Rdx Killer

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rdx Killer

First, before I start know that I love Acura’s. I have owned an Integra, my wife drive's an MDX, and until last week I drove an RL. My RL, with a lousy 16MPG had to go in favor of something a bit more efficient. I previously had an RDX for a week while my RL was in for service, and really felt the loss of size from our MDX. A friend took me out in his RAV4, and a day later I bought one.

The RAV4 with 270 HP is faster than a RL, TL, and much faster than an RDX. I have been averaging 25 MPG on my commute, hitting 30MPG on a long trip with regular fuel. In the twistys it is not as sharp as the RDX, but damn close. Additionally it is bigger, I opted for the one with a third row. I have driven nothing but Honda products for about ten years and never thought I would jump ship. I am not writing this to set off RDX owners, I want to know how is it that Toyota can get this much horsepower, seat 7, and still return economy gas mileage on 87 OCTANE GAS??? My RAV4 even blows away the micro CIVIC SI in speed and MPG. Even the Civic SI needs premium gas. The final kick in the butt, the RAV4 is made in Japan and costs 25K. How does Toyota do it?
Old 05-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Check out this link, seems the folks at Motor trend disagree with you. In any event, a person buys what he is most comfortable with. I test drove the Rav with a V6, but in the end went with the RDX and after 7 months still love my decision.

Rusty

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...onclusion.html
Old 05-07-2007, 01:45 PM
07 RDX w/Tech

I drove both. I think the RAV is a great vehicle, it's just not the type of fit and finish I was looking for and certainly has none of the technology that I was looking for.

It's all relative as beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, but I just don't like the way the RAV looks. Even decked out, it just looks cheap to me. I really didn't like the interior and the fit and finish has nothing on the RDX. It's a $25k vehicle - a lot of plastic, no technology, etc...

Toyota wasn't offering anything lower than ~6% or so on financing. So, for a few thousand more I was able to get, IMHO, a superior vehicle with all the options that I wanted.

Now, if I drove for a living, I might have been a little more conscious of fuel economy, but I just don't drive that much. This is my wife's vehicle to shuttle our boys around primarily and the 'family' vehicle we use when we are all out and about. The RDX's safety record and features are superb (I work with a guy who showed me pictures of his RDX that his wife and son were in when it was T-boned and pushed her into another car...the vehicle was totally unrecognizeable and they both walked away from the accident). I have read several reports that put the RDX second to only the Volvo XC-90 in safety ratings...not bad considering that vehicle is a good $20k more...

So, I'll sacrifice a few MPG for a very nice ride, awesome technology and a very safe environment for my family.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Photographer

its a RAV4. have fun driving it lol. it maybe faster in "your" opinion but its boring in mines.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Racer

The RAV4 has great straight-line speed, which is great for drag racing, but the RDX is pleanty fast for anything I am going to do. Twisty roads is where I think the real fun is and that is where the RDX shines.

The interior of the RAV4 is a huge down from the RDX, even with the leather option for the RAV4. The electronics in the RDX are also far superior, even comparing the base RDX to the fully loaded RAV4. Different people will value these features differently.

If the rumored Lexus version of the RAV4 ever appears, that would be serious competition to the RDX. Until then, I would not want a RAV4 as my only vehicle.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaiserseal
First, before I start know that I love Acura’s. I have owned an Integra, my wife drive's an MDX, and until last week I drove an RL. My RL, with a lousy 16MPG had to go in favor of something a bit more efficient. I previously had an RDX for a week while my RL was in for service, and really felt the loss of size from our MDX. A friend took me out in his RAV4, and a day later I bought one.

The RAV4 with 270 HP is faster than a RL, TL, and much faster than an RDX. I have been averaging 25 MPG on my commute, hitting 30MPG on a long trip with regular fuel. In the twistys it is not as sharp as the RDX, but damn close. Additionally it is bigger, I opted for the one with a third row. I have driven nothing but Honda products for about ten years and never thought I would jump ship. I am not writing this to set off RDX owners, I want to know how is it that Toyota can get this much horsepower, seat 7, and still return economy gas mileage on 87 OCTANE GAS??? My RAV4 even blows away the micro CIVIC SI in speed and MPG. Even the Civic SI needs premium gas. The final kick in the butt, the RAV4 is made in Japan and costs 25K. How does Toyota do it?
A major part of the fuel economy equation with the RAV4 lies in it's smart Torque on Demand AWD. For most commuting, the system lies mainly in FWD only, the rear differential not being engaged. When going into a corner, sensors determine when the Rear wheels will begin to engage. Back into a straight line, it's 100% FWD again.
This is very different from full-time systems like that in the RDX or RL, where, in regular driving in straight line on the freeway, it is 50% Front 50% rear, torque distribution.

in addition, many V6 engines can be tuned for using regular gas, and the VVTi-L engine in the Toyota is tuned for a fine balance between adequate performance and economy.

Yes, we have all poindered the same question as you, why a 4 banger is less fuel efficient than the six?
Assuming the following:
1. RDX drivers are not lead-footed (I don't think so... )
2. RDX and RAV4 weight similar (I think the RDX is a little heavier)

the main contributor to the fuel economy difference, with the above assumptions in place, is the fact that the RDX full-time AWD system really eats into the fuel economy.
Plus, as one RDX owner pointed out in the forum here, the variable flow turbo, is always spinning, whether you are light footed or not...

I am in agreement with one of the poster to this thread, the interior quality and design is just not up to par with the RDX, personally.
So to each his own, if it's great fuel economy is all you care about, then go with the RAV4 (4 banger) or CRV. If it's overall performance driving experience, great interior design, general good looks, then the RDX should be your choice...
Old 05-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Go Buckeyes

I agree with the post above.
A couple of other things 1). Why do people keep comparing the RDX to the Rav4, the Rav4 should only be compared to the CRV(Toyota vs Honda). 2.) Since Acura is considered a Luxury Brand, it should be compared to other luxury brands, ie Lexus, BMW and so forth. In this great counrty you pay more for a luxury brand than the basic brand (Toyota/Honda), that just the way it is. Lexus entry level is the (I think) RX350 and it start's at around $37,000 or so before options. That is what it should be compared to, or even the BMW X3. I notice that no compares the Rav4 or even the CX-7 to those luxury brands.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mav238
A major part of the fuel economy equation with the RAV4 lies in it's smart Torque on Demand AWD. For most commuting, the system lies mainly in FWD only, the rear differential not being engaged. When going into a corner, sensors determine when the Rear wheels will begin to engage. Back into a straight line, it's 100% FWD again.
This is very different from full-time systems like that in the RDX or RL, where, in regular driving in straight line on the freeway, it is 50% Front 50% rear, torque distribution.

in addition, many V6 engines can be tuned for using regular gas, and the VVTi-L engine in the Toyota is tuned for a fine balance between adequate performance and economy.

Yes, we have all poindered the same question as you, why a 4 banger is less fuel efficient than the six?
Assuming the following:
1. RDX drivers are not lead-footed (I don't think so... )
2. RDX and RAV4 weight similar (I think the RDX is a little heavier)

the main contributor to the fuel economy difference, with the above assumptions in place, is the fact that the RDX full-time AWD system really eats into the fuel economy.
Plus, as one RDX owner pointed out in the forum here, the variable flow turbo, is always spinning, whether you are light footed or not...

I am in agreement with one of the poster to this thread, the interior quality and design is just not up to par with the RDX, personally.
So to each his own, if it's great fuel economy is all you care about, then go with the RAV4 (4 banger) or CRV. If it's overall performance driving experience, great interior design, general good looks, then the RDX should be your choice...
To add to my comments above,

why did Acura go with the Turbo 4 in the RDX??? i have no real clue...

they could easily have gone with a well sorted smooth running i-VTEC six cylinder with 3.0L displacement, and still provide similar driving experience, albeit no slam in the backseat experience like with the turbo. And factor in regular gas too...

But I am happy to run the turbo in the RDX, lots of fun...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
after driving my first toyota and driving my first acura, im am pretty certain that i will return back to toyota.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bialkoni
I agree with the post above.
A couple of other things 1). Why do people keep comparing the RDX to the Rav4, the Rav4 should only be compared to the CRV(Toyota vs Honda). 2.) Since Acura is considered a Luxury Brand, it should be compared to other luxury brands, ie Lexus, BMW and so forth. In this great counrty you pay more for a luxury brand than the basic brand (Toyota/Honda), that just the way it is. Lexus entry level is the (I think) RX350 and it start's at around $37,000 or so before options. That is what it should be compared to, or even the BMW X3. I notice that no compares the Rav4 or even the CX-7 to those luxury brands.
As a long time Acura owner, I never really thought of Acura as luxury brand. Most Acuras are upgraded Hondas, you don't really get that sense with BMW, Mercedes, and it is becoming less evident with Lexus and Infiniti. My V6 03 Accord coupe, I thought, was much more car than the RSX and TSX. Four cylinder cars, even with the great fours from Honda are still a bit buzzy, and lack the smooth pulling acceleration of a V6. The TL felt better to me, but still within reach of the accord. This is not saying Acura is bad, this is saying the Honda versions are good, and there is less to differentiate them from the Acura version. My first Acura, an MDX was bought before the Pilot came out. They make the MDX look better, the materials are nicer, but in reality it is still a tweaked, high optioned pilot. I bought my last Acura, an 04 RL because I figured if I like my accord this much, Honda must do an incredible job for 50k. My RL was a big disappointment. It was an underpowered, poor MPG car, with terrible resale value. Not in the same league as an 04LS 530 or E class. Luckily I got it for less than half price a year old, but it continued to drop in value to a ridiculous level.

On paper, if you were offered an SUV, which won consumer reports 07 award for best small SUV, had a V6 sport version with upgraded suspension and tranny hitting 60mph in the high 5 second range (07 sport edition) with gas mileage 22/29 4WD regular gas, built in Japan of 100% Japanese made parts, with Bluetooth, a 430 watt JBL 9 speaker stereo with a full sub, 6 disc MP3 WMA, an IPOD input, leather, 7 passenger, fold into the floor seats, curtain air bags, with the highest reliability rating and resale value of any SUV (Consumer Reports) you would have a tough time beating it for under 28K. This feature list is why you see it up against the mini ute of Acura.

The RDX is much prettier, the interior is beyond comparison, but day to day, what is it like to own, the RAV4 gives a lot of competition. The 4cyl CRV is not a performance SUV, but still cannot match the RAV MPG or reliability rating. Toyota, the number one car seller in the world has it together, a tough thing to say from a Honda fan. The new MDX is compared to Luxury SUVs because it earned it, one of the best SUVs on the road. In my opinion, the RDX should have been a bit bigger, with a more fuel efficient 6, very high on performance. Giving it performance a bit less than the Civic Si, diminishes the brand. The time to worry is when they compare the RDX to another 4cyl American made SUV, around the same size, the CRV.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DNPhotography
its a RAV4. have fun driving it lol. it maybe faster in "your" opinion but its boring in mines.
+111111111111
I'm sorry no disrespect to Toyota but give me a break the Rdx is far superior than the Rav4. Yes it may be faster and more efficient but so what the Rdx shines in everything else. And believe me I know the differences because my choice came down to either the Rdx or Rav4.

It just amazes me how stubborn people are. Yes the Rav4 (V6) will smoke the Rdx in a straight line and it gets way better mileage. Do you really think I didn't know this beforehand? I'm sure if anybody put in the slightest effort to do some research while shopping, they would have discovered this. If not, then no offense but I really don't think your complaints or opinions count, if you don't even research on something that your going to pay a lot of money for, then I don't know what to tell you.

I think its about time people stop with all this nonsense and just deal with it. The Rav4 is a great car as is the Rdx. But if all you keep thinking about is how much "better" the Rav4 would have been bla bla bla, then GO GET 1. WE don't need anymore people complaining about this stuff in this forum.

Another thing thats on my mind is that the Rdx was aimed at young urban dwellers who like to squirt through traffic and get out of town on the weekends. Keyword YOUNG. I know as most people get older, they don't want the high performance vehicles that most kids want when they get their license. So enough said, what do you expect when you see older people buying this car? Of course they are going to complain about whatever they aren't happy about. So please people lets just suck it up and deal with it or if you can't then go do something about it.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by porsherules911
+111111111111

Another thing thats on my mind is that the Rdx was aimed at young urban dwellers who like to squirt through traffic and get out of town on the weekends. Keyword YOUNG. I know as most people get older, they don't want the high performance vehicles that most kids want when they get their license. So enough said, what do you expect when you see older people buying this car? Of course they are going to complain about whatever they aren't happy about. So please people lets just suck it up and deal with it or if you can't then go do something about it.
True enough. With two kids a seven passanger rocket with a face only a mother could love is my choice. If my wife ever dumps me (the thought has crossed her mind) the RDX would be my choice. The RAV4 impresses the driver, the RDX impresses everyone else.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:20 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

not correct....RDX is 90-10 highway easy driving....65-45 hard accelleration, 50-50 hard cornering with ability to put full rear 50 to one wheel.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The RAV4 impresses the driver, the RDX impresses everyone else.
IMO you couldn't be farther from the truth.....the RDX impresses everyone including the driving. You can't get the driving experience in the RAV4 that you can in the RDX unless all you drive is 1/4 miles races.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Racer

The Rav4 V6 is a nice truck. I was very close to picking it up before I bought the RDX.

I just couldn't get past the spare hanging off the back, particularly on the sport model I was looking at. When you put a sport suspension and low profile tires on a crossover, you pretty much kill all off-road pretensions. The spare just didn't fit visually, for me.

Also, wasn't wild about the interior, and the Xenons and SH-AWD on the RDX won out.

But congratulations and enjoy - the Rav4 engine is a fine effort by Toyota. Having driving both, I diagree completely with Sasair - its not like very many people track these things, but I would be suprised if the Rav4 V6 sport version with its stiff suspension would be outperformed by the RDX in virtually any sort of road course. It was awfully fun to drive.

But overall, I think the RDX is more livable, and worth the extra dollar or two.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Having done two thorough test drives in the Rav4 V6 before I choose the Rdx, the Rav4 didn't compare at all. Yeah its faster but theres no fun to it. Theres no fun taking corners or just going on a cruise. The ride feels very dull and handling is ok. The rdx on the other hand, while it is a tad slower, is much more fun accelerating with the turbo and is just fun to go cruising around without a destination Plus the SH-awd really does work putting the handling aspect in the complete opposite spectrum vs the Rav4.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:46 PM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Having done two thorough test drives in the Rav4 V6 before I choose the Rdx, the Rav4 didn't compare at all. Yeah its faster but theres no fun to it. Theres no fun taking corners or just going on a cruise. The ride feels very dull and handling is ok. The rdx on the other hand, while it is a tad slower, is much more fun accelerating with the turbo and is just fun to go cruising around without a destination Plus the SH-awd really does work putting the handling aspect in the complete opposite spectrum vs the Rav4.
Totally agree with this statement same as I felt when I drove the RAV4, and the CX7 the RDX was jsut so much more impressive as a total package not even close IMHO.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+111111111111
Hey - I resemble that remark. Same age as Kaiserseal but am enjoying my RDX quite a bit. I've always subscribed to the adage that you're as young as you feel.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
Hey - I resemble that remark. Same age as Kaiserseal but am enjoying my RDX quite a bit. I've always subscribed to the adage that you're as young as you feel.
I'm glad you do enjoy the Rdx because it is a great car Although I will be upgrading cars in the coming months, I'm certainly grateful to have been given an opportunity to drive this car and I'm lucky that I will be passing it on to my mom so I can still drive it whenever I need to... And Yes I'm only 20 and feeling YOUNG
Old 05-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Race Director

Only bad things about the RAV4 is that I tried to build one on the toyota website and I don't think they have an option of HIDs or Navigation, which the RDX has.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Instructor

I'm sure from a performace standpoint the Rav4 is a great vehicle. But I still get a "cheap" plastic feeling seating in and driving a TOYota. I had a Toyata Avalon as a rental vehicle a few weeks ago and it's performance kicked ass, but the fit and finish had a cheap plastic feel to it. On the other hand Acura's have a European quality fit and finish.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 AM
07 RDX w/Tech

I'm glad you do enjoy the Rdx because it is a great car Although I will be upgrading cars in the coming months, I'm certainly grateful to have been given an opportunity to drive this car and I'm lucky that I will be passing it on to my mom so I can still drive it whenever I need to... And Yes I'm only 20 and feeling YOUNG
Apparently, I had the wrong parents.

To think that I drove a 7 year old Honda Accord through college that I bought myself and thought I had it good...
Old 05-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

dude. you have a large set of cajones coming on this board and speaking - what I see as the truth. If youre ever in LA - I'll buy you a beer.

Everybody around here drinks the kool-aid daily and dont wanna hear "The emporer has no clothes" rhetoric. There's a reason the RDX sells so poorly. 6 mos. later - the tech goodies wear off and you are left with a semi poor riding car that gets lousy gas mileage. You made a fair choice, A couple of years from now, I bet there will be a huge hit on resale for the RDX and the Toyota will still be strong.

To be honest, I liked the RAV4, but could not get past the funky climate control knobs and the fact that most of them I see on the road are being driven by girls...
Old 05-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
dude. you have a large set of cajones coming on this board and speaking - what I see as the truth. If youre ever in LA - I'll buy you a beer.

Everybody around here drinks the kool-aid daily and dont wanna hear "The emporer has no clothes" rhetoric. There's a reason the RDX sells so poorly. 6 mos. later - the tech goodies wear off and you are left with a semi poor riding car that gets lousy gas mileage. You made a fair choice, A couple of years from now, I bet there will be a huge hit on resale for the RDX and the Toyota will still be strong.

To be honest, I liked the RAV4, but could not get past the funky climate control knobs and the fact that most of them I see on the road are being driven by girls...
Haha who are u talking about? I will have to respectfully disagree with your point on the Rdx selling poorly. Once again Acura's aim was for the young urban dwellers so this is a very narrow and specific group of buyers they are aiming for. Its not like a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry where anyone and everyone could be looking to buy one.

As for semi poor riding car and lousy gas mileage, I've already stated this i dont know how many times but again if you believe these two statements are true, then this car is NOT for you. Semi poor riding car? I guess the stiff suspension was too much but for the performance enthusiasts, that isn't even an issue. I for one love how stiff it is and love the handling. And gas mileage i dont even want to get started again on this topic. For a 4 cylinder turbocharged engine hauling almost 4000 lbs with a full-time awd system AND looking at the other competitors in its class, the Rdx is right near the top.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 AM
Advanced

This one serves me right. Taking the kids to school this morning we were playing pretend turbo button, making the four wheels chirp. My six year old daughter lost her oatmeal in the back seat. Kudos to Toyota, cheap plastic seems to be puke resistant. On a more somber note, the RAV has a tow package good for 3500 pounds. Since this is quite a bit more than our MDX we are going to use it for the boat this weekend. Does anyone know what the RDX can tow?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fishbulb

But overall, I think the RDX is more livable, and worth the extra dollar or two.
Im a lawyer not an accountant, but does this sound right for five years ownership?

MSRP comprable equipt RAV4 $8000 less

Regular gas with fuel economy 15K mi per year vs Premium low economy
$1300 per year X 5 $6500 less

Expected depreciation off MSRP $10,000 less est.

Maint $2000 less

Total cost difference 5 years $26500

Price paid for my RAV4 $26500

Extra dollar or two?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Instructor

I think someone came here to try to justify the purchase of a Rav4. Call it envy or whatever, but I'm sure some folks here would visit Infiniti's boards once they release the ex35 and justify the purchase of their RDX. As of now for me, my RDX is the ultimate urban trekker and I've yet to visit other car sites to get a reaction from Rav4, CX7, FX35, lexus owners.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Im a lawyer not an accountant, but does this sound right for five years ownership?

Regular gas with fuel economy 15K mi per year vs Premium low economy
$1300 per year X 5 $6500 less

Expected depreciation off MSRP $10,000 less est.

Maint $2000 less

Total cost difference 5 years $26500

Price paid for my RAV4 $26500

Extra dollar or two?
Dear Sir Lawyer:

I can understand your pragmatic approach to comapring the RAV4 and the RDX... i actually was choosing between the BMW X3, Lexus RX330, RDX, and then looked at the CRV and RAV4... The RAV4 build quality and overall looks really can't stand up against the X3, RX330, and even the CRV.

Yes, it is more powerful with the V6, and has better fuel economy (not by much though)... but realize why the difference in the fuel economy... RDX has FULL TIME AWD, RAV4 only REAL-TIME...
They are really different vehicles in their own respect... RDX more performance and luxury (whether you like to believe it or not, it's your own opinion) oriented, while the RAV4 is more utalitarian...

I believe you have the MDX?? Why the MDX?... get the Toyota Highlander Hybrid, gets way better gas mileage, has equal storage space, and with the new V6 coupled with the hybrid, has pretty good towing capacity...
Hmmm... calculating the gas consumption difference between the hybrid and MDX, something like $1000 a year, plus the difference in buying price... depreciation value... over 5 years... $26,000 NOT A DOLLAR OR TWO IS IT? Pardon me if my calculation was a little haste and incorrect...

Look... you bought the MDX for a reason... us RDX owners here bought the RDX for a reason as well... I checked out the RAV4 and knew very well the difference in gas consumption and difference in MSRP price... but I went with the RDX, because it just drives much better and gives more personal satisfaction...

Heck... if you are so concerned with wasting money on cars like the Acura because they are over priced for "trying" to be "luxury" oriented... then go for the KIA... they are priced really well...fully equipped, well built cars and have a great warranty...
Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 AM
2007 RDX CGP/Taupe

Honestly, I purchased the RDX because it met my vehicle needs and desires. I wanted a car with lots of gadgets/technology, a car that could haul items from Home Depot and a car that was sporty and fun to drive.

I agreee that the RAV4 is an excellent purchase decision for a lot of people but it was too plain and boring for my tastes. Had I wanted plain and boring I would have kept my 3 year old Honda Accord (it was the right car for me at the time).

Any point that anyone makes on these forums is perfectly valid given each individuals situation and likes/dislikes. If everyone used the same criteria or thought process when researching vehicles then we wouldn't have as many different types and prices ranges of vehicles as we do now. Each person researches their vehicle purchase in their own way and puts value on certain options, fit/finish, styling, etc. based upon what is important to them and their lifestyles.

I've owned my RDX for 2 1/2 months and have not regretted my decision. I have not lost one minute of sleep wondering whether I should have purchased a different vehicle. I bought the vehicle that met my needs.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Heck... if you are so concerned with wasting money on cars like the Acura because they are over priced for "trying" to be "luxury" oriented... then go for the KIA... they are priced really well...fully equipped, well built cars and have a great warranty...
I agree, but would suggest one of the Hyundai SUVs. never driven them, but they look great and people seem to really like them. Were it not for the "prestige" issue, I know at least a few people who would have seriosuly onsiderd actually pulling the trigger on them.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Animagix
I think someone came here to try to justify the purchase of a Rav4. Call it envy or whatever, but I'm sure some folks here would visit Infiniti's boards once they release the ex35 and justify the purchase of their RDX. As of now for me, my RDX is the ultimate urban trekker and I've yet to visit other car sites to get a reaction from Rav4, CX7, FX35, lexus owners.
I agree. Few people that are buying a RDX will also test drive a RAV4. The RDX is much closer to the Lexus RX than the RAV4. Is he trolling the Lexus forums as well?

I admit that I did briefly look at a RAV4. After sitting in that low budget interior for a minute, I got out and left without a test drive. I couldn't imaging spending hours in there. If Toyota was selling a Lexus version of the RAV4, I might seriously look at that because the RAV4 does have some nice features, but the current version just turns me off.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Advanced

No Thanks, I'll keep my RDX.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=johnny99]The RAV4 has great straight-line speed, which is great for drag racing, but the RDX is pleanty fast for anything I am going to do. Twisty roads is where I think the real fun is and that is where the RDX shines.
QUOTE]

I rolled my eyes till I read the second sentence. People are talking about speed and etc on this forum, but this is an compact SUV, not a sports car. It weighs close to 4000lb, doesn't have aerodynamics like the sports car, and it is not made to go drag race.

I think the power in all 3 cars are plenty for any use. I just wish the RDX came with toyota v6 engine with same gas milege... I would definitely be driving one today if that was the case.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Animagix
Kind of sad. My membership here has been on the RL board, pretty good open discussions. Thanks to the few of you with some insight. Thought it was a pretty good thread, but the insecurity here is too thick. I felt pretty bad with my RL under performing a lot of cars costing 20K less. I understand why a few of you cast insults, when someone brings a like situation to your attention. Perhaps the target hit by Acura with this ride is more immature than young. If you want your board to be limited to closed minds, and closed eyes, so be it. For your curiosity, I did not pose these questions on Lexus or Infiniti boards simply because the RAV is outclassed by those makes. There is a reason Motor Trend compares your ride to affordable SUVs. The RDX is a great looking, well appointed ride. As long as you stay in the right lane, nobody has to get hurt. Be well all…
Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnny99
I agree. Few people that are buying a RDX will also test drive a RAV4. The RDX is much closer to the Lexus RX than the RAV4. Is he trolling the Lexus forums as well?

I admit that I did briefly look at a RAV4. After sitting in that low budget interior for a minute, I got out and left without a test drive. I couldn't imaging spending hours in there. If Toyota was selling a Lexus version of the RAV4, I might seriously look at that because the RAV4 does have some nice features, but the current version just turns me off.
had exactly the same experience.

That and seeing possibly dozens of RAVs sitting in the parking lot at the mall made trading up an easy call.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think you can get a "comparably equipped" RAV4 and RDX.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Acuras since 1988

hey guys don't let this insecure ambulance chaser get to you! I never gave consideration to a RAV 4, but checked out one parked near me out of curiosity. I'm sure its a fine car, but the economy grade interior, and exterior is enough for me not to want to look further. No comparison. Everyone shops and makes their own choice, and there are many fine cars out there. This group is for people who own RDX's, what kind of ass feels the need to come in and basically say I'm so much smarter than you? Thers no insecurity here, just surprise that this guy can be so arrogant ( and not know it!)
Old 05-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sasair
I don't think you can get a "comparably equipped" RAV4 and RDX.
Definitely true. Even a fully loaded RAV4 is a big step down from the base RDX. If they put a better interior in the $30K version of the RAV4, I might have considered it. And you can't get a nav system or high end audio system in any version of the RAV4.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stevenm
hey guys don't let this insecure ambulance chaser get to you! I never gave consideration to a RAV 4, but checked out one parked near me out of curiosity. I'm sure its a fine car, but the economy grade interior, and exterior is enough for me not to want to look further. No comparison. Everyone shops and makes their own choice, and there are many fine cars out there. This group is for people who own RDX's, what kind of ass feels the need to come in and basically say I'm so much smarter than you? Thers no insecurity here, just surprise that this guy can be so arrogant ( and not know it!)
+1... Shall I go to the X3 forums and make a thread called X3 Killer? hahaha They dont need that kind of stuff in their forum and we don't need this garbage in here.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Mr Lawyer comes into this forum, and blatantly suggested that the difference in price between a RAV4 and RDX was too much, and that they were comparable, and that from his calculation, it seemed stupid to pay that amount for the RDX.

Now he says we are immature...

But wait, he is a lawyer right... that is the way they talk and deal in their court debates... they have to be SELF-CONFIDENT... So that is okay... as expected...

Quick Reply: Rdx Killer