RDX 3200 mile road trip update

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RDX 3200 mile road trip update

Currently in WY, Mount Rushmore is something else! The scenic view is awesome. The RDX runs well at high speed, quiet and handling well all the I-90W roughness. I am impressed with the residual gusto the turbo engine has even at 80 mph, when I called on it to accelerate pass some slower moving cars, it moved to pass the cars from 80 mph to 100 mph rapidly with no issues.
Overall long distance ergonomics is not bad, the driver sitting position is quite comfortable, even when driving for 5 hours straight.
I am amazed at the strength of the turbo engine even when the RDX is loaded with stuff to the max in the trunk with stuff and sitting 2 adults and 1 kid.
Will be taking the RDX through yellowstone natl park today.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
looks like living in boston rubbed off on you - 80-100mph? take it easy u canadian
Old 07-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, it is a great on the highway!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
TOTALLY agree! Our trip last year driving to Las Vegas was the most fun I've had in a vehicle since the sports car days!!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Burning Brakes

So far, only managed to have the RDX washed once in an automated car wash. The front of the car has so much bugs stuck on it. Hopefully will be able to find a suitable automated car wash here in this town in MT.

The winding roads in Yellowstone park has been really fun to test out the RDX handling and the paddle-shifters. I tried to minimize the use of the brakes and use the gear-shifting to adjust the speed in/out of a corner. Some of these roads in the yellowstone park have like 150 degree hair-pin turns...

I realized that most brand name gasolines out here in the mid-west to westcoast, like EXXON/Mobil, Conoco/Philips/76, Shell, Quik-trip, Chevron, Texaco are Top-tier gasolines. When I was still in the new england area, I noticed that none of the gasolines are rated as top-tier, with the exception of Shell. The latter is quite hard to find in the new england areas.

Will probably have the engine oil/filter, trans fluid and rear trans axle fluid changed at the dealer once I get in the Seattle area.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am really enjoying your periodic updates. Enjoy the resy of your trip.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I also agree, it is a great on the highway! I was doing 80mph to 100mph when i drove it to Mackinaw City and the turbo responded great....:p
Old 07-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Burning Brakes

After 6 long days of driving and sightseeing, we finally crossed the state border into Washington today. Man, we are so pleased to see the evergreen pines, and mountains the Northwest is famous for! I am so thankful for the Trip computer which assured me that I should have enough gas to clear the mountain range and get to Spokane. I was little nervous when I looked at the gas gauge and it was pretty darn low and I was still about 50 miles away from Spokane and in the mountains. Would suck if I got stuck without gasoline in the mountains. But the Trip computer indicated I should have enough gas to get to my destination. Well, thank God, we made it. Would not say we were running on fumes, but it was pretty darn close. Got to the gas station, and filled her up with good old Texaco premium with Techron.

Actually the RDX has been running really smooth.

I finally managed to get the RDX washed, in the local car wash here in Spokane. It is not touchless (soft cloth), but it sure did get all the crap washed off the car, added clear coat protectant and did the tire shiine and underbody washed as well. All for $6!

So glad to see all the familiar gas stations available here in washington state, Chevron, Texaco, Shell, Conoco/Philips 66, all top-tier gasolines. But gasoline here is noticeably more expensive than Massachusetts.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
also had a great time on our trip last year, because from Colorado Spgs. to LV & back, all through windy, mountain roads. Very fun to drive. Great power & handling. Just a fun CUV to drive. I think we averaged just under 24mpg for the whole trip. Not bad for aggressive type driving 1/2 the time! (In corners, no one around hardly) not in cites!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lrpba300
also had a great time on our trip last year, because from Colorado Spgs. to LV & back, all through windy, mountain roads. Very fun to drive. Great power & handling. Just a fun CUV to drive. I think we averaged just under 24mpg for the whole trip. Not bad for aggressive type driving 1/2 the time! (In corners, no one around hardly) not in cites!
Checking the trip computer, while average speed was ~ 75 mph, mean fuel consumption is ~ 23 mpg. This included a lot of i-vtec'ing the turbo, to pass vehicles on mountain roads...
Old 07-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Pro

I have had 3 SUVs prior to the RDX (Grand Cherokee, ML320, FX35) and the RDX has been the most comfortable on road trips.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

We have finally arrived in Seattle last saturday, the scenic mountainous north west. Had to get use to the 55mph speed limit now.

I sent the RDX for a thorough car wash at a Brown Bear premium car wash station. Got it sparkling clean, and then proceeded to polish off any remnant bug stuff on the front bumper and side mirror housings, with Voodoo polymer polish/sealant. Been running the RDX on mainly Chevron and 76 gas, the cheapest gas price I could find was ~ 2.95 per gallon. I really miss the lower gas prices in the new england area.
But you win some, and you lose some. At least most branded gasolines here are top-tier.

Navigating around the Seattle Puget Sound area has been comparably much easier than in Boston/Mass. The Navi has not yet gotten "lost", like it always did while in the Boston new england areas. Most of the area is "grid" like, and so if you get lost, you simply turn around. I recall in the Boston area, if you get lost, good luck... spend about 30 mins figuring out how to get back.
The interstate hwys are all somewhat user friendly as well, switching from one to another is clearly highlighted and not too confusing, as compared with the new england areas. In regards to the latter, I remember get lost everytime I tried to leave the logan airport to go back to my house in Acton. The RDX navi was not too helpful then.

Overall, this cross country trip has shown that the RDX is a capable performer, comfortable and the turbo ivtec engine is very smooth and quiet, even on acceleration. Handling is good for a CUV. The only downside is the gas consumption, which for mostly highway driving ~ 10.3 L per 100km is not the greatest. But this included climbing inclined roads and going through mountainous regions. On flat roads ~ 75mph, I checked the trip computer, and the fuel consumption was ~ 8L per 100 km, still not the greatest.

I think it would do the RDX fuel economy a good thing if Acura put a 6 or 7 speed autotrans in it.

Overall love this vehicle.