Terrible MPG!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
With all the less than impressive numbers that you guys have got so far, isn't it ironic that Acura was initially trying to justify this engine (I4 + turbo rather than a V6) for its supposedly economical gas consumption? I had my eye on the RDX before, but this is completely turning me off... if I were to get such gas mileage, I might as well get an MDX.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:01 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
With all the less than impressive numbers that you guys have got so far, isn't it ironic that Acura was initially trying to justify this engine (I4 + turbo rather than a V6) for its supposedly economical gas consumption? I had my eye on the RDX before, but this is completely turning me off... if I were to get such gas mileage, I might as well get an MDX.

That has been one of my major gripes all along. The turbo-4 has a sporty/tech character that probably fits in better with the RDX image, but I don't see a real compelling reason why a V6 wouldn't suffice, especially since the turbo-4 can be a gas guzzler in some cases. I have seen many folks on the internet who are turned off by the turbo-4; either the nonlinear throttle response or the whooshing noises bother them. Me, I like turbos, but I also like peppy V6 engines. I'd be happy either way. A V6 would probably appeal to a wider audience.

I have seen mixed MPG results in my test drives. Today I was seeing 18-24 MPG averages in mixed driving on a test drive, which I consider OK. A few days ago, a different RDX returned 11 MPG on a similar route. Bizarre....
Old 01-02-2007, 07:06 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Is it possible that a V6 might be a little bit heavier than the turbo-4, which could hurt handling?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
Is it possible that a V6 might be a little bit heavier than the turbo-4, which could hurt handling?

That's certainly possible. But the RDX is so porky already, I doubt the additional weight penalty of a V6 would have a major impact. Hard to say.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rbone100
I have 600 miles now on my RDX. I filled it up twice since purchasing it. I am averaging about 10-12 MPG driving to the train station every day. This is about a 5 mile commute. This past weekend I drove to Atlantic City, NJ on the AC Expressway. This is a 59 mile drive. Since my AC trip I have averaged the highest MPG since owning the RDX--14.8! I now need to fill up the tank again. This is horrible gas mileage! 200 miles per tankful.... Come on! I am very easy on the turbo also. While driving to the train station I take note not to rapidly accelerate and NOT use the turbo. I hope I begin to get better MPG the more I drive!
Have you tried taking your foot off the brakes when you drive?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well.. I just got back from Costco. I had my wife and her parents in the car with the entire cargo area completely loaded with food, clothes and other misc. stuff. I expected a sluggishly heavy ride but to my surprise the rdx hauled everything like nothin' It felt like there was no extra weight at all. Drove a few miles back and saw that it didn't hurt mpg at all. Local city mpg was around 17-18.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Advanced

About 220 miles on our RDX and the Trip Computer displays 21.2 MPG - about 80/20 split Highway/City. Very tame driving so far - waiting for that 600 mile break-in .
Old 01-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Instructor

so.... it's a 600 mile break-in and not 1000?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Just burned off my first tank, inlcuding some very spirited driving in the canyons, I got 17.3 MPG.

I'm glad I took some of the previous posts with a grain of salt when considering the purchase of the vehicle, it almost swayed my decision....

Old 01-03-2007, 01:19 AM
10th Gear

I am at 19.8. Half and half. On my second tank. My first tank was 13 overall but i was pushing the turbo all the time.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Animagix
Well.. I just got back from Costco. I had my wife and her parents in the car with the entire cargo area completely loaded with food, clothes and other misc. stuff. I expected a sluggishly heavy ride but to my surprise the rdx hauled everything like nothin' It felt like there was no extra weight at all. Drove a few miles back and saw that it didn't hurt mpg at all. Local city mpg was around 17-18.
That's good to hear. I always experience the sluggish drive in my Rodeo when I have it loaded with 3-4 of my fat friends. It's true, Americans are fat as hell. I have not had a chance to load my RDX with my fat friends yet. One friend is so fat, he makes noise when he breathes. I'm tryin' to help them change their eating life style but it's been hard. I'm amazed at how upset one gets if he can't have his sugar and fat. It's like an addiction.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
Just burned off my first tank, inlcuding some very spirited driving in the canyons, I got 17.3 MPG.

I'm glad I took some of the previous posts with a grain of salt when considering the purchase of the vehicle, it almost swayed my decision....

The problem with statistical samplings is the outliers that confuse an expected value.

Consider Consumer reports recent annual car issue where they rate reliability Very Above, Above, Average, Below, and Very Below...... a very below average rated car may cause you no troubles and a very above car may be problematic.

The word "average" speaks to the "expected value" we have from consuming the data. An interesting thing to note is that with continuous data like MPG the probability of actually "being" average is essentially zero.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SolidState
That's good to hear. I always experience the sluggish drive in my Rodeo when I have it loaded with 3-4 of my fat friends. It's true, Americans are fat as hell. I have not had a chance to load my RDX with my fat friends yet. One friend is so fat, he makes noise when he breathes. I'm tryin' to help them change their eating life style but it's been hard. I'm amazed at how upset one gets if he can't have his sugar and fat. It's like an addiction.
reminds me of that family guy episode where peter gathered all those fat people together in a room and all you heard was heavy ass breathing and wheezing. funny shit.

I'm asian, we don't have many fat friends but there's always one in every group. Usually the low self esteem fella with a couple of cell phones, blackberries and fax machines around his belt.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by econman
The problem with statistical samplings is the outliers that confuse an expected value.

Consider Consumer reports recent annual car issue where they rate reliability Very Above, Above, Average, Below, and Very Below...... a very below average rated car may cause you no troubles and a very above car may be problematic.

The word "average" speaks to the "expected value" we have from consuming the data. An interesting thing to note is that with continuous data like MPG the probability of actually "being" average is essentially zero.
I get your point.

You need to go have lunch with my statistics teacher from college.
You guys can run a regression analysis together !
Old 01-04-2007, 03:29 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SolidState
Yeah, Right. You must have had a good 80 MPH tail wind to get 29mpg. Even at a constant 55MPH I have never seen better than 25-26 MPH.
Must be something =p
Old 01-04-2007, 06:01 AM
Instructor

I get your point.

You need to go have lunch with my statistics teacher from college.
You guys can run a regression analysis together !
LOL

Sorry, can't help it... the way I think. My wife just a few minutes ago asked me something along the lines of "does this new blouse makes me look fat" and my answer was to the effect of "not today."
Old 01-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by c_hunter
That has been one of my major gripes all along. The turbo-4 has a sporty/tech character that probably fits in better with the RDX image, but I don't see a real compelling reason why a V6 wouldn't suffice, especially since the turbo-4 can be a gas guzzler in some cases. I have seen many folks on the internet who are turned off by the turbo-4; either the nonlinear throttle response or the whooshing noises bother them. Me, I like turbos, but I also like peppy V6 engines. I'd be happy either way. A V6 would probably appeal to a wider audience.

I have seen mixed MPG results in my test drives. Today I was seeing 18-24 MPG averages in mixed driving on a test drive, which I consider OK. A few days ago, a different RDX returned 11 MPG on a similar route. Bizarre....
FWIW, my 2006 RL came back with 11-12 the first 400 miles, all city driving, less than 40 mph. On a recent 500 mile trip, I got 25. They say on the RL board it will get better after 2500 miles. I am not really sure of that.

The RL currently has a little over 1000 miles on it, is also a very heavy car, 4000 pounds, about on par with the RDX, but is far more aerodynamic, which lends some credibility to the theory that the I4 turbo is a bit of a gas hog.

I almost bought an RDX a few months ago, then obviously went in a completely different direction.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by econman
LOL

Sorry, can't help it... the way I think. My wife just a few minutes ago asked me something along the lines of "does this new blouse makes me look fat" and my answer was to the effect of "not today."
Wow, you have not been married long !!!!!!!!!!!

The answer to that question is always

Old 01-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Instructor

I take the train to work and drive on weekends. Great for MPG!! =P
Old 01-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Instructor

speaking of which, anyone watch the latest family guy where meg seeked sympathy from brian and he didn't have a positive consoling response?

meg: i'm fag, ugly and no one wants me!
brian: awwwwwww..... meg......
Old 01-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fenris370
I have had my 2007 pearl white Tech RDX for just about 2 months and have put approx. 2,600 miles on it. In the first 1300 miles I averaged 12-12.5 mpg. I brought it back to my dealer, Paragon Acura in Queens, NY and the service manager said to let the engine further "break-in" to 2,500 miles. I am averaging still between 12.5 and 13.1 mpg. With my daily driving I have to fill up my tank evry 3-4 days. Since it is due for servicing, I am bringing the car back again this Monday.

In other forums and published consumer reviews, poor gas mileage seems to be a reocurring issue. One of Acura's main themes for the RDX is the "efficiency of a 4 cylinder with the power of a 6.". My parents are experienceing similiar issues with their 2006 TL. An owner of another TL I know, says she received a notice of a pending class action lawsuit against Acura for this issues with the TL, but since she is not experiencing this, she threw the notice out.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
WAIT TILL YOU HAVE ABOUT 6 -7000 MILES IT WILL INCREASE TO ABOUT 18-19 TOWN 19- 22 HY...KEEP THE FAITH.. DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE TURBO--GOT TO PAY FOR THE KICK IN THE BUT!!!!! ENJOY IT.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by creativeguy
Just a thought here... you guys may not want to be posting your actual VIN numbers on a public board. Aside from the last 5 digits, all the other characters are the same. It would be easy for someone to divine your full VIN, possibly get your name from somewhere, and cause trouble.
MY VIN O863--LOVE IT!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:05 AM

No, here is the right response according to the CarTalk guys:

Wife: does this make me look fat?

Husband: I have seen worse.