RDX vs. 2009 Murano

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RDX vs. 2009 Murano

I had an 2008 RDX (RBP w/Ebony and Tech) which was badly damaged in an accident on 2-20-08. I was turning left with a green arrow and the other car ran the red light. Hit me, spun the RDX and I ended up driving into a wall at 25 mph. It was either that or a light pole - I think I made the right choice. I have some major bumps and bruises and some other internal issues, but I fear the mighty RDX is totalled - this to be confirmed this week. (I would post photos, but I fear it would cause too much sadness among other RDXers.)

I love Acuras (I had a TSX before this) - the cars have saved my life (literally) so it's not that I don't like them, but I'm wondering if I should switch to another car to avoid bad car mojo transfer...

So - do I lease another 08 RDX (this time it will be NBP/Ebony with Tech) or go for another CUV like the Nissan Murano?

This will probably happen within the next 2 weeks (or sooner) so any input is appreciated...
Old 03-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Instructor

I've seen tons of new Muranos all over the place, and they look great from every angle but the front. The front end (grille + headlights) is awful! The Murano has a ton of great features (more than the MDX, I think?), but after seeing Nissans build quality and reliability, I'd be highly concerned about owning or leasing one for an extended period of time.

With that said, the RDX and Murano are both great choices.

RDX
- high build quality
- great looks from every angle (subjective)
- great powertrain

Murano
- decent build quality
- the front is awful, but the rest looks good (again, subjective)
- tons of gadgets and goodies (push button start and keyless access are )

Did you test drive them both?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 PM
10th Gear

I, of course, would love to replace the wrecked RDX and since I had one, I don't need to test drive it. I have an appointment to test drive the Murano later this week.

What I'm really concerned with is sustainable value, reliability, safety and power (not necessarily in that order)
Old 03-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Well, one way to settle it is to search the crash results on www.iihs.org. This is the list by which my shopping list was generated. If it wasn't a top pick, it did not make my list, either.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take the RDX...the fact that you walked away from your accident so unscathed should be all the proof you need.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kamaaina
I, of course, would love to replace the wrecked RDX and since I had one, I don't need to test drive it. I have an appointment to test drive the Murano later this week.

What I'm really concerned with is sustainable value, reliability, safety and power (not necessarily in that order)

Well, I know you don't need to. But what about driving them back to back? Really taking note of every detail?

Both the RDX and Murano are going to be good bets for sustainable value, reliability, safety, and power. The RDX will probably have better reliability, and perhaps better safety. They're both highly rated, but the RDX has the ACE body structure.

Another thought, the Murano has only been out for several months while the RDX has been out for over a year now. So the RDX should, theoretically, have fewer issues.

Have you poked around on any of the Murano forums?

EDIT: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/s...threadid=10726

EDIT2: There's an airbag safety recall (if the battery is discharged enough, the airbag may not inflate in a collision). Also, one owner posted this: "This is making me uneasy. I am starting to hear rattles and squeeks in my Murano already. I got rid of my 08 Armada for this!! I am starting to feel I made a move too quickly."
Old 03-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

The Murano was the only comparator that we test drove after screening out the rest of the field at the auto show. I liked the way it drove and a lot of things about it. To me, the RDX beat it in the areas of handling, price, and the level of service that we've gotten from our local Acura dealer. The Murano felt more solid and had a more luxurious interior, but the fact that my wife wasn't crazy about how big it felt and the fact that the "Friendly Nissan Giant" was celebrating "Cardi Gras" when we were there made me want to throw up. The Murano is a great crossover - I can see why they sell so many.

That being said, if I drove my RDX into a wall at 25 mph and was ok, I'd probably buy another one the next day just based on that. I hope you heal quickly and thoroughly!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:06 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
The other thing to consider besides the car is the service. I just got my RDX from a dealer (first time buying from a real dealer) and the fact that I get a free loaner, they wash my car, its costing me zero to fix for the warranty period (got the extended warranty too), etc. its important to me. The kind of service that you are to expect buying a Luxury car is far superior than what you would expect from a "regular" car.

Nissan is very reliable, I am upset I didn't drive the Murano before buying the RDX, but having driven CVT transmissions in the past I wasn't too crazy about it...You should expect the same kind of safety from both cars....I guess that the driving would be more "sport" oriented in the RDX and more on the comfort side for the Murano......

Good luck, and I hope that you make a full recovery..
Old 03-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by jcg878
That being said, if I drove my RDX into a wall at 25 mph and was ok, I'd probably buy another one the next day just based on that. I hope you heal quickly and thoroughly!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Racer

Take some test rides. The differences should be immediately obvious. The Murano is more minivan-ish. The RDX is more sporty and more refined.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:36 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RDX...
Your still standing..and your still alive?
well..b/c?
RDX built...TOP SAFETY CUV.(wouldn't win this award if it didn't take in the credibility of having all those safetey features).
and it looks so much SEXIIER
Old 03-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
Glad you're okay kamaaina. As for the RDX/Murano comparison, I'd take the RDX over the Murano every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

My choice would be based on Acura > Nissan (no comparison).

As for the vehicles, you yourself said your priorities are sustainable value, reliability, safety and power...the power is comparable on both vehicles (240hp 2.4L I-4 Turbo vs. 265hp 3.5L VQ V6), sustainable value definitely goes to Acura/RDX, safety is obviously commendable in the RDX, so that leaves reliability. Usually I would say Honda/Acura reliability is second to none (which it is), but the one trump card on the RDX is the turbo. I usually don't recommend turbos long-term, but there is no data available yet for long-term durability for the Honda 2.4L I-4 Turbo.

My immediate recommendation is the RDX (in a heartbeat), but the one caveat would be if you were keeping this vehicle for 10 years or so, then I would say think more towards a N/A V6 than a turbo I-4.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kamaaina -

Glad to hear that you are in one piece. But sorry to hear about your RDX. That is a true bummer!

As for deciding I'm in the same boat as you are. The more I research the Murano the more I'm finding that Acura did skimp out on some features on the RDX. I have yet to test drive the Murano so I have not made up my mind but based on features alone (and yes I realize that shouldn't be the only thing) I feel as though I'm getting more for my money in a Murano than an RDX.

This is a tough choice for me. I've had a Honda for 8 years and my parents have a TL and MDX so I've had great experiences with Honda/Acura. I just need to determine what my priorities are. And, if my wife and I are thinking of having kids I'm not sure "sporty" is necessarily a way to think but I could be wrong. Cargo room is a necessity. Safety would be as well and you've proven that the RDX can handle that. And as someone else mentioned before I like to keep my cars a long time and there's no data on how long the turbo will last before anyone sees any problems. But then again it is Acura so what could really go wrong??? The Murano is new "this year" but it's been out since 2001 so there aren't going to be too many surprises.

Well, like I said, we have to test drive it to see what we like. It'll be a really tough decision though.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:40 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
yep. when compared, acura whimped out big time with the usable features. next time, skip "solar sensing" climate control. whats funny is, after i looked at the Murano, i felt like my RDX was a bargain basement discount. granted, the RDX makes up for it in the performance/driving/handling aspects, and we pay for the SHAWD and turbo etc, but such subltle things, when compare to the likes of the Murano, did not make it into the RDX which could have easily been added. makes the murano a very competitive choice if #1 on ur list is NOT the driving experience (altho the murano aint to shabby).
Old 03-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Type34
Glad you're okay kamaaina. As for the RDX/Murano comparison, I'd take the RDX over the Murano every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

My choice would be based on Acura > Nissan (no comparison).

As for the vehicles, you yourself said your priorities are sustainable value, reliability, safety and power...the power is comparable on both vehicles (240hp 2.4L I-4 Turbo vs. 265hp 3.5L VQ V6), sustainable value definitely goes to Acura/RDX, safety is obviously commendable in the RDX, so that leaves reliability. Usually I would say Honda/Acura reliability is second to none (which it is), but the one trump card on the RDX is the turbo. I usually don't recommend turbos long-term, but there is no data available yet for long-term durability for the Honda 2.4L I-4 Turbo.

My immediate recommendation is the RDX (in a heartbeat), but the one caveat would be if you were keeping this vehicle for 10 years or so, then I would say think more towards a N/A V6 than a turbo I-4.
Is your car a TSX with Civic SI wheels? Looks great! Got any more pics?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:14 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The Nissan VQ engine is a truly remarkable one. I commend Nissan on their entire line up of vehicles, all the way from the new alitma to the 350Z, all very nice cars. Even so the RDX with out all the features that the 08' murano has; is still a better cuv imo. The Murano just blends in with other CUV's while the RDX stands out. At the end of the day they are both great you just have to see what fits your budget and lifestyle better. If it saved your life once I believe thats enough to get another..
Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Just02
... and they look great from every angle but the front. The front end (grille + headlights) is awful!
I saw the 2009 Murano on display last night in front of Sam's Club. That front grill is really ugly. The side view & back end look better than previous Muranos.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by VeNeNo
The Nissan VQ engine is a truly remarkable one. I commend Nissan on their entire line up of vehicles, all the way from the new alitma to the 350Z, all very nice cars. Even so the RDX with out all the features that the 08' murano has; is still a better cuv imo. The Murano just blends in with other CUV's while the RDX stands out. At the end of the day they are both great you just have to see what fits your budget and lifestyle better. If it saved your life once I believe thats enough to get another..
The Murano blends in while the RDX stands out?? I think you have Acura colored glasses on I love the RDX as much as the next guy, but it's not aggressively styled in any way. The Murano is - for better or for worse.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 AM
big shot.

yea i would agree, however, ive posted this before...the RDX has more of a 'classic' truck design whereas something like the Murano is more geared for the times...not sure how id feel looking at that space ship after 3 or 4 years of owning.

i wouldnt call the RDX a standout at all...it has nice lines but stand out god no, it blends in like everything else.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Racer

Good for quick specs comparo:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2009/...x.html?vehicle[1].year=2008&vehicle[1].make=Acura&vehicle[1].model=RDX&vehicle[1].trim=1576;36;3;6&vehicle[2].year=2009&vehicle[2].make=Lexus&vehicle[2].model=RX350&vehicle[2].trim=1;36;3;14&vehicle[3].year=2008&vehicle[3].make=BMW&vehicle[3].model=X3&vehicle[3].trim=1201;36;3;8&vehicle.fullTrimId=
Old 03-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Instructor

OK, I'll jump in on this styling thread. Obviously the styling is contemporary on both of these rigs, however, I have noted over the years that Nissan's (over)styling does not age well at all. This is not a statement particular to the Murano an it may be an exception, but across the Nissan lineup I find it to be true.

There may be nothing more modern looking than a new Nissan, however there is nothing that looks more dated than a 3-5 year old one. It has been that way for two decades at least. I think their resale values reflect it as well.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:13 PM
08 RDX Tech Silver/Ebony

Speaking of reliability -- what goes for the EX35 goes for the Murano too:

Kicking Tires -- Recall Alert: 2009 Nissan Murano, 2008 Infiniti EX35

Two major new products from Nissan are being recalled due to a software glitch that could cause passenger airbags to fail during a crash.

The recall affects 11,511 2009 Nissan Muranos, which went on sale just this month, and 4,854 2008 Infiniti EX35s, which went on sale in late 2007. Nissan will reprogram the software to fix the problem; it should be an easy fix to a potentially dangerous problem.

First-year models often have growing pains with problems like this, but sometimes news of a recall can sway potential buyers of a new model.

Owners can contact Infiniti at 1-800-662-6200 and Nissan at 1-800-647-7261 for more information.

Nissan Recalls Murano, Infiniti SUVs for Airbag (Bloomberg)
Old 03-05-2008, 02:47 PM
07 PWP RDX all day!

Wow the recalls on nissan cars are crazy ,im glad u walked fine from the accident and I would recomend you to stick with the RDX ,styling and powertrain is better than nissan,also I haven't hear a recall's on any acura cars and iwe own everysingle one INTEGRA,RSX,TL,CL,TSX,MDX and now RDX

RDX is the way to go!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Instructor

NEITHER! Don't buy either one of them. Murano has that CVT, which I can't stand. It takes all the sport out of it.

I just got back from three days in Scottsdale, Arizona (business trip). My rental car was an Infiniti FX35. In a word: AWESOME! If I hadn't wanted to cough up an extra $6,000 - $9,000 or so for a comparably equipped model, I would've bought one last November when I purchased my RDX. Now I'm having second thoughts. The FX35 is definitely going to replace my RDX before my base warranty runs out. Sooner if the stock market turns around. Tooling around Scottsdale, the FX35 rocked my world! I felt like a million dollars.

Forget the Acura fanboys, people who can't bring themselves to seriously consider any brand but Honda/Acura. Get the Infiniti FX35. I admit to having zero brand loyalty. I will never swear allegiance to one car company. That's like swearing undying loyalty to one political party. No one should do that.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:39 PM
07 PWP RDX all day!

Fx 35 is a nice car too and sounds just like the g35 wich is sexy
Old 03-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by raul07RDX
Fx 35 is a nice car too and sounds just like the g35 wich is sexy
I'm not a fan of the FX35. Here is why:

1) Crappy ride. Even more stiff than the RDX.
2) Big and bulky. 76" X 189". Because I live in an urban area with narrow streets, I think anything that is much bigger than the RDX is impractical.
3) Gass guzzler. you guys complain about the RDX's fuel economy, the FX35 is EPA rated at 15/20.
4) Despite its larger size, the FX35 actually has no more storage room than a RDX. In terms of cargo room by size, the FX35 is one of the least efficient packages on the market.
5) The style has not aged well (personal opinion though).

And, to thePlainsmen above, exactly which "fanboys" are you talking about? This site is obviously frequented by Acura enthusiasts, but all of the posters here seem to have a great deal of respect for brands like Nissan/Infiniti.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
NEITHER! Don't buy either one of them. Murano has that CVT, which I can't stand. It takes all the sport out of it.

I just got back from three days in Scottsdale, Arizona (business trip). My rental car was an Infiniti FX35. In a word: AWESOME! If I hadn't wanted to cough up an extra $6,000 - $9,000 or so for a comparably equipped model, I would've bought one last November when I purchased my RDX. Now I'm having second thoughts. The FX35 is definitely going to replace my RDX before my base warranty runs out. Sooner if the stock market turns around. Tooling around Scottsdale, the FX35 rocked my world! I felt like a million dollars.

Forget the Acura fanboys, people who can't bring themselves to seriously consider any brand but Honda/Acura. Get the Infiniti FX35. I admit to having zero brand loyalty. I will never swear allegiance to one car company. That's like swearing undying loyalty to one political party. No one should do that.
Umm... ok.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I test drove a 2007 Murano and an 2007 FX35. Neither came close to the RDX in terms of handling. Both felt a little bit more refined. The FX is just too big and bulky for the interior space--and it drives that way. I think the RDX feels better in terms of handling, and has the numbers to back that feel up. In fact, its straight line performace is in line with the FX45, and it out handles all of them.

Edmunds got a slalom of 65.7 with the RDX and 59.2 with the Murano. Humungo difference. Acceleration was off by at least a full second (0-60 and 1/4).

The CVT is...well...it sucks.

The Murano just doesn't have anything to make up for the performance deficit.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by darth62
I'm not a fan of the FX35. Here is why:

1) Crappy ride. Even more stiff than the RDX.
2) Big and bulky. 76" X 189". Because I live in an urban area with narrow streets, I think anything that is much bigger than the RDX is impractical.
3) Gass guzzler. you guys complain about the RDX's fuel economy, the FX35 is EPA rated at 15/20.
4) Despite its larger size, the FX35 actually has no more storage room than a RDX. In terms of cargo room by size, the FX35 is one of the least efficient packages on the market.
5) The style has not aged well (personal opinion though).

And, to thePlainsmen above, exactly which "fanboys" are you talking about? This site is obviously frequented by Acura enthusiasts, but all of the posters here seem to have a great deal of respect for brands like Nissan/Infiniti.
Agreed. But a few people on this board have zero respect for American brands.

Anyway, I loved the FX35 I drove in Scottsdale. Very impressive, in my opinion.

1)Crappy ride. I think the RDX is harsher and noisier (road noise). The RDX is not nearly as luxurious.

2) Big and bulky. Yes, it is bigger and bulkier. I live in a semi-rural area not an urban area, so the bigger size is not an issue. Moreover, I also own an eight passenger Saturn Outlook XR, which is bigger than the FX35. It drives like a car, even in crowded big mall parking lots. The RDX is about as tiny as I can stand.

3) Gas guzzler. Point taken. But the difference is what, 2 miles per gallon? I've never made a car buying decision based on that. Before I bought my RDX, I almost bought my latest (affordable) dream car, a Dodge Charger SRT8, 425 HP, complete with gas guzzler tax. The only reason I didn't is because I decided I shouldn't get rear wheel drive and I wanted a hatch.

4) Storage room is not why I bought the RDX, so this is a wash. AGain, I have an 8 passenger SUV, so I have a vehicle when I need massive storage room.

5) I think the FX35 is much more attractive than the RDX or MDX. It looks arrogant. I love that look.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:23 AM
big shot.

who ever mentioned anything about American brands in this thread?...lol

just another poor post to justify your Saturn. We had an 03 FX45...besides going fast and looking like the ballsiest vehicle on the road....its served absolutely no purpose, just as the EX does...... could barely haul a few people plus luggage (2ppl + bags in the back was pushing it) traded with under 20k miles. The tires are outragousely big and affected ride quality across the board.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
It is not just the Murano's CVT that lacks a performance feel.

I just saw the new Murano review in Car and Driver (not sure...might have been R&T). On their testing specs page there are 3 choices for rating understeer...the Murano's understeer was rated EXCESSIVE.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
But a few people on this board have zero respect for American brands.

2) Big and bulky....bigger size is not an issue.

3) Gas guzzler....I've never made a car buying decision based on that.

4) Storage room is not why I bought the RDX, so this is a wash. AGain, I have an 8 passenger SUV, so I have a vehicle when I need massive storage room.

5) It looks arrogant. I love that look.
Dude, here's your ride:

Old 03-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanted a used FX45 before the RDX, but new, they are overpriced IMO. The FX is around the same interior volume as the RDX, the EX is a joke. I'm 5'10" and my knees were hitting the front seat. It's not a bad looking vehicle, you just have to realize, that it's basically the size of a GTi on the inside.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:26 PM
07 PWP RDX all day!

Well yeah imo trunk space between the rdx and the fx are about the same but the fx is a guzzler ,overall both cars are nice imo. Good luck picking up the new ride and keep us updated.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:56 PM
big shot.

the best thing the rdx has going for it, as well as the X3, is that it embraced a truck-like body vs a car-like body. thats why the bwm and acura, in my eyes, really trump this segment, cuz they get the sports car performance without turning the truck into a hatchback in order to achieve it. and, they can also move 4 avg sized ppl + stuff around.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by cwepruk
I wanted a used FX45 before the RDX, but new, they are overpriced IMO. The FX is around the same interior volume as the RDX, the EX is a joke. I'm 5'10" and my knees were hitting the front seat. It's not a bad looking vehicle, you just have to realize, that it's basically the size of a GTi on the inside.
I'm 5'10" and I couldn't fit in the FRONT of the EX. That may sound like hyperbole, but most of my height is in the torso, and I like to sit close the wheel. So, I usually need the same kind of headroom as somebody 6'+. My head crashes into the ceiling of the EX35.

I fit fine in the Acura, Murano, and X3 though.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:36 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by MMike1981
the best thing the rdx has going for it, as well as the X3, is that it embraced a truck-like body vs a car-like body. thats why the bwm and acura, in my eyes, really trump this segment, cuz they get the sports car performance without turning the truck into a hatchback in order to achieve it. and, they can also move 4 avg sized ppl + stuff around.
+1
Old 03-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
who ever mentioned anything about American brands in this thread?...lol

just another poor post to justify your Saturn. We had an 03 FX45...besides going fast and looking like the ballsiest vehicle on the road....its served absolutely no purpose, just as the EX does...... could barely haul a few people plus luggage (2ppl + bags in the back was pushing it) traded with under 20k miles. The tires are outragousely big and affected ride quality across the board.
Careful, your envy of my Outlook is showing again.

Funny, I thought the purpose of the FX is the same as the purpose of the RDX--to function as transportation. And the FX35 has smaller, more comfortable tires than the FX45. Too bad you wasted your money on the 45, which served absolutely no purpose.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Not an Ashtray

Agreed. But a few people on this board have zero respect for American brands.

Anyway, I loved the FX35 I drove in Scottsdale. Very impressive, in my opinion.

1)Crappy ride. I think the RDX is harsher and noisier (road noise). The RDX is not nearly as luxurious.

2) Big and bulky. Yes, it is bigger and bulkier. I live in a semi-rural area not an urban area, so the bigger size is not an issue. Moreover, I also own an eight passenger Saturn Outlook XR, which is bigger than the FX35. It drives like a car, even in crowded big mall parking lots. The RDX is about as tiny as I can stand.

3) Gas guzzler. Point taken. But the difference is what, 2 miles per gallon? I've never made a car buying decision based on that. Before I bought my RDX, I almost bought my latest (affordable) dream car, a Dodge Charger SRT8, 425 HP, complete with gas guzzler tax. The only reason I didn't is because I decided I shouldn't get rear wheel drive and I wanted a hatch.

5) I think the FX35 is much more attractive than the RDX or MDX. It looks arrogant. I love that look.
No offense, but you shouldn't assume that everybody (including the OP) has the same needs as you. I personally wouldn't begin to consider the FX because of the size. And, while storage room doesn't matter to you because you already own a land yacht (the outlook) most who look at the RDX need a vehicle that can sustain an active life style. If its not just about style, the FX (like the EX) is just plain impractical.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 AM
big shot.

1. when u have money....you can waste it
2. the day i envy an outlook is the day im in a wheelchair.
3. the purpose of a SUV/CUV is to move people AND LUGGAGE. not one or the other.
4. the FX45, at the time, was completely cutting edge and nothing else was out remotely resembling it in specs, looks, and performance. it was ahead of its time. and it also wasnt the price it is today. i bought it for sales price of 38k. so, yea.

Quick Reply: RDX vs. 2009 Murano