RDX vs. 2009 Murano

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
1. when u have money....you can waste it
2. the day i envy an outlook is the day im in a wheelchair.
dude
Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the guy comes on here, preaching, out of anything, his SATURN is the balls, and that I wasted MY money.

please.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:00 PM
big shot.

sorry i was aggrevated earlier.....but in hindsite, someone's spent money will always be wasted money to someone else
Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry i was aggrevated earlier.....but in hindsite, someone's spent money will always be wasted money to someone else
Its not like you were really all that hostile and you do have a point. What is the point of coming to an Acura enthusiast website and then trying to convince everybody that another car company makes a better vehicle (no offense meant to thePlainsmen)? Its like going to a Boston Red Sox fansite and then trying to convince them all the Yankees are better.

The only that suff gets tolerated here as long as it does is because you guys are such a balanced and informed group of posters. A poster doing that at a BMW site or something like that would get flamed to no end.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the guy comes on here, preaching, out of anything, his SATURN is the balls, and that I wasted MY money.

please.

I am with you MMike. SATURN??? this car company still exist??? I barely see 1 on the road here in New York. As for the FX thing, I just like the engine sound.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
What is the point of coming to an Acura enthusiast website and then trying to convince everybody that another car company makes a better vehicle (no offense meant to thePlainsmen)?

The only that suff gets tolerated here as long as it does is because you guys are such a balanced and informed group of posters. A poster doing that at a BMW site or something like that would get flamed to no end.
In fairness to the Plainsman, he does own an RDX which grants him an audience here. (Unlike the infamous AbovePri...I can't say it, what if like BeetleJuice, it brings him?)

The reasons that he believes the FX35 suits him better, or is superior to the RDX, should at least be evaluated on their merit.

I personally would give greater consideration to someone who objectively compares vehicles, than someone who reflexively defends their Acura purchase.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by XLR8R
In fairness to the Plainsman, he does own an RDX which grants him an audience here. (Unlike the infamous AbovePri...I can't say it, what if like BeetleJuice, it brings him?)

The reasons that he believes the FX35 suits him better, or is superior to the RDX, should at least be evaluated on their merit.

I personally would give greater consideration to someone who objectively compares vehicles, than someone who reflexively defends their Acura purchase.
That doesn't bother me one bit - to each his own. It was just the way that post was written that was a bit ridiculous. If Plainsman likes Saturns and Infinitis, that's fine with me.

(I had a Saturn once upon a time)
Old 03-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Instructor

I appreciate your consideration. I've never said I thought the FX35 suited me better. I did say it had different qualities, which I kind of find attractive when thinking ahead to my next possible purchase. It's more luxurious than the RDX, for one thing. Of course, that's just my opinion.

But I love my RDX because it's fast, and, well, because it's fast. And the Super-handling AWD is amazing in the rain. I found that out again yesterday. This is the best AWD system out there and puts the one in my Saturn Outlook to shame.

But the Saturn haters on this board got their knickers in a twist simply because I indicated several more upscale features in my Saturn that are lacking in my RDX. They reacted as if I was a heretic or something, as if it were impossible that a Saturn could be more upscale than an Acura. I remember when Toyotas and Hondas were considered cheap pieces of junk. Time, innovation and smart business decisions change things. The entire Saturn line has been redone. The old plastic-bodied pieces of crap that I wouldn't even spit on before are gone.

Besides, lots of SUVs have features the RDX lacks. Accept it. It doesn't make the RDX or the Acura brand any less prestigious.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still liked the idea of plastic doors. They got made fun off, but door dings and knicks suck.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:28 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

+1+1
haha be careful he might come back if you say his name three times!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Its not like you were really all that hostile and you do have a point. What is the point of coming to an Acura enthusiast website and then trying to convince everybody that another car company makes a better vehicle (no offense meant to thePlainsmen)? Its like going to a Boston Red Sox fansite and then trying to convince them all the Yankees are better.
Except in this case it's a like a Kansas City Royals fan trying to convince the Sox fan that they are better.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:41 AM
big shot.

PLainsman...when u came on here about your Saturn.........no one HAS or will ever BE jealous of anything about that truck. i dunno where u got the notion that the board or members on the board went up in arms over the "features" that u spent 40k on, on an american plastic bin. no one ever cared in the first place. features dont cover a garbage drive train and awful driving experience. not to mention lack of fit/finish quality etc.

you injected the american brand comment into this pretty good comparison thread.

u need to let it go, and join a saturn board (are there any?) and stop acting like we r jealous and or envious, lol. i realize u have an RDX...... good, but your comparison talk and reasoning make absolutely no sense...it may make sense to YOU, and thats fine, just like you thought my purchase of a FX45 was a waste (even tho i bought it for hte price of a 35) but dont push ur logic around on other people. no one will see your point about a feature laden trash heap of a Saturn Outlook vs an MDX and so forth. thats like telling a Benz owner that the hyundai you just bought is a better car. apples arent apples here.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

thats like telling a Benz owner that the hyundai you just bought is a better car. apples arent apples here
Not to be too contrary Mike, but perhaps that's not the best example. Mercedes has atrocious reliability, the worst in the industry.

If I drove a Hyundai, I think I'd have a struggle not to feel superior to poor sap Mercedes buyers, on value per dollar alone.

As I drive a more expensive Acura, I still feel for MB drivers, even in all their aloofness.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 PM
big shot.

reliability aside, benz makes routinely high scoring, high stat, top tested vehicles across the board. at benz price levels like a moderate E-350 or an S class, reliability isnt exactly at the top of the concerns list when ur buying into the Star.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread needs to die.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oasis3582
This thread needs to die.
not to die, but better yet to return to the original topic. Let me try and help:

The RDX is Better than the Murano because it never had any recalls. lets start from there...?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by VeNeNo
not to die, but better yet to return to the original topic. Let me try and help:

The RDX is Better than the Murano because it never had any recalls. lets start from there...?
RDX has not had any recalls YET. But, many Acura products have. I don't hold recalls against the car.

The real reason I'd prefer the RDX to the Murano is that it is smaller and has better visability.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
RDX is better on all aspect except for the engine. I do believe that Muranos v6 engine is better than RDX 4 cylinder engine.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Its like going to a Boston Red Sox fansite and then trying to convince them all the Yankees are better.
Originally Posted by sl_33
Except in this case it's a like a Kansas City Royals fan trying to convince the Sox fan that they are better.
How about the older Ford Taurus I saw plastered with Phila Flyers stickers?

Taurus? Flyers?

At least he's consistent with his low expectations and capacity for disappointment!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R*D*X*
RDX is better on all aspect except for the engine. I do believe that Muranos v6 engine is better than RDX 4 cylinder engine.
Except for that terrible hoarse frog sound that the VQ makes. Can't stand it.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brizey

I have a VQ engine, 3.5Liter V6 Altima. I love the engine sound!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I had the 3.5 in my Pathfinder as well. I have to say it is a good engine and was a great suv but it was a shame what horrible dealer service did to it.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Not an Ashtray

I just got back from test driving the Murano. Can't say I know what you are talking about. Engine was smooth and quiet. Could barely tell it was running.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Instructor

PLainsman...when u came on here about your Saturn.........no one HAS or will ever BE jealous of anything about that truck. i dunno where u got the notion that the board or members on the board went up in arms over the "features" that u spent 40k on, on an american plastic bin. no one ever cared in the first place. features dont cover a garbage drive train and awful driving experience. not to mention lack of fit/finish quality etc.

you injected the american brand comment into this pretty good comparison thread.

u need to let it go, and join a saturn board (are there any?) and stop acting like we r jealous and or envious, lol. i realize u have an RDX...... good, but your comparison talk and reasoning make absolutely no sense...it may make sense to YOU, and thats fine, just like you thought my purchase of a FX45 was a waste (even tho i bought it for hte price of a 35) but dont push ur logic around on other people. no one will see your point about a feature laden trash heap of a Saturn Outlook vs an MDX and so forth. thats like telling a Benz owner that the hyundai you just bought is a better car. apples arent apples here.
Everyone isn't jealous, just you. BTW, both Saturn and Hyundai are better quality than MB. The Germans are known for making fast, sturdy, great handling cars. However, in the quality-reliability department they can't even come close to Buick.

Yes, there is a Saturn board. A very good one. When I'm on the Saturn board I tell them about my great RDX. There is a guy over there just like you. He can't stand it when I extol the virtues of my Acura on the Saturn board.

As to the subject of this thread, I love Nissans. I own one, although it is not a Murano. I didn't buy one because I hated the CVT, so I "settled" for an RDX Tech.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got back from test driving the Murano. Can't say I know what you are talking about. Engine was smooth and quiet. Could barely tell it was running.
I actually just test drove the RDX Tech and LE Murano yesterday. I will say the CVT engine in the Murano was very nice. It was quiet, smooth, and had plenty of acceleration in my mind. I thought the interior was nice and the added features (i.e. auto on/off, power passenger, keyless ignition, etc.) were very nice.

BUT, then my wife and I immediately went to test drive the RDX Tech. We get into the car and my wife says "I know you get more for your money in the Nissan (feature wise) but 'this is a luxury car'" I told her about some of the differences with the engine, suspension, bucket seats in front, etc...of which none really bothered her. She LOVED the voice-activation in the RDX which we know the Murano has but she just liked it better in the RDX.

The salesman allowed me to open it up. We were turning onto a part of Route 9 in Framingham which was only 45mph and he said, "This is where you can turn it on. You can easily get it to 70 here." Enough said, I turned the corner and woke the beast. Noticed a minor amount of turbo lag but this is my first turbo so I have nothing to really compare it to. It was nice!!!

So I think I'm sold. I wanted my wife's opinion as well as she'll be driving it now and then. Now I just need to get the best deal.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
Yes, there is a Saturn board. A very good one. When I'm on the Saturn board I tell them about my great RDX. There is a guy over there just like you. He can't stand it when I extol the virtues of my Acura on the Saturn board.
Which proves the point exactly. Why would that guy want to hear about a smaller car that goes faster, has less features, and costs less? It's like a guy who goes shopping for an F-350 and you're trying to tell him how great a Miata is.

They are totally different vehicles designed for different purposes for different people with different desires in value and quality.

Do both these vehicles have their place on the road? Absolutely.

Do most RDX owners care about anything that Saturn has to offer. No.

Is everyone getting tired of hearing about how wonderful the Outlook is even though 99% of people on this board would NEVER consider buying one no matter how perfect they are? YES!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by sl_33
Which proves the point exactly. Why would that guy want to hear about a smaller car that goes faster, has less features, and costs less? It's like a guy who goes shopping for an F-350 and you're trying to tell him how great a Miata is.

They are totally different vehicles designed for different purposes for different people with different desires in value and quality.

Do both these vehicles have their place on the road? Absolutely.

Do most RDX owners care about anything that Saturn has to offer. No.

Is everyone getting tired of hearing about how wonderful the Outlook is even though 99% of people on this board would NEVER consider buying one no matter how perfect they are? YES!!!
I agree with you. The discussion about the Outlook is pointless because nobody on this board has even a vague interest in buying one. So, why keep bringing it up?

On the other hand, having driven both the Murano and RDX this weekend, I do see them as close competition. The size difference is actually not as great as it is made out to be (virtually the same width, Murano only about six inches longer) and both are sport SUVs.

My view is that the Murano is the slightly better buy - because of the drivetrain. I personally think the the smaller size and better visability might make the RDX a bit easier to live with though. So, in this class, that is the direction I'd go.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:11 AM
Safety Car

It is not just the Murano's CVT that lacks a performance feel.

I just saw the new Murano review in Car and Driver (not sure...might have been R&T). On their testing specs page there are 3 choices for rating understeer...the Murano's understeer was rated EXCESSIVE.
I went back and checked. It is Car&Driver, and the understeer is excessive.

Then there's this:

Car&Driver: It hardly drives as sportingly as the CX-7,
...which takes it out of the RDX handling class.

Finally, the vis must be quite limited around those D pillars.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 AM
big shot.

Everyone isn't jealous, just you.
wow.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Not an Ashtray

I went back and checked. It is Car&Driver, and the understeer is excessive.

Then there's this:

...which takes it out of the RDX handling class.

Finally, the vis must be quite limited around those D pillars.
The steering/handling was unimpressive. No road feel at all and lots of understeer. So, not it is not in the RDX's class handling wise. Ride is a lot nicer though and the engine and tranny are smooth as butter.

The visability around the pillars was ridiculous. Huge gaping blind spot. But, the rear window is not hard to see out of - a big improvement over the last version.

I think the Murano is pretty impressive. The RDX just feels a lot easier to live with though. The size difference is not great, but somehow the RDX feels small and manuverable to me.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

I meant the sound from a G35 coupe or 350Z. I am sure it is completely muffled in a vehicle like the Murano.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Instructor

I agree with you. The discussion about the Outlook is pointless because nobody on this board has even a vague interest in buying one. So, why keep bringing it up?

How do you know what other people on this board have an interest in buying? Are you the spokesperson? If people can post comments ad nauseum about Infinitis and Nissans, what is verboten about Saturns? Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they aren't worth discussing for comparison purposes, as we do with several other brands. I think you've been shaken over the fact that in some very positive ways Saturn has passed Acura. As an owner of both, I can attest to that much more accurately than most on this board.

If you want to compare within class then let's see how the RDX stacks up to the totally new Saturn Vue. FYI, it's not even made by Saturn. The Germans make it. But you didn't know that. All Saturn did was slap on their nameplate. The new Redline is wicked. 250 HP.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ine_auto_shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVu9o_l2K2U
Old 03-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Pro

Which Companies make the best car!!!

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c..._best_cars.htm

Most Reliable Cars

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...view/index.htm

Saturn exterior looks ok but the quality and reliability is not as famous as Honda and Subaru!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Not an Ashtray

How do you know what other people on this board have an interest in buying? Are you the spokesperson? If people can post comments ad nauseum about Infinitis and Nissans, what is verboten about Saturns? Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they aren't worth discussing for comparison purposes, as we do with several other brands. I think you've been shaken over the fact that in some very positive ways Saturn has passed Acura. As an owner of both, I can attest to that much more accurately than most on this board.

If you want to compare within class then let's see how the RDX stacks up to the totally new Saturn Vue. FYI, it's not even made by Saturn. The Germans make it. But you didn't know that. All Saturn did was slap on their nameplate. The new Redline is wicked. 250 HP.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ine_auto_shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVu9o_l2K2U
I'm not even going to argue with you about what other's want here. The point is that this is a Murano vs. RDX thread, not RDX vs. Outlook, RDX vs. Vue. Most of us are actually participating in this thread, because we are interested in the topic. Like many visitors to this board, I'm still trying to make a choice and these are two vehicles I've looked at. It would be great if we could all discuss the Murano and RDX without you constantly trying to sidetrack the thread to discussions of how wonderful your Saturn Outlook might be.

And, btw, just because you are presenting yourself as a know-it-all, I'll have to point out that the Vue was not entirely engineered by Opel. In fact, Daewoo, GM's South Korean partner, had a large hand in it.

Final point is that I think you'd find that nobody here is "shaken over" Saturn being better than Acura. Nor is anbody "jealous" of your Saturn, as you claim above. In fact, like most of the other posters here I COULDN'T GIVIN A FIG ABOUT SATURN. I don't care if you personally think it is a better car. I don't care about the Vue, the Outlook, or how wonderful you think Saturn vehicles might be. I haven't even a vague hint of an interest in comparing Acura to Saturn as brand, etc. All that is 100% irrelevant to the thread.

Its not that any of us are somehow threatened by Saturn. We simply don't care and have no interest whatsoever in that brand. If you want to discuss your Outlook, and how it compares to the RDX, by all means go start a new thread. You'll probably get about zero hits in it, but that isn't my problem.

In the meantime, since this thread is about the Murano, not Saturns, let's get back on topic.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Not an Ashtray

I meant the sound from a G35 coupe or 350Z. I am sure it is completely muffled in a vehicle like the Murano.
Its a reasonable point. The VQ35 in the Infiniti products is tuned differently than the corresponding engine in the Murano/Altima. So, it could be a lost more noisey.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Pro

Pay attention to quality ratings

Saturn> http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Saturn/...08/SUV/ratings
RDX > http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Acura/RDX/2008/SUV/ratings
Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Pro

90 % here loved RDX over murano... its time to see how murano's lover what to say about RDX vs Murano

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/s...threadid=10726
Old 03-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R*D*X*
90 % here loved RDX over murano... its time to see how murano's lover what to say about RDX vs Murano

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/s...threadid=10726
Interesting that they like the power train in the Murano. The RDX walks all over it performance-wise despite similar weights. The RDX is within a wisker as fast as a freaking VW R32 (including handling marks!!) and people complain about the power because 4 cylinders is less cylinders than 6 cylinders. Cripes, this ain't a Ford vs. Chevy debate. I saw the Murano at the car show this weekend, and I have to say, the interior is nice. Every time I see someone complain about something goofy like power tailgates I give thanks that Honda made one for people like me. I like cool technology, not warmed over 1979 Eldorado technology.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Safety Car

The steering/handling was unimpressive. No road feel at all and lots of understeer. So, not it is not in the RDX's class handling wise. Ride is a lot nicer though and the engine and tranny are smooth as butter.
The Evo/STi-like ride of the RDX is just something one has to be willing to compromise on for the quick steering and flat handling.

My wife initially was not fond of the flinty ride, and her mom complained about riding in it. (Her mom drives a Buick Lucerne, 'nuff said.)

However, the RDX is turning my wife into an enthusiast. She increasingly cannot stand driving her mom's wallowing Lucerne, and insists on taking the RDX when they go shopping.

Now I hear about some corner she particularly enjoys -- or how she dusted some other lady in a V8 Grand Cherokee -- geez, competitive women.

Should I be worried?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 AM
big shot.

thats awesome

Quick Reply: RDX vs. 2009 Murano