private sale of car - stepping stone to RDX

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
private sale of car - stepping stone to RDX

This thread sort of spun itself out of the "what did you have to get rid of" thread.

I am selling my '93 RX7 (part of the process of purchasing an RDX) and believe to have found a buyer. The RX7 is a great car and I have owned it since it left the dealership way back when. I just reached a point where I don't have the time to enjoy the RX7 like I used to... ok ok... let me get on with it.

To my point, I am in NJ and the buyer is in NC. When/if we arrange a convenient time for him to come up and bring the car back to NC, what do I need to consider??

- payment by certified check / bank check - will I be able to confirm this is good before he takes off down the road?

- do I ask for a copy of his driver's license / a utility bill (maybe a phone bill that shows his address and phone number / maybe even proof of insurance (his policy #)?

- I know I need to take the plates but I guess I need to make sure he knows he will be driving the 500 miles back to NC with no plates

- I could advise him to contact his insurance co. with my VIN and start the insurance process - advise him to drive with this fax in his possession (that he'll have the signed over title will also help him in the event he is pulled over for no plates)

- an "as is" bill of sale with VIN, mileage, description, etc

What am I missing? Any advice? I will attempt to contact NJ Motor Vehicle services to see what advice they have.

Thanks so much! I know this isn't directly RDX related but it is definitely putting me ALOT closer to actually joining the RDX community... looking forward to it...

Sorry for the long post ; )

sbp
Old 03-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
When I sold my sport bike, the deal was only final after I received:

1) cashier's check in the amount owed

2) signed and fully executed sales agreement detailing item purchased and conditions - date, amount, condition of item, parties involved, etc...

I reviewed the cashier's check and noted all of the security measures and felt 100% comfortable with the fact it was indeed a real check.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by sbpwjm
This thread sort of spun itself out of the "what did you have to get rid of" thread.

I am selling my '93 RX7 (part of the process of purchasing an RDX) and believe to have found a buyer. The RX7 is a great car and I have owned it since it left the dealership way back when. I just reached a point where I don't have the time to enjoy the RX7 like I used to... ok ok... let me get on with it.

To my point, I am in NJ and the buyer is in NC. When/if we arrange a convenient time for him to come up and bring the car back to NC, what do I need to consider??

- payment by certified check / bank check - will I be able to confirm this is good before he takes off down the road?

- do I ask for a copy of his driver's license / a utility bill (maybe a phone bill that shows his address and phone number / maybe even proof of insurance (his policy #)?

- I know I need to take the plates but I guess I need to make sure he knows he will be driving the 500 miles back to NC with no plates

- I could advise him to contact his insurance co. with my VIN and start the insurance process - advise him to drive with this fax in his possession (that he'll have the signed over title will also help him in the event he is pulled over for no plates)

- an "as is" bill of sale with VIN, mileage, description, etc

What am I missing? Any advice? I will attempt to contact NJ Motor Vehicle services to see what advice they have.

Thanks so much! I know this isn't directly RDX related but it is definitely putting me ALOT closer to actually joining the RDX community... looking forward to it...

Sorry for the long post ; )

sbp
1: Certified bank check for the full amount. (Not a person check)
2: Use his License to make out the bill of sale. (This way you can also jot down his info)
3: Provide him with Vin so he can buy insurance before hand and before he makes his trip to you.
4: He can get a temp reg in NJ so he can drive it back home and get it registered in his state.

Just make sure you pull the plates and the any NJ registration off the car.

Henry
Old 03-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Intermediate

update - buyer wants to use my plates for the drive home and then express mail them back to me on monday...

what do i need to worry about here?

i'd rather suggest he find some of his own plates and take whatever risk he is taking on his own and leave me out of it...
Old 03-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Newbie for Life

update - buyer wants to use my plates for the drive home and then express mail them back to me on monday...

i'd rather suggest he find some of his own plates and take whatever risk he is taking on his own and leave me out of it...
All he would need to do is show an officer the sales agreement, title and other paperwork.

IMO, there's no need for him to have your plate. When I sold my bike, I kept my plate and the guy drove the bike home with no questions asked with no plate.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
500mi on 95 is a longg way with no plates. esp with an RX-7 that i'm sure he will be driving the shit out of on the way down.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a good idea to let your plates go. If anything happens between his place and yours. You maybe held liable.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

tripp11,

that is what i originally proposed... drive down as "innocently" as possible with no plates but with the signed over title (obviously with a current date) and i suggested he obtain a fax letter from his insurance company stating that the car is insured on his policy...

he might get stopped once or twice... but wouldn't likely get ticketed...

if he is afraid of being stopped because of no plates i suggested he could use plates from another one of his vehicles but that is illegal (as far as i know).... whereas driving down with no plates... you at least have a "good story"...
Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Newbie for Life

tripp11,

that is what i originally proposed... drive down as "innocently" as possible with no plates but with the signed over title (obviously with a current date) and i suggested he obtain a fax letter from his insurance company stating that the car is insured on his policy...

he might get stopped once or twice... but wouldn't likely get ticketed...

if he is afraid of being stopped because of no plates i suggested he could use plates from another one of his vehicles but that is illegal (as far as i know).... whereas driving down with no plates... you at least have a "good story"...
He'll have all the necessary items to illustrate he legally owns the vehicle and purchased it on said date.

I would bet he doesn't even get stopped, and even if he does, all he has to do is show the officer the sales agreement and title.

This is such a minor issue, it shouldn't even be a sticking point with your buyer. People buy and sell cars every day via private party avenues.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Instructor

is it a twin turbo? I owned an rx8 which was a piece of shit NA motor which burned more gas and carried far less people than a hummer.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

animagix,

yes.. the 93-95 RX7 has a twin-turbo 255hp rotary engine..

i would have expected your RX8 to carry less people than a HUMMER : )

even fewer people fit in the RX7...
Old 03-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Instructor

my point was no 1.3 liter engine in a small car should return 12mpg under normal driving conditions.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Intermediate

sounds like we have our answer...

buyer called NC Motor Vehicle Services and is allowed to use the plates from the car he just turned in for a period of 20 days... so it sounds like he will legally be able to use his old plates to get home...

animagix, kidding just kidding... the post just read funny... i was being facetious hence the : )
Old 03-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Instructor

gotcha =P
Old 03-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced

If he gets in an accident, and is just holding the title it is not good for you. I purchased a car for my son in NY State. I was able to go to the state and get a temporary Tag. I would not want someone driving the car until it is in there name. The NY state thing was a pain in the ass. You need 6 points of ID, since 9/11. It worked out fine and much safer for you as the seller. You can drop your insurance until the title is transferred out of your name.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Intermediate

once he decides he wants to buy the car... he gives me the bank check and we both sign the title on the back and the car is "sold".. he has stated he will provide a copy of his drivers license and a copy of a utility bill...

he has already contacted his insurance company with the VIN and will be carrying a letter from his that insurance company indicated the car is covered on his policy...

he also will have tags tied to his name and residence in NC and confirmation that these plates (pulled off his car that was just turned in) can be used for a short period of time... i believe he has 20 days to use them on a "new" vehicle...

i will call my insurance company as soon as the deal is done and remove the car from my policy...

i think we are good to go... no?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Newbie for Life

once he decides he wants to buy the car... he gives me the bank check and we both sign the title on the back and the car is "sold".. he has stated he will provide a copy of his drivers license and a copy of a utility bill...

he has already contacted his insurance company with the VIN and will be carrying a letter from his that insurance company indicated the car is covered on his policy...

he also will have tags tied to his name and residence in NC and confirmation that these plates (pulled off his car that was just turned in) can be used for a short period of time... i believe he has 20 days to use them on a "new" vehicle...

i will call my insurance company as soon as the deal is done and remove the car from my policy...

i think we are good to go... no?
Yes, you're fine. You might also want to consider a formal "sales agreement" outlining the details of the purchase, and if it would make you feel better, include a clause that he assumes all liability and responsibility for the vehicle after signing.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Intermediate

opps... yes Tripp11... forgot to mention that but i pulled down the "bill of sale" spreadsheet from carbuyingtips.com

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/download.htm

seems like a thorough "bill of sale"...

thanks all for the great advice!