -- driving in "S" (rather than "D") seems to helps with that.

As for the price, I just checked CarMax and $30K +/- is about the going price for a 2008 / 2009 with ~20K miles. However, seems like people were getting deals on new '09s this past summer -- around $32,500 with 0 miles on them. Last November I almost bought a new '08 Tech for ~$32K. I don't know if the $25K range you're shooting for is realistic, but I would think you could get one for less than $30K -- maybe $28-29K. My local dealer here in Maryland has a 2008 for about $28,700, but that has 40K miles on it.
Old 10-25-2009 | 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Agent70
As for the price, I just checked CarMax and $30K +/- is about the going price for a 2008 / 2009 with ~20K miles. However, seems like people were getting deals on new '09s this past summer -- around $32,500 with 0 miles on them. Last November I almost bought a new '08 Tech for ~$32K. I don't know if the $25K range you're shooting for is realistic, but I would think you could get one for less than $30K -- maybe $28-29K. My local dealer here in Maryland has a 2008 for about $28,700, but that has 40K miles on it.
Thanks for the info. I don't expect to get to $25k, but I'd expect $27k or so. If people were buying them new for $32k, and putting 20k miles on them, I'd expect a little more depreciation than a lousy $2k.
Old 10-25-2009 | 09:42 PM
Intermediate

The ride quality is really not bad at all. For me, it is not an issue. It is firm but not harsh. It is actually a very comfortable vehicle to drive.

As for the gas mileage. I don't think it is too bad. I get similar mileage in mixed city/hwy driving to that of my Lexus ES330. My TL, before that, was pretty similar also. Maybe if you compare to other 4 cylinders, it is bad, but for the power of the RDX, it is not bad at all, in my opinion. It really depends how you drive, though. This car really makes you want to use the turbo, and of course, the more you use it, the worse your mileage will be.

I would suggest doing a nice long test drive. You probably won't be disappointed.
Old 10-25-2009 | 10:28 PM

Here's an example:

2009 RDX base for $33,991 with 5300 miles

That's OVER MSRP for a car with 5300 miles. I don't get it.
Old 10-26-2009 | 12:14 AM
Instructor

I got my '08 Tech for $31k before tax. You may want to shop around a bit.
Old 10-26-2009 | 07:39 AM
Advanced

All of us here have probably done a trade-in on our cars where it seems like you're not getting shit for it, so you know the dealers are making a killing on resale -- likely a $5-6K mark-up. They make more money selling used cars than new cars. There's definitely plenty of wiggle room for negotiation. I don't know if CarMax sticks to their "haggle-free" price, but the regular dealers should be willing to negotiate. Even if they give you $2K discount they're doing just fine.
Old 10-26-2009 | 09:57 AM
Racer

I love the ride compared to our previous TSX. I feel safer, the RDX seems faster, and has alot more room for camping and hauling without the loss of a 'sport car' feel IMO.

I find the best times to buy vehicles is between end of month in January thru March. Typically slow times for dealers. I predict this Christmas will be slow too as ppl are not looking to spend that kind of money for cars in this economy. I dont know how that will effect the luxury brands.

I bought my 08 non-tech RDX new for $29.5k back in Nov 08 when dealers were beating each other over the head for our business. I did get low balled on the trade, as is typical, on my 05 TSX. They gave me 16k for it, and put it on their lot for 23k. It went to 16k, then I didnt see it again on the used car part of their web site.

So, dealers tend to over price their used cars, knowing they will bring the price down during negotiations with the buyer. Plus, realize the dealer has the liability of making sure the cars on their lot arent lemons.

I think the market is better now, and dealers are less likely to give the deep discounts they did back when I bought mine.

One point you can make when negatiating the price is competition. Do some research and find other comparable suvs. Tell the sales guy you're looking at this and that other brand as well as the RDX.
Old 10-26-2009 | 10:08 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
I'm thinking of trading in my 2003 S2000 on an '08 or '09 RDX. I have a couple questions:

-I know the most common complaint is ride quality, but I'm coming from a sports car. Is the bad ride quality compared to luxury cars, or is it bad overall? Anyone have any S2000 experience and care to compare?

-I commute in bad traffic, often stop and go. If you are in stop and go and off the boost, how bad is the gas mileage?

-Dealers around here (Chicagoland) have '08 and '09 Tech packages with ~20k miles for around $30k. Does this seem fair? Is it likely to come down in the spring? I hope to get closer to $25k than $30k.

-Anyone have a trailer hitch receiver installed (factory or otherwise?) I want to use a hitch-mounted bike carrier, if possible.

Thanks guys!
- Ride Quality: everything is relative here. It is bad for an SUV, how about that....compared to an S2000, that I don't know, but would think you'd be fine.
- Gas mileage: terrible in stop and go, bad even for an SUV.
- Price...that I don't know
- Hitch mounted bike: I would try to get the factory hitch just because it is made for the car and fits just right. I have an aftermarket one and doesn't work that well with my Thule T2 rack. If you go with after market make sure that it clears the bumper so that you don't need an extension.
Old 10-26-2009 | 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by CSpaR
I find the best times to buy vehicles is between end of month in January thru March. Typically slow times for dealers. I predict this Christmas will be slow too as ppl are not looking to spend that kind of money for cars in this economy. I dont know how that will effect the luxury brands.
Well, I'm thinking I'm going to buy around April. Main reason being, I figure demand for SUVs will slack off as we approach summer (and the potentially high fuel prices) and the demand for convertibles, like the S2000 I'll be trading in, will be heading back up. Right now, I figure SUVs are premium-priced trying to gouge those who are buying for the winter, and no dealer in their right mind wants to try and sell my S2000 in the wintertime.
Old 10-26-2009 | 11:00 AM
Racer

I dont agree. I think you'll find prices for suvs in April will be higher than in Jan thru Mar. reason is, kids are graduating soon, parents will be seeing their kids move on so now they can get that car they always wanted, ppl are seeing flowers bloom, warmer weather, camping an road trips come to mind now which generally makes you feel like buying something new. Plus, as time goes on, the economy will continue to do better. This translates into more of us buying more vehicles, which translates into less deals at the dealerships.

I think what will happen is that if you buy in Jan thru Mar, you'll get low balled for your trade in value, but that's to be expected anyway. The s2000 is a sport car. So, there is a market for it. Depending on what it's worth and what you might owe on it, you may get a good down payment on your new RDX. Or, sell it outright and make more money for your down payment.

Either way, I would highly reccemend doing all your dealership coorespondance thru e-mails. Send all of the dealers within a reasonable distance, say 100 miles, asking about best prices. Dont mention your trade. Then wait for responses. Then, send out a 2nd notice noting the lowest price you recieved and what ever 'gimmies' (stuff they throw in for free). Then wait again for responses. As dealers fall off with 'this is the best I can do', you'll narrow it down to 2-3 dealers. Pick the one that you like the best and get them to match the best deal you found. Then, once at the dealership, bring up the trade. They will low ball you since you are getting a great deal on the new RDX. However, dealers low ball anyway. Plus, you can proove your s2000's value.

I have done this time and time again with great results.
Old 10-26-2009 | 11:04 AM
Advanced

I have a G35C and I don't find our RDX harsh, but I could see where those used to a more cushy ride might.

As for boost in stop and go, you can keep off of boost if you try but I'd rate gas milage as so-so. I think we are now hovering about 18 MPG in mixed traffic. On the other hand, the '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee it replace got about 13-14, so it is a matter of perspective. :-)

I installed the Valley hitch which you can see here: post, specifically for a bike rack. I haven't gotten the rack yet, but it was inexpensive, and easy for two people to put on.

-john
Old 10-26-2009 | 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by CSpaR
I dont agree. I think you'll find prices for suvs in April will be higher than in Jan thru Mar. reason is, kids are graduating soon, parents will be seeing their kids move on so now they can get that car they always wanted, ppl are seeing flowers bloom, warmer weather, camping an road trips come to mind now which generally makes you feel like buying something new. Plus, as time goes on, the economy will continue to do better. This translates into more of us buying more vehicles, which translates into less deals at the dealerships.
Eh, here in Chicago, the main reason to buy an SUV is to drive in the snow. You might be right that Jan-Mar might be slightly lower, but I really think that fear of gas prices + no more need to drive in snow for 9 months means SUV sales will be lower.
Old 10-26-2009 | 12:37 PM
Instructor

I think people overstate the harshness of the ride. it's not bad at all. I had my mom, 55ish years old, drive our rdx for a few days and she said of all my cars, this one was her favorite. I asked her if she thought the ride was too harsh and she said no and looked at me like I was asking a crazy question.
Old 10-26-2009 | 02:36 PM
Pro

It's not horrible, but it's not good. Sharp bumps are a bit harsh and consecutive bumps are pretty bad (like bad rail road tracks), otherwise, it's alright. I have a 2008 G35 and it's a lot less harsh and able to soak up the same bumps that upset the RDX more.

I get 19 mpg city in moderate stop and go traffic in summer and about 17 in winter.
Old 10-26-2009 | 02:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cwepruk
It's not horrible, but it's not good. Sharp bumps are a bit harsh and consecutive bumps are pretty bad (like bad rail road tracks), otherwise, it's alright. I have a 2008 G35 and it's a lot less harsh and able to soak up the same bumps that upset the RDX more.
On the other hand, the G35 has a pretty sophisticated suspension that improves handling in challenging situations. I think when most people think "ride", the simply mean under more normal conditions, not railroad tracks, etc.

-john

Last edited by ccfoodog; 10-26-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2009 | 04:08 PM
Pro

Bumps and railway crossings are fairly normal in most drives. The RDX does not take sharp bumps well so if you have a lot of expansion joints, railroad tracks, pot holes, the RDX might not impress you in the ride department.

It's good on well maintained highways, but what car isn't on smooth roads?
Old 10-26-2009 | 07:05 PM

Took a (real) short test drive on my way home from work today. Really enjoyed the RDX, but I drove an older, slightly dirty example ('07, 42k) and it had a bit of low-speed vibration in the steering. Was this likely a poor example, or is that indicative of how the RDX drives? It was sitting on the lot, so it might've been rusty brakes or power steering that needed to warm up or something. But the ride was just fine, and I enjoyed driving it. Anyone know of a 20k mile, polished metal/black tech package '08 or '09 for sale in Chicagoland with 20k-ish miles for under $30k??
Old 10-27-2009 | 12:24 AM
Intermediate

Just a quick comment about the ride. The RDX doesn't possess anything close to a luxury SUV ride. So if that's what you're looking for, you won't find it. It is however a complete sports vehicle ride. Especially for an SUV. So coming from an S2000, you should be happy with the RDX. The ride is stiff but I've found that it has mellowed since we first bought it. Still stiff, but less jarring and sharp. I think you'll like it.
Old 10-27-2009 | 06:49 AM
Intermediate

i have the rdx and my brother has the ex from infiniti

the infiniti costs the same new but is so much nicer....better interior, 300hp 6spd tranny, more features (ex smartkey & camera) standard, performs better but is smoother + no lag from 6cyl

if you're buying used, the bmw x3 can be found for cheaper since its more common, along with the cadiullac srx and lexus

a note on pricing: the dealer here said they shoot for a sale at 2,000 less than asking...so if a car here is listed at 30000, they try to get 28000
Old 10-27-2009 | 07:23 AM
Meat Popsicle

It must be pointed out that the Infinity , which is a very nice vehicle, is in no way close to as roomy in the back seat or has the cargo versitility of RDX or X3. It is really a tall hatchback.
Old 10-27-2009 | 09:03 AM
Pro

Yeah, I love the EX in looks, options and performance, but it's about the size of a GTi inside. I used my RDX to haul my bike around and go on short weekend trips to the lake with my wife/dogs - so even though the RDX is hardly huge, it's significantly bigger than the EX.
Old 10-27-2009 | 02:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mic43
i have the rdx and my brother has the ex from infiniti

the infiniti costs the same new but is so much nicer....better interior, 300hp 6spd tranny, more features (ex smartkey & camera) standard, performs better but is smoother + no lag from 6cyl

if you're buying used, the bmw x3 can be found for cheaper since its more common, along with the cadiullac srx and lexus

a note on pricing: the dealer here said they shoot for a sale at 2,000 less than asking...so if a car here is listed at 30000, they try to get 28000
I am having this battle between the ex and rdx as my next vehicle. I KNOW that the ex DOES NOT have a 6 speed transmission. in the us its 5 speed and abroad its 7 speed and an ex 37. in japan its the skyline crossover and features at least one ad you can see on youtube being driven by ichiro. the OVERALL cargo capacity is about 20% less than the rdx but it can be had for about 6k off msrp even for the 2010 version.
Old 10-27-2009 | 04:48 PM
Pro

Thanks guys!
I bought my rdx from this dealer, i got free lifetime carwash from this dealer..
I searched their preowned inventory and below is the link..

http://www.mcgrathacuraofmortongrove...kargument=page
Old 10-27-2009 | 05:22 PM
Pro

also my dealer has great coupon (service) you can use. Their oil change only cost 29.95 but i paid 59.95 for synthetic oil, tire rotation is 14.95.

i noticed they charged more if you tell them A1 service or B1, rather than getting individual service...

http://www.mcgrathacuraofmortongrove...s-Service.aspx

Check out their service coupon..
Old 10-27-2009 | 07:05 PM
Racer

Thanks guys!
I have an 07 and the ride quality is pretty harsh. It is ok up front but my rear passengers have told me it is punishing back there. After 3 years, the harshness is getting to me.

As for traffic, the turbo has gotten really annoying on the freeway. Because the turbo is all or nothing, I often accelerate more than I need to and have to use my brakes when I reach the car in front of me. The RDX can idle when things are really slow, and go fast when traffic is clear, but that middle range is missing when you need just a little torque to keep up with the stop and go traffic.
Old 10-27-2009 | 08:27 PM
big shot.

Test the car on rougher roads, that will show the personality of the suspension. In most situations where you would not expect a reaction from the suspension, the RDX transmits imperfections more so than any car ive driven. That being said, yes it is sport tuned- but other cars and trucks achieve a sports car like ride without the side effects the RDX will give you. Its stiff, sporty, but the furthest thing from supple or calm, even on the the nicest of roads. I dont mind it usually, but on long drives 3+ hrs, id rather drive something else.

that being said...expect stop n go city mileage between 15 to maybe 17, realistically.

in terms of price, dunno what your acura dealers are smoking out there, but close to 30 for an 08 or 09 w/20k miles is ridiculous. You could buy a new 09 tech @32k
Old 10-27-2009 | 08:28 PM
big shot.

...the turbo isnt an issue for me. imo, once you learn how to drive the RDX, you will get it to behave whatever way you want, it just takes more driver effort, some may be put off by that, but i like the interaction i guess
Old 10-27-2009 | 11:42 PM
Intermediate

I admit that the RDX felt very harsh initially, but I got to appreciate it. It's more of a sports car than a luxury car. I've taken a few long trips and it's very comfortable even after 8+ hours of driving.

Gas mileage will be a problem for you. I get around 19 mpg and I'm on the freeways often.

I bought a new 2009 w/tech for $31,800 before taxes early this year. If I were you, I'd wait until the spring. The economy isn't getting better no matter what the stock market is doing and pundits are saying on TV/radio. I think you're still dealing with the remnants of the C4C dealer euphoria right now.

I bought a Valley Hitch that I use for my Thule T2 rack. It works perfectly and it does't need an extension like you'd need with a Hidden Hitch.

Old 10-28-2009 | 02:33 AM
Meat Popsicle

I am in Chicago area also, Naperville Wheaton region. I do not commute to the city, do 10-15% highway. I have gotten about 20 - 21 MPG consistantly since day 1. ( Both calculated and via trip computer ) I drive quick, but do not beat it. I am at about 53K now. Car was bought at McGrath in Westmont. Very happy with purchase, after prolonged haggling. The few service experiences have been excellent. Always a free loaner. In winter its sitting with the heater running when they had it over.

The RDX is what it is , not perfect, not a sports car, but very reliable, fun transport. Ride is sharp, but not wicked harsh.
Old 10-28-2009 | 08:25 AM
XIS
Lizard King

The ride is similar to a sports car with low profile tires... I wouldn't change a thing and if you are looking for a nice cushy ride, look at a Lexus RX...

MPG - I am almost all city and short trips (only 24K on my 2007) and I get around 17MPG... On my yearly Summer trips to do portraits at the Beach in Cal, I get around 21 MPG doing an average of 75-85 mph. If I drove 65-70, I would get around 23.

Put that thing in S in the city and tear it up.
Old 10-29-2009 | 01:18 AM
Instructor

I have an S2000 and to me the RDX actually feels quite similar, almost as if the S was raised and increased in size, that is what you would get. The steering is lighter, and ride softer in the RDX, but overall I think the RDX is probably the closest you will get to "S2000-like" handling in a small SUV/CUV. Put it this way..... when driving either consistently for a few weeks at a time, getting a bit used to it, and then going back to the other, it doesn't feel like day and night. Which is saying a lot, considering how much fun the S is to drive.
Old 10-29-2009 | 07:26 AM
XIS
Lizard King

one major benefit to the 2007 is that the steering is not anywhere as loose as the 08's and up... WHen I got a 2008 loaner once, I was shocked at how different and loose the steering was.
I like it tight, like everyone should.
Old 10-29-2009 | 05:03 PM
big shot.

yep...the mechanics of the car were changed, i noticed it big time, when i went from my 07 to the 08...imo, the 07 was the best version, but i have not driven the 10.

the 07 took corners much better, and it was just flat out STIFF..it wasnt soft & stiff like my 08 (08 bends in corners much more) the 07 felt so light and quick on its feet & the steering was pinpoint accurate...my 08 feels floaty compared to it, steering is still good, but not as sharp and precise.

if the 07 spec ever returned (just hypothetically) id dump my 08 in a second.
Old 10-29-2009 | 05:09 PM
Instructor

I had an RDX with tech and while I liked many things about it, ultimately, as a car guy, I just never found it to suit me for many reasons. I think my ownership of it was the shortest I'd ever held a car, which was 8 months. I traded it for a Jeep SRT8, which is much more my style and is much more enjoyable in every respect, except for the gas mileage.
Old 10-29-2009 | 05:58 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Amen XIS...
Old 10-29-2009 | 05:59 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Originally Posted by MMike1981
if the 07 spec ever returned (just hypothetically) id dump my 08 in a second.
get the Eibach's...
Old 10-29-2009 | 07:28 PM
big shot.

had em, sold em.
Old 10-30-2009 | 01:38 AM
Advanced

I just traded in my 06 s2000 for an Odyssey and am now driving my wife's "old" 08 RDX. From a ride perspective, it's like the person stated above. It's not a bad ride, but definitely firmer than a Lexus RX or other crossover out there. I actually don't mind the suspension, I prefer to feel the road I'm driving on...
Old 10-30-2009 | 11:51 AM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Originally Posted by omgacuralol
I have an S2000 and to me the RDX actually feels quite similar, almost as if the S was raised and increased in size, that is what you would get. The steering is lighter, and ride softer in the RDX, but overall I think the RDX is probably the closest you will get to "S2000-like" handling in a small SUV/CUV. Put it this way..... when driving either consistently for a few weeks at a time, getting a bit used to it, and then going back to the other, it doesn't feel like day and night. Which is saying a lot, considering how much fun the S is to drive.
I have an S2000 and my wife drives an '07 RDX. Prior to that she had an '02 A4 1.8t (FWD). In many ways, the RDX is more fun to drive than the A4 was. It's no S2000, being softer/more comfortable, but it's definitely not like any other SUV I've driven. It drives like a good sports sedan with a taller driving position, but rarely do you feel as though it's top heavy.

We also bought ours from McGrath in Westmont, and would recommend speaking with Dean.

Quick Reply: Thinking about RDX, couple questions