Rattles-Care-And other thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattles-Care-And other thoughts

All,
I have been lurking for well to long and I wanted to let all of you know that your tips, tricks and complaints have been very helpful in my 2 year love hate relationship with my RDX.
I bought a 2007 RDX in October of 2006 and it’s probably about the 6000 one made.
Problems known in general order of repair
The driver door near the handle where the flip open change holder is not *fit* to the rest of the plastic. Fixed by dealer
The lights above the driver which house garage opener and other items stopped functioning to light up when the door opened. Fixed by dealer, they replaced the whole unit.
Then the head unit on the CD player went out. It never completely died, it gave me back my CDs but it wouldn’t play CDs. Replaced by Dealer.
Then the rear passenger door speaker went out. Replaced by Dealer.
Then we noticed that the tweeters in the back above the passengers head sounded really weird when playing low resolution music. The sound would come in and out when on Double Surround setting. The dealer said they did an update to the computer or something. I think it’s fixed.
Then the passenger front speaker went out. Also noticed that the breaks were grinding which was especially loud when going down hills. 25000 miles on the car at this pont. Also the triangular speaker cover was warping. Also, the car makes a “Muted clicking sound” which sounds like its coming from the VSA switch. This is especially loud when turning right but mostly only over bumps and not really consistently. Also, the car makes a rude farting noise when I start it. It’s really more of an errrrrrrrrreaaaaa noise. I figured out (with some help from this board) that the noise is most defiantly coming from the heating and cooling doors on the driver and passenger sides. They make a noise when the temperature changes or when I start up the car may adjust the doors all the way to the next extreme which causes the noise to happen. To replicate this noise for the dealer I figured out that if I cycle the temperature all the way to HI and down to Low one step at a time you can hear the motors or doors moving. Gottcha.
So what happened with the above pagargrahe. Well, the dealer found not one but 2 speakers were out (making a total of 3) the front pass tweeter speaker and the front PS door speaker. They for free resurfaced the front rotors and replaced the front brake pads. This made a huge difference but still considering upgrading to the yellow stuff this thing stops like a truck. They could not replicate the muted clicking sound; I think it’s getting worse so that should be left for next oil change. The farting door noise was not fixed, it’s now slightly worse or the same I think. They replaced the door mixing motors on both the passenger and the driver side but it didn’t help. On an upsetting note I heard that dash board creaking noise last week for the first time but it hasn’t made it since. They replaced the triangle speaker cover that was warped but it still looks warped to me. Thanks guys for pointing it out now I’m obsessed at looking at this thing that’s 3 centimeters out of place.
Getting 17.5 MPG avg.
Yeah fuel is 2.99 per gallon in Thousand Oaks.
Oh for those people who have had the A6 and B service? They still get me for $$$ It seems for an oil change but I have yet to have anything but A1 service come up on the car at 25500 miles. Maybe next time 40% oil life left.
Oh TSX was given as a loaner for the above last list of repairs took them 3 weeks to do. And that thing is way better then a V6 dodge charger (rented last week), but is now way as fun to floor as an RDX!!!
Oh since I probably won’t post for a while again. I noticed that today I set my navi to go somewhere and the display started showing me the exit ramp cutting of the right half of the map 7 miles before I was supposed to get off!!! What the hell is that has anyone had that happen?
Old 11-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Reading about all your problems with your RDX gave me a headache! Wow. Sorry to hear about all your RDX issues. The only problem I've had in the 5 months I've had my '08 RDX was a failed passenger side window switch which was quickly fixed by the dealer.

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RDX LA
All,
Also, the car makes a “Muted clicking sound” which sounds like its coming from the VSA switch. This is especially loud when turning right but mostly only over bumps and not really consistently. Also, the car makes a rude farting noise when I start it. It’s really more of an errrrrrrrrreaaaaa noise. I figured out (with some help from this board) that the noise is most defiantly coming from the heating and cooling doors on the driver and passenger sides. .
Purchase my rdx in March 08 and have the same problem above. Hearing vibrating sounds from passenger side especially if car in stop mode =cant figure out. It is making th same noise wuth my 98 rav 4,
Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Advanced

26 months and 30K miles (50,000KM's) and not a single problem. Was actually the first one to be sold in my city which was kind of cool.

Pads and rotors needed changing / resurfacing (did myself with a buddy) a couple months ago.

Even after driving around in V8 Audi S4's and BMW 335i's I'm always surprised how tight the RDX still is. No driveline noise or slop, interior is rattle free.

Still a fun vehicle to drive, especially in the snow.

Would actually consider getting another one, which is strange, because when I first got the RDX I didn't like it. Now it's grown on me. I do wish the suspension was a tad softer and steering a big lighter, but that's about it!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I feel the same way. I have just reached the point where I need servicing (B1), need new brake pads, need 4 new tires soon, just about to hit the 50k warranty expiration, probably need new shocks soon. I was considering getting a new vehicle rather than do all this work, but I don't have any complaints about this vehicle and it is still fun to drive. If I get a new vehicle I would strongly consider another RDX.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:06 PM
1st Gear

Exclamation Engine Temperture Light Warning

I would like to share an experience regarding my 2007 Acura RDX w/technology package that was exactly 368 days old and only had 11,051 miles when the problem began. I had left work one day and drove about 2 miles and was on the freeway when the engine temperature warning light came on This warning shows up as a picture of the temperature gauge displaying in the information part of the dash and it begins to beep. This is the first time I had ever seen this warning so I proceeded to get over to find out why the light was coming on. However I did not make it to the side of the road before my navigation screen started flashing different warnings (for example it stated that the VSA was no longer working and something about the breaks are no longer working) suddenly the car stalled and steam/smoke started to come out from under the hood. The was a mile or two after the light came on just enough time to try to get over to the side of the road in rush hour traffic. So I got about 4 miles from work when this happened.
The car was towed to an Acura dealership and I was called the next day and informed that a pin size hole was in my radiator and it needed replace. They also mentioned a sensor that might need replaced however everyone denies that there is a sensor and is not sure where I got that information. Needless to say I was told to file a claim with my insurance. However when I called to check on the status I found out that the Engine locked up and that only the engine would need replaced and it would cost over $8,000 dollars. The service manager at the dealership discussed the possibility of it being covered under warranty and the district manager said no because it is a result of the radiator and not a mechanical malfunction. Then the insurance stated that because of the size of the hole they questioned the timeframe and said it was a mechanical malfunction and they denied the claim. So I had to pay a lawyer to send letters to Acura and the insurance so that someone would step up and fix the car. The first to cave was the insurance so they sent the check to cover the amount of the engine and radiator. With that said Acura is now telling me that they found metal fragments and anti freeze inside the turbo section and now needs an additional $2664.00 from the insurance to fix it.

I find this extremely alarming that and engine would lock and start to break up immediately after the so called “warning light” came on. I did exactly what the manual said by getting over right away and find out why the warning came on. Acura is claiming that an object it the radiator but neither I nor they can say for sure. I do know whatever it was it did not hurt or ding any part of the car except for the radiator. The service manager chalked it up to dumb luck.

The moral of this story is that you might want to flip your information gauge to show the engine temperature because if that warning comes on your engine is toast. I had no idea what was happening until that light came on because I tend not to go through the information while driving. I am not sure why it is not displayed on the dash like the rest of the Acura models but I do know that it is going on 5 months since I have drove my car (but of course I have to continue to make the payments) I just hope no one has to go through this experience and if you do please let me know.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Other than a muted clicking in the front which I can only notice on cold mornings and snow packed roads and a few rattles, my RDX has been trouble free for about 18 months now.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Racer

Only rattle I have left to take care is from the rear top cargo tray, it doesn't like the cold period.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess I am the only one that had a bad rear diff. My front speakers are blown. I am thinking about going aftermarket.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well...I wish I could say mine was trouble-free, but it hasn't quite been that. I can say it's been rattle free the whole time we've had it which is just under 14k and just under a year. Below is what's been changed/fixed in order of occurrence.

-TPMS Warning. TPMS showing dashes where tire pressure should be for entire system. Dealer replaced RF sensor when I took it in for the first service. Cleared up for about 800 miles.

-TPMS Warning again...same as 1st and 2nd issue - Dealer replaced LF TPMS sensor. Cleared up for 1000 miles.

-TPMS warning again..same as 1st issue. Dealer replaced RF TPMS sensor and reflashed TPMS computer and rotated tires. Cleared up for 500 miles

-Whistle coming from foot area of passenger side when air was on recirculate and going hwy speed (65+mph)...did not matter what setting the climate control was on, noticed "double-vision" in the rear view mirror when the anti-glare was on, cruise control button on steering wheel would not stay on and of course the TPMS warning yet again. Same issue as before...dashes where tire pressure should be. Dealership replaced air box air flow control motor, harness and internal seals. Issue fixed. Replaced rear view mirror. Issue fixed. Replaced cruise control button. Issue fixed. Reflashed TPMS computer again and replaced another sensor along with rotating tires again. Can't remember which sensor this time...lost track. Fixed for about 60 miles and now it's back yet again.

For a Honda product I'm pretty disappointed in the TPMS issue. The dealership said they've only seen this in one other vehicle and ended up replacing his entire TPMS system after his 6th time in. I'm on my 4th time in within the 1st year of ownership which qualifies as a lemon in Colorado. I'm still deciding what I want to do at this point and intend on talking to the Service Manager this time around to see what he has to say. My wife and I love this car and would not hesitate to get another one, but this might be our opportunity to go to the MDX since our family of 2 will be growing in the near future. We had one as a loaner the last go-round which ended up being almost a week and a 700 mile road trip and were impressed with it. Definitely a completely different animal than the RDX, but that's exactly what it's supposed to be...more of a family wagon.

Just out of curiosity...anyone else have the TPMS issue like this? Not where you get a warning and one of the tires is either low or high, but the entire system crashing out.

Last edited by LuvMyRDX; 02-06-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:17 AM
Instructor

zero problems in 26 months here (38,000km or so)
Old 02-08-2009, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

At 6 months and 7000 miles, my first problem has surfaced: My nav screen is dimming to the point of uselessness. I'm waiting for it to do it consistently before I take it to the dealer (I really hate the "we couldn't replicate it" excuse).
Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Well...

Here is my story.
I bought my RDX in October 2006.
My first problem was the rear bumper.
Somehow the parts were totally wide open so I can put my hand in there.
Dealer took care of it quick enough.

Second at last fall,
I never noticed that, RDX has map DVD player at front. (below the dash)
I opened the cap and looked into DVD player.
I heard a lot of noise of scratching DVD.
The dealer changed whole unit for me and the DVD map was up to dated.

I got interested to connect my iPhone(now 3GS and will be using iPhone).
People think to connect for music but I want the video thru my NAVI.
I've researching a unit for couple of month so far.
I just ordered the unit calls harmless video interface.
While I am doing that, I had to take the side part of DVD player to check he cable.
Also I had to find out how many pins does cable has to be?
Every online electric shop asks for it.
I called any online stores, dealer, and other dealers.
But no one told me that they know.
So I figured it myself.
It is 20 pins. 10 pins in each row of the cable.

While I was checking actual unit, I found out that driver's speaker sounds wrong.
My coworker figured it that the speaker scratched out or something.
Of course I called dealer and tell them to fix it.
Customer service asked what year is your RDX? - mine is 55000 mileage.
They told me that speaker has warrenty for 4yrs and some monthes I don't really remember.
But that I know is it is not under warrenty cuz it is over 50000 mile. It only covers upto 50k miles.

What is next ??

I will be installing my video interface to my car in this weekends.
If someone want to see/know how to install it, let me know.

But I at least want to see your mods. And I also want to see how did you install yor mods if you keep them with video or something.

Micah.