Things to Never Say to a Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Not true, here is one of the quotes I received directly through email, and if I really wanted - I could have purchased it at listed price. I even spoke with the guy on the phone, I could have placed an order at that time (I got it elsewhere even cheaper). As you can see the price was below MSRP.
Used cars, yes, you will probably need a dealer.
But new car sales will become a retail like costco. Instead of having 20 dealers working on one dealership, you will have a lot less, just few of them quoting on internet. Look at carsdirect.com, you can get a quote, which sometimes is below invoce (certain cars), no hassle, you just come in, do paper work, and you are done.

------------------------------------------

Special financing available! 2.9% for 36 months and 4.9% for up to 60 months! Call for qualifications. 2008 Models only

We are making room for the new model year and extend to you our aggressive pricing on all 2007 Acura RDX's! Please print out this page and present it to me, Justin Kirkwood, to take advantage of this special offer. All trades welcome! We are looking to make deals.

Special "Internet Only" offer...pricing Expires October 31, 2007. Please call Justin Kirkwood now to schedule an appointment.

Pricing as low as...
2007 Acura RDX Premium: MSRP $33,665 Internet Price $29,941.18
2007 Acura RDX Tech: MSRP $37,165 Internet Price $33,145.35

Special Financing available with rates as low 2.9% for 36 months and 4.9% for upto 60 months. Call for qualifications. 2008 Models only.

2008 Acura RDX Premium: MSRP $33,910 Internet Price $31,475
2008 Acura RDX Tech: MSRP $37,410 Internet Price $34,795

FEATURED SPECIAL LEASE: Closed-end lease for 2008 RDX (Model TB1828JNW) for $399.00 per month for 36 months available to customers who qualify for the AHFC Super Preferred credit tier. Other rates/tiers are available under this offer. $2,999.00 total due at lease signing (does not include tax, license, title, registration, documentation fees, options, insurance and the like). Not all buyers may qualify.
Justin Kirkwood
Internet Sales Manager
Metro Acura
ph. 215.365.7500 x337
cell. 610.585.2549
fx. 215.365.7024
jkirkwood@metroauto.us
www.metroacura.us

Mon. 12-9pm
Tues. 9-9pm
Weds. 9-9pm
Thurs. Appt. Only
Fri. 3-9pm
Sat. 9-5pm

[In order to take advantage of our special internet only pricing you must bring in a copy of you price quote and ask for Justin Kirkwood]

Please reply to this message with a subject line of 'U-N-S-U-B-S-C-R-I-B-E' to stop receiving mass emails
Justin Kirkwood
Internet Sales Manager
Metro Acura of Philadelphia
ph. 215.365.7500 x337
cell. 610.585.2549
fx. 215.365.7024
jkirkwood@metroauto.us
www.metroacura.us

Mon. 12-9pm
Tues. 9-9pm
Weds. 9-9pm
Thurs. Appt. Only
Fri. 3-9pm
Sat. 9-5pm

[In order to take advantage of our special internet only pricing you must bring in a copy of you price quote and ask for Justin Kirkwood]
Old 11-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Just to mention metroacrua, its a completely legit dealership, I know people who bought it there.

Internet quotes are getting more realistic, but they are still way off of what you can do if you are a good negotiator... but its getting better, its only a matter of time before it becomes a truly lowest price a dealer will go.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CL-SSS
Seems like you need to revise your idiotic comment and avert your eyes to #10.
I was extremely nice to the dealer. I can say all of those things in a nice/friendly way. Its all a game, and I know how to play it. I am giving you a summary of what I basically told the dealer, its not my exact words. It was all nice talk and we were both smiling. moron.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by mvwood
is it ok to charge someone a higher price because they are willing to pay more, have little interest in learning things on thier own and will enter into the agreement with eyes open? Absolutely.
There will always be uneducated consumers. They are actually an identifiable demographic. As long as they neglect their own best interests, they will be targeted by aggressive marketing. P.T. Barnum said it best: "There's a sucker born every minute".

Unfortuately auto dealers are still honoring his legacy. I do not have high regard for dealers or the tactics they employ as evidenced in this previous post:

Originally Posted by XLR8R
JJ: You can't handle the truth! (pause) Son, we live in a world that demands profit. That profit must be provided by men with no compunction. Who's gonna do it? You, Mr. CEO? You, Mizz Customer Relations?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for lost customer goodwill and you curse the dealership. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That intimidating salespeople and browbeating customers, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you...drives profit!

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at Continuous Improvement Retreats, you want me driving profit, you need me driving profit!

We use words like "undercoating", "monthly payment", and "fabric protection". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent deceiving auto buyers. You use "em as a punchline!
As much as I disapprove of ruthless dishonesty in marketing, I would not attempt to stop it. The worst examples make it that much easier for the decent ones to be visible.

I believe the only counter to aggressive sales campaigning, is consumer education. In that regard the internet has been a phenomenonally successful tool.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by russianDude
Not true, here is one of the quotes I received directly through email, and if I really wanted - I could have purchased it at listed price. I even spoke with the guy on the phone, I could have placed an order at that time (I got it elsewhere even cheaper). As you can see the price was below MSRP.
Used cars, yes, you will probably need a dealer....

I can vouch that dealers are making deals like this... I got one on my 2008 Tech..

I paid $34,600 (including destination, but before Taxes and license.)

After holdback, the dealer still made about $1,200 on my purchase. Dealers will make deals like this if you ask for them.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 PM
User-approved

There seem to be a lot of emotional discussions here. I've been shopping vehicles, TVs, receivers, cameras, you name it, for myself an others via the Internet for over 10 years. If I get a good deal and service from a local car dealer, I will refer others to them, but it is up to the buyer to negotiate pricing, unless I am specifically asked to negotiate. I'm not one to 'kiss and tell'. The only thing I ask is that the dealer make a fair deal with my referral.

If I find out later that my referral bought and they got a deal no better than someone walking in off the street, I let my disappointment be known and the folks I deal with on a regular basis have learned not to play that game.

I've walked into a local car dealer after getting an Internet price and been laughed off the lot. When I returned with the ride I bought and showed the paperwork, it wasn't to diss them, but to school them for the next time I visited. It works. I simply explain that I'd like to spend my $$ local, but their denial forces me elsewhere - hopefully next time it will be different.

The bottom line is that after the ink dries, the buyer should feel they got a good deal and the seller should feel the same. I've seen prices posted on the check-in thread. Compared to mine, some were higher, others lower. Knowing others paid less doesn't make me feel I got a raw deal. Knowing others paid more, well, yes I did better, but I'm sure they feel the vehicle they drove off the lot was worth the $$ they laid on the table.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Acura Technician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having sold Acuras awhile back, Just do your research with sites like Edmunds.

Once you know the average price in your area plan on paying that. You might beat it by a little, but how much is your time and effort worth.

Most people feel perfectly comfortable about fibbing on how much they paid. Some just have to prove they are better negociators.

The best deal you can get is the one you're happy with, if you buy a car don't look afterwards to see if you could have done better. You won't be happy.

The best saying I remember from selling cars " There's an ass for every seat "
Sometimes that's true.

And NO I do not sell cars anymore, I work on them.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sonomaa
Most people feel perfectly comfortable about fibbing on how much they paid. Some just have to prove they are better negociators.
Hmmm... makes me wonder if we should ask folks to post scans of their deal paperwork to validate their claims...

nah.. we're all adults here.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
With some manufacturers you can get your car directly from the factory, overseas.

Name one that sells cars under $100k.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by MMike1981
I disagree.

The things you fill out on the internet are basically fishing hooks waiting for bait. Those arent legit, they are RSVP cards to get ur body thru the door of the dealership.

If you were 100% set on seeing/ordering/dealing a car through the internet you would buy wholesale through the services of Cosco and the like.

Unless you decide to be the hook instead of the bait.

I've used those for my past 2 purchases to initate contact with multiple regional dealers. Once I got a response, I changed the conversation to what I wanted and then negotiated at my pace and controlled the flow of information & communication.

1st time, I saved more than $4k over the term of payments, compared to what a saleman offered at a dealership. 2nd time saved $3.5k.

In both cases the deal was DONE (car w/options, selling price, DP, Payment, etc) before I even walked into the dealership.

Sure, some of the regional dealers wouldn't bite, but you only need one.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:54 AM
Pro

How do you approach a dealership that you have been going to for the last 5 years? I`ll be in the market for a 07/08 Tech. RDX within the next 60 days. All I want is a good deal. I`ll be a repeat customer. I know this means nothing! I`ve had nothing but the best service from this dealership. Do, I contact the sales manager directly, or go thru the internet sales person? No Spam please! Thanks!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
We do this already, just like the TV sales people do.. Most dealers list this pricing on their website as well as on the rear left hand door of the vehicle.

Look for the part that says MSRP, thats the price, feel free to pay it.

It's the customer who makes it difficult, if you would come in and pay what it says on the sticker it would all be easy. Just like when you order dinner, you pay the price on the menu. Unless you happen to go into a restaurant and try to negotiate to the best price for your meal.
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but I assume you aren't.

Your comparison of negotiating for your supper compared to negotiating for a new car is invalid. Buying a car is a major purchase, as is a house, and both are a negotiation, no matter what the sellers will try to make you believe. and trust me, if I had to pay $100 for a good steak, I would negotiate, or go without.

I have no problem whatsoever with a dealer making a profit....just not on me...there are plenty of morons out there that pay full MSRP, and if you can find them, good for you. I have never paid "sticker" for a car, and hopefully never will.

I suppose we should be glad it's not as bad as the housing market, where people's greed are finally catching up with them.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Acura Technician

I dunno about there being plenty of morons paying msrp. Those are called " lay downs", and I have yet to see one pay msrp on a car that isn't in high demand. The MDX when it 1st came out would sell for sticker, but that changed when the demand for them dropped. The last time I went to a sells seminar a few years ago, they had surveys that said about 93% of Acura customers checked sites like edmunds before coming to the stealership. But expecting them to sell you a car for no profit is just not realistic.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Name one that sells cars under $100k.
Well, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, and Saab for starters.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:35 AM
AZ Community Team

^^

No, that doesn't bypass the dealer network, which AbovePrime implied happened with Overseas Factory Delivery.

- You go to the dealer and negotiate your deal;
- The dealer orders your car;
- The dealer issues you a "certificate" for Factory Pick up;
- After Factory Delivery, you drop the car for shipment;
- The car is shipped to the dealer;
- The dealer "re-preps" the car;
- You pick up the car at the dealer.

My point being, that it is mis-information to claim that Factory Pick will keep you from getting a bad deal or making a negotiating mistake at the dealer. Factory Pick up does NOT take the dealer out of the loop.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Alpha Geek

I dunno about there being plenty of morons paying msrp. Those are called " lay downs", and I have yet to see one pay msrp on a car that isn't in high demand. The MDX when it 1st came out would sell for sticker, but that changed when the demand for them dropped. The last time I went to a sells seminar a few years ago, they had surveys that said about 93% of Acura customers checked sites like edmunds before coming to the stealership. But expecting them to sell you a car for no profit is just not realistic.
If you haven't seen one yet, then you haven't been in the game long.

As far as selling at no profit....even at invoice holdback(yes we know about holdback) gives the dealer a profit.

Face it...all you salesdroids here looking to get an edge and pretend to be our friends..the vast majority of members here at Acurazine see right through you, but please stay, I personally am enjoying getting more ammo to use in my frequent trips to the dealer to buy a new vehicle.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Suzuka Master

yeah, once you are set on a specific car, the dealer is just a middlemen that stands in a way of your transaction, serves no purpose whatsoever....
Old 01-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Acura Technician

Originally Posted by lumpulus
If you haven't seen one yet, then you haven't been in the game long.

As far as selling at no profit....even at invoice holdback(yes we know about holdback) gives the dealer a profit.

Face it...all you salesdroids here looking to get an edge and pretend to be our friends..the vast majority of members here at Acurazine see right through you, but please stay, I personally am enjoying getting more ammo to use in my frequent trips to the dealer to buy a new vehicle.
not to rally drag this on but.......

I sold cars for about a year almost 5 years ago while I was looking for a better job. To call me or reference me as a salesdroid is uncalled for and unwarranted, I am an ASE certified master technician. I don't come here looking for friends and don't care what you think of me. Next time have your facts straight before labeling someone you stereotyping jacka$$.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Alpha Geek

not to rally drag this on but.......

I sold cars for about a year almost 5 years ago while I was looking for a better job. To call me or reference me as a salesdroid is uncalled for and unwarranted, I am an ASE certified master technician. I don't come here looking for friends and don't care what you think of me. Next time have your facts straight before labeling someone you stereotyping jacka$$.
For someone who doesn't care what I think of you, you sure have a "bizarro" way of showing it.

Truth hurt?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Acura Technician

What's Bizare about having self respect? Are you the kind of person that lets people say derogatory things about you with no retort? Again you don't know me and have no business saying anything negative about me. I have done nothing but offer help to people on this forum, you seem to offer negativity on a regular basis.Try looking back on your past comments. I've never tried to sell anyone anything or befriend anyone.
I'm native american, I work on Acuras for a living, I'm 33, I'm married with 2 kids, I'm a veteran of the United States Navy, and I own an '07 RDX Tech.
There's some truth, now unless you have something positive or an apology, don't quote me or refer to me. If you have a response to this send a private message, otherwise I consider the matter closed.
And again sorry for hijacking this thread, I will not continue this here
Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear2Day
How do you approach a dealership that you have been going to for the last 5 years? I`ll be in the market for a 07/08 Tech. RDX within the next 60 days. All I want is a good deal. I`ll be a repeat customer. I know this means nothing! I`ve had nothing but the best service from this dealership. Do, I contact the sales manager directly, or go thru the internet sales person? No Spam please! Thanks!
goto your manager, regardless of salesman, the manager is the one who will be approving your deal in the end. Have a realistic offer around invoice, they should be able to do it if they want to keep your business. Going for service at the purchase dealer is always a plus. Service is where they make the gravy and they should appreciate that.