RDX Roof Rack: Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX Roof Rack: Why?

Why do you have or not have a rack on the roof of your RDX? I'm just curious. When I decided to go shopping for an RDX, I compared the roof rack vehicles with the non-roof rack vehicles. The "non" were much more attractive. Also, I've owned previous vehicles with roof racks (one for 10 years) and never used them. My Saturn Outlook has a roof rack and I'll never use it.

I think the RDX without the roof rack is much sleeker and sportier looking.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do I NOT need one? I have a hatch.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 PM
BeachBumBob

I think SUV's look bald w/o roof racks. Had roof racks on my '03 Element and '97 CR-V, never used 'em!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a small thing but when I get the x-mas tree I like to put it on the roof. With a roof rack it'll prevent the tree from actually "sitting" on the roof and possibly scratching it with all the needles. I also think the roof rack just gives it a neater look. But I would use the roof rack at least once a year, maybe a couple times a year.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Instructor

I think it looks sportier without but more like a SUV with. I dont personally have one but I dont mind the look either way actually.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
I concur, I find it too plain (oh the irony) without the roof rack.

It looks bigger then without it (without it just looks like a jacked up station wagon)

My opinion, I'll probably never use the roof rack any who.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Cruisin'

Must have...

Jeez...I have had Thule roof racks on two Saabs, two Honda Accords and now on my Pilot. Kept the racks on full-time to haul mountain and road bikes. I am looking to replace my Pilot with an RDX (or an Infiniti EX35) and will rack it full-time for my bikes. I haul my mountain bike at least once a week up top, and take long trips with bikes up. I also have a Thule cargo box that I use occasionally, depending on what's going on.

So, a roof rack is a must, must have for me...

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Instructor

I have to agree with Buxtons. The RDX definitely looks sportier without the roof rack. It's so low to the ground compared to SUVs in its size class that it looks like a station wagon with the roof rack.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by waltaz
Jeez...I have had Thule roof racks on two Saabs, two Honda Accords and now on my Pilot. Kept the racks on full-time to haul mountain and road bikes. ...... I also have a Thule cargo box that I use occasionally, depending on what's going on.

So, a roof rack is a must, must have for me...
Thule roof racks actually function; they very effectively secure things to the roof.

Most OEM roof racks are so optimized for low wind noise and pleasant appearance, that they are effectively useless. When I see a guy with a bunch of stuff flapping and shifting on his OEM roof rack, I get the h#ll in front of him!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Racer

I would get a roof rack if I wanted to carry 4 people and 4 bicycles or 4 sets of skis.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 AM
n8b
10th Gear

Must Have...

The roof rack is a must have for me. My friends and I love going snowboarding and skiing in the winter. There is no way I'm putting everyone's wet ski's or snowboards into my RDX when the day is over. Having the roof rack with the Yakima ski/snow attachment I got makes things super easy. I know some guys on here have Thule systems, but I swear the Fat Cat series from Yakima is the easiest to use and has the lowest wind resistance. When spring comes around I'm taking off the Yakima system along with the crossbars. No need for the rack in the summer so no point in putting up with the extra wind noise. I personally think the roof rack gives the RDX a better look than without it. My
Old 03-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Go Buckeyes

Originally Posted by n8b
The roof rack is a must have for me. My friends and I love going snowboarding and skiing in the winter. There is no way I'm putting everyone's wet ski's or snowboards into my RDX when the day is over. Having the roof rack with the Yakima ski/snow attachment I got makes things super easy. I know some guys on here have Thule systems, but I swear the Fat Cat series from Yakima is the easiest to use and has the lowest wind resistance. When spring comes around I'm taking off the Yakima system along with the crossbars. No need for the rack in the summer so no point in putting up with the extra wind noise. I personally think the roof rack gives the RDX a better look than without it. My
Totally agree, I love to ski to. I also will removed the ski rack and cross bars, when the season is over. Plus I like the look of the rack, looks more SUV with it then with out.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

I agree that the roof rack gives it a tougher, more utilitarian look. I have the surfboard attachement which is very useful (9 foot board). I don't yet have the ski attachement ,so when I went skiing with 3 people, I had to lay the skis in the middle with the tips sitting on the front arm rest. The skis were bundled in a bag, so it wasn't a big deal, but the 3rd person had to sit in the smaller of the two back seats. There should be a thruway; I wonder how hard this would be to do yourself. BMW's cold weather package has a thruway with a bag to keep the skiis off the upholstery.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

A question. I have the Acura installed roorfack with crossbars. Is there any safe way to remove the crossbars?
Old 03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Advanced

I didn't get the roofrack, as I didn't care for the way it looked. It kind of looked like all the other small SUVs & wagons.

The RDX looks cleaner & more sporty without it.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:44 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Arrow Nice Rack!

So, once again it comes down to preference. With the rack it looks more like an SUV with out it it looks more like a sports wagon. I really will never use my roof rack but i think it makes my RDX look sportier in the SUV kind of way. I also bet that most people with the roof rack have the running boards as well. it just completes that rugged look to the city inspired RDX. In my humble opinion every SUV should have one...
Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 AM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Metz
A question. I have the Acura installed roorfack with crossbars. Is there any safe way to remove the crossbars?
You can remove them with a torx socket. I removed mine. Two small brakets to which they bolt are the only things that remain on both sides. I slid both them to the front and zip tied them together. They are virtually out of sight.

I like the way it looks w/out the crossbars.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Go Buckeyes

Originally Posted by Metz
As JMJ3rd said above you need to use a torx socket/screwdriver, the size you need is number 30. (the torx bit is the one that looks like a 6 sided star, incase you did not know)
I also zip tied the bracket together but put them to the back. That is alot easier then trying to remove the caps (tough to get off and did not want to break) and sliding them off.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
A roof rack is a must if you have two kayaks.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:12 PM
9th Gear

Thumbs up

SUV/CUV looks good w/ roof rack, looks BALD& plain w/o roof rack!
Old 03-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Just like what every other person has said.. I got my rdx with roofrack and sport running boards, because without it, in my opinion the RDX looks naked.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Why doesn't the MDX have a roof rack? I've counted 14 NEW MDX's (not the older ones) that I've seen in this area in the last two months and NONE had a roof rack. How do you explain that?

I think a roof rack looks hideous on both the MDX and RDX. Most MDX owners - again, I'm referring to 2008-2009 not the older ones - do not have the hideous roof rack. It would completely mess the wicked looks of that vehicle.

In my opinion the RDX without the roof rack looks almost as "wicked" as the MDX. It looks sleek and sporty without the Equinox-like roof rack, just like the new MDX.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:41 PM
El Chulo...

Talking wicked faaar...

I agree the RDX still looks "wicked" with out the roof rack, but I wouldn't go as far to say that it looks hideous, damn thats harsh . Its just a preference thing. Rugged look= (roof rack + running boards). Sexy wicked naked bald look = no roof rack or running boards..
Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Don't go naked

To me, both the RDX and the MDX look naked without the racks. That is why I have one on my RDX and the wife required one on her 07 MDX.

When we see one without a rack, they look out of balance.

It is just the look we like.

Also, I use the racks each week. They come in handy.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Advanced

I think the rack looks great on both the MDX and RDX

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Meat Popsicle

I did not buy the rack, I have no need.
I did not think it added anything to the looks. Perhaps if it were more integrated, like with no gap under the rails, and the same color as the car body.
That would look nice.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:12 AM
El Chulo...

Originally Posted by lilfeat
I did not buy the rack, I have no need.
I did not think it added anything to the looks. Perhaps if it were more integrated, like with no gap under the rails, and the same color as the car body.
That would look nice.

Or maybe with that silver finish that it comes in the new FX's now that is sexy!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

I concur my RDX look great with that Roof Rack, Also I have front bottom Spoiler, the rear bottom defuser, side molding.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

Well, I took off the crossbars in part because ski season is over, plus I wanted to see if eliminating them would reduce wind noise. Wind noise is reduced. In terms of looks, I think it looks a little better without the crossbars, but of course this is subjective. Thanks JMJ3rd for letting me know you need a size 30 torx tool.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VeNeNo
So, once again it comes down to preference. With the rack it looks more like an SUV with out it it looks more like a sports wagon. I really will never use my roof rack but i think it makes my RDX look sportier in the SUV kind of way. I also bet that most people with the roof rack have the running boards as well. it just completes that rugged look to the city inspired RDX. In my humble opinion every SUV should have one...
The only problem with that is phony imagery. The RDX was NOT made for off-roading. I think of SUVs as off-road machines. If it's not an off-roader, it's not an SUV.

The RDX is a paved road vehicle. Period. So the phony image of a "rugged SUV" is ridiculous. The roof rack on the RDX makes it look like a station wagon from 50s.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
The only problem with that is phony imagery. The RDX was NOT made for off-roading. I think of SUVs as off-road machines. If it's not an off-roader, it's not an SUV.

The RDX is a paved road vehicle. Period. So the phony image of a "rugged SUV" is ridiculous. The roof rack on the RDX makes it look like a station wagon from 50s.
So are you trying to say that the Lexus 400h, 330, 350, the FX45, Toyota Rav4, Saturn Vue, and whatever else falls under the SUV category are all off-road vehicles? I think you need to change your definition of SUV as the industry seems to think that all of these guys are SUV's and they're definitely not made for off-roading.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:58 PM
User-approved

Holy crap. It looks like Plainsman, Fishbulb, wwest and por-she-rules are a cadre tasked with the insidious infiltration of an otherwise enthusiastic community with the intent of demoralization and defection to anywhere but a Honda/Acura community. Fie, I say!

Who cares if the friggin' vehicle is off-roaded? 98% of the 'SUV' metal made will never see off-road, other than brief excursions by those who were sold by the ad-hype regarding superior handling and ended up in the ditch or a field. Whoops. You want off-road, find yourself a classic Willys or a pre-80's Land Bruiser.

I happen to like my station wagon from the 50's. It smokes most of the other station wagons from the 50's that are on the road these days. The roof racks are totally usable and not only that, my crossbars are parked in the garage, therefore are totally silent when I'm on the interstate, and in my artistic opinion, the bare roof rails give a 'raised eyebrow' look that must be intimidating to some folks from the plains or west of there.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Instructor

I'm actually interested in getting one only because I may need to haul more stuff now that the baby is here. I have a bugaboo stroller that will take up most of the trunk space and can foresee needing more cargo room in the future. I'm not all too familiar with roof racks but would I need to get the factory rail mount first? then add my own options (eg. Thule, etc) later on?

thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 03:33 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would have loved the rack if it added some flair to the truck, like nice chrome accents (toureg, fx, murano etc) but it looked just too blacked/plastic to have up there. Otherwise, i think i def would have had one on my 'station wagon' lol.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by phoward_15
So are you trying to say that the Lexus 400h, 330, 350, the FX45, Toyota Rav4, Saturn Vue, and whatever else falls under the SUV category are all off-road vehicles? .
I never said that, you did.

Whether the car looks right with a roof rack depends on the car. The RDX and MDX simply look much sleeker, sportier (i.e. better) without the rack.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BleuM&M
Holy crap. It looks like Plainsman, Fishbulb, wwest and por-she-rules are a cadre tasked with the insidious infiltration of an otherwise enthusiastic community with the intent of demoralization and defection to anywhere but a Honda/Acura community. Fie, I say!
Lol. I tend to be a bit overcritical at times, guilty as charged.

But since you mentioned my name, I don't like the look of the roof rack on the RDX. It has better performance vehicle lines than a utility look, and the roof rack spoils that performance image.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Racer

I think the roof rack makes the Acura RDX look like a Honda CRV. If you're actually hauling stuff on your roof, then by all means get a roof rack. Otherwise ....
Old 04-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Intermediate

Basically, if you need a roof rack, get a roof rack. If not, don't. That being said, I just took off the the crossbars and think it looks better. It also does cut down on the wind noise, particularly if the moonroof is open. I agree that 99% of SUV's with roof racks never leave the road, so it's unfair to criticize the RDX. I'd point out that I see plenty of non AWD sedans with roof racks; it's not an image thing, it's a functional thing. I suppose one could argue that a roof-racked RDX fulfillis it's "urban assault vehicle" image.

I agree that it should have some chrome accents; the RDX in general needs more chrome, especially a black one.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

WOW...hadn't been on here for a while. A lot of debate on this one for sure. I've been considering the roof rack now that I started snowboarding this winter.

I definitely like it better without the roof rack but think I will need the function by the time the late fall rolls around. I like keeping it looking sporty so it will be a tough change.

Anyone got pics of their RDX with the rack but not the side bars they could share? Thanks!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Intermediate

I'll try to post a picture without the crossbars if I can figure out how. In the meantime, here's another question, maybe for a new thread. The front of a black RDX looks like it needs a little more panash-all you see is the chrome grill, but the intakes below don't look as good as say on an RDX of any other color. There's not enough contrast. Would anyone consider having the the intakes painted, or say put in a chrome honeycomb grill? Some of the Muranos have a thin line of chrome below the main, very ugly, grill.

Quick Reply: RDX Roof Rack: Why?