Rattles and Fixes and A/C compressor noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattles and Fixes and A/C compressor noise?

Hi All, I just purchased my new RDX (carbon bronze, base) this week. I have about 1,000 miles on it already and love the way this vehicle drives. I do have a couple of rattles and have a service appointment for this week.

-One rattle seems to be coming from the moonroof. It is faint but very consistent. I hear it in my right ear when driving.

-The second rattle is fainter still and seems to be coming from the left B-pillar; perhaps around the seatbelt assembly.

-Also, my A/C compressor fires up noisely when sitting at idle about every 20 seconds. It runs for about 15 seconds, shuts off and then comes on again. It does this continuously. Is this normal?

Any advice or suggestions regarding the rattles and the A/C will be greately appreciated.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zznalg
Hi All, I just purchased my new RDX (carbon bronze, base) this week. I have about 1,000 miles on it already and love the way this vehicle drives.

-Also, my A/C compressor fires up noisely when sitting at idle about every 20 seconds. It runs for about 15 seconds, shuts off and then comes on again. It does this continuously. Is this normal?
Congrats on your purchase! Hope you get the rattles fixed OK. I haven't noticed any rattles in mine....yet.

The AC compressor is normal. The only solution for it is to turn your AC off, but being in new mexico that probably isn't an option for you.

Acura says:
The RDX’s condenser fan uses a 160-watt motor
with a 120-watt motor in the subfan. The TL’s
condenser fan, by comparison, has just an
80-watt setup. The RDX’s condenser fan runs at a
higher speed and decibel range to do its job, so it
sounds noticeably louder. And it cycles more
often than other A/C condenser fans to handle the
RDX’s high-efficiency evaporator requirements.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Instructor

I've noticed one consistant rattle coming from the drivers side headrest. It goes away when the headrest is in the lowest position, but is always there when the headrest is up. Probably an easy fix.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by omgacuralol
I've noticed one consistant rattle coming from the drivers side headrest. It goes away when the headrest is in the lowest position, but is always there when the headrest is up. Probably an easy fix.
I'll try driving with my headrest down and see if that solves it. If so it should be an easy fix at service. Thanks.

Also, I'm glad my A/C is working properly. Just too bad it's so audible.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

I just narrowed down the "sunroof rattle". It is not the headrest as I tried lowering both front ones as well as removing them completely. No avail. However when I applied and maintained pressure on the headliner to the rear of the sunroof at the mid-line of the vehicle, the rattle stopped. It returned when I released pressure. This ought to help the service dept. make the fix.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zznalg
I just narrowed down the "sunroof rattle". It is not the headrest as I tried lowering both front ones as well as removing them completely. No avail. However when I applied and maintained pressure on the headliner to the rear of the sunroof at the mid-line of the vehicle, the rattle stopped. It returned when I released pressure. This ought to help the service dept. make the fix.
Yes. I have exactly the same noise & "fix" like you. I'll have the dealer look at it when I get in next time.