RDX Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX Reliability

This thread is designed to help inform others lurking around in this forum (as I did for a long time!) about the reliability of the RDX based on the experiences of our members.

How reliable has your RDX been since you've had it? Please list any positive or negative things you've encountered with your RDX in terms of reliability. Please state year of RDX, model, and current mileage.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:50 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It might be better suited that if people are searching for particulars, to just use the search function and some key words that they are looking for, there are multiple posts all over the place that relate to a "reliability" topic

Ill kick it off with

2007 Lemon - bad sunroof, replaced, new roof was worse, constant rattling & banging

2008 -

*Passenger front door consistent knocking & noise - took 4 dealer visits to find the right adjustment of the door striker
*Car out of alignment on delivery; required recentering of steering wheel & full alignment
*Rear seats rattle & bang over moderate to heavy road imperfections
*Multiple rattles and noises throughout the car

Mechanically speaking - RDX has been issue free, and i guess that is a biggie.

Workmanship, fit/finish/integrity....id say below average. Panels are not tight, exterior trim is barely fastened, lose fitting plastic on the exterior & interior

*Current problems - rear bumper will not fasten where it joins the side paneling of the car in the rear of the rear wheel wells - the bumper flares out and appears as if its not connected (it will not stay fastened into the clips)
Old 07-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

[quote=MMike1981;11108071]It might be better suited that if people are searching for particulars, to just use the search function and some key words that they are looking for, there are multiple posts all over the place that relate to a "reliability" topic

I agree MMike, I just figured it would be nice if we could gather as much info in this one thread about reliability (or problems) rather than have it all over the place. I know I had a hard time finding all the information about reliability on this forum.

Wow, too bad to hear about so many issues with your RDXs. Makes me wonder how many others have had so many problems with theirs. Do you still like your RDX or is that a stupid question, considering all the listed problems you had with it?

I just bought my 08 used so its a little early to tell at this point, but I am having the steering wheel looked after next week. It seems to be making a weird sound when turning while vehicle is idling. (see post in the "problems and solutions" forum). But other than that, all seems good on my end. One minor little rattle inside the car, seems like the dash, but its not enough to bother me at this point.

I do hope others will chime in and share their experience, positive or negative, with their RDX.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Instructor

my '08 tech is 15 months old and about 9300 miles.

I had it in to the dealership once for a clicking noise when I removed my foot from the brake pedal... sounded like a brake pad click that occurs when applying the brakes..... the moly coated the pads and they found the noise was still there. they then replaced the brake booster. noise was still there, so at that time they drove a couple other RDX's and listened closely and heard the same noise. I called them on it and yeah, I heard it on the loaner and demo...... so it seems to be normal, although annoying.

maybe four times since new, the sunroof has reversed itself while closing. never bothered taking it in, because I know it won't happen. my service manager emailed me the pinch protection relearn process, but I haven't bothered to do that yet....

when I first aligned the car, two of the rubber exhaust hangers were not hooked to the exhaust, they were just horizontal, never hooked up build........ nor caught at the pdi at dealership....

otherwise, no significant problems.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Intermediate

Wink Dash Rattle

I developed a dash rattle at highway speeds. During the 5000 oil change they took me for a ride to assure it was there, and, so they knew what to attack. The problem is the dash is multiple pieces unlike most other Acuras. They fixed it with additional padding somehow. But it odes have another rattle from the rear somewhere over rough pavement, etc.

But mechanically thus far--no problems whatever. The car is all I'd hoped for.

As I noted on another thread, they haven't manufactured the perfect car (never any rattles/never any flaws/never any failures, etc.). Given that reality--this is a heckuva car in all the ways I'd hoped when I made my decision to trade my TSX for the RDX.

Originally Posted by stevel

I had it in to the dealership once for a clicking noise when I removed my foot from the brake pedal... sounded like a brake pad click that occurs when applying the brakes..... the moly coated the pads and they found the noise was still there. they then replaced the brake booster. noise was still there, so at that time they drove a couple other RDX's and listened closely and heard the same noise. I called them on it and yeah, I heard it on the loaner and demo...... so it seems to be normal, although annoying.

maybe four times since new, the sunroof has reversed itself while closing. never bothered taking it in, because I know it won't happen. my service manager emailed me the pinch protection relearn process, but I haven't bothered to do that yet....

when I first aligned the car, two of the rubber exhaust hangers were not hooked to the exhaust, they were just horizontal, never hooked up build........ nor caught at the pdi at dealership....

Old 07-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stevel

I also have the "brake clicking sound", mainly hear it when releasing the brake pedal. Also, when braking, once the RDX comes to a complete stop, I hear a little "squeek" sound as the vehicle stops completely. If I quickly release the brake to allow the vehicle to move forward a bit then quickly re-apply the brake, I will get the same squeek sound as the vehicle comes to a complete stop. A little annoying, but not sure if its widespread to all RDXs. May have to do with the steering sound I am experiencing.

So far no sunroof problem. Can you explain how to do the "the pinch protection relearn process" for the sunroof ?

I am noticing the rather rough ride in the RDX over bumpy roads, which are beyond plentiful here in NB. Although everything still feels very tight, so this is good.

So, could it be that the fact the RDX is being assembled in the USA vs Japan may explain most of the tiny annoyances in build quality? I think yes. But still an amazing vehicle to me, despite these minor annoyances.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Advanced

I have a 2007 with almost 90,000 miles. I have had no issues. I still have the original brake pads! I drive a lot of highway miles
Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 AM
big shot.

original brake pads? how are your rotors doing
Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by snowboard1
I have a 2007 with almost 90,000 miles. I have had no issues. I still have the original brake pads! I drive a lot of highway miles
Im glad to hear that!! Atleast now i know RDX turbocharge engine can go up to 90k miles withou major problem ...
Old 07-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Advanced

rotors are fine, have been to the dealer for all maintenance. I drive between Philly and DC all the time, so I really do 90% highway miles
Old 07-17-2009, 03:30 PM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my wife's 07 RDX with tech has 55,000 miles on it and "knock on wood" no problems yet. She loves it.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:12 PM
2nd Gear

Mine is still somewhat new, purchased in DEC as an 09 model. BUT, the rear seat rattling is a bit annoying. I'm going to take it in soon...has been rattling for about 3 months, I've just been a little lazy
Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Cruisin'

When new, I had the annoying "slow start" issue where the car would take a long time to turn over. Strangely, this problem has resolved itself with age (17K miles now). It even stalled out a few times or wouldn't turn over within the first three months I had it, but never again.

I have the same issue with the rear bumper. What an annoyance. I've had the dealer "re-attach" it to those clips with each maintenance visit. And my steering wheel was also off center which led to a minor alignment adjustment too, but that problem is still not perfectly fixed. Overall though, definitely solid mechanically and functionally. Great ride!

Originally Posted by MMike1981
*Car out of alignment on delivery; required recentering of steering wheel & full alignment

Mechanically speaking - RDX has been issue free, and i guess that is a biggie.

Workmanship, fit/finish/integrity....id say below average. Panels are not tight, exterior trim is barely fastened, lose fitting plastic on the exterior & interior

*Current problems - rear bumper will not fasten where it joins the side paneling of the car in the rear of the rear wheel wells - the bumper flares out and appears as if its not connected (it will not stay fastened into the clips)
Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 AM
big shot.

yea - the steering wheel off center/alignment - my wheel is still not perfect its just a tad off, but close enough to where its only slightly aggravating

i also forgot about the rear seat issue - i had the TSB performed, the TSB eliminates most of the major banging, but the rattles are still there, less noticeable, the TSB helps but is in now way a solution, some days the seats are OK, somedays they are loud as hell.

as far as the rear bumper, id bet the clips break over time, theres no fix for it unless you replace the parts more or less, its just another issue ive turned my head to with this truck. if those clips are busted underneath, theres really no way we can solve it
Old 07-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MMike1981
yea - the steering wheel off center/alignment - my wheel is still not perfect its just a tad off, but close enough to where its only slightly aggravating

i also forgot about the rear seat issue - i had the TSB performed, the TSB eliminates most of the major banging, but the rattles are still there, less noticeable, the TSB helps but is in now way a solution, some days the seats are OK, somedays they are loud as hell.

as far as the rear bumper, id bet the clips break over time, theres no fix for it unless you replace the parts more or less, its just another issue ive turned my head to with this truck. if those clips are busted underneath, theres really no way we can solve it
The dealer won't make another attempt at correcting the steering wheel issue because in their opinion, the car is not out of alignment because it does not "drift" enough on the highway to warrant a re-look. I had the service manager take a ride with me to verify it. I was a bit peeved after that, but gave up. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but I agree, it's just enough off to notice. Oh well, I guess minor things relatively speaking.

I have noticed a bit of a vibration from the rear seat/hatch area too. That's about it. Everything else has remained SOLID despite crappy Ohio roads.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:07 AM
3rd Gear

I traded in a 2005 Honda Pilot for my 2009 RDX. The Pilot had zero problems. The RDX nothing but problems. In one month of ownership it has spent a week at the dealer. Just got it back today after fixing the sunroof for the third time and now the transmission is slipping. It has 1300 miles on it.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 AM
big shot.

uh oh - sunroof problem???? my 07 was lemon'd because of the sunroof....
Old 07-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seat belt rattle (passenger rear in the tensioner). I just let it go--the car seats rattles are way louder anyway.

I had a dash squeak that went away.

I had to bend a heat shield back into place--it rattled on the exhaust--probably the dealer's fault or the car carrier's fault. Two second fix by me.

That's it.