Is RDX a chicks car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is RDX a chicks car?

I would say 80% of rdx on the road that i see are driven by women, just like lexus rx.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:09 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I think a lot of people might say that it is.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:12 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
not only that, I just dont see the point of an SUV with the same amount of space & seating as a car. I love the MDX, shopping for one for the wife now.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:49 PM
big shot.

same amount of space as a car? how big is your trunk?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:31 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Smaller than yours & my seats dont fold down but still enough space to get by. All a matter of preference I guess.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:39 PM
2nd Gear

I don't think so. I'm about 3 weeks away from picking up a used one and I'm a 40 year old male. Why have i chosen an rdx ? simple.. i love Acura/honda.
-awd
-leather interior
-stylish interior
-navigation
-bluetooth
-horsepower
-cargo room
Old 05-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you afraid that someone is going to mistake you as a woman when driving the car? You might have some other issues then.

Who cares what people think of you when driving the car. If you like the car and it provides you everything that you need, and it's in the right price range, then buy the car.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
not only that, I just dont see the point of an SUV with the same amount of space & seating as a car. I love the MDX, shopping for one for the wife now.
You must not have kids in carseats. Sedans/wagons suck for putting the kids in and out. Crossovers pretty much always have more interior room than a sedan with an equivalent footprint. The extra height allows a more upright sitting position--in effect more legroom for the same horizontal space since your lower legs are more upright. Plus the RDX in particular has a flat rear floor despite having driven rear wheels, making the middle position more livable than pretty much any sedan with driven rear wheels.

MDX is a boat compared to the RDX. Third row seats are pretty much useless when you have little ones--the car seats block the seat backs from folding down. Need a van or the giant GM crossovers to be able to use it. Nicer interior and superior cargo room, though. I like the 2010 update better on the MDX than the RDX, too. The six speed might help narrow the acceleration performance gap (have not seen any new figures).

Oh, MDX's are mostly driven by women, too. Maybe not to the same degree as an RDX, but I would be shocked if it is much less than 2/3.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

^ thats what my wife says about the higher ride height & car seats...nope we dont have kids yet, guess she's prepping us for them. We're looking at MDXs but I'll get her to drive an RDX see what she thinks.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

^ thats what my wife says about the higher ride height & car seats...nope we dont have kids yet, guess she's prepping us for them. We're looking at MDXs but I'll get her to drive an RDX see what she thinks.
I had a WRX wagon before the RDX. It is way, way easier to deal with kids in the RDX. Once the kids are fully mobile and can get into and out of the car themselves, I'll probably go back to a sedan.

The MDX is nice. I think it has a better "image" than the RDX, so a lot of people talk themselves into buying more vehicle than they need. It absolutely does have a more luxurious feel than the RDX, and is no slouch in terms of performance. I like the way the RDX feels like it has just a thin coat of luxury and practicality over a more sporting chassis. The sportiness is a little more muted and distant in the MDX, which may suit others just fine.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Advanced

hmmm... im intending to take the rdx as "my own" once we move to a house and potentially buy a cr-v for the wife. i guess im the 20% of the male population owning an rdx then LOL. (on the other hand, im also considering the tsx and giving the rdx to wife). really depends on the budget once we move.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
big shot.

Smaller than yours & my seats dont fold down but still enough space to get by. All a matter of preference I guess.
yea that and the simple fact that you are way off in your space assessment of car vs suv lol the point of the RDX is to get the space you cannot have in your car with a smaller trunk and non-folding rear seats while retaining a sports car like drive and smaller size to boot. but thats just stating the obvious.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Instructor

I agree with a lot of these guys. It's all about how well it suits you and how well it does what you need it to. I'm in my 20's and I like it because it can take me to work every day, it can look nice when I clean it up and take it out somewhere, and it get a little mud on the tires on the weekend, it's pretty comfortable for 2 people to take a road trip in...

I'm sure a lot of women who drive RDX's have their reasons for wanting it. It's not a huge boat, it has space for kids, it has room for stuff in the back, it looks nice, etc. Those are some of the reasons why my fiance is gonna get this car in a couple of years, and then I can get a TL.

Last edited by VietNinjaJ30A1; 05-25-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:31 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would say the MDX is a chick's car...as well as the Lexus RX, the Pilot, Suburban and most all bigger 'kid carriers'

I don't see many chicks in the RDX, but thankfully, I don't see too many RDX's out there like those other SUV's...

Those are like a$$holes... everyone has one.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Boost Enthusiast

It's the turbo, bro. Makes the RDX sexy. Haha.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:33 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
^
Can't argue with that, lol.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 PM
big shot.

but about the original poster/thread - i actually do think its a chick suv...unless you pick it in a dark color, but the only people i see driving them are women, but that doesnt even make any sense. the original targeted demographic for the RDX was 'urban' empty nesters working young biz ppl etc blah blah maybe they swung n missed, judging from the 2010, id say they really distanced themselves from that audience

the reason why i say it doesnt make much sense is because everything about the RDX is performance oriented ... there is not much daily cruiser buiilt into the truck at all, its loud as hell (imo) but cool if you like that (like the turbo - which i never had a problem with) the ride is unrefined but obviously sporty, and its features like paddle shifters (which when released, the RDX was i think the only car to use them in the lineup?) were all aimed at tech & performance, just the turbo alone was the RDX's main marketing ploy - which is why it doesnt make sense that 40-50 yr old women, or even men, at least where i live, are driving these things. its the furthest thing from any complacent cruiser. When im at the dealer the majority of ppl i see looking at these things at least on appearance look like g'mas. o well
Old 05-26-2010, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

The issue imo really comes down to marketing. It seems to me that car makers usually go after men with image, suggesting that having a big truck or sports car makes them more tough and manly.

Of course, big trucks and sports cars are not very practical for most people, and the rdx is neither. Whether it is accurate or not, conventional wisdom says that women are more likely to be drawn to a practical car, and if you ask me, I think the rdx is a pretty darn pratical compromise between sports car and suv.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MMike1981
but about the original poster/thread - i actually do think its a chick suv...unless you pick it in a dark color, but the only people i see driving them are women, but that doesnt even make any sense. the original targeted demographic for the RDX was 'urban' empty nesters working young biz ppl etc blah blah maybe they swung n missed, judging from the 2010, id say they really distanced themselves from that audience

the reason why i say it doesnt make much sense is because everything about the RDX is performance oriented ... there is not much daily cruiser buiilt into the truck at all, its loud as hell (imo) but cool if you like that (like the turbo - which i never had a problem with) the ride is unrefined but obviously sporty, and its features like paddle shifters (which when released, the RDX was i think the only car to use them in the lineup?) were all aimed at tech & performance, just the turbo alone was the RDX's main marketing ploy - which is why it doesnt make sense that 40-50 yr old women, or even men, at least where i live, are driving these things. its the furthest thing from any complacent cruiser. When im at the dealer the majority of ppl i see looking at these things at least on appearance look like g'mas. o well
btw, on our dealership orientation, my wife and i attended, the other person attending was a 50 yr old woman... to our surprise, she also had an rdx. both of us got surprised -- maybe the turbo IS targeted for older women (as hearing has prolly degraded LOL).
Old 05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
The 08 RDX is my wife's car and I have the TSX. There have been threads over the years saying the TSX is a chicks car also. I've never been mistaken for a chick in the TSX (6’3”, 330lbs, military high & tight hair style).

I think people are confusing the size of the car with its functionality. All because there is a smaller version of a family of vehicles does not mean it is for a chick. The RDX was the perfect size for my family of 3 for a daily driver and weekend getaway CUV. My son is 12 and he already passed up his mom in height. When the time comes, we will then look at the MDX because we need the extra room and functionality.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by elcheapo
btw, on our dealership orientation, my wife and i attended, the other person attending was a 50 yr old woman... to our surprise, she also had an rdx. both of us got surprised -- maybe the turbo IS targeted for older women (as hearing has prolly degraded LOL).
lol then there you go
Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
big shot.

...the TSX is a 100% chic car, hands down. thats my opinion but a pretty strong one lol
Old 05-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

lol then there you go
Subaru dealerships are crazily mixed. Punks looking at WRX's next to Joe Family buying a Tribeca next to Earth Boy test driving an Outback. You just never know. People buy cars for lots of reasons.

Last edited by brizey; 05-26-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:30 PM
big shot.

earth boy, hahahahah
Old 05-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Burning Brakes

earth boy, hahahahah
Glad you liked it. I think I made it up on the spot. This, along with "poop barge" that I picked up from bodybuilding.com today may have to enter my regular internet vocabulary.

(It wasn't used this way where I read it, but isn't "poop barge" an awesome term for a bad car? Or maybe I just need to get more fresh air.)

Last edited by brizey; 05-26-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: SDpeeeellinggg
Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 PM
big shot.

i think it really comes down to PRICE when buying an RDX. it may be the elephant in the room, or it may be its greatest feature, but price is what sells the RDX to those who cross shop this with any other car, or whatever sex may be buying it. that is my theory.

Those who tend to be more sensible buyers (possibly older women) who want something better than a Honda but dont want (nor care) about further prestige of a german brand go for the RDX. imo, thats how the RDX sells...quite frankly i dont think the main buyer of this vehicle really gets into the performance nor the sporting ride (which maybe explains why more older women buy it?); the enthusiasts obviously do which is why we are here on this board (both men & women), but the typical buyer? im pretty sure i doubt it. Its about getting something better than a CRV, and something not 'too' expensive, and of course a reliable sensible decision. Maybe women, or its chic car label, is because the RDX is a more rational sensible decision to higher priced cuv's.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Intermediate

Quick Poll

Strikes me most of the posters to this thread are males. Seems to be the case across the RDX board. Doesn't mean most owners aren't females but it's a small albeit unscientific sample. Nonetheless--I agree with several others--it doesn't matter. It's the 21st century and I'd prefer to make car decisions based on the car--not who else buys it or doesn't. Parsing things according to gender or race or ethnicity or...I don't get it.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 AM
big shot.

i dont think anyones trying to put gender or even ethnicity into a box (dont think ethnicity or anything like race was ever even brought up till just now) its just identifying a demographic, nothing more nothing less...i could care less who buys what, as im sure many others dont care either, but also, there is nothing wrong at all with labeling something as a chic car, i mean, 'built ford tough' with cowboys dropping stupid shit into the beds of their trucks, thats certainly going after a certain audience, absolutely nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with slapping a label on a car, just the same reasons why certain people want to purchase (and be seen) in a BMW etc - things are synonymous with branding as well as the models within the brand

girls wana drive tsx's and if ur a guy driving a tsx, yes you made a good decisions (allegedly) but u r also driving a CHIC CAR!!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
In a lot of families, the man frequently drives the "nice" car and the wife drives the family car. Therefore the wife ends up with the van or SUV even though the man drives when the whole family is together in the SUV.
I also do not think that a woman is as worried about how she looks in a car as does a man, especially if she is the one running the kids to school etc. A man is passionate about his truck or his sports car but I don't often hear a bunch of women standing around talking about cars.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Interesting thread. Finishing my lunch with a chuckle. My 2 cents.

My wife hates vans. When the kid was small she did like her Pathfinder, it served it's purpose. Had my RDX 10 months and she has yet to drive it. She loves her IS250. I think it's an expensive Corolla!! About 60% +/- of RDX I see in my area are driven by women. They mostly don't look 50ish.

I am 53 and I like being able to get in and out sideways, rather than down and up. Much better access than the CL I was driving. Guess this is what happens when you get 'old'. The main reason I bought it though, I love driving it.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation really...?

This thread is so silly, how subjective is this conversation? I am 26 year old male I leased my 07 pearl white RDX when I was 23. Any car/vehicle can be considered a chick/guy car. Lets say a woman pulls up in an Ford F-150 lightning is it a chicks car? I think not but im sure some women own that vehicle... In closing i believe all cars are bi-sexual...
Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by VeNeNo
In closing i believe all cars are bi-sexual...
Except for Cadillac SRX - Mary Kay Edition :p
Old 05-28-2010, 06:37 AM
Racer

No complaints about my RDX. Especially when I see lots of dudes and their "cooler rides" stuck in the Cleveland winters!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgold35
The 08 RDX is my wife's car and I have the TSX. There have been threads over the years saying the TSX is a chicks car also. I've never been mistaken for a chick in the TSX (6’3”, 330lbs, military high & tight hair style).

I think people are confusing the size of the car with its functionality. All because there is a smaller version of a family of vehicles does not mean it is for a chick. The RDX was the perfect size for my family of 3 for a daily driver and weekend getaway CUV. My son is 12 and he already passed up his mom in height. When the time comes, we will then look at the MDX because we need the extra room and functionality.
hmmm... strike another plus one for the rdx female driver- wife decided to "sequester" the rdx from me (she'll be sole driver) and we agreed that id just get a new vehicle after we move to the burbs (at least i get a new ride LOL).

i might end up with mr gold's arrangement of tsx/rdx. (my "should one up" in me tells me i need at least as powerful and expensive vehicle than hers! LOL)

i mentioned earlier i like the rdx to be mine with the (potentially new) crv to be my wife's... now that the rdx is hers (she likes the power, the whir of the turbo, the big center console most especially - not found in the crv so cant argue with her on that), does it still make sense to buy another rdx? or shld i go TL/TSX? if i buy another rdx, at least it evens out the demographics (+1 for male and +1 for female LOL). note that this wont be for another 6 mos or so but just thought this post about gender was timely enough
Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Elcheapo - Why not look at the ZDX? I've always thought it was weird for a family to have two of the same cars but it's totally a personal preference. I like variety so I would totally look at the TL or ZDX depending on what you're looking for. That's of course if you want to stay in the Acura family. Now if you want to look elsewhere then the options are plentiful as well?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by phoward_15
Elcheapo - Why not look at the ZDX? I've always thought it was weird for a family to have two of the same cars but it's totally a personal preference. I like variety so I would totally look at the TL or ZDX depending on what you're looking for. That's of course if you want to stay in the Acura family. Now if you want to look elsewhere then the options are plentiful as well?
ideally id like to continue with honda ive had good experiences with hondas. reliability is very impt for me too. personally, id rather go with the "looks" of the TL over the ZDX. i wonder when the tsx will have sh-awd - that will be the clincher for me (but i 99.9999% doubt tsx will ever have sh-awd). at any rate, thanks for the ideas and will keep lurking on this thread for lunchtime amusement
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 AM
big shot.

sometimes its ok to have more of a good thing; if you love the RDX, and it suits your lifestyles, 2 is better than 1. Id do it, my gf's family did it, (2 A4's all the time) i dont see any problem in not diversifying the driveway lol
Old 05-28-2010, 11:17 AM
big shot.

too me, the RDX is SO MUCH MORE VEHICLE THAN THE TSX WILL EVER BE. yes the tsx is cheaper, but my rationale with the tsx will forever be; buy a V6 honda accord (including nav) and call it a day or buy something from another maker. The USB adapter and interior of the TSX are not enough for me to pay the same price for a 4cyl as i would for a fully loaded V6 Accord. I like the TSX, but was more of a fan of the last gen vs the current gen, and i prefer the current Accord over the current tsx.

el cheapo - need AWD? get a G37 over a TSX and the TL. If space is a priority, then maybe that will shorten your list of 4drs....Want a V6 sedan and save some cash - accord V6. or, just get another RDX - imo, id get another RDX (if it hadnt been restyled at least lol) - when im thru with my RDX, ill be heading to another brand unless Acura does some drastic things to it). Imo, RDX or G37/AccordV6. IMO, the TL AWD is a really pricey vehicle and doesnt really do anything as good or even better than its competition. Yes reliability is big, but if size doesnt matter, id get a G37 no matter what. We have a FWD TL in the fam, and i can honsetly say its a WHALE of a car and just feels, to me, like a nicer improved accord...dont get me wrong, nice car, but a snore.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Cruisin'

Ask any mom, any real mom. It doesn't matter if you drive suv or a cuv; ur rdx is a chicks car.

Last edited by vicious_image; 05-28-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced

too me, the RDX is SO MUCH MORE VEHICLE THAN THE TSX WILL EVER BE. yes the tsx is cheaper, but my rationale with the tsx will forever be; buy a V6 honda accord (including nav) and call it a day or buy something from another maker. The USB adapter and interior of the TSX are not enough for me to pay the same price for a 4cyl as i would for a fully loaded V6 Accord. I like the TSX, but was more of a fan of the last gen vs the current gen, and i prefer the current Accord over the current tsx.

el cheapo - need AWD? get a G37 over a TSX and the TL. If space is a priority, then maybe that will shorten your list of 4drs....Want a V6 sedan and save some cash - accord V6. or, just get another RDX - imo, id get another RDX (if it hadnt been restyled at least lol) - when im thru with my RDX, ill be heading to another brand unless Acura does some drastic things to it). Imo, RDX or G37/AccordV6. IMO, the TL AWD is a really pricey vehicle and doesnt really do anything as good or even better than its competition. Yes reliability is big, but if size doesnt matter, id get a G37 no matter what. We have a FWD TL in the fam, and i can honsetly say its a WHALE of a car and just feels, to me, like a nicer improved accord...dont get me wrong, nice car, but a snore.
yep, i hear ya mike. for me, the rdx is the "best value". space does NOT matter 100% (however, vehicle size/body structure does - eg. if involved in a collision, id still want to be "competitive" and not be a "honda fit", that is, undermatched). reliability matters, 100% (hence no audis for me even if they're nice - eg Q5, A5). looks like ill have to go nissan, er, infiniti potentially based on what ive read (work colleague loves his g37 AWD too).

Quick Reply: Is RDX a chicks car?