RDX for wife, ??? for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011 | 11:55 PM
Advanced

RDX for wife, ??? for me?

We currently own a 2010 RDX and save for a door ding , love the reliability (knock on wood 3x) and handling abilities of the vehicle. Body/Paint seems to be a bit on the soft side to absorb these door dings but each model has their weaknesses. Unfortunately, with baby on the way, plus more hectic work sked, two vehicles are becoming more a necessity.

So, the plan is to "bequeath" the RDX to wife. For guys who had the same "dilemma", what did you get as your own vehicle? MDX? TSX? TL? I'd like my own to be as reliable and fun to drive as the RDX. It doesnt make sense to buy another RDX now but waiting for 2013 is too long for the new model "RDX" (or whatever it will be called). Seems like ppl in this forum had mentioned that MDX is too "boaty", TL is not "aesthetically pleasing" and TSX is prolly the closest to the RDX?

Appreciate any inputs for those who own more than 1 model of Acura. Thank you
Old 03-12-2011 | 11:56 PM
Advanced

* just a clarification: dont get me wrong, baby on the way is great news... hectic work sked = unfortunate as we need to spend on another vehicle instead of sharing the RDX
Old 03-13-2011 | 01:22 AM
Advanced

I think you need to look at what is going to work for YOU (# seats, capabilities, gas mileage, etc.).

We have an 09 RDX Tech for the wife and my in-laws have an 06 TL that they want to trade on a 2011 TL. They keep trying to get me to buy it and I probably would (33K, all the maintenance records, great gas mileage, love the look), but I need something that hauls more than 5 and will tow 6000lbs (I have a tinker toy to haul every once in a while).

I have a Mercury Mountaineer with the V8 and all the goodies that fits the bill and by picking it up 1 year old, I got a 42K vehicle for a little over half price. I couldn't touch an MDX for that and the money I save will help with other projects.
Old 03-13-2011 | 09:35 AM
Advanced

thanks jbillakdsm. yes interesting choice youve made. we'd say reliability is tops in priority and a car that is "enjoyable" to drive. will test drive these three when rdx goes in for maintenance since i take the vehicle to service myself.
Old 03-13-2011 | 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by valleverde007
we currently own a 2010 rdx and save for a door ding , love the reliability (knock on wood 3x) and handling abilities of the vehicle. Body/paint seems to be a bit on the soft side to absorb these door dings but each model has their weaknesses. Unfortunately, with baby on the way, plus more hectic work sked, two vehicles are becoming more a necessity.

So, the plan is to "bequeath" the rdx to wife. For guys who had the same "dilemma", what did you get as your own vehicle? Mdx? Tsx? Tl? I'd like my own to be as reliable and fun to drive as the rdx. It doesnt make sense to buy another rdx now but waiting for 2013 is too long for the new model "rdx" (or whatever it will be called). Seems like ppl in this forum had mentioned that mdx is too "boaty", tl is not "aesthetically pleasing" and tsx is prolly the closest to the rdx?

Appreciate any inputs for those who own more than 1 model of acura. Thank you
tl TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL TL<ttttttllllll

Originally Posted by jbillakdsm
i think you need to look at what is going to work for you (# seats, capabilities, gas mileage, etc.).

We have an 09 rdx tech for the wife and my in-laws have an 06 tl that they want to trade on a 2011 tl. They keep trying to get me to buy it and i probably would (33k, all the maintenance records, great gas mileage, love the look), but i need something that hauls more than 5 and will tow 6000lbs (i have a tinker toy to haul every once in a while).

I have a mercury mountaineer with the v8 and all the goodies that fits the bill and by picking it up 1 year old, i got a 42k vehicle for a little over half price. I couldn't touch an mdx for that and the money i save will help with other projects.
^bmw x6^
Old 03-13-2011 | 11:28 AM
mrgold35

I have a 08 RDX for the wife and I have a 06 TSX for my family of 3. The RDX will be perfect for the wife and hauling the baby stuff around. The TSX will be a tighter fit for the car seat and other baby stuff; but, it will fit. We started out with two Honda Accords when he was a baby and upgraded to the TSX/RDX. My son is 13 now and he is starting to grow like a weed. I'm going to keep the TSX for him when he starts to drive and get a MDX in the next 24-36 months (depending on how the all new MDX looks).

So far, the TSX and RDX have been perfect for our family. I would look at first gen TSXs (06-08) and 2nd gen TSXs. Depending on sales, you might get a good deal on the new TSX wagon.
Old 03-14-2011 | 08:35 AM
Advanced

thanks mr gold and mr marco. if you guys were to evaluate build quality, is the TSX better "built" than the TL? ive read a bit more on the forums and seems like TSX > TL in terms of "build". (what does build mean? based on my read, seems like the TSX has been made tighter, sturdier. no idea if this is a made in japan vs made in ohio thing).
Old 03-14-2011 | 08:53 AM
Pro

it's all a matter of preference ..maybe i have a bias because i own one but i don't see what it is that people don't like the new TL i think it looks hot and that body style will stand the test of time just as the 3rd generation still does years later ..it depends on what you want and like all of the cars by acura are pretty reliable ..i mean every car has it's issues in time no matter what you get ..but acura's are pretty reliable..as in another thread i explained if you are looking for back in the day reliability your rarely going to receive that because they do not make vehicles like they used to ..but over all if you maintain youre car as you should you really shouldnt have to many issues with a honda product ...
Old 03-14-2011 | 08:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
it's all a matter of preference ..maybe i have a bias because i own one but i don't see what it is that people don't like the new TL i think it looks hot and that body style will stand the test of time just as the 3rd generation still does years later ..it depends on what you want and like all of the cars by acura are pretty reliable ..i mean every car has it's issues in time no matter what you get ..but acura's are pretty reliable..as in another thread i explained if you are looking for back in the day reliability your rarely going to receive that because they do not make vehicles like they used to ..but over all if you maintain youre car as you should you really shouldnt have to many issues with a honda product ...
ic. thanks triumph. i guess the easiest thing to do (for me) is picture myself 3-5 yrs down the road and see what the needs are (i intend to purchase the vehicle and hold cars normally for 8 yrs or longer, esp if reliable). 3-5 yrs could mean 2 car seats plus 2 adults. will have to think about that some more but i guess in general, acuras still > germans (though the bmw x3 looks interesting too to complement our rdx).
Old 03-14-2011 | 08:57 AM
Advanced

*acuras > german vehicles in reliability (my previous post sounded funny)
Old 03-14-2011 | 09:22 AM
mrgold35

I think the build quality of the TSX is a little higher because the TSX body style (and 2.4L engine) was sold worldwide in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia (not sure about South America). There were plenty of versions out there driving in varied driving conditions they accounted for in a very short amount of time. The TSX was rock solid by the 06 model year.

I haven’t been able to find if the TL is sold anywhere else other than North America. The TL is an excellent vehicle; but, I don’t think it has the same level of engineering quality like the TSX platform. It shows because the TSX has lower depreciation rate compared to other Acura vehicles.
Old 03-14-2011 | 03:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I think the build quality of the TSX is a little higher because the TSX body style (and 2.4L engine) was sold worldwide in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia (not sure about South America). There were plenty of versions out there driving in varied driving conditions they accounted for in a very short amount of time. The TSX was rock solid by the 06 model year.

I haven’t been able to find if the TL is sold anywhere else other than North America. The TL is an excellent vehicle; but, I don’t think it has the same level of engineering quality like the TSX platform. It shows because the TSX has lower depreciation rate compared to other Acura vehicles.
interesting thought and observation mr gold. how i wish the tsx came with sh-awd. but then again, it would have made the vehicle heavier and more expensive.
Old 03-14-2011 | 04:11 PM
Pro

Dont you wanna try lexus? They are very reliable also and high resale value... :p
Old 03-14-2011 | 06:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by R*D*X*
Dont you wanna try lexus? They are very reliable also and high resale value... :p
nope, long story short, ive had bad luck in toyotas/lexus' - not just me, my family too actually...
Old 03-15-2011 | 02:07 AM
Intermediate

since i own a 07 rdxand enjoy it so much, my opinion is to get the wifey a honda crv and keep the rdx for yourself get the hondata reflash and you will enjoy it even more!

We currently own a 2010 RDX and save for a door ding , love the reliability (knock on wood 3x) and handling abilities of the vehicle. Body/Paint seems to be a bit on the soft side to absorb these door dings but each model has their weaknesses. Unfortunately, with baby on the way, plus more hectic work sked, two vehicles are becoming more a necessity.

So, the plan is to "bequeath" the RDX to wife. For guys who had the same "dilemma", what did you get as your own vehicle? MDX? TSX? TL? I'd like my own to be as reliable and fun to drive as the RDX. It doesnt make sense to buy another RDX now but waiting for 2013 is too long for the new model "RDX" (or whatever it will be called). Seems like ppl in this forum had mentioned that MDX is too "boaty", TL is not "aesthetically pleasing" and TSX is prolly the closest to the RDX?

Appreciate any inputs for those who own more than 1 model of Acura. Thank you
Old 03-15-2011 | 01:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by noodle4rdx
since i own a 07 rdxand enjoy it so much, my opinion is to get the wifey a honda crv and keep the rdx for yourself get the hondata reflash and you will enjoy it even more!
better yet, get myself a new RDX and bequeath the old one to wife? .
Old 03-15-2011 | 02:50 PM
Cruisin'

Why not look into the new tsx wagon. Saw one the other day they look pretty sharp.
Old 03-16-2011 | 05:15 AM
Intermediate

better yet, get myself a new RDX and bequeath the old one to wife? .
Go for it!!!
Old 03-16-2011 | 12:23 PM
Advanced

thanks! sort of a noob question but well worth asking: how come the RDX does feel more zippy than even the 6 banger GLK? is it because of the turbo + lighter engine? ive test driven other cars too that are smaller but with decent sized engines eg. Audi A3, it still ISNT as zippy as the rdx...
Old 03-16-2011 | 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

^I don't want to sound discriminatory, but...

It's a Honda thing.
Old 03-17-2011 | 01:08 AM
Intermediate

Mr Marco is right, it's a Honda thing. The vtec engine the turbo design gives you almost instant turbo boost with minimum turbo lag.
and if you appreciate the the zippyness please look into getting the Hondata reflash, i just had mine done and it really kicks it up a notch.
many of the rdx owners here have done it and have nothing but great things to say about it. do the research and giterdone
thanks! sort of a noob question but well worth asking: how come the RDX does feel more zippy than even the 6 banger GLK? is it because of the turbo + lighter engine? ive test driven other cars too that are smaller but with decent sized engines eg. Audi A3, it still ISNT as zippy as the rdx...
Old 03-17-2011 | 01:23 PM
Advanced

thanks. will look into that. though quite honestly im fine with stock rdx. addtl questions on the reflash:
a) will that compromise engine/turbo longetivity? (eg. more stress = shorter engine life)
b) will that affect warranty?
Old 03-18-2011 | 03:23 AM
Intermediate

all depends on how you drive it. i use the extra power only when needed and once in a while i like to show it off and get on it. but on a daily basis, i drive it so i get better fuel economy. before i had the reflash done, when i filled the tank it resets the gas mpg's and i use to get 21-22 mpg's hwy now i can reach 25.5 mpg hwy. i was pretty surprised that it broke through 23. so the mod really works for both power and fuel economy. but again all depends on how you drive it.

on the downside as stated on hondata's website the warranty can be affected by increasing engine rev limits.
but it you check in the performance section of this forum everybody who has done it, will reccomend it. so if you are worried about having warrranty problems maybe just leave it alone. but the guys at hondata really made a nice mod to the ECU which isn't overboard where it will burnout your engine but it is a noticable difference to make it worth your 295.00 investment.
so whatever you decide on enjoy the ride!

thanks. will look into that. though quite honestly im fine with stock rdx. addtl questions on the reflash:
a) will that compromise engine/turbo longetivity? (eg. more stress = shorter engine life)
b) will that affect warranty?
Old 03-18-2011 | 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by noodle4rdx
all depends on how you drive it. i use the extra power only when needed and once in a while i like to show it off and get on it. but on a daily basis, i drive it so i get better fuel economy. before i had the reflash done, when i filled the tank it resets the gas mpg's and i use to get 21-22 mpg's hwy now i can reach 25.5 mpg hwy. i was pretty surprised that it broke through 23. so the mod really works for both power and fuel economy. but again all depends on how you drive it.

on the downside as stated on hondata's website the warranty can be affected by increasing engine rev limits.
but it you check in the performance section of this forum everybody who has done it, will reccomend it. so if you are worried about having warrranty problems maybe just leave it alone. but the guys at hondata really made a nice mod to the ECU which isn't overboard where it will burnout your engine but it is a noticable difference to make it worth your 295.00 investment.
so whatever you decide on enjoy the ride!
Wow! great mpg. If you do the math, the re-flash pays for itself in the first year.
Old 03-19-2011 | 02:10 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Wow! great mpg. If you do the math, the re-flash pays for itself in the first year.
i can achieve this because i work nights, so when i drive home there is no traffic. i put the car on cruise control at 60mph for 30 miles and it;s mostly down sloped or level a couple of uphills. so when i reached that mark i was reall pleasantly surprised. and i stretched a longer time frame in which i refilled the tank so for sure it is saving me money on gas.
but of course every once in a while i hit that boost just for some thrills as we all enjoy
Old 03-20-2011 | 02:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

for highway cruising i would recommend the 190hp accord coupe 5-speed manual. its got pep and it is perhaps the most reliable machine ever built. it will also give you 30mpg regular gas. its also fun to drive and has a refined ride. passing is a breeze just drop to 3rd gear and you will forget the fact that there is a 4banger under the hood. The k24 engine is muted while cruising and has a sporty snarl under acceleration. the tranny is bullet proof and will improve your mileage and acceleration. oh and its a coupe!