Scratches grow before my eyes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratches grow before my eyes!

Okay, I've had my RDX for about 6 weeks, and haven't driven it on large road trips, just around town and to Tampa and back (30m each way). It hasn't been under any extreme conditions, no driving through forests or on the beach <g>.

But every day I seem to see more little scratches. Not deep keying type, but scratches I didn't see before I bought it.

I wonder if it's just because the bloom is a little off the rose, or if there are real changes. I wonder if there was a special wax the dealer used to fill in the scratches? Is there something I should do to protect it?

The dealer offered some special finish for an exorbitant price, and I rejected it. Is there something "special" I can do to stop my baby from getting those fine little lines and scratches and prevent the finish from obviously aging?
Old 08-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Some softcloth car wash can scratch your paint... try touchfree car wash :p
Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Thanks RDX, I subscribe to that theory!

One reason I have a silver car, is that it doesn't require frequent washings. I polish the windows frequently and keep the interior pretty dust-free, but The Florida almost daily downpours keep the exterior pretty clean.

So, I cannot attribute these little scratches to a carwash.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by phineasboggs
Okay, I've had my RDX for about 6 weeks, and haven't driven it on large road trips, just around town and to Tampa and back (30m each way). It hasn't been under any extreme conditions, no driving through forests or on the beach <g>.

But every day I seem to see more little scratches. Not deep keying type, but scratches I didn't see before I bought it.

I wonder if it's just because the bloom is a little off the rose, or if there are real changes. I wonder if there was a special wax the dealer used to fill in the scratches? Is there something I should do to protect it?

The dealer offered some special finish for an exorbitant price, and I rejected it. Is there something "special" I can do to stop my baby from getting those fine little lines and scratches and prevent the finish from obviously aging?
You may want to check out the Wash & Wax sub-forum. I recall someone mentioning that there are a number of products that contain fillers, and as the filler washes away, the scratches re-appear.

There seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people frequenting that part of Acurazine, and they will likely be able to help you out. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
acuras spray polish covers many minor paint imperfections & scratches. They lather all their cars with it when they prep for delivery. My best guess is that your prep finish/spray wax/recon is or has worn off since they got the car ready for you and you are seeing the paint in its true form.

what ever they offered you for a price my dealer gave me for free cuz i asked what the guy was using allllllll over my car and they gave me his bottle. I have the can in my garage. They also, at least they used to, give you on purchase the 'car care kit' box which contained glass cleaner, vinyl protectant, and a bottle of almost the same 'spray polish' as they use in service. Covers scratches pretty well, but obviously wears off really quick.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:08 PM
big shot.

i also recommend a pro giving your car a full in and out detail 2x's a year. Even once will help. It will protect it over the long term and guard against imperfections. i have almost 36k on mine and it looks the same as mile one. A nice layer of protectant, wax and seal will serve you well over ownership.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
i also recommend a pro giving your car a full in and out detail 2x's a year. Even once will help. It will protect it over the long term and guard against imperfections. i have almost 36k on mine and it looks the same as mile one. A nice layer of protectant, wax and seal will serve you well over ownership.
Mike - I live in Boston. Where do you get your car detailed? I've thought about this but never feel like any place will do a better job than me (but then again it's my time I'm losing).
Old 08-06-2010, 03:01 PM
big shot.

are you willing to drive outside of boston, i have some real serious guys who will turn your RDX into brand new....PM me when u see this, and by outside of boston not far at all
Old 08-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Now THERE'S a thought. My brother lives in Natick (I think there's an Acura dealer a few blocks away on Route 9), and sometimes I drive up there . . . but probably not soon.

Mike, my car looks absolutely terrific IMO, and it was so perfect looking that now I'm aware of every hair like scratch. But if I drive up, I will definitely contact you. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phineasboggs
Now THERE'S a thought. My brother lives in Natick (I think there's an Acura dealer a few blocks away on Route 9), and sometimes I drive up there . . . but probably not soon.

Mike, my car looks absolutely terrific IMO, and it was so perfect looking that now I'm aware of every hair like scratch. But if I drive up, I will definitely contact you. Thanks.

Phineasboggs - That's the same dealer I got my car and get it serviced it. They're really good and offer detail service but again I'm just not convinced they would do a better job then me as I know they're interest is churning out more cars to get more money.

MMike - I PM'd you earlier today. Let me know if you didn't get it.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
acuras spray polish covers many minor paint imperfections & scratches. They lather all their cars with it when they prep for delivery. My best guess is that your prep finish/spray wax/recon is or has worn off since they got the car ready for you and you are seeing the paint in its true form.

what ever they offered you for a price my dealer gave me for free cuz i asked what the guy was using allllllll over my car and they gave me his bottle. I have the can in my garage. They also, at least they used to, give you on purchase the 'car care kit' box which contained glass cleaner, vinyl protectant, and a bottle of almost the same 'spray polish' as they use in service. Covers scratches pretty well, but obviously wears off really quick.
Ahhh! That does explain it. That's what I wanted to know! I wondered if there was something special that wore off in 6 weeks. No wonder the dealer wanted to offer me a new protectant at something like $7-800!

I know this isn't the wash n'wax forum, but is what is that stuff called? And, could I buy it or have it done somewhere together with a detailing? Or is there actually a finish that costs less than the dealer price, that will well protect the car. I won't be doing it myself, but I'd like to know what.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
if you get the car professionally detailed by a competent detailer it should look as good as new
Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM
big shot.

hey guys, check your PMs soon, i was away for a while w/o internet sorry for the delay
Old 08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
big shot.

and yes...if they 'really' gave it a pro detail before you bought, which who knows if they did, it should restore the finish and integrity pretty well to as good as new. from the sounds of it, seems like they just did the whole thing up with a liquid spot touch up