Is RDX a chicks car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:18 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by vicious_image
Ask any mom, any real mom. It doesn't matter if you drive suv or a cuv; ur rdx is a chicks car.
a real mom, as opposed to what, a fake mom or a mom whose actually is not a mom because she doesnt have kids lol

decent statement
Old 05-28-2010, 05:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX is a very nice ride. I do not see many around these parts. The driver's that I have seen are pretty much split 50/50. Chick car? Well, at least it isn't as much as say a CR-V.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:52 PM
7th Gear

I hope not, I'm picking up mine on Monday
Old 05-30-2010, 12:55 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by HabsSuck
I hope not, I'm picking up mine on Monday
Let us know what you think, and post pics!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Intermediate

its def. a chick car...9 other kids at my (very small college) have them and they are all chicks...not complaining though, having something in common makes for a good conversation starter ;-)

this car seems to be more gender-neutral in canada where it is much more popular
Old 06-01-2010, 11:21 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
One thing you gotta consider, do you want to drive a "chick magnet" or a "dick magnet". Certain cars are geared more for males like a Corvette Z06 or Lotus Elise. If you ask most women, the majority will lean more toward a Porsche 911 or Jaguar XF before picking a Hummer H2 or Dodge Viper because of the sex appeal compared to brute force.

I think the Acura product strike a good balance of style, form, function, and a subconscious appeal to both male and female. It almost like that saying "I don't know art; but, I know what I like".

I always liked the RL; but, my wife feels it is an older person’s car (like Buick/Lexus/Caddy). Cars she does like are Audi S5, Jaguar XF, or Acura ZDX. I purchased the TSX and RDX because my wife liked the cars and she picked out the colors. If mamma happy, everyone is happy!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by mrgold35
One thing you gotta consider, do you want to drive a "chick magnet" or a "dick magnet". Certain cars are geared more for males like a Corvette Z06 or Lotus Elise. If you ask most women, the majority will lean more toward a Porsche 911 or Jaguar XF before picking a Hummer H2 or Dodge Viper because of the sex appeal compared to brute force.

I think the Acura product strike a good balance of style, form, function, and a subconscious appeal to both male and female. It almost like that saying "I don't know art; but, I know what I like".

I always liked the RL; but, my wife feels it is an older person’s car (like Buick/Lexus/Caddy). Cars she does like are Audi S5, Jaguar XF, or Acura ZDX. I purchased the TSX and RDX because my wife liked the cars and she picked out the colors. If mamma happy, everyone is happy!

Sounds like a man who's happily married. Words I live by.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just bought one for my wife yesterday. Ever since we started researching the RDX, we've paid more attention to them on the road. I'd guess that where I live in Indiana, 9 out of 10 are driven by women. But then again, I drive a 2005 Swagger Wagon XLE so what do I know.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Advanced

I'll have to admit, I dismissed this thread at the outset. But then people started making thoughtful and insightful posts.

Consider that the original VW beetle was just a hard working family runabout and often a favorite of (male) tuners. But the New Beetle -- with it's built-in flower vase -- is exclusively a chick car. Furthermore, quite possibly the Momma of all chick cars is the VW Cabrio (especially in triple white). There's obvious demographic targeting in that marketing and the product positioning.

Consider that tobacco has been marketed in men's and women's versions for decades. Essentially the same product as an elegant fashion accessory or a rough cowboy's reward. No inherent gender appeal -- just marketing.

But the Mazda Miata was a British sporting man's roadster with Japanese reliability. When did the Miata go gay? Certainly, Mazda marketing didn't plan that. They even tried to rename it the MX5.

The RDX plays in a different segment though, and in a different time. As MMike1981 pointed out, the RDX was originally targeted to upscale urban hipsters who want to escape the city on weekends. But, in spite of the stiff ride, the car buying world views it as a family cross-over and that market campaign has gone by the wayside.

Today women represent 50% or more of the decision making in major purchases....such as family cross-overs. Honda must be very careful to broaden the RDX appeal to both men and women. The stiff suspension and turbo may satisfy the man, but the ride height and utility often appeals to the woman.

Note that the hood-scoop for the turbo intercooler could well have been placed on top of the hood, where it would announce "badass" to the world. Instead the intercooler ducting is slyly routed under the hood and only hinted at by the high center part.

Perhaps more women drive the family RDX, but if it weren't for women, there would be fewer RDXs.

Last edited by Samdog-1; 06-02-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The RDX was my daily and is now my wife's. I drive it on the weekends and prefer the upright seating posture over a sedan.

Last edited by SinCity; 06-02-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:39 PM
10th Gear

My wife loves hers!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:25 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

This thread was the OP's first and last post, lol.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, everything has the potential to be a chick's car. I had a 350z which majority of males drove until it got affordable (and people found out it was easy to drive).

Mainly all cars: muscle and high end performance import... slap an automatic transmission on it and boom... instant access for female drivers.

I mean look at Scion which is a brand directly thrown at the younger crowd... now count how many "older" drivers you see in scion xb's...

In the end... testosterone boils down to: chick's car huh, well watch this chick car destroy your vehicle.

Glad I've graduated from this.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an RDX, but my Gf drives it. she doesnt like her civic, and there is NO WAY she is gonna drive my Audi wagon.

so yea, kind of a girls car, but more by default then say a ford edge---total chick suv
Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
i hope so, its one of the reason i bought. it was to attract girls. just like once in a bar i tried a girl's drink and that's how i met my ex lol.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:06 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Old 06-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking this morning while driving to work about this thread. You know, now that the S2000 is gone, the RDX is probably the most performance focused vehicle Honda makes. While they advertise the TL as a performance vehicle, it just doesn't stack up very well against its competition in terms of performance. The TSX V6 is close, but really the RDX is the only vehicle Honda makes that has compromised other aspects (ride compliance, weighty features like assisted liftgates, power seats, etc.) to wring out more performance. Not exactly attributes of a typical chick car.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

^
Duly noted.

This thread isn't going anywhere anymore.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Samdog-1
I'll have to admit, I dismissed this thread at the outset. But then people started making thoughtful and insightful posts.

Consider that the original VW beetle was just a hard working family runabout and often a favorite of (male) tuners. But the New Beetle -- with it's built-in flower vase -- is exclusively a chick car. Furthermore, quite possibly the Momma of all chick cars is the VW Cabrio (especially in triple white). There's obvious demographic targeting in that marketing and the product positioning.

Consider that tobacco has been marketed in men's and women's versions for decades. Essentially the same product as an elegant fashion accessory or a rough cowboy's reward. No inherent gender appeal -- just marketing.

But the Mazda Miata was a British sporting man's roadster with Japanese reliability. When did the Miata go gay? Certainly, Mazda marketing didn't plan that. They even tried to rename it the MX5.

The RDX plays in a different segment though, and in a different time. As MMike1981 pointed out, the RDX was originally targeted to upscale urban hipsters who want to escape the city on weekends. But, in spite of the stiff ride, the car buying world views it as a family cross-over and that market campaign has gone by the wayside.

Today women represent 50% or more of the decision making in major purchases....such as family cross-overs. Honda must be very careful to broaden the RDX appeal to both men and women. The stiff suspension and turbo may satisfy the man, but the ride height and utility often appeals to the woman.

Note that the hood-scoop for the turbo intercooler could well have been placed on top of the hood, where it would announce "badass" to the world. Instead the intercooler ducting is slyly routed under the hood and only hinted at by the high center part.

Perhaps more women drive the family RDX, but if it weren't for women, there would be fewer RDXs.
I struggled with this "image" issue when I was trading in my 2005 Evo VIII to Acura.

My wife was sick of a not being able to drive the Evo, and we're on the cliff of starting a family, so we needed more "urban utility" (ie, if we go to Ikea to get furniture, we can, and not have to rent a truck or whatever). . .so I toyed around with the idea of Mitsu Wagon, Audi A3, WRX Wagon, the RDX.

A real spectrum of choices!

I wanted a turbo and AWD (I live in the northeast), and wanted at the minimum heated seats and HIDs for my late-night driving (gets dark here fast in the winters).

Literally only the Audi A3 and RDX met those requirements (Mitsu and Subaru just didn't have those amenities).

And between the two, I wanted the A3 because I felt that the RDX was too chick-like.

But the handling, ride, quick-turbo spooling, and of course all the tech-goodies make it actually pretty chick-unfriendly.

Choice made!

(we ended up buying a 2010 TSX 5 months later since my wife's Red Jetta had a $3k repair bill, now the Jetta is a chick's car for SURE!)
Old 06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by shivaswrath
I struggled with this "image" issue when I was trading in my 2005 Evo VIII to Acura.

My wife was sick of a not being able to drive the Evo, and we're on the cliff of starting a family, so we needed more "urban utility" (ie, if we go to Ikea to get furniture, we can, and not have to rent a truck or whatever). . .so I toyed around with the idea of Mitsu Wagon, Audi A3, WRX Wagon, the RDX.

A real spectrum of choices!

I wanted a turbo and AWD (I live in the northeast), and wanted at the minimum heated seats and HIDs for my late-night driving (gets dark here fast in the winters).

Literally only the Audi A3 and RDX met those requirements (Mitsu and Subaru just didn't have those amenities).

And between the two, I wanted the A3 because I felt that the RDX was too chick-like.

But the handling, ride, quick-turbo spooling, and of course all the tech-goodies make it actually pretty chick-unfriendly.

Choice made!

(we ended up buying a 2010 TSX 5 months later since my wife's Red Jetta had a $3k repair bill, now the Jetta is a chick's car for SURE!)
What did you end up doing with the Jetta?