RDX owners, what cars or suv's have you raced against?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX owners, what cars or suv's have you raced against?

I was just wondering how many RDX owners have raced their SUV vs other SUV's or cars? I wanted to now if you ever felt the turbo lag at all.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Advanced

I was thinking of starting a thread like this...

My notable wins to date.

A Dodge Hemi Magnum from a stoplight in the rain - Thank you AWD! He was slipping and sliding.

A new GMC Denali was playing with me on a freeway at 80-90 and would not let me pass, I found a quick right/left gap in the three lanes and decided to punch it, I quickly pulled away (love the vtech and turbo), left him well behind as the RDX hit 110. Felt like more was available but not needed this time. Note that this was a mostly empty freeway at 6 am on a Sunday, afterwards I settled back down at a nice 80 and never saw the GMC again.

I do have some more less exciting challenges, but these are the most memorable so far.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Racer

Old 02-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

My wife was able to beat a snow plow off the line this morning, even though the plow had chains on. Go AWD go.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hehe....while I am VERY past my sports car stage, too many people seem to think I bought this thing for the engine. Not long after I got it, I was in a gas station filling up when two kids in pants that were too big walked by and asked 'is that thing fast?' As I said, given that I really didn't buy it for the engine, I said 'I don't really know'. They responded (in rather condescending way) with, 'what, you never got up on it?'....to which I replied, how would that help?

So no, I haven't raced anyone. There's only people who think I have...
Mike
Old 02-25-2007, 09:13 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Some dude was walking down the sidewalk next to me and gave me this look, so I got it up to 35mph and blew past him.

Seriously, I don't think we should be encouraging street racing or reckless driving by giving it an audience. I hope the mods delete this thread.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by c_hunter
Seriously, I don't think we should be encouraging street racing or reckless driving by giving it an audience. I hope the mods delete this thread.
+1

Mike
Old 02-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ozwaldo
(love the vtech and turbo), left him well behind as the RDX hit 110. Felt like more was available but not needed this time. Note that this was a mostly empty freeway at 6 am on a Sunday, afterwards I settled back down at a nice 80 and never saw the GMC again.
i love the vtech as well..its killer bad.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Racer

Some dude was walking down the sidewalk next to me and gave me this look, so I got it up to 35mph and blew past him.

What would you expect from a 27 year old. Still in the young and dumb phase of life. To tell you the truth, I thought most would grow out of it by 25.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Advanced

I would agree that "reckless" driving should not be encouraged.

In the first case I mentioned it was a simple launch at a red light to the posted speed.

In the second it was a Sunday at 6 am, very very light traffic on a 3 lane expressway, I did not pass anyone, just pulled away for a moment. Most of the traffic that was there was going 70-80 already.

I bought the RDX for the performance, and really enjoy what it can do, but I would not drive without any regard for safety, there is a time and place for everything, I choose my "moments" carefully.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
wow some of these rdx owners need to go back to their buicks and typewriters so they can write some more 'letters to the editor' of their local newspapers.

maybe after the mods delete this crazy damaging thread they can send the ip addresses of the reckless street racers to their respective local police department.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Cruisin'

Wow!! Must we bash 27 yr olds?? I wouldn't regard myself as being in the "young and dumb" phase of life. I don't know how old you are but there is no need to say such things unless your in the "old and senile" phase.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by deandorsey
wow some of these rdx owners need to go back to their buicks and typewriters so they can write some more 'letters to the editor' of their local newspapers.

maybe after the mods delete this crazy damaging thread they can send the ip addresses of the reckless street racers to their respective local police department.
Too Funny deandorsey! All I can think of is "Murder She Wrote." I wish I could find a smiley typing on a type writer.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Race Director

No didn't mean no harm. Some of you guys are too critical and seem to want to drive like senior citizens it seems.

The TSX and TL sections have a racing and competition section so why isn't there one for the RDX?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 PM

Unless the driving described in response to this thread (with racing in the title) was done at a track, then it's not something to talk about or encourage. I honestly think it's a dangerous topic, and asking for trouble. There is no other purpose here than for people to brag about potentially reckless driving. Every other car forum I belong to has a strict policy against street racing, and it is not tolerated.

Regardless of the rules or atmosphere here, the mere thought of anybody bragging about street racing or driving fast in the RDX is extremely lame to me. It's a two-ton SUV, not an S2000 or Corvette. I just don't see anything glamorous about racing an SUV, no matter how fast it is. We'd have to be kidding ourselves to even think this is a cool topic.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Race Director

Unless the driving described in response to this thread (with racing in the title) was done at a track, then it's not something to talk about or encourage. I honestly think it's a dangerous topic, and asking for trouble. There is no other purpose here than for people to brag about potentially reckless driving. Every other car forum I belong to has a strict policy against street racing, and it is not tolerated.

Regardless of the rules or atmosphere here, the mere thought of anybody bragging about street racing or driving fast in the RDX is extremely lame to me. It's a two-ton SUV, not an S2000 or Corvette. I just don't see anything glamorous about racing an SUV, no matter how fast it is. We'd have to be kidding ourselves to even think this is a cool topic.
Oops didn't mean for people to boast about their RDX is quicker than another car. I just wanted to know if the turbo and 4 cylinder can give enough muscles and guts to pull the weight of the RDX when you need to pass people on the expressway at sufficient ease w/o any lag or feeling like it's trying too hard.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:26 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is every car designer/engineer's dream to see their work driven at 35mph in the fast lane with the blinker on.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by creativeguy
It is every car designer/engineer's dream to see their work driven at 35mph in the fast lane with the blinker on.
Amen. Besides, don't people know how much more gas you burn at higher speeds? The RDX is such a fuel hog to begin with, racing it would be very wasteful, and bad for the environment.

We got one because it looked cute, had a great safety rating, and will have enough room to get to and from soccer games. We bought it despite the turbo-charger -- in addition to burning too much gas, the car just feels too peppy off the line. I regularly need to scream at my wife "slow down, you're going to kill someone driving like that!!"

Can't wait to post the pics of the RDX with the Baby on Board sign and "World's Best Soccer Mom" bumper stickers (with O's that are little soccer balls!!11!!eleventy!!).

Seriously, though -- chill out a bit, folks. We didn't buy a minivan for a reason, and that reason is off the line performance and handling of this car. While we are unlikely to race anyone, shame on them if THEY try to race US. This car has real power, and there's no sin in enjoying it if given a (safe) chance to do so at the expense of somebody else's ego.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Burning Brakes

ok thought police, your right i never thought of it that way. maybe i should stop watching csi i might want to murder someone, since its seems so common, i mean theres a murdered person every episode. better yet- the government should just yank these reckless shows altogether since they encourage a smarter criminal.

whats lame is you coming into this post with your agenda- why dont YOU go to off topic and make a post about 'street racing' and you can wax poetic about all the horrors and irresponsibility’s of your so called definition of street racing... Are you that legislator from Vermont that wants to ban drinking any beverage while driving?

Not one poster has told a story of irresponsible street racing- go to a evo forum or numerous other 4 banger forums if you really want to read ignorant racing stories-

Also there is a professional driver on the mdx forums who I believe owns a 800+ hp vette and also has a new mdx – which was tuned at nurnberg - who has posted about the performance of his new mdx on twisty empty backroads- there are also new videos on TOV of the rdx being taken through its paces at tail of the dragon…

good day sir.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
While I totally enjoyed smoking people in my TL, I knew walking into this RDX purchased that would have to stop. There's no way a car like this is going to blow anyone away with it's speed. Yeah, the turbo kicks ass, but c'mon, it's a large car with awd and a 4 banger.

Joe
Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Racer

Okay, everyone does need to settle down here. Who cares if someone wants to make a thread like this?

I came from driving a 400hp GTO, so I can appreciate some solid acceleration, and that is why I got the RDX. If we didn't care about a little engine pep, we should all be driving CR-V's.

When you get right down to it, we are all going to drive the vehicle differently. When selecting a vehicle, I specifically looked at 0-60 times, hp, torque, etc because I wanted a vehicle that was practical, but could still give me some excitement as well.

I do not think the thread starter meant this as a "letx r4ace fer p1nkzz" type of discussion, but quite simply, how does the RDX stack up in terms of quickness to other 4-wheelers on the road. Chill out, folks.

PS - I do not think anyone buying an RDX should be labeled as "young and dumb." As a 24 year old owner, I find that to be a pretty ignorant conclusion.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:17 AM

Not one poster has told a story of irresponsible street racing- go to a evo forum or numerous other 4 banger forums if you really want to read ignorant racing stories-
Originally Posted by ozwaldo
A new GMC Denali was playing with me on a freeway at 80-90 and would not let me pass, I found a quick right/left gap in the three lanes and decided to punch it, I quickly pulled away (love the vtech and turbo), left him well behind as the RDX hit 110.

On what highway are two heavy lumbering SUVs traveling 90-110mph considered "responsible"? I am sorry, but this may just as well have been two pickup trucks racing, or two minivans, or two kids in Civics. This is not something I would brag about, the least of all reasons being that it is potentially unsafe to other drivers/vehicles and considered breaking the law. There is nothing "cool" about it at all in my opinion.

Anyone here can drive any way they want and take their own risks. Just don't expect all the other drivers on the public road -- including people here -- to agree with it or give a thumbs up, and don't be surprised if it is scorned by some of us.

On the flip side, I have no problem with people posting about their track/off-road racing experiences. If anyone is brave enough to take their RDX track racing or to an auto-cross, I am sure we would all get a chuckle out of your experiences.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
On what highway are two heavy lumbering SUVs traveling 90-110mph considered "responsible"? I am sorry, but this may just as well have been two pickup trucks racing, or two minivans, or two kids in Civics. This is not something I would brag about, the least of all reasons being that it is potentially unsafe to other drivers/vehicles and considered breaking the law. There is nothing "cool" about it at all in my opinion.

Anyone here can drive any way they want and take their own risks. Just don't expect all the other drivers on the public road -- including people here -- to agree with it or give a thumbs up, and don't be surprised if it is scorned by some of us.

On the flip side, I have no problem with people posting about their track/off-road racing experiences. If anyone is brave enough to take their RDX track racing or to an auto-cross, I am sure we would all get a chuckle out of your experiences.
Anyone racing another vehicle at high rates of speed on a public road should be scorned, IMO. Not only was the poster talking about 110+ mph but also moving across multiple lanes of traffic doing so. There's no need for it and innocent people die from it. Don't know anyone personally? Well, if only some of us could be so lucky.

Plus, the original poster called for this anyways. He specifically asked about " how many RDX owners have raced their SUV vs other SUV's".
Old 02-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Again, you have a preconceived notion that the RDX is a ‘lumbering suv” have you researched the vehicle you purchased?

Per Acura:

“TARGET CUSTOMER

RDX targets young professionals that are upwardly mobile, work hard and play hard too. The typical buyer enjoys playing a sport, lives in the city, and on the weekends often travels to the mountains, country or coast. This customer wants an emotional and stylish vehicle that offers a higher "eye-point" (driving position) and more cargo flexibility than a sedan – but with the style, handling and performance of a great sports sedan. Thus, the transformable utility of the RDX – along with its engaging performance and handling – is a perfect fit.

…Acura's commitment to making the RDX fun to drive continues with a 5-speed automatic transmission with F1®-style Sequential SportShift Paddle Shifters. But perhaps the most breathtaking feature of the RDX is its Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD™). First introduced in the 2005 Acura RL and then specially adapted for the RDX, the system shifts power to the outside rear wheel to help boost cornering power and steering precision. The level of handling response and driver control provided by SH-AWD™ puts the RDX in a class by itself.

…The RDX rides on 4-wheel independent suspension – specially tuned MacPherson struts in front and a multi-link design in back. The mounting points for the suspension were carefully engineered to reduce the transmission of noise, vibration and harshness into the passenger cabin. Standard 18-inch tires and wheels are a first for Acura, and the 4-wheel disc brakes include a 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and brake assist. Torque-sensing power assist rack-and-pinion steering provides quick steering response with outstanding feel. “

Here are some videos of the rdx and the mdx being drivin hard…
Also notice that the mdx is being drivin by the Acura MDX Project leader

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=608143

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=599611

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=660763

And do not assume that you speak for the collective conscience of the forum
Old 02-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Instructor

i actually got my RDX so i would SLOW DOWN and NOT be tempted to do any of this....i race a 600 RR <--that is my speed fix. Leave racing to the civics and such. BTW: im 25 years old.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Instructor

i actually got my RDX so i would SLOW DOWN and NOT be tempted to do any of this....i race a 600 RR <--that is my speed fix. Leave street/etc. racing to the civics and such. BTW: im 25 years old.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Advanced

I think this is a pretty "cool" thread! We all bought our RDX's for different reasons, and I would challenge any of us on their honesty if they said that the performance and excelleration wasn't one of those reasons. While racing should not be condoned, I don't think any of us should be critisizing others on what they should or shouldn't be doing. Personally, I would love to run a block or so against an X3. So far, I have had a little bit of fun with an RX330 and a Murano...just a 1/2 a block or so......No probs.

Rusty
Old 02-26-2007, 12:01 PM

Again, you have a preconceived notion that the RDX is a ‘lumbering suv” have you researched the vehicle you purchased?
The RDX is nicely powered and handles well for what it is. I love it. But my other car is an S2000 and it can thoroughly humiliate the RDX in any type of sport/track driving scenario, as one would expect when comparing the specs of the two vehicles. The RDX is among the better SUVs out there, but that's as far as I can go and be realistic. It's still an SUV.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bostonbr77
I think this is a pretty "cool" thread! We all bought our RDX's for different reasons, and I would challenge any of us on their honesty if they said that the performance and excelleration wasn't one of those reasons. While racing should not be condoned, I don't think any of us should be critisizing others on what they should or shouldn't be doing. Personally, I would love to run a block or so against an X3. So far, I have had a little bit of fun with an RX330 and a Murano...just a 1/2 a block or so......No probs.

Rusty
Challenge away. I bought it for the tech, AWD and interior comfort....period. I was recently wishing they had decided to offer the CRV engine as an alternative because I'd rather have the gas mileage than the performance....

Mike
Old 02-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by catnippants
Challenge away. I bought it for the tech, AWD and interior comfort....period. I was recently wishing they had decided to offer the CRV engine as an alternative because I'd rather have the gas mileage than the performance....

Mike
Sounds more like you bought it for the big Acura logo on the grill. Why not just get a CR-V with navi? Those have AWD too. Essentially you paid 6-8k for different seats/interior trim? Ooookkkkaayyyy.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by oasis3582
Sounds more like you bought it for the big Acura logo on the grill. Why not just get a CR-V with navi? Those have AWD too. Essentially you paid 6-8k for different seats/interior trim? Ooookkkkaayyyy.

He just said he bought it for the tech, AWD and interior comfort. All 3 things completely different and superior to the CR-V. The big Acura logo on the grill is cool too!
Old 02-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Advanced

It wouldn't be near as fun racing someone if you were driving a CRV, unless of course you wanted to lose every time.

I am thinking that this thread is really about random, harmless (safe) encounters between us RDX drivers vs. other SUV or CUV drivers.

Not really a valuable thread for the fuel economy minded, lumbering SUV driver crowd. (trundlers)

Rusty
Old 02-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SolidState
What would you expect from a 27 year old. Still in the young and dumb phase of life. To tell you the truth, I thought most would grow out of it by 25.
How insulting. Perhaps you should have bought a minivan?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Everybody just play nice. Feel free to post your opinions, but keep it on topic. If you don't like reading about this topic or it upsets you, then don't read this thread anymore.

it's been a while but I feel we need a big group gay hug.....

:gheyhug:
Old 02-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by oasis3582
Wrong...again. Integrated bluetooth (NON-aftermarket), non-touch screen nav, better seats, etc. THAT's why I chose it over the CRV. Otherwise, believe me, I would have gone for the CRV. Don't put words in my mouth. If I wanted a logo, I could have bought a mercedes, bmw or whatever else I wanted.

Mike
Old 02-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Psychobroker
How insulting. Perhaps you should have bought a minivan?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Instructor

While the RDX is somewhat sluggish when it get's going, it's an absolute shocker off the line. My trick off the line is to do the following:

1- left foot brake, right foot gas
2- bring the RPMs up to ~ grand, keep left foot firmly on brake
3- when light turns green lift on brake and stand on gas

Just yesterday I absolutely decimated a Mini Cooper S off the line (like 5-10 car lengths). Like I said AWD is absolutely brutal from a dead stop; especially with a little wetness on the ground.

On the highway I've raced my fair share of sedans: Audi A4s, etc. In those cases it's really more of a "who will go faster" and I usually win. I don't weave in and out of traffic -- but given a relatively clear road I will go fast.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Missin my TSX =(

oh man ive been longing to see this thread.... ive raced sooo many

x3,x5,ml320,ml550, murano, 4runner, explorers, escape(LOL), navigators, gmc craps.... and excalade... i owned all of them... the q7 beat me by a little and the range rover smoked me...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by Nabbs
While the RDX is somewhat sluggish when it get's going, it's an absolute shocker off the line. My trick off the line is to do the following:

1- left foot brake, right foot gas
2- bring the RPMs up to ~ grand, keep left foot firmly on brake
3- when light turns green lift on brake and stand on gas

Just yesterday I absolutely decimated a Mini Cooper S off the line (like 5-10 car lengths). Like I said AWD is absolutely brutal from a dead stop; especially with a little wetness on the ground.

On the highway I've raced my fair share of sedans: Audi A4s, etc. In those cases it's really more of a "who will go faster" and I usually win. I don't weave in and out of traffic -- but given a relatively clear road I will go fast.
lol oh man... dont get me started with sedans... they think they soo baller and cut off a suv... LOL they got it coming... i switch and bam cut them off and they go flooring... and i do the same and good by g35, maxima, a4, a6, tsx, accord, c/e class, lexus... anything worth it.. thing is... here in NYC... theres such a variety of youngers driving a huge variety of cars... and i myself is a younger and i have my pride for my rdx LOL
Old 03-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Instructor

I must admit, although I do not race my RDX. The thought of smok'in somone comes to mind at the light, but sadly, I know I don't have the pickup from a dead stop.
It's better for my tires that I don't. Sometimes, the need for speed overcomes me (for a second) and I pass in the third lane just long enough for the turbo to kick in. That's my smok'in story!
I imagine for those above who live in N.Y.C...well, I can't see them getting very far far either. More like A "smoke"...followed by a light. followed by smok'in tires, and a light...then cops.

Quick Reply: RDX owners, what cars or suv's have you raced against?