RDX one of "Ten Toughest Cars On The Road"

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX one of "Ten Toughest Cars On The Road"

Just thought I'd post this link to an article on Forbes.com for those interested. The RDX (along with a few other Honda cars) is listed as one of the most durable rides out there right now. Good news for me cuz this car is gonna be my primary ride for the next 7-8 years.

Ten Toughest Cars On The Road
Old 03-30-2008, 02:05 AM
Intermediate

Woo! Yet another article that makes me feel good about my purchase.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:43 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
I did not complete reading the article, but after reading the abstract that describes how they reached their conclusions it seems rather valid. I hate reading stupid reviews that do not explain how they have reached their out come and obviously biased decisions.

Case in point, we just received a Consumer Reports car edition and over 70% of the vehicles listed are CR approved rides, talk about whoring out your name for advertising revenue. They should have only sponsored 1 vehicle in each segment to be credible, but it's clear they just want ad money. I like the RDX, but it's not my style as a TL owner, and I, even as a Honda fanboi am concerned about the turbo beyond 100K (Hoping they don't pull an Audi), which to me is where Honda engines make their mark; that is hitting 100+k without worries, and bullet proof reliability.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:07 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

That's a nice A3 they have pictured as an A4 there.

Dougler, CR doesn't accept advertising revenue so I don't think you're complaint is on target.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Instructor

Great news for Honda/Acura,I love my RDX and my wife is getting ready to get either an Accord or TSX(she currently has a 2003 Accord EX )
Old 03-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by The Dougler
Case in point, we just received a Consumer Reports car edition and over 70% of the vehicles listed are CR approved rides, talk about whoring out your name for advertising revenue. They should have only sponsored 1 vehicle in each segment to be credible, but it's clear they just want ad money. I like the RDX, but it's not my style as a TL owner, and I, even as a Honda fanboi am concerned about the turbo beyond 100K (Hoping they don't pull an Audi), which to me is where Honda engines make their mark; that is hitting 100+k without worries, and bullet proof reliability.
Does Consumer Reports print any ads or have any advertising revenue? Personally, I have no problem with them recommending several vehicles if the quality is similar. IMHO, hyping one car as #1 when the rest are very similar is less useful.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:23 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I don't know how can this be said of a car that has been in production for two years...I own one, so before everyone starts yelling at me realize that I love my RDX and hope, as much as the next guy, to have it running for a long time....

This is the first non-Saab car I have had, and all of those were running perfectly to over 150K...besides the high cost of repairs and having to find the "right people" to make them, I am very pleased with them.

My Acura/Honda experience started in January and so far so good (as I should expect for a new car).
Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

I beat my RDX like it's a rental and at 25K miles, no problems, rattles or squeaks.

That's pretty impressive.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
I did not complete reading the article, but after reading the abstract that describes how they reached their conclusions it seems rather valid. I hate reading stupid reviews that do not explain how they have reached their out come and obviously biased decisions.

Don't subscribe to CR anymore, but still have a web account.

In this years ratings a HYUNDAI tops two segments, and beats the Civic. WTF?!?!?
All because the Civic doesn't have ESC standard?!? Gimme a break.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
There are two safety technologies that have had the greatest impact on saving lives. They are Side Curtain Airbags and Electronic Stability Control.

from Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:
In Institute studies, ESC has been found to reduce fatal single-vehicle crash risk by 56 percent and fatal multiple-vehicle crash risk by 32 percent for cars and SUVs. Many single-vehicle crashes involve rolling over, and ESC effectiveness in preventing rollovers is even more dramatic. It reduces the risk of fatal single-vehicle rollovers by 80 percent for SUVs and by 77 percent for cars. If all vehicles were equipped with ESC, as many as 10,000 fatal crashes could be avoided each year.

NHTSA has issued a standard requiring all passenger vehicles to be equipped with ESC by 2012 model years.
Consumer Reports is not just about reliability, they are a major voice promoting auto safety. As ESC will eventually be required, CR is promoting auto-makers that have already complied.

It would be stupid to purchase a 2008 car without ESC, when it has been widely available since 2001.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Those IIHS numbers are staggering, and hopefully true. We won't purchase another car without ESC.

But what was the prediction for antilock brakes? They don't seem to have worked out as well as was hoped.